Monitor shuts off after windows loading screen?

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

Anyone know the issue? My computer was working completely fine yesterday and I was playing Half life 2 all day. I exited out the game and went to download the free Deadspace from EA then turned off my monitor to return later. When I went to turn back on my monitor I was getting no image at all. Not even moving my mouse or keyboard made it turn back on so it wasn't on stand by. Restarted my computer and now after windows boot screen the monitor just shuts off?? My computer boots perfectly fine in safe mode but when I boot it regularly the monitor shuts off. I tried turning off all my services and start up programs and still nothing?

Could my of graphics card just died like that even though it was showing no signs of dying? I mean maybe certain games chugged a little bit more than usual but I'm not really sure it was that big of deal. It is about 5 years old. It was a Zotac GTX295.

Any input? Anyone had this problem and it WASN'T a dead graphics card?

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Reset CMOS? Reinstall drivers in safe mode?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

in safe mode uninstall the display drivers and reboot then download the latest drivers and install them make sure to select the clean install option.

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

@04dcarraher: you mean my display monitor drivers right? not my graphics card drivers?

edit: Actually decided to try to roll back on my drivers and it turned on normally! What could have caused my issues in the drivers? Should I not update my nvidia drivers again or what?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

You just had corrupted drivers as soon as they loaded into windows it screwed up. It happens just reinstall them to fix it

woomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#6  Edited By woomar
Member since 2008 • 172 Posts

What is the OS you are using ? if vista and higher i believe there is an option to run the OS in 640x400 resolution from the boot screen , see if that works .

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

It could be almost anything hardware related going bad. PSU, memory, gpu, or mobo. Or could just simply be that your default windows resolution somehow got changed to one your monitor does not support. Or driver related, maybe, but wouldn't be my first bet.

Avatar image for 404FredNotFound
404FredNotFound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By 404FredNotFound
Member since 2011 • 110 Posts

Its quite simple really, that happens when your windows is running on a resolution the monitor doesn't support, maybe you accidentally changed its resolution. Or a game did that's is possible. when that happens just get on Safe Mode and change the resolution. Happens allot of times when I plug clients Pcs on my working Monitor...