Most Optimized PC Games

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

QuitoFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 QuitoFOOL
Member since 2004 • 289 Posts

I wanted to start a thread about the games that are actually made well for the PC. Meaning games that look good while running great, aren't buggy or problematic, have controller support, etc.

Here's a list of how I would rate my games on how well optimized they are for the PC

Every source engine game ever - 10.0

F.E.A.R. - 10.0

Doom 3 - 10.0

Burnout Paradise - 10.0

Unreal Tournament 2004 - 10.0

Devil May Cry 4 - 9.9

Resident Evil 5 - 9.9

Borderlands - 9.8 (huge fps hit from AA/not available in game)

Warcraft III - 9.8

World of Warcraft 9.8

Fallout 3 - 9.6

CoD4: Modern Warfare - 9.5

Modern Warfare 2 - 9.0

Just Cause 2 - 9.0

Dead Space - 8.5 (anti-aliasing and v-sync problems)

Dragon Age: Origins - 8.5

FarCry 2 - 8.5

Crysis - 8.0 Vanilla/9.5 with mods

Battlefield Bad Company 2 - 8.0

Mass Effect - 7.5

GTA IV - 7.0

The Sims 3 - 5.5

Need to try:

Dirt 2

Unreal 3

ninjabeaver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ninjabeaver1
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts
Is Sims 3 that buggy? Devil May Cry 4 10.0 F.E.A.R and any other games that use Doom 3 Engine 10.0 Unreal Tournament 3 10.0 Dirt 2 10.0 I'd knock a further .5 points off Dead Space for being anti V-Sync as well.
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
[QUOTE="ninjabeaver1"] F.E.A.R and any other games that use Doom 3 Engine 10.0

it doesn't use the doom3 engine
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
[QUOTE="ninjabeaver1"]Is Sims 3 that buggy? Devil May Cry 4 10.0 F.E.A.R and any other games that use Doom 3 Engine 10.0 Unreal Tournament 3 10.0 Dirt 2 10.0 I'd knock a further .5 points off Dead Space for being anti V-Sync as well.

I have absolutely no problems playing Sims 3 on the PC.
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

eh mentioning Dirt 2 and Modern Warfare isn't quite right - why?

Well it's "optimized" because they run on pretty old textures combined with some great game effects - same about FEAR2 or all Source games such as HL2 episodes with included HDR and other nice effects.

which game is more optimized? DiRT2 or NFS: Shift? DiRT2 will probably run on every gaming rig, Shift you need some decent modern gaming rig to run in on max textures and effects on

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Wut your rating is messed up Fallout 3 9.5? Yeah right... Mw2? Uhm, no leaning.... Dirt 2 should be number 1, scales immensely. Or maybe Unreal Tournament 3 based games, they scale on multiple graphics cards and cpu wonderfully. I have not seen any other game engines scale like these do
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Fallout 3 - 9.6

QuitoFOOL

You're funny.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

[QUOTE="QuitoFOOL"]

Fallout 3 - 9.6

Barbariser

You're funny.

I have it on the 360 but there are a lot of people who have problems with this game. For one of my friends, it crashes every 15 minutes.

QuitoFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 QuitoFOOL

Is Sims 3 that buggy? Devil May Cry 4 10.0 F.E.A.R and any other games that use Doom 3 Engine 10.0 Unreal Tournament 3 10.0 Dirt 2 10.0 I'd knock a further .5 points off Dead Space for being anti V-Sync as well.ninjabeaver1

Oh yeah I forgot about FEAR and Doom 3. Those games ran ridiculously well.

QuitoFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 QuitoFOOL

Wut your rating is messed up Fallout 3 9.5? Yeah right... Mw2? Uhm, no leaning.... Dirt 2 should be number 1, scales immensely. Or maybe Unreal Tournament 3 based games, they scale on multiple graphics cards and cpu wonderfully. I have not seen any other game engines scale like these doJigglyWiggly_

First of all, how does no leaning make a game unoptimized? That was a gameplay decision.

