Just Beat Tomb Raider 2013

This topic is locked from further discussion.

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 II-Siamak-II
Member since 2012 • 480 Posts

What an amazing experience it was, This is more like a personal opinion but having played all 3 uncharted games, I can say this with confident that Tomb Raider is a better game in game play, graphic and even the story and characters. I usually can't sit and play a single player game for more than 30 min or so at a time but this game made me sit and play for hours. all weapons where very satisfiying as well as upgrades, skills, etc... I know a lot of people complained about QTE but tbh I didn't mind it, as a matter of fact I actually liked most of them, so overall I would give the game my personal 9.5/10

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

What an amazing experience it was, This is more like a personal opinion but having played all 3 uncharted games, I can say this with confident that Tomb Raider is a better game in game play, graphic and even the story and characters. I usually can't sit and play a single player game for more than 30 min or so at a time but this game made me sit and play for hours. all weapons where very satisfiying as well as upgrades, skills, etc... I know a lot of people complained about QTE but tbh I didn't mind it, as a matter of fact I actually liked most of them, so overall I would give the game my personal 9.5/10

II-Siamak-II
that's pretty much exactly how i feel about it. totally immersive, heartpounding action, didn't want to stop playing or put it down. flat out awesome game and (IMO) game of the year. tomb raider (2013) = all time classic/masterpiece.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I toatally disagree, especially the part about the story and characters. The story isn't too bad, but the characters are all bland and have no development whatsoever.

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 II-Siamak-II

I toatally disagree, especially the part about the story and characters. The story isn't too bad, but the characters are all bland and have no development whatsoever.

JangoWuzHere

again that's why I said in my personal opinion ;)

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

II-Siamak-II

Well, you posted a thread that is mainly your opinion on the game. I imagine the point of this thread is to talk about the game and your opinion. Unless you just made this thread to simply praise Tomb Raider.
buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 buccomatic

JangoWuzHere
i loved the story and the characters. tomb raider (easily) had the best story and characters in any game i've played since red dead redemption and i've played all the AAA games since red dead redemption.
II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 II-Siamak-II

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

JangoWuzHere

Well, you posted a thread that is mainly your opinion on the game. I imagine the point of this thread is to talk about the game and your opinion. Unless you just made this thread to simply praise Tomb Raider.

I did make this thread to talk about the game but also I did make it to praise the game since it deserve it. you totally disagree with my points and that is all fair and good and I completely disagree with your point of view on the game, it's simple as that.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

buccomatic

i loved the story and the characters. tomb raider (easily) had the best story and characters in any game i've played since red dead redemption and i've played all the AAA games since red dead redemption.

Most of the character development is found in optional doucments all over the island. During the actual game, everyone is a walking cliche or just...boring.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

I really enjoyed it. 

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

For me it feel like very good third person shooter with excellent gameplay, gunplay, and an ok story.

but since it is a tomb raider game i expected to be full of puzzles etc, and very little shooting. so i was little disappointed.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Definitely better than UC3, but UC2 still holds the TPS swashbuckling adventure crown.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 buccomatic

[QUOTE="buccomatic"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

JangoWuzHere

Most of the character development is found in optional doucments all over the island. During the actual game, everyone is a walking cliche or just...boring.

most of?? no. not quite. part yes. but not most. i really liked how dumbass whitman was all "ohh these wonderful tribespeople are going to make a great study and we're all going enjoy and wonderful documentary together, sit around the campfire fire, get all multicultural and KUMBAYA!" and then those savage cannibal devil worshipping freaks, which he foolishly thought were wonderful cultured people, straight jack him when he tried to make contact in a friendly manner LOL! i was like oh damn you dummy! why so trusting of evil, demon possesed savages? we need to wipe them out instead of kiss their a$$!! it was a classic moment i'll never forget and you could tell it was coming. and the idea that it was going to happen is what made it so good when it did happen. i LOL hard at that moment.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#13 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I think UC has it beat in terms of characters and story, but Tomb Raider has much better game mechanics, and in the end that is the most important aspect of any game. 

Really enjoyable experience, I agree. 

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 buccomatic

but there wre two things i didn't like aboutthe game.

1. the QTE. there wasn't a tonm of them to make me want to quit, not even close. however the game would have been better if they had cut the QTE by about 1/2. then there would have been good balance with them. i did like the QTE during combat when you could dodge and bury then rock climbers pick into the head of an enemy or boss. those were AWESOME boss fights and melee battles during combat, LOVED IT.

2. lara fell down to much and landed on here side, back and face waay too much. it was cool the first few times, then it happened so repeadedly it was so unrealistic and repetetive that it annoyed me a little and really that was the only really bad flaw in the game IMO.

i would give tomb raider a 9.5/10 and if it didn't have lara falling through a wooden floor and landing on hard concrete or rocks all game long (unrealistic and too repetetive), every 45 minutes and if they had cut the QTE by half i would have given the game a perfect 10/10. IMO this is one of the best games i've ever played and i would put it up there with legend of zelda link to the past, rdr, me2, wow (vanilla and TBC) and fallout 3 goty. badass game!

