Just Cause 2 XP Patch?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

So I just found out that Just Cause 2 does not support XP...

Over 40% of the PC gaming market is XP... this is insane.

I know this is old news, so back on topic, does anyone know of a working patch somewhere out there?

And for anyone who'll ask why I'm still using XP because I hate Vista so I downgraded.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Dual boot to vista and play it.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Too badz for you, that is what you get when you stick to legacy software for no valid reason... I am a big fan of legacy hardware and software, but this is just stupid.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
Too badz for you, that is what you get when you stick to legacy software for no valid reason... I am a big fan of legacy hardware and software, but this is just stupid.JigglyWiggly_
XP performs better then Windows 7, so how is that stupid?
Avatar image for spiderman120988
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#5 spiderman120988
Member since 2005 • 1421 Posts
Just upgrade to Win7, it's what Vista was supposed to be. Believe me, after I upgraded, I never regretted it.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

I know this is old news, so back on topic, does anyone know of a working patch somewhere out there?

And for anyone who'll ask why I'm still using XP because I hate Vista so I downgraded.

sonic_spark

Sorry that your 9 year old operating system is losing support. XP is being discontinued by Microsoft soon anyway so you will have to upgrade soon enough. Get Windows 7, it is a huge leap over Vista.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

sonic_spark
I was at your same stage a few weeks back. I decided to upgrade to W7, just to play this game.... AND TRUST ME IT WAS WORTH IT....game is amazing. If you have the hardware and can afford the upgrade, DO IT !!!
UbiquitousAeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 UbiquitousAeon
Member since 2010 • 2099 Posts

As a Windows XP user, I have to say that you should get Windows 7 if you want to play it.

Obviously, if you're going to continue using an outdated OS, you should realize that some games will not be supported and over time support will completely stop. Just saying.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Too badz for you, that is what you get when you stick to legacy software for no valid reason... I am a big fan of legacy hardware and software, but this is just stupid.d10sfan

No it really dosent unless your drivers or system is incredibly out of date.

Windows 7 is very good, much better than Vista was. If you want to play any new games in the future, you will need to upgrade to Windows 7.

No, benchmarks have basically proven that XP performs better then Windows 7. I don't feel compelled to spend 100$ just so I can play DX10/11.
ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts

Just upgrade to Win7, it's what Vista was supposed to be. Believe me, after I upgraded, I never regretted it. spiderman120988
So you purchased Vista and 7? I got some things I need to sell as well since you don't mind throwing money away:)

Don't worry about these people saying XP is dead. 2-5 years from now major devs will still be puting games out for XP. Whatever number of gamers use XP in the US just remember that that number is doubled for the rest of the world.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
I luv how Vista and 7 are exactly the same.
zhuhaohao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zhuhaohao
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

sonic_spark
it is good
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
I wonder if I look back to 2002-2003 with games supporting XP and dropping Win98 I will see people complaining that the games did not support MS-DOS or Windows 95.
dannyw7982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dannyw7982
Member since 2006 • 261 Posts

Wouldn't even bother asking OP, you will get insta flamed by all Gates buddys on here. Tbh your not missing much anyway wasn't overly impressed with the game myself or tbh general direction of games of late. Pc has massive back cataloge of classic games with much deeper and immersive gameplay than some of this generic modern rubish we get now.

JonSnow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JonSnow777
Member since 2009 • 787 Posts

If you prefer XP, that's fine. But don't go blaming Microsoft or game developers because their products don't support your old-ass operating system. That's immature and irresponsible. Take charge of your life and understand that there are consequences to your choices, such as not being able to use certain products because you insist on sticking with an old OS.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

No, benchmarks have basically proven that XP performs better then Windows 7. I don't feel compelled to spend 100$ just so I can play DX10/11.JangoWuzHere

Not true.

And have fun using more than 2GB Ram and 32-bit applications. You're also ignoring huge UI improvements.

All for the price of 2 games...

So you purchased Vista and 7? I got some things I need to sell as well since you don't mind throwing money away:)

ekultus

Are you too young to remember the era when a new Windows was launched every two years and a new DX every 18-20 months?

OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts
I have to agree...Win 7 is way better then XP.!!! Almost all my games run better on Win 7 then they did on XP SP 3 ( same rig)
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

I luv how Vista and 7 are exactly the same.JigglyWiggly_

No they're not. When I tried out Windows 7 my RAM usage dropped by 2500MB, and my system crashed a lot less. Also some things such as my TV tuner, which was made for Windows Vista, worked great where on Vista it was very buggy.

morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Too badz for you, that is what you get when you stick to legacy software for no valid reason... I am a big fan of legacy hardware and software, but this is just stupid.JangoWuzHere

And Win98 peforms better then XP. Saying WinXP performs better then Win7 is pointless. XP is outdated, no point in using it over Win7.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

If you prefer XP, that's fine. But don't go blaming Microsoft or game developers because their products don't support your old-ass operating system. That's immature and irresponsible. Take charge of your life and understand that there are consequences to your choices, such as not being able to use certain products because you insist on sticking with an old OS.

JonSnow777

Great response!

I would never fault anyone for choosing to stick with XP...that's their choice. However, choosing to stick with an outdated OS carries consequences, and this is one of them. Expect less and less games to carry support for XP as things progress even further.

ANyways, was just looking at the STEAM hardware survey and looks like XP is down to 38% and lost 1.72% from the last survery. Windows 7 (64bit only) grew 1.4% to 24%. All together, it appears Vista/7 now controlls the majority of systems, and DX10/11 adoption is also the majority.

Finally lol...

murekkep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23 murekkep
Member since 2005 • 758 Posts

Really an outdated operating system.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Renevent42

I'm glad you got a chart out that includes people's work computers and grandma's Pentium 3, but if you want a better understanding of GAMING computers and the OS used:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

And yes, Windows XP is now two OS generations behind...it's IS outdated.

murekkep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 murekkep
Member since 2005 • 758 Posts

I'm glad you got a chart out that includes people's work computers and grandma's Pentium 3, but if you want a better understanding of GAMING computers and the OS used:

Renevent42

Check before you post maybe?

I also love how people whine about how sucky Vista was when it first came out and now same people whine about how sucky Xp is.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Baranga

I also love how people whine about how sucky Vista was when it first came out and now same people whine about how sucky Xp is. murekkep

Vista ran like an exploded dog when it came out. They fixed it. But 7 is better than both.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Renevent42

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]

murekkep

Check before you post maybe?

I also love how people whine about how sucky Vista was when it first came out and now same people whine about how sucky Xp is.

I did

Windows 7 64 bit - (+1.43%) 24.42%

Windows Vista 32 bit - (-0.19%) 16.69%

Windows 7 - (+0.33%) 11.25%

Windows Vista 64 bit - (+0.15%) 7.75%

All together Vista/7 hold a larger share of pc gaming computers. Your OS is outdated, bro.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58453 Posts

Just upgrade to Win7, it's what Vista was supposed to be. Believe me, after I upgraded, I never regretted it. spiderman120988

it cost 100 dollars. Thats a significant investment for most people, especially when their current OS works flawlessly.

I do plan on upgrading though wne my tax return comes back

LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

Whatever. Good work on your fanboyism. Don't forget to throw sh*t on Windows 7 when the next Windows comes.

murekkep

You know, attacking the man rather than the issue is a bad stance to have...

But anyway, I had Vista 64 from when it came out - I liked it and never had any issues with it. I moved on to Win7 (initially just on my laptop, since that was free, but then paid to upgrade my gaming machine) and similarly have no regrets. I find Win7 that bit easier to use and has nicely refreshed my system. XP is old now, and while you don't have to upgrade from it, people have to aware that they will have to upgrade fairly soon for MS support and general software/developer support.

Vista and 7 allow the user to get the most out of modern hardware. Games, inevitably, demand high performance and while devs in the short term will cater for the existing XP audience, eventually more and more will say "XP is holding our game back". And in time, the same will happen to Vista/7.

You may not like it, but that's progress.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
Just wondering - how many other components of your PC are you willing to have that are a decade old?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="d10sfan"]

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"] XP performs better then Windows 7, so how is that stupid?JangoWuzHere

No it really dosent unless your drivers or system is incredibly out of date.

Windows 7 is very good, much better than Vista was. If you want to play any new games in the future, you will need to upgrade to Windows 7.

No, benchmarks have basically proven that XP performs better then Windows 7. I don't feel compelled to spend 100$ just so I can play DX10/11.