Also other than Fallout 3 crashing maybe 3 times over my 100+ hours on it, it gets a perfect 10 for running great, looking great, and having fantastic controller support (the pipboy even changes when a 360 controller is detected).

Sims 3 may have been patched since I played it, but when it first came out the framerate was erratic.

I'll look into Dirt 2, haven't tried it yet.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

- Sims 3 runs great

- GTA IV is a 9.5 for me since it ran great considering the hardware I have and the controls are perfect for the PC imo

- Fallout 3, I didn't have problems with it, not major ones, but I had glitches, quite a lot of em, 8.5 there

- Dragon Age is an 9.2 because sometimes the character just teleports behind objects that are far from your reach, or places that are not accessible but it's easily fixed

- Far Cry 2 would be a 9 but not the game itself

- ME 1 is a 9.5 because I hated the long load times in the Citadel

- ME 2 is a 9 because the character sometimes climbs random objects

- MW was perfect so I'll give it a 9.8 since some had weird sound issues with it but they were extremely rare (unlike W@W and MW 2)

- BF BC 2 is pretty much broken but it works so it deserves an 8

- Crysis is a 9.5, mods won't make it run better, that's a false impression, it works just the same, mods just affect the general look, a change that you might like more, but gameplay remains the same, CCC or other such mods don't make it more stable, and gamepla mods are at best as good as vanilla Crysis, they might be fun but most of them are full of bugs and glitches

Also PC games aren't optimized well because they have controller support...

Anyway there are way too many games available and a list would be two long so at the end of the day a normal question containing specific games will help a person more than a list with lots of games from lots or genres.

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#12 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

I don't want to start a new thread - but guys, have you noticed how badly optimized Metro 2033 is? I didn't have a problem playing Crysis at very high settings with acceptable framerates, but this game is downright unplayable for me, even when I go as low as medium settings @ DX9.

I have a Q6600@2.4 with 2GB of RAM and a Palit 8800GT 512MB. It's the first time I try a game and it throws unplayability right in my face.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I have to lower the resolution to 1440x900 for MW2 instead of my regular playing style of 1920x1080....

-clippa-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -clippa-
Member since 2008 • 596 Posts

Fallout 3? You've got be kidding. That was anything but optimised and buggy as all hell.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

sooo what is "looks good"?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

I don't want to start a new thread - but guys, have you noticed how badly optimized Metro 2033 is? I didn't have a problem playing Crysis at very high settings with acceptable framerates, but this game is downright unplayable for me, even when I go as low as medium settings @ DX9.

I have a Q6600@2.4 with 2GB of RAM and a Palit 8800GT 512MB. It's the first time I try a game and it throws unplayability right in my face.

NoAssKicker47
Lol the 8800 GT came out a long time ago. What do you expect?
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

NoAssKicker47
Must be the 8800GT... Anyway, I doubt you are playing Crysis on Very high with an 8800GT.
NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#18 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

[QUOTE="NoAssKicker47"]

JangoWuzHere

Must be the 8800GT... Anyway, I doubt you are playing Crysis on Very high with an 8800GT.

But I am. I don't have a huge FHD screen so I'm playing at 1280x1024 as I play all my games, no AA of course. Point is, my system has never had too much of a problem running anything but this game either really pushes hardware, or is poorly optimized, because I don't even need to crank up the detail level to get it chugging. As I said, medium details @ DX9 shouldn't be a problem for my card :\

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

if by optimised we mean gutting it off all the things we loved from the previous then the award goes to SUPCOM 2. damn that game runs well on my old e6400, but the damn maps are TINY and u just cant get a huge army like the original...

also borderlands ran really nicely on my e6400 with 2gb of ram and a 4850 512mb

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

[QUOTE="QuitoFOOL"]

Fallout 3 - 9.6

Barbariser

You're funny.

I concur. Fallout 3 has an extremely clunky engine with barely any real optimization at all, and the engine gets bugged way too often to be called "optimized", even for console standards.

