Just beat Hitman Absolution...*improved no spoilers edition!*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

Meh. 6.5/10

I somewhat agree with PC gamer with Absolution. The checkpoint system is brutal, as checkpoints are seemingly random throughout each level.

Choices in what to do are limited to a specific way the game WANTS you to do. For example, you can choose to do several things in one area...but you're moving in a linear path to the same exit. Also, each level is broken up into small segments with small cinematic loading parts to break them up. Once you progress forward, you can't go back where you came from.

The lack of customizing which weapons you can use at the start of each level is disheartening too, as the story forces your character to use certain weapons during certain missions. The AI detection is VERY sensitive, and at times I felt it was too much.

The biggest flaw to me is the linear design built around the story. They went for less of a random collection of levels (as in BM), and more of a progression. This hinders the level design, because have 47 move from country to country wouldn't have worked for the storyline to make sense. Thus, there are only a handful of missions that feel radically different from one another. For the most part, you're forced through several "segments" of one level.

And lastly, the kills...and cinematics...Why. For the love of God, WHY IO? There are so many times where the game commandeers control from you, where you're forced to watch a cinematic of 47 killing the target. Why would you take some KEY MOMENTS IN THE GAME, and not allow the player to control the character.

The audio design is absolutely mind blowing, and the graphics are some of the best I've seen in a videogame. But for me, the gameplay did NOT live up to the Hitman name. They went and meddled with the gameplay too much. Personally, I would have been happy enough if they had made a variety of radically different environments, and used many of the aspects that made Blood Money so great (his briefcase, custom weapon loadouts, the ability to have a certain no# of saves...etc).

Edit: I figured because of how recent the game came out, I wouldn't get many people with spoilers. I edited them out :)

Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

Are you saying that Hitman Absolution only has a checkpoint system? If I remember correctly, previous games in the series allowed you a limited number

of in-mission "quick saves".

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chrisrooR

Are you saying that Hitman Absolution only has a checkpoint system? If I remember correctly, previous games in the series allowed you a limited number

of in-mission "quick saves".

Ricardo41
Yes, that's what I'm saying.
Same_Jeans_On

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Same_Jeans_On
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
I'm about half way through and I feel they've ruined the game with the new way disguises work its just irritating have to hold ctrl to hide and ridiculous as all you do is put your hand over your face. Stupid mechanic is stupid.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10451 Posts

very disappointing to read. why do developers think removing choices, control and making things ultra linear is a good thing? the reasons the previous games did well was because of those things not in spite of them.

we don't want an interactive movie we want a game. or do they design them like that because they think we has no brayn sells?

glad i held off a purchase

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#6 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Not to sound like a troll (seriously) but I blame the console nation. Ever since consoles and PC's started sharing ports it has gotten worse and worse, the dumbing down with this linear disney type rail ride crap and death by cut scenes. I have no doubt where we on this forum are complaing about it they are loving it over on the console forums. Thank God we still have some PC exclusives to save this platform from becoming completely mediocre.

giovannimcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 giovannimcc
Member since 2011 • 132 Posts

Someone make a level maker for blood money similiar but more advanced than the one tenchu had.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#8 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I'm struggling through it myself. There are quite a few things I dislike but you highlight many of them. Again it seems like 2/3rds of the game is "evade the cops" which are small transition levels between the real hits. It's designed to keep the story clustered but do we need it clustered? Call of Duty does a fine job with story and jumping around the globe. I could think of a few other ways this story could be better while creating an array of hits across the globe. The save system is a flawed one, few times the checkpoint system brings me in between a dozen cops. I'm still trying to get used to the new disguise system which is annoying. They tried to make it feel like stealth by turning your back on people or burning instinct. I enter an area and I'm just looking at the yellow arrows ready to press instinct in case some cop sees my ear from 50 yards. They haven't found the happy medium with disguises imo. Also dislike how you lose points for just about everything.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Haven't played Absolution yet but aren't all Hitman games somewhat linear? You enter a level, you have to kill a target using one of various methods, and then you exit through another checkpoint. It's always been like that I think?
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

5hitman hurr

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
I'm enjoying it, but I know what you mean. It doesn't feel like there as many options for progressing through the level and there's too much hand holding.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Haven't played Absolution yet but aren't all Hitman games somewhat linear? You enter a level, you have to kill a target using one of various methods, and then you exit through another checkpoint. It's always been like that I think?