I thought the same as you, but the with right hardware, W7 performs same or even better in some games. I have a Q6600, 4GB RAM, 8800GTX, not brand new hardware. I put W7 64bit on (coming from 4 years of XP Pro 32bit). All games have performed the SAME as XP....but even Just Cause 2 performed perfectly on DirectX10.... Don't believe the benchmarks...
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"] No, benchmarks have basically proven that XP performs better then Windows 7. I don't feel compelled to spend 100$ just so I can play DX10/11.Baranga

Not true.

And have fun using more than 2GB Ram and 32-bit applications. You're also ignoring huge UI improvements.

All for the price of 2 games...

ekultus

Are you too young to remember the era when a new Windows was launched every two years and a new DX every 18-20 months?

There are many games that run better on XP than Vista/7, one game with a huge difference in performance off the top of my head is ArmA II. Crysis is another one I hear.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Makari

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]I luv how Vista and 7 are exactly the same.PublicNuisance

No they're not. When I tried out Windows 7 my RAM usage dropped by 2500MB, and my system crashed a lot less. Also some things such as my TV tuner, which was made for Windows Vista, worked great where on Vista it was very buggy.

Between Vista and 7 your RAM usage didn't go anywhere, Win7 just notes that 'cached' memory isn't necessarily taken up - it's included in the 'available' amount now where in Vista it wasn't. Vista used as much of your RAM as possible to keep cached programs that were likely to be run, and Win7 does the exact same thing. That said - yeah, it's nice. I wouldn't recommend anything else to someone asking right now. The native driver support in 7 is absolutely killer - being able to take an Athlon 64 computer, switch out the motherboard and video card to a Core i7, and have the OS recognize everything and boot right back up is niiiiice. You still have to fix the drivers up later on, but at least having the choice vs. a full reformat is win. Also I suspect that the thing is games written for Windows XP will perform better on Windows XP, yeah. Stuff written natively for DX10/11 likely do better there - sort of like Far Cry 2 performing much better under DX10 than it did under DX9.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FelipeInside
At the end of the day....more and more games will start been written for DirectX10/11....and will perform better on W7. All I'm hoping for now is that MS don't decide to bring out W8 anytime soon.... stupid idea bringing out a new OS every couple of years...
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Just wondering what other games have dropped XP besides JC2. It's not important to me since I've moved my gaming to Windows 7. But, I know a few (game purists who want the highest performance possible) who still have XP.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FelipeInside

Just wondering what other games have dropped XP besides JC2. It's not important to me since I've moved my gaming to Windows 7. But, I know a few (game purists who want the highest performance possible) who still have XP.

jun_aka_pekto
I don't believe many have. I remember Halo 2 been Vista exclusive wasn't it...
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

FelipeInside

Oh, that's right. I skipped all the hoopla with Vista. So, I forgot all about Halo 2 on the PC. I'm kind of mixed on developers dropping XP support. Personally, I thought the almost 9 years with XP was one of the greatest periods for the PC. I guess it is time to move on.

But, I still keep XP alive via VirtualBox for those old (OpenGL) games that won't run in Win 7.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Baranga

At the end of the day....more and more games will start been written for DirectX10/11....and will perform better on W7. All I'm hoping for now is that MS don't decide to bring out W8 anytime soon.... stupid idea bringing out a new OS every couple of years...FelipeInside

That's how it was before Microsoft had a brain fart with Longhorn... There's no other way to keep up with the evolution of hardware.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Makari

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

jun_aka_pekto

Oh, that's right. I skipped all the hoopla with Vista. So, I forgot all about Halo 2 on the PC. I'm kind of mixed on developers dropping XP support. Personally, I thought the almost 9 years with XP was one of the greatest periods for the PC. I guess it is time to move on.

But, I still keep XP alive via VirtualBox for those old (OpenGL) games that won't run in Win 7.

Coming from Win98, I was *pissed* that XP had dropped native DOS mode. It took DOSBox years and years to catch up on the games I wanted to play that wouldn't work in Windows XP (namely Crusader: No Remorse and Jane's ATF: NATO Fighters, both ~5 years old when XP released, weren't really working in DOSBox until ~2005), and some stuff like Interstate '76 just plain never worked again until GOG.com saved us. We've been there before. :D
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

At the end of the day....more and more games will start been written for DirectX10/11....and will perform better on W7. All I'm hoping for now is that MS don't decide to bring out W8 anytime soon.... stupid idea bringing out a new OS every couple of years...FelipeInside

MS intend to bring out a new OS every 2 years. Its almost what they've always done except the gap between XP and Vista..

