Laptop CD Drive won't load anything

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for comstrikeiscool
comstrikeiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 comstrikeiscool
Member since 2004 • 3616 Posts
My grandpa recently gave me his laptop, but I can't get the cd rom drive to read anything. It opens up, the light on it turns on and the hourglass shows up, but nothing happens. Even when I go to "My Computer" nothing shows. Any help, please, thanks!
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts
My Computer doesn't show that media is inserted or it doesn't show the drive at all?
crzycespy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 crzycespy
Member since 2005 • 193 Posts
Try a few different disks. If none of them show up under "My Computer", it is safe to assume you need a new optical drive for the laptop. They are very easy to install, once you get over the "Oh crap" factor of having to take the underside of the laptop off. Just find the model number of your notebook, go to the manufacturer's site, get the model number of the drive, then hit E-Bay, Newegg, where-ever, and pick one up (They are suprisingly inexpensive). If you are too nervous to take the bottom off your laptop, just bring it by a local pc shop and offer them 20 bucks to put it in for you.
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Marfoo
Windows may just have confused itself when installing the drive, my optical drive did this recently. It's easy to fix by going in to the registry and deleting a key. Windows will then be forced to reinstall the drive from scratch which could fix it completely. So don't assume it's dead just yet.
crzycespy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 crzycespy
Windows may just have confused itself when installing the drive, my optical drive did this recently. It's easy to fix by going in to the registry and deleting a key. Windows will then be forced to reinstall the drive from scratch which could fix it completely. So don't assume it's dead just yet.Marfoo
Wouldn't it be easier to just uninstall the driver then go through the found new hardware wizard dance? Seems safer than sending him into his reg. Heh, of course I am telling him to take his computer apart, so...
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Marfoo
When I was having problems with my drive, Windows didn't think it was DVD burner or even a CD burner. I tried uninstalling through device manager and reinstalling but it wasn't resolving the problem. The problem was some parameters set in a single key in the registry. These were labeled by the device's GUID, that's why when being reinstalled Windows used the same keys because the GUID doesn't change so it just used the old key. The key itself is pretty simple, it defines whether or not you have a burner or not, and what the maximum and other supported write speeds are. You can edit the key yourself to fix it, as in my case all the parameters weren't there. I deleted it and then upon device reinstall Windows derived a fresh key from the driver information and my problem was fixed. Anyway, hopefully that's what is happening here, because it is generally easy to fix.
comstrikeiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 comstrikeiscool

My Computer doesn't show that media is inserted or it doesn't show the drive at all?Marfoo

It shows the drive, but not the media.

Try a few different disks. If none of them show up under "My Computer", it is safe to assume you need a new optical drive for the laptop. They are very easy to install, once you get over the "Oh crap" factor of having to take the underside of the laptop off. Just find the model number of your notebook, go to the manufacturer's site, get the model number of the drive, then hit E-Bay, Newegg, where-ever, and pick one up (They are suprisingly inexpensive). If you are too nervous to take the bottom off your laptop, just bring it by a local pc shop and offer them 20 bucks to put it in for you.crzycespy

The bottom of it doesn't need to be taken out or at least that's what I think. The drive has a button where if I press it I can just pull it out from the side. Do you know anything about how these work?

crzycespy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 crzycespy
It's prolly not a reg issue though. He got it from good ole gramps who used it for ebay, e-mail, and the occasional online poker when grams hit the sack. I'm not saying it couldn't be reg issue, but if I were a crazy late night gambler like grandpa, I'd wager the drive has seen better days. Ahh well, no point in me typing anymore as this will probably be buried soon. edit* Guess it isn't buried. Ahh well, then looks like swapping will be easy.
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Marfoo
Well, I would say try these two guides before swapping, just to rule out it's a software problem Guide 1Guide 2 Both require you get into the registry, but they are harmless procedures.
comstrikeiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 comstrikeiscool

Well, I would say try these two guides before swapping, just to rule out it's a software problem Guide 1Guide 2 Both require you get into the registry, but they are harmless procedures.Marfoo

Thanks! I'll take a look at these articles in the morning.