Microsoft could TAKE DOWN Steam....

• 147 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

...if they really wanted to and it was in their economical plan.

Imagine this for one second:

Windows 8 with a full integrated "steam-like" service (like GFWL but heaps better).

- With achievements

- Hot sales on games (prices to compete with Steam)

- Friends list (like inbuilt Messenger)

- Cloud Backup of Saved Games

- Fully Automated Updates

Basically like Steam, but with improvements and best of all FULL INBUILT into Windows, so you don't have to have a third party program running in the background (cause Windows always runs in the background anyway).

Publishers would go for it, cause they already have to license it for Windows anyway.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
I think they are a little late to try, if they really wanted to. Steam already has a very large user base and it has evolved quite well. I don't know if others think the same thing, but as I already have quite a few games on Steam, I rather not divide my collection amongst too many distributers, anyway.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
microsoft doesn't like giving "sales"..they do it once in awhile,but nothing compared to other places like steam.
Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts

I'd honestly rather buy a Steam based OS then have to deal with MS's attempt at a decent digital download client

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
I think they are a little late to try, if they really wanted to. Steam already has a very large user base and it has evolved quite well. I don't know if others think the same thing, but as I already have quite a few games on Steam, I rather not divide my collection amongst too many distributers, anyway.XIntoTheBlue
Good Point. I don't think it's late to try...they could put it into Windows 8. How about the ability to import your Steam games and Friends List?
Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

There's a reason why people use firefox (or anything else) over Internet Explorer.

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

Nothing beats some good ol competition 8)

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

I'd still use Steam... I'd even turn to Impulse before I'd use a MS service.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

There's a reason why people use firefox (or anything else) over Internet Explorer.

Drazule
Well yes... but we are talking about 2 products which are out. What would you do if "Windows 8 Game Center" was 10 miles better than Steam...?
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
*Laughs like crazy*
contaminated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 contaminated
Member since 2005 • 5373 Posts
Yes its true that Microsoft could beat Steam and it should have done so years ago but Microsoft never went full throttle with it. They lost the trust of their customers and thats gonna be hard for them to get back.
Avatar image for monkeymoose5000
monkeymoose5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 monkeymoose5000
Member since 2007 • 6111 Posts
microsoft doesn't like giving "sales"..they do it once in awhile,but nothing compared to other places like steam.lawlessx
On gamesforwindows.com they have deals of the week. Every week.
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
How many people actually trust Microsoft though? Do Microsoft have the right policies in place to actually give us better prices, and the right expertise and technology to give us a better service than Steam?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
*Laughs like crazy*kris9031998
What's so funny? If MS would have done GFWL the correct way STEAM wouldn't exist today matey.....
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Seems nice but I don't like the anti-trust issues we might see this come with haha but I do admire some good competition.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside
How many people actually trust Microsoft though? Do Microsoft have the right policies in place to actually give us better prices, and the right expertise and technology to give us a better service than Steam?kdawg88
Well there's the kicker....I don't know. I'm sure they have the expertise and technology available....
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

Except for Valve cares about its PC community, Microsoft has been leaving us in the dirt for the last 5 years.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lawlessx
[QUOTE="lawlessx"]microsoft doesn't like giving "sales"..they do it once in awhile,but nothing compared to other places like steam.monkeymoose5000
On gamesforwindows.com they have deals of the week. Every week.

i know,but i was talking about full blown sales like what steam,impluse,gamersgate, do
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kris9031998
[QUOTE="kris9031998"]*Laughs like crazy*FelipeInside
What's so funny? If MS would have done GFWL the correct way STEAM wouldn't exist today matey.....

Yeah, but its MS we are talking about. I doubt they will be able to make something stable, easy to use, FREE as a service (looks at xbox live), and good deals. Its possible, but persuading everyone who uses steam into using GFWL is pretty hard too.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

They need to have alot more sales to beat steam.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

Except for Valve cares about its PC community, Microsoft has been leaving us in the dirt for the last 5 years.

Vesica_Prime
Please read this dear sir: http://games.on.net/article/11155/Microsoft_to_Revive_PC_Gaming_with_Windows_8
Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
I'd stick with Steam probably.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="kris9031998"]*Laughs like crazy*kris9031998

Yeah, but its MS we are talking about. I doubt they will be able to make something stable, easy to use, FREE as a service (looks at xbox live), and good deals. Its possible, but persuading everyone who uses steam into using GFWL is pretty hard too.

Stable and easy to use is already here: it's called Windows 7. (and it comes with a few free things inside). But you are right...the hard part here is convincing everyone?
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kris9031998
[QUOTE="kris9031998"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] What's so funny? If MS would have done GFWL the correct way STEAM wouldn't exist today matey.....FelipeInside

Stable and easy to use is already here: it's called Windows 7. (and it comes with a few free things inside). But you are right...the hard part here is convincing everyone?