Also its kinda pointless writing a DX10+ exclusive engine when current gen consoles are running some derivative of DX9 and they will be around for a good few years yet.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]At the end of the day....more and more games will start been written for DirectX10/11....and will perform better on W7. All I'm hoping for now is that MS don't decide to bring out W8 anytime soon.... stupid idea bringing out a new OS every couple of years...bonafidetk

MS intend to bring out a new OS every 2 years. Its almost what they've always done except the gap between XP and Vista..

Also its kinda pointless writing a DX10+ exclusive engine when current gen consoles are running some derivative of DX9 and they will be around for a good few years yet.

If true...bringing out a new OS every 2 years is stupid and a pain in the ar....

Why not stick to one OS and improve on it for a decade (like XP)

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Just posting my opinion/experiance here: I found win98 much more stable than xp. When xp came out they had plenty "do not send" When vista came out they were abit slow in comparison with the xp. From what i witness all around me, more people still use xp and its supported fine by 90% of the games out there. I also witness better perfomance on xp which seems to be mostly dx10 related on vista. Vista/win7 need more ram. Thats true. Also support more. However i know find myself to have a slow experiance on xp due to my new hardware. Its seems xp 32 bit are not doing to well with quadcore cpus x64 and high speed ddr 3 rams. Or thats my experiance, also having trouble with games. So i went ton win7 and everything was fine. Sadly i had to switch back to xp because of mod problems in fallout 3. Now regarding just cause 2? Its a console game, there is 0% need for dx10, there is no reason for dx10 and it should be available on xp. As for MS? When that traitor company decides to focus on pc gaming and give us a pc game instead of caring only for the xbox 360, give me a call.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="dakan45"]Just posting my opinion/experiance here: I found win98 much more stable than xp. When xp came out they had plenty "do not send" When vista came out they were abit slow in comparison with the xp. From what i witness all around me, more people still use xp and its supported fine by 90% of the games out there. I also witness better perfomance on xp which seems to be mostly dx10 related on vista. Vista/win7 need more ram. Thats true. Also support more. However i know find myself to have a slow experiance on xp due to my new hardware. Its seems xp 32 bit are not doing to well with quadcore cpus x64 and high speed ddr 3 rams. Or thats my experiance, also having trouble with games. So i went ton win7 and everything was fine. Sadly i had to switch back to xp because of mod problems in fallout 3. Now regarding just cause 2? Its a console game, there is 0% need for dx10, there is no reason for dx10 and it should be available on xp. As for MS? When that traitor company decides to focus on pc gaming and give us a pc game instead of caring only for the xbox 360, give me a call.

I totally agree with you on JC2, it does not need to be W7 exclusive. Saying that, God it's a fun awesome game and it looks as good as Crysis (minus the human faces)
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

bonafidetk

Consoles don't run DX9, they have their own custom API's that map very specifically to their hardware. So even though a console like the PS3 has a GPU that's very much a "DX9"-level part, you can still do a lot more things than you could do with a PC running a 7800GT through DX9. So you don't really get parity by running DX9 for your Windows build. Instead you just artificially limit yourself to an old spec, instead of taking advantage of the newer and more powerful hardware that's out there.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
^ and thats why people have been saying "pc hardware are much powerfull than the consoles" since the age of 8800GT. But as Teufelhuhn pointed out, it does not exactly work like that at such a straight out comparison.
morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

Really an outdated operating system.

murekkep

And what does usage mean compared to be outdated? Xp is 10 **** years old.

Lets look here:

Windows 7 64 bit (+1.43%) 24.42%

Windows Vista 32 bit (-0.19%) 16.69% Windows 7 (+0.33%) 11.25%

Windows Vista 64 bit (+0.15%) 7.75%

Thats: 60.11% for Win7/Vista

Windows XP 32 bit (-1.72%)38.61%

Windows XP 64 bit 0.62%

Thats : 39.23% for XP

60.11% for Win7/Vista 39.23% for XP

Yea XP is WAY behind. GJ!