Most DETAILED SANDBOX you've ever played.

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

For me i cant think of anything with more detailed world interaction than CRYSIS. In terms of destructiblilty, no arbitrary restrictions without ingame context (there are sharks in the waters and boats that will blow you up if you swim to far out, but NO invisible walls) and interactivity (you cant pick up everythingthat someone in a super suit should be able to pick up, even indivitual pieces of items you have destroyed, like chunks of trees, broken box pieces, wildlife and all manner of pots and pans) Crysis is the best ive seen. and lets not even get started with detail in the visuals themselves

also you can pick up turtles, frogs etc and shoot down indiviual seagulls from the sky. awesome!

sure, it doesnt have the scope of oblivion or fallout but in terms of detail i think the sandbox levels in crysis are pretty unmatched.

What about you guys? im sure there is something out their ive missed or havent played.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Probably Just Cause 2. Huge world, tons of places to explore, awesome amount of destruction...honestly one of the best looking games to come out imo. Second place is probably either GTA4 or Red Dead Redemption. GTA4 probably more so...the level of detail they put into the city is simply astounding.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

GTA4 has probably the most detailed open-world game I've ever played. Just Cause 2 had a lot of copy and paste but was a lot of fun to explore.

There really aren't a lot of open world PC exclusives that have really detailed worlds.

Kaelken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Kaelken
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts

GTA: VC and GTA: SA, of course what else

Both of which are actually in the top 10 PC here on gamespot as I post this lmao

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
X3 Terran conflict.. As far as I am concerned most of the ones mentioned in here I could hardly qaulify as a real sandbox.
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

GTAIV was an awful sandbox. There was nothing to do!

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
Probably Just Cause 2.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
GTA IV hands down, nothing comes even close, it's so dense on detail and I personally never saw two places that look the same, large, unique, highly detailed world.
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xLittlekillx

GTA IV hands down, nothing comes even close, it's so dense on detail and I personally never saw two places that look the same, large, unique, highly detailed world.DanielDust

lol, you guys are trolling right?

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

Just Cause 2 was a ton of fun for me.

The GTA series just never appealed to me that much.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I was thinking of Crysis also, though it's not the most sand-boxy game out there. Red Dead Redemption is probably the most detailed full-fledged sandbox game I've ever played.
xboxmad12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xboxmad12
Member since 2009 • 575 Posts

GTA4 without a shadow of a doubt.

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xLittlekillx

Okay, I know you guys are probably trolling here, but I want to clear some things up.

GTA IV is not a sandbox game. It's an open world action game, and a pretty limited one at that. Your interaction with the world involves driving cars and killing pedestrians, neither of which has any lasting effect on the game world. The only real decision is whether you want to drive a car and kill pedestrians here, or do it 3 blocks over, or on the other side of the bridge. Saints Row 2 was more of a sandbox than GTAIV, and it's not a sandbox either.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23945 Posts

Dwarf Fortress without a doubt. There is a lot of interactivty with the world, and lots of details to learn as well as mechanics. It is one of the most complex games I have ever played. It is difficult to learn, but once you learn it, it gets a lot of fun.

The runner ups are Ultima 7 and Aurora.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]GTA IV hands down, nothing comes even close, it's so dense on detail and I personally never saw two places that look the same, large, unique, highly detailed world.xLittlekillx

Nope, but you're spamming and there's a lot more to GTA games than what you just said, did you even play 4 and the others?

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xLittlekillx

[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]GTA IV hands down, nothing comes even close, it's so dense on detail and I personally never saw two places that look the same, large, unique, highly detailed world.DanielDust

Nope, but you're spamming and there's a lot more to GTA games than what you just said, did you even play 4 and the others?

Yes I did. It almost held my interest through the whole story, but cousin roman made me ragequit and go to multiplayer until I realized there was nothing to do.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

X3 and the Space Engine program

Kaelken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kaelken
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts

Just to correct, any and all GTA's are sandbox - the genre is the in fact the godfather of sandbox

However GTA: IV is easily the worst GTA

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
I had a pretty kick ass sandbox out back when I was little that my Dad built. It was pretty detailed and my plastic Army Men enjoyed the many tour of duties they had there.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wis3boi
I had a pretty kick ass sandbox out back when I was little that my Dad built. It was pretty detailed and my plastic Army Men enjoyed the many tour of duties they had there.xXDrPainXx
*high five* So pro :)
Mizeak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mizeak
Member since 2011 • 114 Posts

Garry's Mod.

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

Well I liked GTA IV as it was if it could have used some additional contacnt but I wouldnt have liked it if it was turned in to a sims game, Also it is the most detailed world made in a game(at least sandbox category).