I personally dont like windows 7. I, TBH, havent seen ANY difference between it and vista except the toolbar. I dont feel like exploring, so its not easy to use if you actually have to explore. Although it is stable.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="kris9031998"] Yeah, but its MS we are talking about. I doubt they will be able to make something stable, easy to use, FREE as a service (looks at xbox live), and good deals. Its possible, but persuading everyone who uses steam into using GFWL is pretty hard too.kris9031998

I personally dont like windows 7. I, TBH, havent seen ANY difference between it and vista except the toolbar. I dont feel like exploring, so its not easy to use if you actually have to explore. Although it is stable.

Very BIG difference between Vista and 7, much like the difference that was ME to XP. What do you mean by exploring?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Theoretically, they could... they have the financial backing.. but I don't think they will ever develop the same attitude and mentality to service their customers like Valve does. They sell games for ridiculous prices while everyone was putting games on sale during the Winter Sale. I noticed that.. and it shows where Microsoft's priority is. And that's console gaming. And even though they cater the console market, they do very little give those gamers great deals on games and services either. That pretty much sums up what their business conduct is like. And it's all about raking up the dough. Valve is about making gamers and their customers happy and fully statisfied, while integrating a reliable service, while staying full operational and profitable. I remember someone here posting what Gabe said about game prices and that if you can turn out very profitable if you sell games for cheaper prices. And Valve is doing that through these awesome sales.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

How about the ability to import your Steam games and Friends List? FelipeInside
Not to try and be a smart-ass here, but the people who invented Steam are smart enough that if they wanted to intentionally kill their business they would do it in a better way. :P No one in their right mind helps their enemies. ;)
What would you do if "Windows 8 Game Center" was 10 miles better than Steam...?FelipeInside
Wait for them to prove it before I believed it. GFWL was and remains a great idea that was so botched in execution that nothing but horribleness remains. They would need to be good enough out of the gate to build momentum against an existing behemoth, and then continue to build and grow as the behemoth fights back And yes, Steam would fight back... they might even team up with other digital distributors against Microsoft for it. Firefox succeeded because Netscape laid the groundwork. I am not sure that GFWL has managed to do that nearly as well as Netscape did.
How many people actually trust Microsoft though? Do Microsoft have the right policies in place to actually give us better prices, and the right expertise and technology to give us a better service than Steam?kdawg88
I think this is the biggest advantage that Steam has over Microsoft, if it does come to an open war between them. Steam users like and trust Steam. Windows users despise Microsoft.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lawlessx
[QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

FelipeInside
Please read this dear sir: http://games.on.net/article/11155/Microsoft_to_Revive_PC_Gaming_with_Windows_8

and you think PC gamers will just follow suit and pretend microsoft didn't ignore the PC community for half a decade? what can microsoft offer that steam isn't already doing?
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kris9031998
[QUOTE="kris9031998"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Stable and easy to use is already here: it's called Windows 7. (and it comes with a few free things inside). But you are right...the hard part here is convincing everyone?FelipeInside

Very BIG difference between Vista and 7, much like the difference that was ME to XP. What do you mean by exploring?

You just talked about how windows 7 is a stable and easy service that is great. There is absolutely nothing for gamers, unless you are implying there are. (im not saying you are im asking) So, its basically exploring since i cant seem to find any of it.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

They'd get knocked down by market regulations if they attempted that.

Besides, looking at the current GFWL.... yeah, not gonna happen.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
I can see the Anti Trust Lawsuit now, It would be like 1998 all over again :P
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

[QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

FelipeInside

But Microsoft has been saying that for how long now? With every new OS Microsoft claims they are recommitting themselves to PC gaming and then, nothing. This is just more PR nonsense to hype up and sell a new OS.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FelipeInside
Theoretically, they could... they have the financial backing.. but I don't think they will ever develop the same attitude and mentality to service their customers like Valve does. They sell games for ridiculous prices while everyone was putting games on sale during the Winter Sale. I noticed that.. and it shows where Microsoft's priority is. And that's console gaming. And even though they cater the console market, they do very little give those gamers great deals on games and services either. That pretty much sums up what their business conduct is like. And it's all about raking up the dough. Valve is about making gamers and their customers happy and fully statisfied, while integrating a reliable service, while staying full operational and profitable. I remember someone here posting what Gabe said about game prices and that if you can turn out very profitable if you sell games for cheaper prices. And Valve is doing that through these awesome sales.Elann2008
But i've heard that their customer service is bad...?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="kris9031998"] I personally dont like windows 7. I, TBH, havent seen ANY difference between it and vista except the toolbar. I dont feel like exploring, so its not easy to use if you actually have to explore. Although it is stable. kris9031998

You just talked about how windows 7 is a stable and easy service that is great. There is absolutely nothing for gamers, unless you are implying there are. (im not saying you are im asking) So, its basically exploring since i cant seem to find any of it.

