Is this monitor I'm buying any good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I recently purchased an ASUS PB238Q. However, I wasn't having a good time with it at all, so I returned it. I decided to up my budget a bit more and have decided on this monitor

ASUS MX279H

Is this a good monitor buy for me? If you have any other recomendations, please say them. Keep in mind that I have mid range hardware specs, so I'm not looking for a 120hz monitor. I also do all my gaming on my monitor, including consoles. I need a monitor that is 1920x1080 and has 2 HDMI ports or 1 DVI and 1 HDMI.

MillCityMadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MillCityMadman
Member since 2012 • 26 Posts

It seems alright, but I'm turned off from the lack of VESA, and no DVI input, VGA only.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

list from you can choose a great monitor.

Throwing money on an IPS screen which not meant for graphic designer/editor is not a smart move unless you're fine with throwing money.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

1080p at 27in is eh.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

1080p at 27in is eh.

1080p was fine few years ago on 60' TVs so 27' couldn't be any worse :P

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#7  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

looks ok. I still can't believe a 300 dollar monitor doesn't have vesa months. Every monitor i've bought in the last 5 years has had it, even really cheap ones. Not a big deal if you never plan on mounting it, but for me i wouldn't be able to use it, i need it to be mounted so i can adjust it to the perfect level, and to push it out of the way when i don't need it infront of me.

I've never bought an asus monitor cause i've heard some bad things about different models, but take a leap of faith i guess.

its brightness is listed as 250 cd/m2, which is the same as my LG 1080p monitor which i think is a fine amount of brightness. But they do make brighter ones over 300 if you look for it. It all depends on how far the settings let you put it up, luckily on mine i was able to really exceed its default brightness and it looks great now. something to keep in mind.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

list from you can choose a great monitor.

Throwing money on an IPS screen which not meant for graphic designer/editor is not a smart move unless you're fine with throwing money.

IPS is a smart move if you like good picture quality, because its advantages aren't limited to accurate color reproduction. Hell, I think if you're not buying an IPS monitor, you're "throwing money". If you're going to play all your games on a screen, might as well get one that actually has good picture quality...

Or in my case, I like to play games and movies and have people watch. Unless you have an IPS screen, its likely your screen won't have enough of a viewing angle to accomodate anyone except the person sitting directly in front of the monitor.

(Note: not all IPS has superior picture quality, but some IPS panels simply dominate IQ and viewing angle, making it a night and day difference between a good IPS and good TFT panel. Can't recommend non-IPS panels in good faith until I see a TFT monitor that kills all, but I've yet to see one).

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

@KHAndAnime: How's IPS for gaming?

I'm stuck between either a 4k TN panel or a 2560x1440 IPS panel. I've never had an IPS panel so can't really compare. I know their response time and input lag are worse than TN, but is it noticeable?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@Postmortem123 said:

I'm stuck between either a 4k TN panel or a 2560x1440 IPS panel. I've never had an IPS panel so can't really compare. I know their response time and input lag are worse than TN, but is it noticeable?

Depends who you ask. I'd consider the input lag difference from my vg248qe 144hz panel to my 120hz vg236he(at 120hz) fairly noticeable. Playing at 95hz on my laptop's screen feels like my mouse input is heavily delayed.

Playing on a normal 60hz tn panel feels like my mouse is stuck in glue.

Doing human benchmark on my vg236he at 74hz as my secondary monitor, is ~15ms slower than my vg248qe at 144hz.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@Postmortem123 said:

Depends who you ask. I'd consider the input lag difference from my vg248qe 144hz panel to my 120hz vg236he fairly noticeable. Playing at 95hz on my laptop's screen feels like my mouse input is heavily delayed.

I currently have the BenQ XL2420T 120Hz, though I barely play multiplayer shooters anymore so it feels like a waste.

That's what worries me D;< I don't want to spend £500 and end up taking a step backwards.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JigglyWiggly_

@Postmortem123 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@Postmortem123 said:

Depends who you ask. I'd consider the input lag difference from my vg248qe 144hz panel to my 120hz vg236he fairly noticeable. Playing at 95hz on my laptop's screen feels like my mouse input is heavily delayed.

I currently have the BenQ XL2420T 120Hz, though I barely play multiplayer shooters anymore so it feels like a waste.

That's what worries me D;< I don't want to spend £500 and end up taking a step backwards.

I don't play much either anymore but you can tell on the desktop just moving stuff around if you've used them after a while.

Since you're already used to 120hz, you should probably just get the asus pg278q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Yeah if I set my refresh rate to 60Hz I can tell the difference just in the desktop. Guess it would be even worse in games.

Monitors are so hard mang.

I'll have a look at the ASUS, though it will probably be overpriced here.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

To the TC I'd get this if I wanted a 60hz ips display

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2312HM-IPS-Monitor/dp/B005LN1JEC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402685634&sr=8-2&keywords=dell+ips

It has .5ms of input lag from the monitor. You still have the 60hz ~16ms of input lag, but that's the best you're going to get at 60hz.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2312hm.htm

It does not have a hdmi port, but you can use the vga cable for your consoles. I've played xbox 360/ps3 on vga and they look pretty much identical to hdmi. It's not really a compromise since almost every console game is 720p.

That monitor you linked originally looks horrible.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@Postmortem123 said:

Depends who you ask. I'd consider the input lag difference from my vg248qe 144hz panel to my 120hz vg236he(at 120hz) fairly noticeable. Playing at 95hz on my laptop's screen feels like my mouse input is heavily delayed.

Doing human benchmark on my vg236he at 74hz as my secondary monitor, is ~15ms slower than my vg248qe at 144hz.

Yes going to 60hz after 144hz almost gives me motion sickness. A good test is simply walking down a hallway in Doom 3 BFG (I think the engine locks it to 120hz refresh not 144hz), At 144hz it's fine, very fluid, but at 60hz it's incredibly choppy in comparison. Kinda the thing you have to see to believe, but it's a big difference like Jiggly is saying.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Postmortem123 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@Postmortem123 said:

You won't see the true benefits of 120Hz unless you intend to play every game as 120 FPS, which isn't easy to do for 99.9% of gaming systems there. JigglyWiggly's answer is misleading, because it doesn't lead to a comprehensive understanding of input lag. Not all 60Hz TN panels are the same in input response time, not all IPS panels are slower than 120hz TN, and so on. The reality is that it's really not that simple.

A Dell Ultrasharp 60Hz monitor is more responsive than many 120Hz monitors. There are charts out there that confirm this, feel free do some research on monitors and their response times. At under 10m/s (most Dell Ultrasharp's), the monitor wouldn't be a significant source of any input lag. As I said - they're most responsive than the majority of non-gaming monitors, as well as more responsive than some 120Hz made-for-gaming monitors. If you want the most responsive monitors, you'll want 120Hz. Don't get the idea you need one to play multiplayer FPS games, because you've fallen right into their marketing gimmick - don't follow marketing gimmicks. 120Hz monitors are for a very small niche of people - if you aren't always playing the handful of multiplayer FPS games where you're counting on mere milliseconds to make a difference in your gameplay, then 120hz monitors aren't for you.

If you appreciate a monitor with a wide viewing angle, typically accurate colors, and over all strong IQ, then IPS is what you're looking for.