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#15 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Reading some of these comments, this is why I feel out of touch with modern gaming. I really can't see what was so special about this game. Mechanically its very solid and visually its fine. But while I was playing it I could imagine the marketing committee sitting around thinking: "How can we make this more like Uncharted?" They've turned Tomb Raider, which used to be about the puzzles and tombs, into an action game. What's so special about that? The type of action they've chosen and the number enemies thrown at you doesn't fit at all with the story segments. They also butchered the origin parts for Lara badly. She really isn't that interesting as a character. She's extremely dull. 

I only got a Playstation last year and having played all the Uncharted games already I can say that its leagues ahead of this. 

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts
Wow, people really thought this game was that good?
II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 II-Siamak-II

Reading some of these comments, this is why I feel out of touch with modern gaming. I really can't see what was so special about this game. Mechanically its very solid and visually its fine. But while I was playing it I could imagine the marketing committee sitting around thinking: "How can we make this more like Uncharted?" They've turned Tomb Raider, which used to be about the puzzles and tombs, into an action game. What's so special about that? The type of action they've chosen and the number enemies thrown at you doesn't fit at all with the story segments. They also butchered the origin parts for Lara badly. She really isn't that interesting as a character. She's extremely dull. 

I only got a Playstation last year and having played all the Uncharted games already I can say that its leagues ahead of this. 

biggest_loser

Problem with most gamers is they don't like change. this is a complete reboot of the game and why do you think a brand ( in this case Tomb Raider ) should not change over 10-15 years? why can't you accept that we need change? and you say Lara is boring and uninteresting? im sorry but she is not only miles ahead of previous Lara but also one of the best characters I've seen this gen.

again we have to agree not everyone gonna like this game and sometimes people like to bash the game with closed eyes. Also as I said I played all 3 uncharted games and while I liked them none of them can match the graphics/gameplay and mechanics of Tomb Raider. the best one was Uncharted 2 and even that one only had the graphic and character but severly lacked the gameplay and mechanics.

the guns and bow in Tomb Raider destroys anythink uncharted has to offer.

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 II-Siamak-II

Wow, people really thought this game was that good? Mcspanky37

It was Amazing.....says me :D

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I was bored out of my mind after the 15th time she fell from a height of about 10 feet and didn't break any bone.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Problem with most gamers is they don't like change. this is a complete reboot of the game and why do you think a brand ( in this case Tomb Raider ) should not change over 10-15 years? why can't you accept that we need change? and you say Lara is boring and uninteresting? im sorry but she is not only miles ahead of previous Lara but also one of the best characters I've seen this gen.

II-Siamak-II

Most of the times, if not always, gamers don't like certain elements from a game that actually made them a fan thrown away or heavily simplified in another installment, instead of improving/building upon them, exactly how succesors should.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

Lucianu

Most of the times, if not always, gamers don't like certain elements from a game that actually made them a fan thrown away or heavily simplified in another installment, instead of improving/building upon them, exactly how succesors should.

I don't like games that treat me like an idiot. Tomb Raider treats me like an idiot.
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts
Lara fights against hundreds of bad guys with pretty much zero experience in combat (correct me if I'm wrong), yet you guys complain Lara falling down too much and not breaking any bones is not realistic. Okay.
agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

I thought it was pretty good. Definitely better than Uncharted 3, which I played through recently as well. 

By the end I was getting quite tired of the combat with all of the armored enemies. I also found the first half a bit more interesting since the story was more about survival. 

Overall though I enjoyed it more than I thought I would and would say its a solid 7 or 8.

IAAGguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 IAAGguy
Member since 2013 • 125 Posts
Hmm I have been thinking about getting the game (I am a huge Uncharted fan) But I had NEVER played a Tomb Raider game. Is the game for the PC and if so is it available on Steam?
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
It was fun and I had a blast playing it but the story turned rather predictable and the character development was shit.
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts

Hmm I have been thinking about getting the game (I am a huge Uncharted fan) But I had NEVER played a Tomb Raider game. Is the game for the PC and if so is it available on Steam? IAAGguy

Don't need to play any other Tomb Raider game, because this game is a reboot. And of course its available on PC, what message board are we on? :P It is on Steam as well.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#28 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

As an action game, Tomb Raider is fun.  Nice exploration, great island, etc.

As a story-focused game it's a pathetic effort in every way that matters.  It's just bad, there's no salvaging how stupid the narrative is, how poorly done Lara's character arc is, how every other character serves an objective marker and nothing more, and the jarring differences shown between what the story wants you to feel (this girl is forced to survive) to what the gameplay actually allows you to do (Lara's a psychopath and she's totally cool with it).

When the game lets you control it, it's some of the most fun I've had with an action title.  When it forces you to deal with what the writers and designers thought would be emotionally charged it falls flat on its face.

And that ending with the arena and boss..... that was Perfect Dark Zero level of bad.  And that is BAD.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

KHAndAnime

I don't like games that treat me like an idiot. Tomb Raider treats me like an idiot.

