Mac Bootcamp - is this what I need?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

luggymeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 luggymeister
Member since 2005 • 499 Posts
Hi can anyone please tell me if this is what I need?http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3405555I just need a yes or no anwser, I don't need to buy anything cheaper.
luggymeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 luggymeister
yea i have a macbook with leopard and bootcamp obviously
armyman455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 armyman455
Member since 2008 • 914 Posts
for what...... all you said is it what i need obviously you mean for something what exactly is that something
luggymeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 luggymeister
for running windows os on my macbook
Zam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zam
Member since 2002 • 2048 Posts
Your link doesn't work and you've got to be more specific. As far as I know, you don't need anything else other than a copy of Windows to install on a macbook as it already comes with bootcamp.
kodai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 kodai
Member since 2003 • 924 Posts

You need any version of XP or Vista that is 32bit and BootCamp will take care of the rest. Thats the official claim. In reality BootCamp will install 64bit XP and Vista as well, but Apple will not offer any support if something goes wrong. Honestly, I really have never heard of that happening and I've never run into a probelm with it. I've even used to to install several different *nix OS's without a hicup (but needs a few kexts to work right on some of them).

So yes, all you need is that copy of XP you linked too, but make sure that is the Windows OS you want. If you're looking for DX10 support (I must assume this is for gaming since its in a gaming forum), then Vista may be the better choice.

luggymeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 luggymeister
one more question, how do you know if it is the 32 bit version? At my local staples they have windows xp home full version for $199. I really want to buy it so I can install it on my mac but how do I know if it's the 32 bit b4 I buy it? the guy working couldn't anwser my question.
Nimitz14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Nimitz14
Member since 2007 • 1208 Posts

it should say on the box...

im on a windows-boot camp right now and it works very well, just remember that when u partition ur diskto take a decent amount of space, 32GB isn't enough as i've just found out... and do EXACTLY what the manuel tells u, u can seriously **** up ur computer if u make a mistake

Avatar image for BewilderedRonin
BewilderedRonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 BewilderedRonin
Member since 2006 • 456 Posts

All versions of Vista (except for Vista Starter which is sold only in Asia) have both 64 and 32-bit support on the disc. You do not need to worry about seperate 64 and 32-bit versions.

When setting up bootcamp, remember that you will need to partition either a new Hard Disk Drive or a part of your current Hard Disk Drive for Vista to be put on as well as space to install games. You should set aside at least 50GB of HDD space. Vista itself will use up about 15GB. I would seriously recommend using an entirely separate HDD to install Windows. If not now, then sometime down the road.

-Edit-

Whoops! Just loaded up the link in the OP. If you're going with XP, then that version is the 32-bit. Unless it says 64-Bit Edition on the box, it is a 32-bit version of XP.

Zam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zam
Member since 2002 • 2048 Posts

Also if you are going to buy it don't waste your money on retail versions. Get the OEM version to save some money:

If you are in Canada: Windows XP Professional ($149.99)

If you are in US: Windows XP Professional ($139.99)

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
your link doesnt work btw you can install xp 32 bt and vista i think thats what is recomended by apple
Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

one more question, how do you know if it is the 32 bit version? At my local staples they have windows xp home full version for $199. I really want to buy it so I can install it on my mac but how do I know if it's the 32 bit b4 I buy it? the guy working couldn't anwser my question.luggymeister

if I remember correctly only the XP pro got a 64 version