Most of the time in the previous hitman games the levels are like a sandbox. You just have a target and objective, how its completed is entirely up to you. By the sound of things (not having played it myself yet), this new hitman game appears to be even more linear than that.
jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

Hitman Conviction. Been saying it for a year now. Flopped hard.

Lyncaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lyncaster
Member since 2011 • 228 Posts

Hitman Conviction. Being say it for a year now. Flopped hard.

jakes456
Why is that a bad thing? I mean yea, it does betray the original somewhat, but that just makes it more accessible for everyone. i still have fun with that(: PS I only paid $30 for it, so I am not that disappointed?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="jakes456"]

Lyncaster
Why is that a bad thing? I mean yea, it does betray the original somewhat, but that just makes it more accessible for everyone. i still have fun with that(: PS I only paid $30 for it, so I am not that disappointed?

Don't listen to Jackes' Post, no one else does.
Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
Well, that's disappointing... :| Especially the save system..
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#17 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I tried to be kind to this game for a long stretch, I really did. But then I caused a "stove accident", killed someone, and his buddies continue to watch TV on the other side of the room. If thats your idea of accessibility and fun then I don't have to buy another Hitman game ever again. Also, some of the visuals are surprisingly poor. The scrapyard level during the day is horribly washed out by the high contrast lighting.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10451 Posts

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

Lyncaster

Why is that a bad thing? I mean yea, it does betray the original somewhat, but that just makes it more accessible for everyone.

YXpO3.gif

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#19 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Besides some balance issues and a lack of a load out for the campaign missions I am enjoying it. Not perfect but I find the gameplay fun, the UI and contorls good and the art design/graphics to be nice to. Voice work is also well done, the story could be better but its a fun game.

I find the core gameplay more enjoyable then Dishonered personally as far as stealthy games go this year.

There are somethings I miss from previous games but overall its better then I had been expecting the last few years. It does not remind me of SP: Conviction though at all, this is a far more enjoyable game aswell. Far from perfect but as a long time Hitman fan I am enjoying this still, reminds me of the new xcom, sure I miss some stuff from the old games (which is also one of my fav series), its still a very fun game. Sure its missing somethings that I enjoye din previous hitman games but even with that beign said it still feels very much like a Hitman game to me.

Id say the overall review scores are spot on for this one, its about a 80% game id say.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kozzy1234

I tried to be kind to this game for a long stretch, I really did. But then I caused a "stove accident", killed someone, and his buddies continue to watch TV on the other side of the room. If thats your idea of accessibility and fun then I don't have to buy another Hitman game ever again. Also, some of the visuals are surprisingly poor. The scrapyard level during the day is horribly washed out by the high contrast lighting. biggest_loser

Sleeping Dogs, Dishonered, D3, Max Payne3 and now Hitman, was there any games you liked this year besides Mark Of The Ninja? lol :P

Wanna talk really bad games? Try RE6 and Foreign Legion Multi Massacre, good lord now those are horrid games :P

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]I tried to be kind to this game for a long stretch, I really did. But then I caused a "stove accident", killed someone, and his buddies continue to watch TV on the other side of the room. If thats your idea of accessibility and fun then I don't have to buy another Hitman game ever again. Also, some of the visuals are surprisingly poor. The scrapyard level during the day is horribly washed out by the high contrast lighting. kozzy1234

Sleeping Dogs, Dishonered, D3, Max Payne3 and now Hitman, was there any games you liked this year besides Mark Of The Ninja? lol :P

Wanna talk really bad games? Try RE6 and Foreign Legion Multi Massacre, good lord now those are horrid games :P

Operation Raccoon City. Enough said. :P lol
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#22 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Sucks about the weapon customisation.

Otherwise, it's what I expect from a Hitman game.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I've been playing it quite a bit. Optimization is horrible. SSAO seems to be the major system hog. Turn it down to Normal and you get like 20 more fps. I'm getting anywhere from 40-55fps. A lot of areas drop it down to 30fps. Poor optimization.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#24 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I just read that notorious PC Gamer review and having played a huge chuck of the game now myself, I hate to say this, but the review is extremely accurate :(
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Meh, looks like fun so will still try and get it someday.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#26 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

After reading through this thread I'm glad I picked up AC3 over this, although AC3 is not without its problems.

I'll still get this at some point, when it goes on sale at a decent discount.

