Linux is not windows

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Found this on the linux mint forum.

A beginner's guide for anyone interested in checking out linux. I thought it was a good and informative read :) gives new users an idea of what to expect from linux, and the linux community.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:

A beginner's guide for anyone interested in checking out linux. I thought it was a good and informative read :) gives new users an idea of what to expect from linux, and the linux community.

LOL 3rd partition for me? I already installed 8.1 and R2 2012.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
@AlexKidd5000 said:

Still...the only reason I see why someone would install a version of Linux would be for something like a web server or a proxy server. (maybe a media center too cause there are some good ones out there)

For everything home use and entertainment use, it's just so much hassle that I wonder why people bother?

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GoodKingMog
Member since 2015 • 167 Posts

"Linux is not windows"

shocking revelations in this thread.... *rolls eyes*

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@goodkingmog said:

"Linux is not windows"

It means you shouldn't jump to Linux with the expectations of a free version of Windows.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

Still...the only reason I see why someone would install a version of Linux would be for something like a web server or a proxy server. (maybe a media center too cause there are some good ones out there)

For everything home use and entertainment use, it's just so much hassle that I wonder why people bother?

another reason I can think of is if you have a really old system you want to get some use out of, you can use some really light weight linux distros to get some more years use out of the system.

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GoodKingMog
Member since 2015 • 167 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@goodkingmog said:

"Linux is not windows"

It means you shouldn't jump to Linux with the expectations of a free version of Windows.

even more shocking revelations from this thread....

ugh.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@thehig1 said:

@FelipeInside said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

another reason I can think of is if you have a really old system you want to get some use out of, you can use some really light weight linux distros to get some more years use out of the system.

In the sciences some of the simulation/design software needs linux. Cadence and Marssx86 are two I've had to (unfortunately) mess with linux to use.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@goodkingmog said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@goodkingmog said:

"Linux is not windows"

even more shocking revelations from this thread....

ugh.

It's a relevant point since people usually try Linux without knowing what to expect.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

on the contrary, i would say without games, there would be no need to install windows. 90% of computer use is email/facebook/youtube which is easy as cake on the popular linux distros, such as linux mint.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Most of the stuff in the article are the same things I read about decades ago. I do agree with the author about turning to OSX if I want my Unix fix.

One irritating issue I've seen with Linux is how a number of distros still choke when connecting via WiFi....strange. It's even stranger when Android doesn't seem to have any problems with WiFi.

I mean there's no problem connecting to WiFi via Live CD. Yet, if I install that Linux distro natively on the hard drive, the WiFi issue comes up. The coders need to fix that.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AlexKidd5000

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Most of the stuff in the article are the same things I read about decades ago. I do agree with the author about turning to OSX if I want my Unix fix.

One irritating issue I've seen with Linux is how a number of distros still choke when connecting via WiFi....strange. It's even stranger when Android doesn't seem to have any problems with WiFi.

I mean there's no problem connecting to WiFi via Live CD. Yet, if I install that Linux distro natively on the hard drive, the WiFi issue comes up. The coders need to fix that.

Yeah, the Wifi issue needs to be resolved.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I disagree about OSX - with the exception of some "proprietary"/paid software you might want, it is inferior to a nice Linux distro like Ubuntu. I use Windows, OSX, and Ubuntu+Debian daily, and if we are going to choose between OSX and Ubuntu, OSX is less stable, slower, and fights tooth and nail against customization (relatively speaking).

Also, as a scientist, I can assure you that neither OSX nor Windows is the preferred platform - Windows may be the king of entertainment and Office functions. Yeah, it's where you go for gaming. But Linux/Unix is what much of science works on. Now - I actually do know a lot of scientists working with OSX as well, but stuff that supports both Linux and OSX invariably works better on Linux (which it really shouldn't, but I always run into more issues with the OSX versions of scientific software and go crawling back to Linux).

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I've installed a Linux OS but only because I need it for certain programming tasks. Otherwise, Windows ftw!

