Keyboard and Mouse or a Controller?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jimmy_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 5

Poll Keyboard and Mouse or a Controller? (34 votes)

I will switch to a controller, no more KB+M 24%
I will never use a controller on my PC 53%
21%

Just curious if people have noticed, with the release of games like Titanfall, there's a strong incentive to stop using your parents old keyboard and mouse controls. Time to move on to better controls: Xbox, PS and Steam controllers. The main drawback of using a keyboard for gaming is that the keys are not analog inputs. How can you move at arbitrary speeds with a keyboard unless you mash 2 or 3 buttons at once to enable walking? With a controller, it's as simple as moving the stick forward gently. Why do you need 100+ buttons to run around in circles and jump? It's not that complicated, you should only need a few buttons, not 100's.

It's ridiculous that PC gamers think a keyboard is a better input device than a haptic device with analog inputs. I thought PC gamers pride themselves as being intelligent and the "master race" yet they use obviously inferior controls. I think it's time to switch. It's time to pick up a controller and never turn back. What do you think?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Use a wheel, you filthy casul.

Gamerno66666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By Gamerno66666
Member since 2013 • 175 Posts

You option sucks. I use both for different genres.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

@gamerno66666 said:

Ya, it's not always black and white. For FPS, always M/KB

Some games pretty much require a controller (Brothers, an example) and that's why I just picked up a controller.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

I use my Xbox controller for arcade/racing/third person action games.

I'm using not my,old parents keyboard and mouse as you describe my keyboard and mouse cost too much for my parents to spent on since they don't game.

Anyway using keyboard and mouse allows you more precise control during COMPETITIVE multiplayer fps, don't make me start about using controllet for RTS, MMOs and RPGs.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5  Edited By LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

it depends on the game. i like the mouse for most topdown RPG's, most FPS', classic adventure games, and just clicky stuff in general. however, the big reason i haven't bought super meat boy on my PC yet is that i don't have a controller for it.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Depends on the game you filthy Gorilla!

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

some games play better with gamepad, some with KB+M. end of story.

but about you post, saying that gamepad is better in competetive online shooter = fail. you can never reach the speed and precision of mouse aiming with those clumsy analog sticks. and that is a fact, not an opinion. although i've seen some heavy auto-aim crap in those Titanfall videos, so i guess it's plausible.

i play some casual singleplayer FPS games (like Dishonored and Outlast recently) with gamepad, but online games? never. ever.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

fail thread. controller is good for some games. KB/Mouse is good for other games. they are not mutually exclusive.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Pretty much the same opinion as everyone else. FPS is a must with KB/M, but say something like the Lego games I am going with a controller.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Your posts are so bad in quality it's hard to tell if you're being sarcastic. I'll give a reasonable response anyway.

I'm not going to talk about the mouse portion since a mouse is significantly better even compared to auto aim for a controller. You cannot actuate a trigger remotely near the speed of the click of a mouse, and this is a low ttk shooter so this matters a lot.

About keyboards...Quake Live is the most movement dependant game for aiming that is popular. By that I mean you use your movement to aim and mirror them or to focus on your dodge. I'm not talking about the platforming. If you want, there's this.

A thumbstick is too slow to change directions. Additionally in many games (including quake live, cod games, ut based games, and many others) performing a "w+a","w+d", "s+a", or "s+d" makes you move faster when you change directions compared to simple switching between a and d.

So when I swap directions from going left, I'll often press w +d and turn my mouse for an additional speedboost due to the way the physics work. (That's how strafe jumping works in the first place)

Performing that with a thumbstick would be much slower, especially in situations where you decide to adadad spam. Also, there are simply not enough buttons on a controller.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Well I don't know if you're serious or not but as far as fps or mmos or anything that's not a button pushing mindless console game then the keyboard is far better.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I never use Mouse and Keyboard (excluding Football Manager & Minecraft) I prefer controller input.

However I'm aware players using mouse and keyboard have a huge advantage in FPS games in particular, but I don't play multiplayer at all so Controller input feels more natural.