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jettpack

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]GTA IV hands down, nothing comes even close, it's so dense on detail and I personally never saw two places that look the same, large, unique, highly detailed world.xLittlekillx

yeah, i agree. it felt pretty empty for new york city.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DanielDust

[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]GTA IV hands down, nothing comes even close, it's so dense on detail and I personally never saw two places that look the same, large, unique, highly detailed world.jettpack

You can't find a game that comes even close when it comes to number of random NPCs, is it anything you guys are doing here regarding GTA that is not about something irrelevant that doesn't make sense anyway?

I can see 60 cars at a time in GTA IV;pft, barely has any cars, if it'd be 61 now that would be something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#25 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]GTA IV hands down, nothing comes even close, it's so dense on detail and I personally never saw two places that look the same, large, unique, highly detailed world.jettpack

The More Liberty mod helped with that one.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#26 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
GTAIV. It has the most minute details I have seen any video game. You can walk around the back of a restaurant and the staff might be having a smoke out the back for example. Garbage trucks, toll booths, homeless people, cops arresting someone. Those things never had to be put in but because they are it makes you feel like you are part of a much larger world. And for those saying its empty, well it does help to explore. Bowling alleys, street races, boating races, comedy shows, strip clubs, restaurants, gun stores, net cafes. There's a lot of stuff to do if you're willing to look for it. And that's not including the sheer scope of the main missions.
lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts
Crysis springs to mind, but I think Just Cause 2 takes it here. It's such a huge game, where you can go literally anywhere you can see, such varied environments, dense forests, cities, its just massive and theres so much going on. Even the macro detail is pretty incredible, its a beautiful game.
jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jettpack

[QUOTE="jettpack"]

[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

DanielDust

You can't find a game that comes even close when it comes to number of random NPCs, is it anything you guys are doing here regarding GTA that is not about something irrelevant that doesn't make sense anyway?

I can see 60 cars at a time in GTA IV;pft, barely has any cars, if it'd be 61 now that would be something.

if you are talking about things not making sense then you should take another look at the sentence you just wrote.

anyway, the topic is about the most DETAILED sandbox, not the biggest in scope. GTA 4's liberty city fell flat for me. Sure it was big and has a lot of cars and npcs, but the ways in which you can interact with the city is pretty limited. you can kill people and do some mini games and thats pretty much it. Liberty city feels empty despite being full of NPCs and cars and whatnot. Its wide but its not dense or rich in terms of interactivity.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jettpack

Crysis springs to mind, but I think Just Cause 2 takes it here. It's such a huge game, where you can go literally anywhere you can see, such varied environments, dense forests, cities, its just massive and theres so much going on. Even the macro detail is pretty incredible, its a beautiful game.lucfonzy
yeah, just cause is HUGE and a lot of fun, but a lot of those areas and buildings are just copy paste. its scope is incredible but i would argue that in terms of interactivity its not as DETAILED as crysis

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Dwarf Fortress. X, Y, Z dense strategic or city simulation. These games thrive on details.
darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
Minecraft
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xLittlekillx

Minecraftdarkfox101

Yeah, this. Also, terraria, mount & blade warband, SPAZ (kinda), far cry 2, space engine, project zomboid, ARMA 2, STALKER etc.

They're all good, but have different "sandboxy" type of gameplay elements.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Minecraft, and to think that its all randomly generated. Gotta love that perlin noise :P

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

X3 Terran conflict.. As far as I am concerned most of the ones mentioned in here I could hardly qaulify as a real sandbox.sSubZerOo

Yeah, I just got into X3 and am really liking it... except that I never have much time to play.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

[QUOTE="jettpack"]yeah, i agree. it felt pretty empty for new york city.

jettpack

if you are talking about things not making sense then you should take another look at the sentence you just wrote.

anyway, the topic is about the most DETAILED sandbox, not the biggest in scope. GTA 4's liberty city fell flat for me. Sure it was big and has a lot of cars and npcs, but the ways in which you can interact with the city is pretty limited. you can kill people and do some mini games and thats pretty much it. Liberty city feels empty despite being full of NPCs and cars and whatnot. Its wide but its not dense or rich in terms of interactivity.