No mention of Blizzard games, only Mass Effect for Unreal Engine games (you say 7.5 and it runs flawlessly on 2006 hardware) also adds up and makes me think this is a joke post.

QuitoFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 QuitoFOOL

I have to lower the resolution to 1440x900 for MW2 instead of my regular playing style of 1920x1080....

JangoWuzHere

MW2 runs smooth as butter at 1920x1080 100% max everything for me. And I only got a 4890 and a dual-core.

I never had any real problems with fallout 3, so I gave it a good score, if it was buggy for everyone else then thats a shame. Try running it on High and not Ultra because the Ultra settings don't look that much better but it rapes your frame-rate.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DanielDust
It seems you don't know much about hardware if you think you have "just a 4890", that's an overkill for a game like MW 2 even at resolutions that are over 2K.
LordAinav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LordAinav
Member since 2007 • 227 Posts

What? No blizzard games? Also source engine games.

QuitoFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 QuitoFOOL

What? No blizzard games? Also source engine games.

LordAinav

WoW and Warcraft III runs fantastically, I'll ad them in a sec. I probably won't add D2 and Starcraft since they are 2D sprites games.

QuitoFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 QuitoFOOL

It seems you don't know much about hardware if you think you have "just a 4890", that's an overkill for a game like MW 2 even at resolutions that are over 2K.DanielDust

I actually probably know a lot more about hardware than you do. There are MUCH better cards than the 4890 and it's certainly not overkill. BFBC2 runs like crap on a 4890 and I constantly have to turn the graphics down in multiplayer to achieve the frame-rate I want. MW2 however it's perfectly smooth all the time, hence the creation of this thread and why some games run so much better on the same exact hardware.

The HD 4890 is over a year old and certainly wasn't the fastest card when it came out.

sammysalsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sammysalsa
Member since 2004 • 1832 Posts

I disagree with COD, sure it runs well but it has nothing going on under the hood and plenty of crappy low res textures.

EDIT- It is still well optimized i'd give it a 7 or something but the engine is also pretty dated no sexy particle effects or anything.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DanielDust

It's not top of the line obviously but it's an overkill for MW 2, the game is terrible optimization wise, like recent NFS games and Burnout on PC from EA, you can get an outrageous amount of frames on any settings, maxed out, exaggerated resolutions at 2xAA, if you turn it to 4x then things aren't as great anymore, the performance loss is way too high and it's not because of the hardware.

And now I'm sure you don't know much about hardware, you have a great graphics card, your PC doesn't just go from very good to trash in just one year, it's still a great card even if it's not the best, it's still good enough to max games.

QuitoFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 QuitoFOOL

I disagree with COD, sure it runs well but it has nothing going on under the hood and plenty of crappy low res textures.

sammysalsa

Source engine has low res textures but that doesn't mean it's not optimized. COD runs much smoother than a lot of other games that look about the same graphically.

QuitoFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 QuitoFOOL

It's not top of the line obviously but it's an overkill for MW 2, the game is terrible optimization wise, like recent NFS games and Burnout on PC from EA, you can get an outrageous amount of frames on any settings, maxed out, exaggerated resolutions at 2xAA, if you turn it to 4x then things aren't as great anymore, the performance loss is way too high and it's not because of the hardware. And now I'm sure you don't know much about hardware, you have a great graphics card, your PC doesn't just go from very good to trash in just one year, it's still a great card even if it's not the best and still good enough to max games.DanielDust

Actually I do know a lot about hardware, maybe that's why I bought the damn card in the first place. I never said the card was trash, it's a fantastic card for the money, there are just a lot of faster cards out there.

Skitzo93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Skitzo93
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Every source engine game ever couldnt agree more!