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@johnd13 said:

I've installed a Linux OS but only because I need it for certain programming tasks. Otherwise, Windows ftw!

I don't know why Windows gets a bad rap - it's really a fine OS (some versions of course better than others, but you can say that about any software)

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AlexKidd5000

@xantufrog said:

@johnd13 said:

I don't know why Windows gets a bad rap - it's really a fine OS (some versions of course better than others, but you can say that about any software)

In my opinion, it kinda sucks when an OS is owned, and designed by a singular company, they can do whatever they want with it. Now I know that MS listens to criticisms, and trys to fix things, but still. Plus competition is a good thing. AND the fact that I like Linux (Manjaro) more than windows, and the way linux does things as opposed to Windows. But I still get some flak for preferring linux to windows, I find windows to be sluggish and sloppy in the way it handles software, linux is MUCH faster, and it just makes way more sense in the way you deal with software. I think people who prefer OSX are retards who are full of shit myself, but obviously there is something about OSX that they prefer over windows. I feel the same way about linux.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JigglyWiggly_

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@xantufrog said:

@johnd13 said:

In my opinion, it kinda sucks when an OS is owned, and designed by a singular company, they can do whatever they want with it. Now I know that MS listens to criticisms, and trys to fix things, but still. Plus competition is a good thing. AND the fact that I like Linux (Manjaro) more than windows, and the way linux does things as opposed to Windows. But I still get some flak for preferring linux to windows, I find windows to be sluggish and sloppy in the way it handles software, linux is MUCH faster, and it just makes way more sense in the way you deal with software. I think people who prefer OSX are retards who are full of shit myself, but obviously there is something about OSX that they prefer over windows. I feel the same way about linux.

Except at their core Linux and OSX are very similar.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

@thehig1: got a few extra years out of my old laptop using a lightweight distro (crunchbang). very handy. ran much better than XP ever did on that laptop.

its a good point though. i do encourage people who are showing some interest to give it a go but with the caveat that they need to take what they know about windows and park it.

it is just a completely different system. it has very very little in common with windows. OSx power users would probably have an easier time making the move over. hell even IOS and android users would probably have an easier time (a lot fo the same concepts like getting applications from stores instead of downloading an exe from somewhere and running it and the file structure in the backfround is hidden unless the user goes digging). But windows and a linux distro are just so different.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jun_aka_pekto

@AlexKidd5000 said:

I think people who prefer OSX are retards who are full of shit myself, but obviously there is something about OSX that they prefer over windows. I feel the same way about linux.

Most of the more hardcore Mac users I know like consistency with the way OSX and its apps look and operate. That includes having the Finder. They also liked the polished appearance of the UI.

Personally, I prefer the way Windows and Linux work which is have the app self-contained in its own window. But, I certainly wouldn't mind having Windows apps have that same consistency like apps for a Mac.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Have a bunch of different distributions multibooted onto a usb drive. Do I know how to use the majority of shit in each one?, or even how to run the operating systems half decently? **** no. Made a few cracks at learning more about Linux got annoyed with how long it took for me to do simple things, and stopped. I'll probably try again, and again every once and awhile till I know more but damn it's a far stretch from windows.

Though I had a much easier time with Linux distro's then I ever did with OSX. Don't know why maybe it's the visual style or the way they lay shit out. I just for the life of me can't find or do anything productive with a mac. I'm sure practice would improve this but I've been using windows since windows 98, so it's rather hard to allow my brain to branch out and think in the manner that allows me to fully take advantage of the OS.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@johnd13 said:

In cahoots with NSA?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@PredatorRules: Why not just have VMs for pet projects? They'll always be available to you instead of tribooting which you can only use one at a time?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GummiRaccoon

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@xantufrog said:

@johnd13 said:

Hating any one OS really just shows immaturity. I prefer windows for gaming, *nix for anything that needs to be on 24x7x365. Don't really prefer OSX for anything, but I'd rather a nice macbook over a crappy windows laptop. Although I really dig my ux305.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jun_aka_pekto

@ribstaylor1 said:

Though I had a much easier time with Linux distro's then I ever did with OSX. Don't know why maybe it's the visual style or the way they lay shit out. I just for the life of me can't find or do anything productive with a mac. I'm sure practice would improve this but I've been using windows since windows 98, so it's rather hard to allow my brain to branch out and think in the manner that allows me to fully take advantage of the OS.