Nothing for gamers? Ok, try to run a game without Windows then....see how you go....
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

-wildflower-

But Microsoft has been saying that for how long now? With every new OS Microsoft claims they are recommitting themselves to PC gaming and then, nothing. This is just more PR nonsense to hype up and sell a new OS.

Hmmm, yes true. Oh well, I can hope can't I. After Vista I had really lost a lot of confidence in MS, but they delivered with W7.... maybe they can do the same with a better version of GFWL.... called something else,.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
I already have an msn/xbox account, so why not. If they can provide a great service and can integrate it better than Steam can with the OS, I'm up for it. I remember it took a long while to get Steam working properly with Windows Media Centre... then they updated Steam's interface. T_T
harjyotbanwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 harjyotbanwait
Member since 2008 • 398 Posts

Well, releasing late ports like Fable III isn't helping. They need to release all their Xbox titles, and perhaps simultaneously if they want to compete with Steam. Indie games along with big budget titles are key to success along with promotional sales. Why not have the Xbox and PC together in tandem, so they share the same titles and the games are simultaneously released.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
Microsoft is only "interested" in renewing its relationship with PC because of the sudden grown of Digital Distribution, if they dont succeed in getting a good portion from it, they will just abandon PC like they previously did when they released the Xbox. I would stick to Steam regardless seeing as i dont trust Microsoft.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

rumor has it that Valve is making there own OS.

sinpkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sinpkr
Member since 2010 • 1255 Posts

if its better and cheaper then steam i would use it

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58505 Posts

I dont think so. Dont get me wrong, I hope for the day where MS joins in to the degree Steam has.

But the simple truth is that Steam is here to stay; they have a loyal fanbase of millions, make millions of dollars every month, theyre a gateway and (for some) the sole distributor of independent game developers.

So, yes, I imagine MS could compete with Steam. But take it down? I dont think we the fans would let that happen (thats not to say we would not migrate to whatever MS does and use both services).

Peerbreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Peerbreed
Member since 2009 • 224 Posts

hmmm let's look at MS track record with gamers - original xbox owners got screwed as soon as MS released thier new toy

- xbox 360 hardware failures

- charging $60 a year for something everyone else provides for free

- GFWL (Trying to charge for that on the PC lol!)

- General lack of support for PC gamers ever since they turned their attention to consoles

Yea sure they could totally take down Steam...

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kris9031998
[QUOTE="kris9031998"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Very BIG difference between Vista and 7, much like the difference that was ME to XP. What do you mean by exploring?FelipeInside

Nothing for gamers? Ok, try to run a game without Windows then....see how you go....

I mean features. OS isnt in the "feature" catagory, it is in the "system" catagory.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FelipeInside
2 Good points I just read here: 1- an attraction would be to bring all the XBOX players 2- simultaneously release XBOX games on PC too....and not only that, integrate the online PC portion with the online XBOX portion
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#45 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Microsoft could incorporate all of Steam's features if they want to but there is one thing I think they can't do, low price and holiday sales that could compete with Steam.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
2- simultaneously release XBOX games on PC too....and not only that, integrate the online PC portion with the online XBOX portionFelipeInside
I thought they tried that (I think with Shadowrun?) but the PC players had a significant advantage due to mouse/keyboard control.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]2 Good points I just read here: 1- an attraction would be to bring all the XBOX players 2- simultaneously release XBOX games on PC too....and not only that, integrate the online PC portion with the online XBOX portion

Cross-platform with the Xbox platform has been proven unsuccessful so far. And MS already missed its chance to compete strongly with Steam a while ago. And the idea of upgrading to yet another Windows so soon is laughable.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58505 Posts

hmmm let's look at MS track record with gamers - original xbox owners got screwed as soon as MS released thier new toy

- General lack of support for PC gamers ever since they turned their attention to consoles

Peerbreed

Some of us here are old enough to remember the glorious days of Microsoft games. Man, those were good times. This was well before the original Xbox.

Likewise, some of us wish for the return of those days, more or less.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="Peerbreed"]

mrbojangles25

Some of us here are old enough to remember the glorious days of Microsoft games. Man, those were good times. This was well before the original Xbox.

Yes, mrbojangles.... good times. If MS wanted to they could go back there....
Peerbreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Peerbreed
Member since 2009 • 224 Posts

[QUOTE="Peerbreed"]

mrbojangles25

I am one those people who remember the glory days. Days long gone. MS had the trust of PC gamers and threw it all away. Why would I ever trust them again?