F.E.A.R 10/10

Doom 3 10/10

Fallout 3 6.5/10 buggy, whenever there is smoke like when the vault opens the frames drop to like 10 FPS

COD 4 and 6 9.5/10 some little glitches but barely noticeable

Dead space 8.5 (anti-aliasing problems and Vsync problems for me)

Just Cause 2 9/10 amazing for how good it looks

Far Cry 2 8/10 While driving a few glitches but like crisis its set for future hardware

Crysis 5/10 it may be set for future hardware but now the future is here its been three years of upgrading and still no smooth frames the cryengine 2 was designed a little poorly.

Mass Effect 9.8/10 Smooth as a shaved pu**y! probably one issue and that is loading times for me anyway.

GTA IV 2/10 Appauling i cant see why it has such high system requirments when really the graphics arent really that great. Dhocking performance and buggy the game is sooo long that playing it at 25 fps is just crap. The console versions are worth playing.

I have really rated my games in how their performance is on a high end pc

amd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 amd700
Member since 2007 • 32 Posts
Note: for old games I've given te score relative to the hardware available when the game were released. game Optimization Score King's Bounty - The Legend 10 Mafia 1 10 PES 10 9 America's Army 3 7 King Kong 8 Call of Juarez 1 10 FIFA 2010 3 Dirt 1 6 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl 7
kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]It seems you don't know much about hardware if you think you have "just a 4890", that's an overkill for a game like MW 2 even at resolutions that are over 2K.QuitoFOOL

I actually probably know a lot more about hardware than you do. There are MUCH better cards than the 4890 and it's certainly not overkill. BFBC2 runs like crap on a 4890 and I constantly have to turn the graphics down in multiplayer to achieve the frame-rate I want. MW2 however it's perfectly smooth all the time, hence the creation of this thread and why some games run so much better on the same exact hardware.

The HD 4890 is over a year old and certainly wasn't the fastest card when it came out.

BFBC2 runs great on my 4890...
kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kevy619
[QUOTE="Skitzo93"]

Every source engine game ever couldnt agree more!

F.E.A.R 10/10

Doom 3 10/10

Fallout 3 6.5/10 buggy, whenever there is smoke like when the vault opens the frames drop to like 10 FPS

COD 4 and 6 9.5/10 some little glitches but barely noticeable

Dead space 8.5 (anti-aliasing problems and Vsync problems for me)

Just Cause 2 9/10 amazing for how good it looks

Far Cry 2 8/10 While driving a few glitches but like crisis its set for future hardware

Crysis 5/10 it may be set for future hardware but now the future is here its been three years of upgrading and still no smooth frames the cryengine 2 was designed a little poorly.

Mass Effect 9.8/10 Smooth as a shaved pu**y! probably one issue and that is loading times for me anyway.

GTA IV 2/10 Appauling i cant see why it has such high system requirments when really the graphics arent really that great. Dhocking performance and buggy the game is sooo long that playing it at 25 fps is just crap. The console versions are worth playing.

I have really rated my games in how their performance is on a high end pc

The console versions of gta iv run at like 25 fps with stutters. dont fool yourself.
cqdemal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#34 cqdemal
Member since 2003 • 1932 Posts
Dead Space deserves something like a 4/10 for the horrific mouse controls and refusal to show keyboard/mouse control tips if you have a 360 pad plugged in. Fallout 3 runs well, but its visual prowess is nothing to write home about. Also, it has odd stutters and what seems to be a poor (or just none at all) culling algorithm. Just Cause 2 and Far Cry 2 are both stellar. Also: I second kevy619's comment. GTA IV runs at 15-30fps on consoles at much lower resolutions and less detail. I can play the game just fine on PC with higher settings than consoles and 25-40fps with no stutters of any kind. It's not exactly the most optimized PC game, but it doesn't deserve all the bad press it's getting. Oh, and BFBC2 definitely doesn't 'run like crap' on a 4890. Aside from admittedly terrible flashing in one level, it's perfectly smooth all the way through.
BornGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 BornGamer
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

Add a LOL to Fallout 3. Bethesda make some of the worst optimized games in the history of the PC.

steve216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 steve216
Member since 2002 • 11446 Posts

bad company 2 I'd give a 4.0 you need at least a quad core and anything under a 9800 cant run it that well

kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kevy619

Add a LOL to Fallout 3. Bethesda make some of the worst optimized games in the history of the PC.