It's because you're not used to the concept of the Finder which is a prominent feature of Mac operating systems from Day 1. It's the same problem for old-timer Mac users who try other OSes for the first time.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@GummiRaccoon said:

Why not just have VMs for pet projects? They'll always be available to you instead of tribooting which you can only use one at a time?

I do. But, it's more fun to have the OSes running natively with their own hardware, assuming I can find them still.....for the really old stuff, that is. I'm going to use my old laptop as a dedicated Linux rig.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GeryGo  Moderator

@GummiRaccoon said:

@PredatorRules: Why not just have VMs for pet projects? They'll always be available to you instead of tribooting which you can only use one at a time?

I do have 2 machines running, via Hyper V

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jun_aka_pekto

@PredatorRules said:

I keep forgetting I have Windows 8.1 Professional on my gaming PC (I have Win 8.1/VirtualBox on the laptop). I'll try Hyper V as well.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GummiRaccoon

@PredatorRules said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

>Hyper-v

Not even once

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GeryGo  Moderator

@GummiRaccoon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

>Hyper-v

Not even once

LOL, I'm in mid MCSE class so.. yeah...

I would try VMware if I'll see the need to

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#31 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Now that Windows 10 is going to be free, it's going to be that much harder for Linux to tempt users away.

JohnWRedelfs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JohnWRedelfs
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@thehig1: If you use an Android phone, you already use something very similar to Linux. The operating system for Tivo is Linux. OSX on the Mac is very similar to Linux. If I could play World of Warcraft on Linux, that is all I would ever want or need. As it is, WOW is much better on OSX than it is on any Windows. Of course, my experience may be unique, and your mileage may vary.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AlexKidd5000

@so_hai said:

Now that Windows 10 is going to be free, it's going to be that much harder for Linux to tempt users away.

A LOT of people pirate Windows, so obviously they don't want to pay for an OS. Windows 10 may not be an option for them if that the case, if 10 knows if a crack was used to activate Win7 or 8. I don't know if 10 being free is gonna really do anything, we will see. Obviously Linux is free without having to crack it :P

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@so_hai said:

A LOT of people pirate Windows, so obviously they don't want to pay for an OS. Windows 10 may not be an option for them if that the case, if 10 knows if a crack was used to activate Win7 or 8. I don't know if 10 being free is gonna really do anything, we will see. Obviously Linux is free without having to crack it :P

I rather use Linux than pirate Windows....especially if updating Windows becomes problematic. I have my gripes with Linux. But, there's also plenty of things to like.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@johnwredelfs: ok no idea what that comment has to do with what I said but fair enough

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FelipeInside

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Yikes.... http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-says-open-source-windows-is-definitely-possible/

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GummiRaccoon

@PredatorRules said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

>Hyper-v

Not even once

ESX is superior to hyper-v in every way.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AlexKidd5000

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Yikes.... http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-says-open-source-windows-is-definitely-possible/

M$ would have to be pretty damn threatened by linux to do that. I don't see it ever happening though, least not the entire OS + Kernel.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FelipeInside

@GummiRaccoon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

>Hyper-v

Not even once

ESX is superior in some ways, while Hyper-V has advantages in others. All depends what you want to achieve with each one, and how you want to do backups.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FelipeInside
@AlexKidd5000 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

M$ would have to be pretty damn threatened by linux to do that. I don't see it ever happening though, least not the entire OS + Kernel.

Love how people use the $ symbol with Microsoft like they are the only company in the world trying to make money, lol....

And no, Microsoft doesn't feel threatened by an OS which has no main company funding it and has less than 2% market share.