Of course it doesn't make sense, that was sarcasm and it was identical to what you just said only cars, not NPCs. As for interaction, that's another thing no game comes even close, the only thing missing for it to be absolutely perfect is destruction, if it had that, it'd be way above what any game has to offer. You have games to play, NPCs doing their own routine, to say a GTA game has limited interaction would mean that you can't be bothered to do exactly what you should do in a sandbox game, explore, experiment and pay attention. You're saying Crysis, but what can you do really other than killing soldiers and blowing stuff up? see, saying things in a simple way makes everything seem shallow, empty, and average.
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xLittlekillx

[QUOTE="jettpack"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"] You can't find a game that comes even close when it comes to number of random NPCs, is it anything you guys are doing here regarding GTA that is not about something irrelevant that doesn't make sense anyway?

DanielDust

Of course it doesn't make sense, that was sarcasm and it was identical to what you just said only cars, not NPCs. As for interaction, that's another thing no game comes even close, the only thing missing for it to be absolutely perfect is destruction, if it had that, it'd be way above what any game has to offer. You have games to play, NPCs doing their own routine, to say a GTA game has limited interaction would mean that you can't be bothered to do exactly what you should do in a sandbox game, explore, experiment and pay attention. You're saying Crysis, but what can you do really other than killing soldiers and blowing stuff up? see, saying things in a simple way makes everything seem shallow, empty, and average.

In Crysis sandbox mode you can do whatever you want. You can create 50 soldiers and surround them with explosive barrels and try to jump the explosion in a buggy.

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

You guys are sad if you think Crysis and GTA IV are the most detailed sandbox games you've ever played.

Hop into ArmA 2 and tell me that it's not a detailed sandbox. You can do anything you want with the mission editor. The map is designed with 100% real geographical data (of course scaled a bit). Even the towns on the ingame map are in very similar design to the towns in real life in that location.

TheHunterV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheHunterV3
Member since 2011 • 66 Posts
GTA IV - Blew me away the first 10 minutes
lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

I have to say Minecraft. As much as I like JC2, Minecraft IS a better sandbox, as you can do ANYTHING in it.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

GTA IV like most others said

Avatar image for deactivated-5fcf883042346
deactivated-5fcf883042346

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 deactivated-5fcf883042346
Member since 2009 • 125 Posts

GTA 4 !

xboxmad12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 xboxmad12
Member since 2009 • 575 Posts

[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

It wasn't new york city.

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts
It really depends if you just talking about the world or the gameplay. GTA4 looks great and has a very alive feeling, but the fact that you can't go in 99% of the buildings and can't interact with 99% of the NPC's (other than shooting them) really makes it shallow. Hands down the most complete true sandbox game would be Gary's Mod as you can literally make almost anything with it. Other great ones are X3 TR and ArmA 2 (this has a great editor). Most people who don't know what a sandbox is will say GTA4, but those games aren't true sandbox games at all.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wis3boi

Here's an example of Space Engine in action and why it's the most detailed Sandbox IMO.

This is zooming in without loading screens, by the way.

Every star you see in the milky way there is really there and rendered, as well as all plnets around them. Every planet has an atomsphere, weather, hills, valleys, mountains, oceans....and on very rare cases, you might find some life!

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xLittlekillx

It really depends if you just talking about the world or the gameplay. GTA4 looks great and has a very alive feeling, but the fact that you can't go in 99% of the buildings and can't interact with 99% of the NPC's (other than shooting them) really makes it shallow. Hands down the most complete true sandbox game would be Gary's Mod as you can literally make almost anything with it. Other great ones are X3 TR and ArmA 2 (this has a great editor). Most people who don't know what a sandbox is will say GTA4, but those games aren't true sandbox games at all.Croag821

That's why I was shocked when so many people started answering with GTA4. As PC gamers, I figured most people here would be more familiar with the variety of stuff out there, instead of the ultra generic open world console port that took 2 years to optimize to playability on PC.

Shryke888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Shryke888
Member since 2005 • 61 Posts

If we are talking RPGs, then Gothic 3 might be on this list. If you are looking for an absolutely massive gameworld with tons of stuff to do and ways to interact and use most items in the game (and there are a ton of them), then this is the game for you. Shallow quests and what some would call quirky combat, but with all the patches this game is really a gem.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

X3: Terran Conflict is the most detailed sandbox without a doubt. Anyone who has played it can attest to that.

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GameFan1983
Member since 2004 • 2189 Posts

Most "detailed" sandbox game or most entertaining sandbox game? that's a big difference, best sandbox game I've played on PC is RF:G, the physcis engine is out of this world, GTAIV and prototype come close to second. but best over all sandbox game in my list, without question -> RDR.

BTW, crysis is not a sandbox game, but a FPS with sandbox elements, just so you know.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jettpack

[QUOTE="jettpack"]

[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

realguitarhero5

The More Liberty mod helped with that one.

yeah, and then totally overwelm the AI