Is Windows 7 as slow as Vista?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ObeseBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ObeseBanana
Member since 2010 • 137 Posts
Building a gaming setup. Gamespot made me realize that I may only be able to use 4gigs instead of the 6 I've ordered thanks to my motherboard :P We'll see how that goes. Other than that, the Phenom 2 965 (3.4ghz, quad core) and an XFX HD 5870 have been ordered :). Will I be considerably slowed down by Windows 7 like vista did?
ObeseBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ObeseBanana
Also I'm getting the 64-bit if that makes a difference.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

With your rig Vista should have moved like **** off a shovel! Anyway, Windows 7 = Vista slightly faster edition, so yeah its a bit faster in general use. Also Win7 uses a little less RAM.

ObeseBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ObeseBanana

With your rig Vista should have moved like **** off a shovel! Anyway, Windows 7 = Vista slightly faster edition, so yeah its a bit faster in general use. Also Win7 uses a little less RAM.

Daytona_178
Cool! Thank you.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

From my experience, Windows 7 with all eye candy on = Vista with most eye candy off, perhaps a bit quicker. A slow hard drive would still impact Win 7 much like it did Vista. Gamingwise, I didn't see too big of an improvement between Vista and Win 7. Both have a bigger overhead compared to XP. But, I absolutely pefer Win 7 over XP.

Nills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Nills
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

Actually, I did a clean install of windows 7 64bit last night. I have 4 gb of RAM and used to have vista 32 bit, but the point is I've noticed a significant performance increase. It is faster.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Actually, I did a clean install of windows 7 64bit last night. I have 4 gb of RAM and used to have vista 32 bit, but the point is I've noticed a significant performance increase. It is faster.

Nills
And how much junk did you have running in the background of Vista? I am sure if you did a fresh install of Vista SP1 you would be pleasantly surprised with how fast it is.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I owned XP, Vista 32 and 64...

XP > Vista

I'm running Windows 7 64 and I can say...

7 > XP > Vista

Much faster then vista and more sercure then XP. Best of both worlds.

P.S.

Just think of it this way. 7 gives you DX 11 and if you ever get around to getting a SSD it has trim support. Alot of good stuff for gamers.

ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ch5richards
Member since 2005 • 2912 Posts

I owned XP, Vista 32 and 64...

XP > Vista

I'm running Windows 7 64 and I can say...

7 > XP > Vista

Much faster then vista and more sercure then XP. Best of both worlds.

Truth_Hurts_U
To each their own, but IMHO Vista is way better than XP. While 7 has some nice features, I still prefer Vista to it. It is mainly a preference thing as there is nothing wrong with 7. I just have become accustomed to the sidebar, and making folders into toolbars on the desktop.
masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
People with gaming rig should never complain about how vista or 7 is slow... it just doesn't make any sense.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

People with gaming rig should never complain about how vista or 7 is slow... it just doesn't make any sense.masterdrat

I agree. Gaming rigs have enough oomph to run either Win 7 or Vista quite snappily.

Me? I only grumble because the 4200rpm SATA hard drive of my laptop makes Vista a bit slow. I tried the Win 7 RC. Same thing. That's why I feel a fast (7200rpm) hard drive is a requirement for both Win 7 and Vista.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

[QUOTE="Nills"]

Daytona_178

And how much junk did you have running in the background of Vista? I am sure if you did a fresh install of Vista SP1 you would be pleasantly surprised with how fast it is.

yeah, cause I have very little running processes like 38-40 running processes, (including nod32, and whatever game I may be playing) on vista 64bit and it isnt really slow at all honestly. About as fast as any other OS, if you understand what processes and services to have on and which to have off.

P.S. for gaming, there is little to no difference in windows 7 and windows vista.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

The worst thing you would notive about Windows 7 is it's blocky, simple theme -- other than that, it's the gaming OS (64 bit, that is).

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

I installed win7 on a 7 year laptop it actually worked, of course it worked considerably slower then xp but it was decent, compability mode for drivers and everything worked like a charm, only 1 thing was wrong winplayer 12 played 720p videos blocky, I installed winamp and everything ran smoothly. Of couurse no aero and all the eye candy was turned of, though I could have turned it on by force.

SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts
Both Vista and 7 are great. Vista got a bad rap because people where trying to place a newer OS on older hardware. In other words Dell was selling crap with Vista installed. Its like having a Win 95 Machine and expecting XP to run perfectly. It will run, just not as well as Win95.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

With a gaming rig, you won't notice the differece.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts

[QUOTE="masterdrat"]People with gaming rig should never complain about how vista or 7 is slow... it just doesn't make any sense.jun_aka_pekto

I agree. Gaming rigs have enough oomph to run either Win 7 or Vista quite snappily.

Me? I only grumble because the 4200rpm SATA hard drive of my laptop makes Vista a bit slow. I tried the Win 7 RC. Same thing. That's why I feel a fast (7200rpm) hard drive is a requirement for both Win 7 and Vista.