I also have my PC on my plasma TV and game from the couch, pretty much like you would with a console, keyboard and mouse cannot be used comfortably on a couch

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

FPS - kb/m

Everything else - controller

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@Vatusus said:

FPS - kb/m

RTS? :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@groowagon said:

@Vatusus said:

FPS - kb/m

I dont like RTS but if I did, sure

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I use both. I'll use a 360 controller for stuff like Batman.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Mouse and keyboard when I'm trying to win, controller when I'm trying to relax and have fun.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

I have no idea what the 3rd option was so chose that.

I like keyboard and mouse in some games, a controller in others.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

For most 3D games controllers arent even an option for me because KB&M is just so much better. Racing games and side scrolling games are pretty much the only thing I ever use my controller for.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I'm with TC 100%. Controller all the way for all genres, including hardcore strategy games.

I believe one of the problems with competitive FPS is they simply haven't made one that takes full advantage analog movements and analog triggers. Shouldn't the competitive FPS genre require more than just quick precision pin pointing to play ? I like to think the genre can do better.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Vatusus said:

@groowagon said:

@Vatusus said:

FPS - kb/m

MMOs?

RPGs?

Turn Based Strategy?

Card Games?

controller with those would be difficult.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I'm with TC 100%. Controller all the way for all genres, including hardcore strategy games.

WTF? A controller to play Starcraft for example?

MMOs?

RPGs?

Turn Based Strategy?

Card Games?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ FelipeInside

I'm not talking about simply switching from KB M to controller. I'm talking building the game from the ground up with the controller in Mind. As for Strategy games I actually reccomend the Touch Screen Route. Same with Card Games. and RPG is not a genre, so the best controls for that would be decided on a contextual basis.

Only game I reccomend for Keyboard and Mouse is Typing Games. And uhm.... Mousing Games.... I don't know. A mouses only trump card is its precision and I think a minor tweak to a normal controller would change that. Simply replace the right analog stick with a track pad. And voila ! It won't be as accurate as a mouse but the precision difference will be noticable. Doesn't the Steam Controller have Trackpads on it ?

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

It depends cause like some others above said,some games are better with either a kb/m, and some with a controller.

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

The only game to have ever made me use a controller (actually BUY and USE a controller) was Dark Souls on PC ... because From Software ...

It's still somewhere around here catching dust or something ... will have to find it actually, since DS2 will hardly be much different than the first shit port (hopefully I end up wrong ... but this is japanese developers we're talking about)..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@FelipeInside said:

@Vatusus said:

@groowagon said:

@Vatusus said:

FPS - kb/m

MMOs?

RPGs?

Turn Based Strategy?

Card Games?

controller with those would be difficult.

Dont play any of those genres with the exception of RPGs wich I have no problem playing with a controller. But then again RPG is a broader genre. There are some that are played better with a controller (ex: Dark Souls) and others that are better with kb/m (ex: DA:Origins)

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

It depends on the type of game. I use my mouse / keyboard for shooters, strategy games, and RPG's like TES. And, I use a 360 controller for racing games, platformers, and RPG's like Dark Souls...

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Where is the option for both?

I use keyboard and mouse for most games but when I got south park I didn't even consider k+m and picked up the pad straight away...same with dark souls

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

WTF? A controller to play Starcraft for example?

MMOs?

RPGs?

Turn Based Strategy?

Card Games?

It isn't hardcore before you play RTS with a NES controller. Thought everyone knew that. :P

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

3rd person shooter/adventure games, fighting games and driving games (if you don't have a wheel) sure a controller is the way to go. Even flight games do well with a controller but you really should have a decent joystick.

Everything else is a mouse and keyboard.

p.s. who let the troll into the PC forums?

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#34 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

The only game I played lately that required a controller was DMC.

Rtzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Rtzon
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

@gamerno66666 said:

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#36 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Bad poll and you should feel bad. No controller beats the precision of a mouse. Keyboard also has a large number of keys at your disposal.

I use the controller for racing games and some platformers. So I use both and that makes me a winner. Are you a winner Jimmy_Russell? No, you aren't.

See you in your next troll thread.

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts

When I play with a controller I feel like a big doo doo and that's a big no no.

