This topic is locked from further discussion.

RedxSniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RedxSniper
Member since 2009 • 1097 Posts

Alright so I need a laptop for college. I want something that is extremely durable and lightweight. I also want something with a long battery, something that is extremely reliable. And i know Mac's are overpriced and all but i hear that they are really good for college.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

Alright so I need a laptop for college. I want something that is extremely durable and lightweight. I also want something with a long battery, something that is extremely reliable. And i know Mac's are overpriced and all but i hear that they are really good for college.

RedxSniper
They are overpriced, and are aweful for gaming (unless you get the Macbook Pro and dual boot Windows, then they are half way decent). The one thing they really have going for them is battery life, which is superb. But you can probably get a lot more bang for your buck if you go the pc route.
RedxSniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RedxSniper
I already have a pc. I want a laptop to be able to carry around and take into classes. I won't be using this for gaming as i have a pc. This would be for school work. Which is why i want something with alot of battery life, something reliable and lightweight ( ect... ) .
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
This should be in the hardware forum. Also, what are you doing in College? If you are doing something that requires Adobe software like Photoshop, then Mac is the way to go.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Except most colleges/universities use Windows-based applications and getting a Macbook just handicaps you. And unless you are willing to shell out the money for a Mac, you would be better off going with a Windows-based laptop.
SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts

You can buy might light portable windows laptops with great battery life.. They serve one propose to do work. And like someone said, most schools use windows based applications.

But hey, seems that most would rather want the fashion statement, and smell their own farts, while wearing turtle necks.

Do yourself a favor buy a comparable PC save a thousand dollars and eat a real lunch every day for the first semester.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
Except most colleges/universities use Windows-based applications and getting a Macbook just handicaps you. And unless you are willing to shell out the money for a Mac, you would be better off going with a Windows-based laptop.the_ChEeSe_mAn2
macs can also become windows-based laptops
SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts
[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]Except most colleges/universities use Windows-based applications and getting a Macbook just handicaps you. And unless you are willing to shell out the money for a Mac, you would be better off going with a Windows-based laptop.mike4realz

If you are going to place windows on the laptop, why get a mac in the first place? I never understood this.
mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mike4realz
[QUOTE="mike4realz"][QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]Except most colleges/universities use Windows-based applications and getting a Macbook just handicaps you. And unless you are willing to shell out the money for a Mac, you would be better off going with a Windows-based laptop.SinfulPotato

If you are going to place windows on the laptop, why get a mac in the first place? I never understood this.

it's same reason people put linux on their windows-base laptops
RedxSniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RedxSniper
For the people telling me to get a pc, I already have one, i want a laptop to be able to take to class ect. For the people telling me to get a windows based laptop, mind recommending laptops that fit my needs: Long lasting battery, lightweight, very durable, very reliable, and good quality. And i need it for school work not gaming. And i am going into Biology/Pre-Med. But i might dish out more cash so i can continue to use this laptop throughout Med School.
mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mike4realz
you might want to look on 13" laptops for battery and portability. you can look into Acer's Timeline X series, Sony Vaio Z series, Apple's 13" macbook pro (you get a free ipod touch if u buy it for college)
AlphaJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AlphaJC
Member since 2010 • 712 Posts

If you wan't durable and lightweaight go for the Lenovo thinkpad its a business class laptop that is water proof casing. If you wan't to game really badly either order a desktop PC. Macs are overpriced and have their own set of issues. OSX snowl leapard is pretty **** its like Mac's Windows 2000 basically. So get a PC with Windws 7 its much better. But if the PC is not for gaming get a Lenovo thinkpad if you want durability.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

RedxSniper

Macs are not a good option IMO. They are more of a pain to get serviced than most brand name laptops on Wondows unless you live close to a Mac store, especially if you smoke. You have to worry if your laptop will run all of your software since not all software runs on Mac. Some stuff like MS Office costs more on Mac. Mac sucks for gaming in case you ever want to game. Macs are overpriced as you mentioned. If you have never used a Mac you have to learn a whole new OS.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
A good netbook will satisfy you. I used my eeepc 900 for all my classes with ease and that is horrible compared to how many netbook options there are today. A good atom processor netbook, good hd size, and get a external dvd case and you will easily be set to carry around to classes while staying at a easy 300 dollar budget. OH FYI... wrong forum area.
NiHM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NiHM
Member since 2002 • 194 Posts

Go ahead and get the Macbook. I've been a PC user since 1993. I've had numerous desktops that I have built myself, as well as an HP laptop that I bought at the end of 2008. In October of last year I bought a 17" Macbook Pro. All i can say is that I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. I absolutely love that thing. I don't even use the HP laptop anymore. The Macbook Pro is the single nicest computer I have ever purchased. The build quality is simply outstanding, and it has given me zero problems. Go ahead and pickout whichever macbook suits your needs best. You won't regret the purchase.

Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts

If you're looking for durable and lightweight, I'd look elsewhere, as MacBooks (especially Pro models) are large and heavy to tote about from class to class.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26650 Posts
[QUOTE="mike4realz"][QUOTE="SinfulPotato"][QUOTE="mike4realz"] macs can also become windows-based laptops

Windows based laptops are powerful, where as Linux based laptops aren't. Windows laptops are also more powerful than Mac laptops... You see where I'm going with this?
mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mike4realz
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="mike4realz"][QUOTE="SinfulPotato"] If you are going to place windows on the laptop, why get a mac in the first place? I never understood this.

Windows based laptops are powerful, where as Linux based laptops aren't. Windows laptops are also more powerful than Mac laptops... You see where I'm going with this?

well duhh everyone knows pc hardware are more powerful than mac hardware...and no i don't know where your going with that
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26650 Posts
[QUOTE="mike4realz"][QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="mike4realz"] it's same reason people put linux on their windows-base laptops

well duhh everyone knows pc hardware are more powerful than mac hardware...and no i don't know where your going with that

Why do you think people buy Windows based laptops and install Linux on it? The whole 5% that actually do that anyway. It's because the laptops are more powerful than buying a Linux based laptop. But buying a mac just to stick Windows on it is being counter-productive, as Macs are not as powerful as windows based laptops. So you buy crappier hardware for a higher price just to stick a windows operating system on it? When you could have saved 500 dollars, gotten better hardware and had Windows installed on it already? That's just stupid.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="mike4realz"] it's same reason people put linux on their windows-base laptopsmike4realz

I believe his point, which would also be mine, is that if you have to use a feature like Boot camp then obviously Mac has failed you in the first place and you just should of used windows.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mike4realz
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="mike4realz"][QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] Windows based laptops are powerful, where as Linux based laptops aren't. Windows laptops are also more powerful than Mac laptops... You see where I'm going with this?

Why do you think people buy Windows based laptops and install Linux on it? The whole 5% that actually do that anyway. It's because the laptops are more powerful than buying a Linux based laptop. But buying a mac just to stick Windows on it is being counter-productive, as Macs are not as powerful as windows based laptops. So you buy crappier hardware for a higher price just to stick a windows operating system on it? When you could have saved 500 dollars, gotten better hardware and had Windows installed on it already? That's just stupid.

people don't buy macs just so they can install windows on it. yeah i know that's stupid. there are many reasons why people would prefer or switch to mac