Exactly.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#30 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

again we have to agree not everyone gonna like this game and sometimes people like to bash the game with closed eyes. Also as I said I played all 3 uncharted games and while I liked them none of them can match the graphics/gameplay and mechanics of Tomb Raider. the best one was Uncharted 2 and even that one only had the graphic and character but severly lacked the gameplay and mechanics.

II-Siamak-II

I'm not against change. I'm against games losing their uniqueness and idiosyncrasies. Transforming Tomb Raider from a game about exploration into a standard action shooting game isn't real change. Its just settling for whats common and standard. 

Its not even rebooting. They're just thinking about what will sell. Rebooting would preserve the best elements and improve them. 

I find it ironic that a lot of the Tomb Raider fans claim this is better than UC when it does everything to try and copy that series.  

I'm not deliberately trying to crap on Tomb Raider but its an example of a much bigger problem in our medium at the moment.  

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

biggest_loser

I'm not against change. I'm against games losing their uniqueness and idiosyncrasies. Transforming Tomb Raider from a game about exploration into a standard action shooting game isn't real change. Its just settling for whats common and standard. 

Its not even rebooting. They're just thinking about what will sell. Rebooting would preserve the best elements and improve them. 

I find it ironic that a lot of the Tomb Raider fans claim this is better than UC when it does everything to try and copy that series.  

I'm not deliberately trying to crap on Tomb Raider but its an example of a much bigger problem in our medium at the moment.  

I agree that it's a problem in our industry and Tomb Raider is one of many examples of this problem. I always wonder why developers even choose to go down this path - to directly copy elements from WoW, CoD, Uncharted, Gears of War, etc. and stick'em where they don't belong. It's especially weird when they stick these elements in already-existing franchises and have their original elements toned down to compensate. Seldom has copying another game's success worked...yet they don't seem to stop trying.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#32 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

biggest_loser

Taken on its own merits outside of the context of the series history (this is how I played the game initially not having any experience with previous TR games) it does some things very well. The story is inconsistent but provides sufficient context for the gameplay, and ultimately given that gameplay is the primary medium through which a game's strenghts are (or at least should be) measured the weaknesses in character growth and narrative consistency can largely be overlooked. 

Its like a low budget movie that has good dialogue and a solid story but low quality effects (lets use Moon as en example) - the most important aspects of a quality film are present, so the shortcomings can largely be overlooked. 

Uncharted gets the dialogue and character development right but falters when it comes to the actual mechanics. They are merely functional. That is like a big budget hollywood film with excellent cinematography and effects but mediocre dialogue and character development (like Avatar for instance). 

I agree the sacrafice of the series staples is a shame, but as a GAME it surpasses Uncharted in many ways thanks to the more refined combat and platforming. 

In Uncharted I was impatient with the often tedious gameplay sections waiting for the cutscenes and story bits, in Tomb Raider I was impatient with the story bits and looked forward to the gameplay sections. Neither are perfect but I think the latter is a better situation for a game to be in. 

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
I know that I really enjoyed the game and had a great time playing it (except the parts where you drift down some water with full speed and you have to steer around obstacles you can hardly see). A few weeks later I can't remember anything about the story or the characters though and I completely forgot how it ended.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I thought it was great. One of my favourite games of the year so far.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

The game was alright, looked gorgeous of course, nice art direction. Lara's story arc was beyond moronic though, one moment shes crying her eyes out because she had to kill someone then 10 minutes later shes doing gruesome execution moves on enemies with reckless abandon,  its a very unrealistic character story arc.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

As far as I'm concerned if a single player game keeps me playing till the end, then it's a good game. I finished Tomb Raider :)

derrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#37 derrange
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts

Tomb Raider is the best action adventure title, and last game was pretty damn solid, i had a lot of fun playing it, one of the best games of the year indeed.

I don't know what to say about Uncharted, i'm playing first one now, and have 2 and 3 also. It's good, but.. Tomb Raider is kinda a father to a genre.

danxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 danxxx
Member since 2005 • 687 Posts
it was definitely better than i expected, really fun game, first tomb raider game i beat not much of a fan of the saga tbh.
stayinthelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 stayinthelight
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
New TR is good game.... but the story is a crap compared to Bioshock Infinite :D
ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts

I really enjoyed it except for how piss easy were the "tombs" and it is indeed better than the uncharted games but nowhere in the game I felt like I was playing Tomb Raider.

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

II-Siamak-II

If you are going to make a completely different game from the previous why call it tomb raider? Why not make a new IP?

ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
New TR is good game.... but the story is a crap compared to Bioshock Infinite :Dstayinthelight
But Bioshock Infinite's story is not really good.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="stayinthelight"]New TR is good game.... but the story is a crap compared to Bioshock Infinite :Dampiva
But Bioshock Infinite's story is not really good.

Lies.  BioShock Infinite's story is good, and at the very least unique and ambitious.  Tomb Raider is just cookie cutter and doesn't even handle its material all that well.