Englandfc1966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Englandfc1966
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts

M/KB is better at everything.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@jimmy_russell said:

@SEANMCAD said:

its been prooven in controlled studies that mouse and keyboard are better for FPS games then game controller

Can you link me to these studies? That sounds like an interesting hypothesis.

For starters, Jimmy, I played with keyboard and mouse because in the nineties 3D accelerated games were pc only and they didn't support any analog sticks (not as for that i know of). I'm in my thirties now but I'm offended when you say 'your parents' lol (don't have any kids yet...).

I have started using a controller (for 3d games, fps) because I bought an x360 back in 2006. The x360 was a formidable machine when it got released. I needed to pay a lot more to have the same hardware (gaming performance wise) in a pc. For that I was willing to try out the new x360 controller and I was pleasantly surprised, the setup of the sticks felt more natural than the playstation counterpart (I never like the playstation controller for 3d games)

Then I bought a pc again when the x360 was getting a bit dated imo when it came to graphics (2010) and pc hardware was more affordable to me. I played with mouse & keyboard again but after I while i missed the couch and the big tv. Then I started hooking up my pc to my tv and since pc games have very good support for the x360 controller, I never went back to the desk.

Well almost never, I bought a mouse & keyboard emulator for my x360 to slaughter some people in battlefield but lately I don't even do that anymore, the desk is just not as fun as the couch & the tv. Now I even play dayz with a controller but I wouldn't play a game or battlefield or call of duty though (not in competive multiplayer)

Simply because you won't have the same precision and speed with analog sticks as you have with a mouse & keyboard. They tested this once but i can't find anything about it right now, and the mouse &keyboard won. It can still be up for debate, if someone has grown up with a controller he could maybe beat someone (of the same skill) with a mouse & keyboard, but it seems unlikely, not when you need fast precise aiming.

However, I use a controller in dayz now and it does have it's advantages, aiming may not be as fast and precise as with the mouse, you are more agile, moving is just easier with sticks especially when you use third person. I would say in a close combat environment the controller works better but I would never bet on a controller in long range firefights. Not when you have similar screen sizes anyway. You do have a better overview with the tv, If you a have very big tv, then you don't have to aim that precise as on a monitor because a character get's bigger and is easier to aim for. I gamed once on a projector with mouse and keyboard and I won the matches much easier. You could put a desk in front of your tv too but who does that.

So I would say in a fps game, where it isn't all about close combat and the screen sizes are the same, the mouse & keyboard would surely win. If it's third person, a lot of close combat and a big difference in screen size I would have a lot of doubts. Having said that, the mouse & keyboard may be more precise, the controller combined with couch & tv is a lot more fun (to me anyway).

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Controller for racing games and certain action-adventure games but M/KB for EVERYTHING else.

I remember Microsoft toyed with the idea of allowing cross-platform play between x-box and PC but they had to scrap it pretty quickly due to the PC players (M/KB) destroying the xbox players. Supposedly it wasn't even close - the PC players dominated. The rumor was, if cross-platform play had been allowed to launch, it would have been an embarrassment for the XBOX team.

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

OP, you need a wake up call. KB/M slaughters controllers at fps games. Try playing CoD on Xbox One, then play the same game on PC. The precision with the mouse is waaaay better than the analog stick. Put it to you this way. Mouse aiming is perfect 1:1 movement. Your wrist movements correspond EXACTLY with what your character is doing on screen. With the right analog stick, it's like driving a car. You turn the wheel while driving, and the car turns as far and tight as you have the wheel turned. Then when you turn the wheel back to it's normal upright position, the car stops moving. Same thing with analog aiming. Depending on how far you move the stick, you will turn slower or faster. Now imagine driving a car at insane speeds. Then trying to turn at a hard angle. If you don't slow down you may run off the road. The comparison here is a little awkward, but when moving quickly and not hard scoping, you will have a hard time hitting the target because you end up over or under-compensating in an attempt to hit the target quickly before they get you. This is why I always say that analog aiming is relatively imprecise because we have a hard time controlling our aim in an intense fire fight. Not impossible, just difficult.

With mouse aiming, in an intense fire fight, you could certainly over or under compensate, but you can more easily get the feel for it after a time or two of having a point blank encounter with an enemy player.

No, using a controller in a first person shooter is not better in any case.