I agree they would never make Windows full open-source... they just might make some of it's software code more available for people to play around with.

@GummiRaccoon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

>Hyper-v

Not even once

ESX is superior in some ways, while Hyper-V has advantages in others. All depends what you want to achieve with each one, and how you want to do backups.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#41 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

@AlexKidd5000: Windows 10 is free even on top of pirated 7 or 8.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@FelipeInside

Well, theres trying to make money, and then there is having all the money in the world, and just being greedy douche bags, and wanting even more :P And just a habit LOL I think it would be even more appropriate to put dollar signs all around Apple though, as I think MS is the slightly lesser of the two evils believe it or not. Apple are straight up assholes :P

That would be cool non the less if they made some code available. Atleast linux will always be around though, I don't think Windows/MS's stranglehold will last forever. I prefer an open-source community driven/supported OS, rather than a closed-source massive corporation driven/supported one, but thats just me :P

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FelipeInside

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@FelipeInside

Well, theres trying to make money, and then there is having all the money in the world, and just being greedy douche bags, and wanting even more :P And just a habit LOL I think it would be even more appropriate to put dollar signs all around Apple though, as I think MS is the slightly lesser of the two evils believe it or not. Apple are straight up assholes :P

That would be cool non the less if they made some code available. Atleast linux will always be around though, I don't think Windows/MS's stranglehold will last forever. I prefer an open-source community driven/supported OS, rather than a closed-source massive corporation driven/supported one, but thats just me :P

Every huge company is greedy....or else they wouldn't survive. Saying that, MS are one of the least since they provide a LOT of free software, as well as discounts for their paid software for students etc.

Something greedy I would call EA, with their neverending DLC and micro-transactions etc.

Microsoft will still dominate for the next 50 years, like it or not. They have a hold of all the business and the majority of home users, and that's not going to change because it's what people use with their personal services.

And no, I wouldn't want a community driven OS, that would be a mess (as proven by so many Linux versions).

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GummiRaccoon

@FelipeInside said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Love how people use the $ symbol with Microsoft like they are the only company in the world trying to make money, lol....

And no, Microsoft doesn't feel threatened by an OS which has no main company funding it and has less than 2% market share.

I agree they would never make Windows full open-source... they just might make some of it's software code more available for people to play around with.

@GummiRaccoon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

>Hyper-v

Not even once

veeam is king of backups, works with esx and hyperv

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FelipeInside

@GummiRaccoon said:

@FelipeInside said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

>Hyper-v

Not even once

veeam is king of backups, works with esx and hyperv

Yes I've used Veeam and it has some very nice features.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@FelipeInside

Every huge company is greedy....or else they wouldn't survive. Saying that, MS are one of the least since they provide a LOT of free software, as well as discounts for their paid software for students etc.

Something greedy I would call EA, with their neverending DLC and micro-transactions etc.

Microsoft will still dominate for the next 50 years, like it or not. They have a hold of all the business and the majority of home users, and that's not going to change because it's what people use with their personal services.

And no, I wouldn't want a community driven OS, that would be a mess (as proven by so many Linux versions).

A company can make tons of money without being greedy shitbags, engaging in shady business practices, and ripping there customers off. The quality of Apple's products have gone down a lot in recent years. Plus the fact that they take advantage of the slave labor over in china (Foxconn), and don't care if they actively help violate basic human rights, as long as they get there money. I'll admit, my opinion on MS has changed a bit for the better. But I honestly feel like Windows has ruled the desktop for longer than it should, with smartphones and tablets being dominated by Android, and iOS, and the server market being dominated by Linux, I think Windows time is limited. Open source is being preferred more and more over closed.

EA is a shit hole of a company. I can't believe some of the shit they pull to rip people off, or maybe I can LOL

I don't expect, or even want linux to replace windows, I want it to have just enough of a foothold so that game devs, and whatnot take it more seriously.

I dunno, Manjaro, PCLinuxOS, and others are pretty amazingly well maintained/managed by there respective communities :)