My PC just DIED, don't know why. Need help to find out

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ro_tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ro_tan
Member since 2004 • 43 Posts
All the info is here http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27056946&msg_id=316567644#316567644
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
why dont you post it here?
ro_tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ro_tan
I got a ACbel 550W gold edition about 3 yrs old. Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz 3GB DDR3 RAM ATi Radeon HD 4870 MSI X58 Pro Motherboard. 320 seagate HDD 3yrs old n I reformatted it about 3 times I've been having strange anomalies with my PC. My pc freezes (i can hear sound from the speaker repeating really fast) when i play or watch videos(using VLC) and I have USB power surge warning whenever i plug in my external HDD. I had a vpu recovery message while playing Empire total war once. [edit] I reinstalled windows and sometime after that (2-3restart to install drivers) another blue screen of death. I also have been getting alerts, something about USB power surge whenever I plug my External HDD. Is this because of my PSU or my new GPU? Some time ago i've got a VPU recovery message. I didn't take it seriously but now I think that i got this because of PSU, but then again it might be the GPU, Im confused. [edit2]BTW Windows won't start, I get blue screen of death when it's loading, but reinstalling and reformatting seems to fixed it, until I plug my external HDD, then BOOM blue screen. Now after reformatting windows can still run but I still don't know whether it is the GPU or PSU or even my motherboard. What do u guys think? [edit3] I have reformatted and (this is after the installation of the drivers, It was after restart and i noticed that Windows loads slower then ussual)now my keyboard and mouse doesn't work. It only works in BIOS. Now The HDD is also a suspect. I'm still not sure whcih one is causing the problems
dackchaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 dackchaar
Member since 2005 • 3668 Posts

could be your motherboard dieing out possibly, or your powersupply has gone hay-wire? don't really know to be honest

ro_tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ro_tan
but my motherboard is new. however my HDD and PSU is 3yrs old. Hmmm
MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MaoTheChimp
Member since 2008 • 1727 Posts

Again, it's probably your PSU. Reading over your other thread has shown the symptoms leading to this, the random BSOD's, the USB surge, which was likely caused by a out of spec voltage or bad voltage ripple. I suggest replacing the unit immediately which will hopefully cure the problem (unless it has already damaged some of your hardware).

MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MaoTheChimp

Epic fail on my part. dackchaar may be correct, a faulty motherboard can also cause the same symptoms. I shouldn't give advice when I'm this tired :P

Best way to check is trying another system with this PSU or trying your current system with a different PSU.

Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 UltimateGamer95
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts
but my motherboard is new. however my HDD and PSU is 3yrs old. Hmmmro_tan
It's the PSU!
ro_tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ro_tan

Epic fail on my part. dackchaar may be correct, a faulty motherboard can also cause the same symptoms. I shouldn't give advice when I'm this tired :P

Best way to check is trying another system with this PSU or trying your current system with a different PSU.

MaoTheChimp
Thats a great idea, I'll do it if my sister let me do it on her PC(lol I'm the one who build it for her) btw Just reinstalled windows. Now my Pc seems to work fine, still getting a usb power surge message. I also just remembered that after reinstalling windows(the 1st time after installing new mobo n CPU) I might not install the VGA card driver properly, I skip the drivers inside the CD and directly install the one in drive D: (ati catalyst 9.6) Could this be the cause of the problem??? Or is it still the PSU.
ro_tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ro_tan
Ok guys I haven't got the new PSU yet but I think i know where the problems are coming from. I think it was ATI Tray Tool 1.6 beta. Maybe ati tray tool is not compatible with my ATI HD4870. Now the anomalies disappeared
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 UltimateGamer95
Ok guys I haven't got the new PSU yet but I think i know where the problems are coming from. I think it was ATI Tray Tool 1.6 beta. Maybe ati tray tool is not compatible with my ATI HD4870. Now the anomalies disappearedro_tan
Well you should get a new PSU just in case. A new PSU would certainly be a welcome addition to your system.
chris4355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chris4355
Member since 2007 • 266 Posts

you can always go to a computer hardware store and have them check out your PSU. i went to bestbuy and just did that today because I had the same problem, turns out it was my motherboard.

UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 UltimateGamer95

you can always go to a computer hardware store and have them check out your PSU. i went to bestbuy and just did that today because I had the same problem, turns out it was my motherboard.

chris4355
Yeah it will almost always be the power supply or motherboard when your PC dies. Usually the motherboard is almost guaranteed to be dead. So how much did best buy charge you just out of curiosity?
MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MaoTheChimp

[QUOTE="chris4355"]

UltimateGamer95

Yeah it will almost always be the power supply or motherboard when your PC dies. Usually the motherboard is almost guaranteed to be dead. So how much did best buy charge you just out of curiosity?

I've always had video cards and CPU's fall out faster than mobo's :?

chris4355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chris4355

he did it for free actually.

I know, I couldn't believe it either. He had this little ipod shaped black tool, where he could plug in the PSU wires inside to test it out. took him 3 minutes

UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 UltimateGamer95

he did it for free actually.

I know, I couldn't believe it either. He had this little ipod shaped black tool, where he could plug in the PSU wires inside to test it out. took him 3 minutes

chris4355
Yeah that Pod shaped tool is a power supply tester. I could have easily done the same thing. You can purchase power supply testers online so that you won't have to make a trip to the store.
chris4355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chris4355

as long as they do it for free, aint no problem for me its 2 minutes away

UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 UltimateGamer95

as long as they do it for free, aint no problem for me its 2 minutes away

chris4355
Oh wow gee that's cool. But since I'm a pro I like doing it for myself.