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

I disagree. 10/10

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Its not a bad game per se, its just that its not really a hitman game. They used to be about large open levels and lots of freedom. I've played the first few missions and its obvious the game has been dumbed down for current gamers. On the plus side though, the game looks amazing with all the DX11 turned on. Perhaps best looking game currently? Not sure.
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Just started, still in the tutorial, and i already hate the checkpoint system, maybe i'll get used to it later. But, i noticed that after reloading a check point, enemies respawn... Is that a bug? Because if not, then wow..... :|
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kozzy1234

After reading through this thread I'm glad I picked up AC3 over this, although AC3 is not without its problems.

I'll still get this at some point, when it goes on sale at a decent discount.

with_teeth26

Im enjoying both games but so far Hitman is the better game imo

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kozzy1234

I just read that notorious PC Gamer review and having played a huge chuck of the game now myself, I hate to say this, but the review is extremely accurate :( biggest_loser

Besides the horrible review for Dragon Age2 PC Gamer gave (94%), this HItman review has to be the next worse ive seen from PC Gamer. Well actually the Farcry2 review was horrid to.

More enjoyable stealth game then Dishonered imo

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kozzy1234

I've been playing it quite a bit. Optimization is horrible. SSAO seems to be the major system hog. Turn it down to Normal and you get like 20 more fps. I'm getting anywhere from 40-55fps. A lot of areas drop it down to 30fps. Poor optimization.Elann2008

Wierd, I have yet to go below 40 fps yet. Do you have the latest nvidia beta drivers?

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chrisrooR
[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"]Just started, still in the tutorial, and i already hate the checkpoint system, maybe i'll get used to it later. But, i noticed that after reloading a check point, enemies respawn... Is that a bug? Because if not, then wow..... :|

Not a bug, apparently it's part of the game. Hopefully that gets patched out....
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 chrisrooR

I disagree. 10/10

Lost-to-Apathy
How insightful.
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts
[QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"]

I disagree. 10/10

chrisrooR
How insightful.

Thanks.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#36 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I've warmed to the game a little bit as I've gotten into it more. The second chinatown mission has been the best of the bunch so far. Still has a lot of problems
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 chrisrooR
I've warmed to the game a little bit as I've gotten into it more. The second chinatown mission has been the best of the bunch so far. Still has a lot of problems nutcrackr
Me too....however, it's the little things that bug the sh*t out of me. For example, you can't close a door once you open it. Or use the light switches to toggle the light in a room. And progression through a level feels forced. An example of this would be going into a level, finding a perfect sniping spot...only to have a sniper rifle CONVENIENTLY sitting right next to the open window with a perfect view of the target. The whole idea of scoping an area out to find sniping spots, and then preloading your weapons to include a rifle so you can take a certain approach to a target is gone. Now they've dumbed it down to a series of obvious ways to kill the target, instead of the player figuring out ways on his/her own. Want to take out the target? Great, because he's CONVENIENTLY standing next to explosives that he loops back to stand next to.. It feels less like "hey, here's a target. Go kill him any way you want to!" and more like "Here's a target, kill him these three possible ways we've designed the game to allow you to!" Like weapon loadouts in contracts mode....which you can ONLY choose a single gun to play with? This limits the DLC guns to contracts mode, which is online-only? Dafuq.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]I've warmed to the game a little bit as I've gotten into it more. The second chinatown mission has been the best of the bunch so far. Still has a lot of problems chrisrooR
Me too....however, it's the little things that bug the sh*t out of me. For example, you can't close a door once you open it. Or use the light switches to toggle the light in a room. And progression through a level feels forced. An example of this would be going into a level, finding a perfect sniping spot...only to have a sniper rifle CONVENIENTLY sitting right next to the open window with a perfect view of the target. The whole idea of scoping an area out to find sniping spots, and then preloading your weapons to include a rifle so you can take a certain approach to a target is gone. Now they've dumbed it down to a series of obvious ways to kill the target, instead of the player figuring out ways on his/her own. Want to take out the target? Great, because he's CONVENIENTLY standing next to explosives that he loops back to stand next to.. It feels less like "hey, here's a target. Go kill him any way you want to!" and more like "Here's a target, kill him these three possible ways we've designed the game to allow you to!" Like weapon loadouts in contracts mode....which you can ONLY choose a single gun to play with? This limits the DLC guns to contracts mode, which is online-only? Dafuq.