BornGamer
Fallout 3 runs pretty decent, and it has a really good draw distance. I was happy with what they did for it, its by far their best effort technically.
QuitoFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 QuitoFOOL

[QUOTE="BornGamer"]

kevy619

Fallout 3 runs pretty decent, and it has a really good draw distance. I was happy with what they did for it, its by far their best effort technically.

agreed.

QuitoFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 QuitoFOOL

bad company 2 I'd give a 4.0 you need at least a quad core and anything under a 9800 cant run it that well

steve216

That may be my problem. I have a dual-core. Some games are more CPU dependent than others.

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#40 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
I'll just say stuff from Valve and Capcom, always run so smooth...well maybe not some earlier Capcom stuff but DMC4 and RE5 are smooth as butter, also 100% bug free from what I've played.
QuitoFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 QuitoFOOL

Yeah I've tried those as well, I'll add those in a sec.

chapman86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 chapman86
Member since 2004 • 583 Posts

Wut your rating is messed up Fallout 3 9.5? Yeah right... Mw2? Uhm, no leaning.... Dirt 2 should be number 1, scales immensely. Or maybe Unreal Tournament 3 based games, they scale on multiple graphics cards and cpu wonderfully. I have not seen any other game engines scale like these doJigglyWiggly_

what does leaning have to do with this topic? this is about optimization, not about gameplay.

JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#43 JackBurton
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

PC games aren't optimized well because they have controller support...DanielDust

QuitoFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 QuitoFOOL

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]PC games aren't optimized well because they have controller support...JackBurton

That's true but games that have native 360 controller support tend to be more well made for PC hardware. The extra effort shows that the developer actually cared about the PC version.
ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#45 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts

[QUOTE="JackBurton"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]PC games aren't optimized well because they have controller support...QuitoFOOL

That's true but games that have native 360 controller support tend to be more well made for PC hardware. The extra effort shows that the developer actually cared about the PC version.

I can think of a few exceptions like K&L or Juiced 2. I think 360 pad support is kinda of a sign for a port/multiplat that was designed first and foremost for 360.

Interestingly while in the past "port" often equaled crappy optimization nowadays it actually translates to "optimized for high-end dx9 hardware similar to found in 360", which means it also runs easily on modern 8800+ systems.

Though with devs wanting to throw extra crap on it, PC gamers wanting higher resolutions and sometimes downright lazyness/incompetence(Saints Row 2 etc.) it doesn't always work like that.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Devil May Cry 4 is optimized for DX 9, DX 10, and even 64-bit Windows.

It also has a video benchmarking app built-in that runs game scenes and tells you your framerate.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Wut your rating is messed up Fallout 3 9.5? Yeah right... Mw2? Uhm, no leaning.... Dirt 2 should be number 1, scales immensely. Or maybe Unreal Tournament 3 based games, they scale on multiple graphics cards and cpu wonderfully. I have not seen any other game engines scale like these do

MW2 is greatly optimized though. I'll give them that.
QuitoFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 QuitoFOOL

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Wut your rating is messed up Fallout 3 9.5? Yeah right... Mw2? Uhm, no leaning.... Dirt 2 should be number 1, scales immensely. Or maybe Unreal Tournament 3 based games, they scale on multiple graphics cards and cpu wonderfully. I have not seen any other game engines scale like these doWasdie
MW2 is greatly optimized though. I'll give them that.

Thank you.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

The most optimized game i have seen in a long time is MW 1&2...they scale VERY well.

sammysalsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 sammysalsa
Member since 2004 • 1832 Posts

[QUOTE="sammysalsa"]

QuitoFOOL

Source engine has low res textures but that doesn't mean it's not optimized. COD runs much smoother than a lot of other games that look about the same graphically.

Yes, and a lot less going on under the hood too. You probably didn't see my edit, i still think it is optimized just not 9/9.5 optimized.