Metro 2033...will i s**t myself?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by almoalgam (107 posts) -

well, i dont play a lot of survival horror games(just silent hill downpour and alan wake) but i do watch a lot of horror movies....

people told me metro was pretty damn scary and i was likely to ....well....s**t

so i wanna know just how scary it is before i take it on

#2 Posted by darksusperia (6943 posts) -
its not.
#3 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23873 posts) -
nop not scary at all
#4 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
No, but Amnesia might...
#5 Posted by IxX3xil3d0n3XxI (1508 posts) -
The only scary part for me was with the Librarian type monsters, but other than that its not bad.
#6 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4356 posts) -
It's more creepy than scary.
#7 Posted by kieran88 (2273 posts) -
Not scary but great atmosphere, well worth playing.
#8 Posted by the_bi99man (11059 posts) -

Not scary but great atmosphere, well worth playing.kieran88

This.

It's a shooter with good atmosphere, and some moderately creepy settings/enemies. It is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a "horror" game.

#9 Posted by funkyzoom (1465 posts) -

Even a 5 year old kid wouldn't be scared by Metro 2033. Its a great game, but there's certainly something wrong with the guy who told you its scary.

#10 Posted by RasAlgethi28 (112 posts) -

The game's not really scary but it has an eerie atmoshpere.

#11 Posted by HyperWarlock (3295 posts) -

It was a little creepy sometimes, but not sleepless nights 'OMG' kind of creepy.

#12 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

It's a little creepy in some levels like the ghosts or the librarians and only if you have headphones on. Otherwise it's not scary at all

#13 Posted by mhofever (3960 posts) -

Nah, when I got to the level where I was on the surface, going through the old buildings, I thought the game was going to take the Stalker approach but eventually the pace builds up afterwards. Creepy that the fact that you would be alone in dark rooms in certain missions? Yes. Scary? No.

#14 Posted by Morphsis (37 posts) -
It's not scary because you always know that something bad will happen, that some sort of monster will appear. The problem with the last Horror games that came out, espacialy Horror FPSs, it's that they don't have the "element of surprise" anymore. I would be more scared by a game with no monsters in it, but which gives you the impression that you're being watched in every moment, than a game full of monsters, but in which you know that in the next room is a bunch of trolls, and you can kill them with your bazooka.
#15 Posted by Spoonoop (178 posts) -

i was avoiding metro 2033 for a similar reason. I'm such a chicken. Same reason why I avoided the STALKER series for so long. But then I played and fell in love with STALKER... but I still wouldn't play it at certain times of day :P

#16 Posted by Byshop (12900 posts) -

The only thing scary about Metro 2033 is the minimum requirements to run at full detail.

-Byshop

#17 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -

The only thing scary about Metro 2033 is the minimum requirements to run at full detail.

-Byshop

Byshop
Hah yep! Metro 2033 is more of a benchmarking game to me. Game had great atmosphere and visuals, but sluggish shooting and a rather poor story.
#18 Posted by JKnaperek (2019 posts) -
If you had to ask, then it will probably scare you.
#19 Posted by HyperWarlock (3295 posts) -

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

MythPro1

Hah yep! Metro 2033 is more of a benchmarking game to me. Game had great atmosphere and visuals, but sluggish shooting and a rather poor story.

I also thought the gun sounds were really poor, lacked any impact.

#20 Posted by NoAssKicker47 (2847 posts) -

It's creepy, but it's not scary. You won't be scared nor frigtened, but you will be on your toes.

#21 Posted by almoalgam (107 posts) -

well...is it atleast scarier (by that i mean surprises a lot) than the dead space duology or resident evil?

this is just for an opinion ..i will be playing metro now anyway

#22 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6801 posts) -

It is not scary, it CAN be eerie and stressful (the latter people often mistake for scary)

It is never really scary, but skulking outside in the hars frozen corpse of the city, picking supplies of frozen corpses, while constantly watching for the somewhat agressive wildlife IS somewhat tense, watching the air supply, listening to the uneven breathing, and watching the frost on the visor is not exactly calming, but scary it is not.

Part of the reason why Metro is not (and can not) be scary is due to the fact that you have a gun, you kill things, ANYTHING really. Not much to be afraid of when you can simply blow it away you know?

But it IS mystical, eerie and somewhat desolate from time to time. There is One section on an abandoned railway tunnel that really branches into the supernatural, but even that is far more sad then it is scary.

#23 Posted by THGarrett (2574 posts) -

The atmosphere in general is pretty creepy, but there really isn't a lot of moments that will make you jump from your seat. It's definitely a fun game to play at night with headphones.

#24 Posted by Darth_Kane (2966 posts) -

It's more depressing rather than scary

#25 Posted by koospetoors (3245 posts) -
Not scary at all, very atmospheric though and definitely worth playing.