Looking for some more RTS games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jedi831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jedi831
Member since 2010 • 35 Posts

Hey guys, I've been trying to find some other good RTS games to play in my spare time and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations.

I already have Starcraft 1&2, Age of empires 2, Company of Heroes, Stronghold Crusaders, Homeworld, Rome Total War, and Dawn of War 1.

I was looking into getting Red Alert 2, seeing how it was so popular, but after watching some gameplay videos, all I ever saw were tankfests. Is there something that I'm missing on this one?

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I never got into Red Alert games online, but the single player campaigns were fun. I wouldn't be surprised if they were unbalanced in multiplayer.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

supreme commander 1 is outstanding and 2 is okay f you cant find 1 as a supplement. its also better visually

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
Have you tried World in Conflict? It's not like your traditional RTS, but it's still great.
Jedi831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jedi831

Have you tried World in Conflict? It's not like your traditional RTS, but it's still great.Mochyc

I've done a little research about it in the past. I wasn't really sure what to think of it though. What is it exactly that makes it different from the traditional RTS?

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="Mochyc"]Have you tried World in Conflict? It's not like your traditional RTS, but it's still great.Jedi831

I've done a little research about it in the past. I wasn't really sure what to think of it though. What is it exactly that makes it different from the traditional RTS?

It's a Real Time Tactical - there resource in multiplayer comes from capture points ala Battlefield (which it plays a lot like actually), or there's just no resource collecting at all in Singleplayer. Worth checking out Men of War, Ground Control (and 2), DOW2 if you're interested in these kind of games. I'd recommend Supreme Commander as well.
Jedi831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jedi831

I'd recommend Supreme Commander as well.skrat_01

The Supreme Commander games definitely look pretty awesome. Would you recommend the first or the second one?

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 skrat_01

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]I'd recommend Supreme Commander as well.Jedi831

The Supreme Commander games definitely look pretty awesome. Would you recommend the first or the second one?

The first, and Forged Alliance following that. The second is less complex, and less deep - it feels more like a command and conquer game; however if you see it cheap it could be worth a look for differences sake.
dsownge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 dsownge
Member since 2005 • 2393 Posts

Have you tried Shogun 2 total war yet?

Never EVER buy stronghold 3, the game is like an unfinished money trap.

Jedi831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jedi831

dsownge

I haven't tried any other total wars besides rome. The romans were the main reason why I got it. :)

And yeah, I saw that stronghold 3 got pretty crappy reviews. It's a shame, because crusaders it great.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 skrat_01

[QUOTE="dsownge"]

Jedi831

I haven't tried any other total wars besides rome. The romans were the main reason why I got it. :)

And yeah, I saw that stronghold 3 got pretty crappy reviews. It's a shame, because crusaders it great.

Shogun 2 is well worth a look if you're into a blend of RTT and turn based. I'd recommend Sins of a Solar Empire if you want to get into RT4X, that's in realtime like an RTS. Very streamlined, but tons of scope and good complexity; even if its not as deep as a game like Galactic Civ. I'd recommend getting it with the two booster expansions though.
RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

Red Alert 2 is a good game for sure, you definatly gotta try it out! Great singleplayer and great multiplayer. You should also try out Tiberian Sun, Tiberium Wars and Red Alert 3

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
Supreme Commander 1 and 2?
pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts

I definantly recommen getting Red Alert 2, unless all you want is a multiplayer game. The campaign in RA 2 is very diverse, fun, and distictive. The multiplayer is dead though.