Agreed.
ScrapersPTs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ScrapersPTs
Member since 2009 • 74 Posts

No, it's not. I'd say 7 is the new XP.
Just get 64-bit version of the OS.

GeForce2187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GeForce2187
Member since 2006 • 2963 Posts
We tested Windows Vista load time vs. Windows 7 load time on the same computer (Asus P5QL/EPU, Core 2 E6300, 2GB DDR2, 320GB WD HDD, Geforce 8400) and Windows 7 loaded about 15 seconds faster than Vista did. So that goes to show how much faster 7 is compared to Vista.
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
We tested Windows Vista load time vs. Windows 7 load time on the same computer (Asus P5QL/EPU, Core 2 E6300, 2GB DDR2, 320GB WD HDD, Geforce 8400) and Windows 7 loaded about 15 seconds faster than Vista did. So that goes to show how much faster 7 is compared to Vista.GeForce2187
Boot time doesn't mean a whole lot. Especially since Windows 7 has fewer services running which increases boot time. Many of which are optional and can be disabled on Vista.
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

Both Vista and 7 are great. Vista got a bad rap because people where trying to place a newer OS on older hardware. In other words Dell was selling crap with Vista installed. Its like having a Win 95 Machine and expecting XP to run perfectly. It will run, just not as well as Win95.SinfulPotato

Vista got a bad rap because MS pushed it out the door too soon.

MS told people that if they had XP, they could "upgrade" to Vista. This caused lots of problems; previous files didn't work right, programs didn't work right and many other things. Also, the lack of driver support for Vista caused many, many headaches. This is what gave Vista a bad rap.

Once drivers caught up and MS got out SP1, Vista ran much better and most products out there worked just fine with Vista.

What a lot of people might not know is that Vista works best with 2GB of RAM or more. The more you have, the better it runs/the more it can do. So you're right that people were looking at the requirements and it says 512MB is required to run Vista.....well, 512MB on Vista is like putting a motor from a Geo Metro into a Porsche and expecting it to perform like any other Porsche made.

Since all the patching MS has done, Vista runs just fine. However, to correct their failure with the initial Vista launch, MS worked on saving face by releasing a new OS (Win 7) that works just as well (if not better) as Vista. Plus the addition of a new look (big whoop, if you ask me) to help make people think they've done great things in their new Win 7 OS - when Vista works just about as well.

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts

[QUOTE="SinfulPotato"]Both Vista and 7 are great. Vista got a bad rap because people where trying to place a newer OS on older hardware. In other words Dell was selling crap with Vista installed. Its like having a Win 95 Machine and expecting XP to run perfectly. It will run, just not as well as Win95.neatfeatguy

Vista got a bad rap because MS pushed it out the door too soon.

MS told people that if they had XP, they could "upgrade" to Vista. This caused lots of problems; previous files didn't work right, programs didn't work right and many other things. Also, the lack of driver support for Vista caused many, many headaches. This is what gave Vista a bad rap.

Once drivers caught up and MS got out SP1, Vista ran much better and most products out there worked just fine with Vista.

What a lot of people might not know is that Vista works best with 2GB of RAM or more. The more you have, the better it runs/the more it can do. So you're right that people were looking at the requirements and it says 512MB is required to run Vista.....well, 512MB on Vista is like putting a motor from a Geo Metro into a Porsche and expecting it to perform like any other Porsche made.

Since all the patching MS has done, Vista runs just fine. However, to correct their failure with the initial Vista launch, MS worked on saving face by releasing a new OS (Win 7) that works just as well (if not better) as Vista. Plus the addition of a new look (big whoop, if you ask me) to help make people think they've done great things in their new Win 7 OS - when Vista works just about as well.

Actually, here what happened, mostly NVidia's fault: http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2008/03/vista-capable-lawsuit-paints-picture-of-buggy-nvidia-drivers.ars
desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 desertpython
Member since 2006 • 1277 Posts
Why can't you use 6GB of RAM? It's better to be dual-channel , but you can use it. You are not going for 32-bit 7 are you? That is pointless.
zxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 zxl
Member since 2004 • 138 Posts
Is Windows 7 as slow as Vista? No. Go for W7 64-bit Pro/Ultimate. Works like a wheel.
brownwhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 brownwhale
Member since 2007 • 717 Posts
Not much difference. Actually I feel like vista uses less processes after you update it, and even less ram. I would prefer vista but to each his own. Of course many people's bad experience with OS's comes from background junkware and no defrags or even registry clean ups.
desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 desertpython
Member since 2006 • 1277 Posts
Registry cleanups do nothing in terms of performance. Cleaning out dead program links, yes. Defrags can help loading times.
amirzaim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 amirzaim
Member since 2007 • 1720 Posts
Windows vista is is ultimately slow os compared to win 7. Putting win vista on 1GB ram pc is much worser. That's why most netbooks manufactures decided to put win 7 instead of heavy os vista.