That's pretty sad. Are the initials levels like that sort of to get you going or all the levels the same?
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chrisrooR
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="nutcrackr"]I've warmed to the game a little bit as I've gotten into it more. The second chinatown mission has been the best of the bunch so far. Still has a lot of problems FelipeInside

That's pretty sad. Are the initials levels like that sort of to get you going or all the levels the same?

There are some levels that *seem* open-ended, but they don't last for very long. Before long you're running away from a police raid, ducking for cover and following a linear path toward another segment of the level. The disguise system is pretty flawed as well, so you really can't "hide in plain sight" as is advertised. Disguises are more of a momentary thing before you have to take cover behind a wall. They really cram the splinter-cell esque "stealth" elements down your throat. Toward the end of the game, I was feeling pretty disappointed overall. And then, the icing on the cake - the last hit....they actually take control completely away from you. So you never end up killing the final hit, but watching some pathetic scripted cinematic of 47 killing the target. Ridiculous. Graphically, this game is amazing. I want to say this is the nicest looking PC game I've played in a LONG TIME. Possibly up there with Crysis in terms of textures and detail. The sound production is also amazing - the ambient sounds coming from behind a bar door, only to open the door and music FILLS the room with people trying to talk loudly over it....it gives these open ended parts a very authentic feel. And then you realize that these seemingly open-ended levels aren't that open ended. There are only a couple places you can go without being immediately detected, and that in itself kills the level for me. In a giant level, you maybe have two or three different routes to take - that's it. Overall, sure, there are some good elements to the game (graphics, atmosphere and gun mechanics are all well done), but the lack of freedom, horrid storyline that's CRAMMED down your throat, and annoying police-chase levels (with no targets to take out) make this game something to look for under 20 dollars. I really wish I would have waited on this one, and I'm kicking myself for pre-purchasing it.
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 harry_james_pot  Moderator
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"] Me too....however, it's the little things that bug the sh*t out of me. For example, you can't close a door once you open it. Or use the light switches to toggle the light in a room. And progression through a level feels forced. An example of this would be going into a level, finding a perfect sniping spot...only to have a sniper rifle CONVENIENTLY sitting right next to the open window with a perfect view of the target. The whole idea of scoping an area out to find sniping spots, and then preloading your weapons to include a rifle so you can take a certain approach to a target is gone. Now they've dumbed it down to a series of obvious ways to kill the target, instead of the player figuring out ways on his/her own. Want to take out the target? Great, because he's CONVENIENTLY standing next to explosives that he loops back to stand next to.. It feels less like "hey, here's a target. Go kill him any way you want to!" and more like "Here's a target, kill him these three possible ways we've designed the game to allow you to!" Like weapon loadouts in contracts mode....which you can ONLY choose a single gun to play with? This limits the DLC guns to contracts mode, which is online-only? Dafuq.

There are some levels that *seem* open-ended, but they don't last for very long. Before long you're running away from a police raid, ducking for cover and following a linear path toward another segment of the level. The disguise system is pretty flawed as well, so you really can't "hide in plain sight" as is advertised. Disguises are more of a momentary thing before you have to take cover behind a wall. They really cram the splinter-cell esque "stealth" elements down your throat. Toward the end of the game, I was feeling pretty disappointed overall. And then, the icing on the cake - the last hit....they actually take control completely away from you. So you never end up killing the final hit, but watching some pathetic scripted cinematic of 47 killing the target. Ridiculous. Graphically, this game is amazing. I want to say this is the nicest looking PC game I've played in a LONG TIME. Possibly up there with Crysis in terms of textures and detail. The sound production is also amazing - the ambient sounds coming from behind a bar door, only to open the door and music FILLS the room with people trying to talk loudly over it....it gives these open ended parts a very authentic feel. And then you realize that these seemingly open-ended levels aren't that open ended. There are only a couple places you can go without being immediately detected, and that in itself kills the level for me. In a giant level, you maybe have two or three different routes to take - that's it. Overall, sure, there are some good elements to the game (graphics, atmosphere and gun mechanics are all well done), but the lack of freedom, horrid storyline that's CRAMMED down your throat, and annoying police-chase levels (with no targets to take out) make this game something to look for under 20 dollars. I really wish I would have waited on this one, and I'm kicking myself for pre-purchasing it.

I completely agree with you. I already had low expectations for the game, and i still ended up disappointed. Disguises are useless, and the checkpoint system is killing the game.