Is there any way to deactivate achievements in Steam games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

My brother bought the humble bundle like 2 weeks ago and he still hasn't downloaded any game. the reason? He doesn't want me to "steal his achievements" he knows I'll play and beat every game first in a very short amount of time and the guy wants to unlock all the achievements by himself. I dont even care about achievements, never try to get them, I just get the ones that are obtained automatically with progress, but still he doesn't want me to get any.

So I was wondering is there any way to disable them in steam? so that when I play I wont unlock anything?

Seriously there are like 10 games in my list which I havent been able to touch because of that.

And no, waiting for him to beat the games is not an option, that could literally take over 8 months, he rarely plays anything asside BF3. The guy bought metro 2033 and batman AA like the last year and he still hasn't even beaten the 1st level of metro or played batman for more than half an hour.

Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts
On your account? Why doesn't he have his own?
True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

That's the downside of not having a Steam account all to yourself, unfortunately. You can buy a non BTA hib for $1, you could always buy that for your brother and start him off with his own Steam account.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
You have two ways: 1) Stay offline. 2) Earn achievements, then disable/reset those that you got with the Steam achievement manager.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
He actually cares about 'achievements'....?
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lightleggy
On your account? Why doesn't he have his own?Artekus
Because its our PC, we bought it, its only one PC, why should we need to buy the games twice if they are only being used by us on this PC?
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lightleggy
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]You have two ways: 1) Stay offline. 2) Earn achievements, then disable/reset those that you got with the Steam achievement manager.

Thats actually the best solution, I for one, dont care about achievements, just want to play the games.
kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

[QUOTE="Artekus"]On your account? Why doesn't he have his own?lightleggy
Because its our PC, we bought it, its only one PC, why should we need to buy the games twice if they are only being used by us on this PC?

Still, that doesn't exclude the fact that you could have one account each. Your brother might like some games you don't like so then he can have them on his account en vise versa. Just because you use two accounts on one pc doesn't mean that you need to own the same games as the other account to log in and play. Sure, that won't solve your current problem but when you two guys move out who's gonna get all the games or are you gonna call your brother every time you want to play a game for the rest of your life?

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts
You aren't allowed to share account to my knowledge, so the answer should be pretty self-explanatory.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="Artekus"]On your account? Why doesn't he have his own?kriggy

Still, that doesn't exclude the fact that you could have one account each. Your brother might like some games you don't like so then he can have them on his account en vise versa. Just because you use two accounts on one pc doesn't mean that you need to own the same games as the other account to log in and play. Sure, that won't solve your current problem but when you two guys move out who's gonna get all the games or are you gonna call your brother every time you want to play a game for the rest of your life?

That makes no sense at all...why would we be buying different games? or saying "I dont want to play this game, you do". We help each other financially for buying the games, and "when you move out" well first of all we are not from the US, the culture is different here, you dont move out unless you are already getting married or you are like 26 years old and no longer want to bother your parents. And when I do move out, trust me steam will be the least of my preoccupations... also why would I want to play those games forever and ever? instead of just buying new ones?...
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
You aren't allowed to share account to my knowledge, so the answer should be pretty self-explanatory.kaealy
They are sharing a single computer. That's not the same thing as giving somebody your login information to play your games at some other location.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
He actually cares about 'achievements'....?C_Rule
a lot of people care about achievements.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lightleggy
You aren't allowed to share account to my knowledge, so the answer should be pretty self-explanatory.kaealy
You are if its the same computer, you aren't allowed to do it if you give your login to someone so that they can download your games and play them on their PC, but if its the same its allowed. Hell, steam doesn't even remembers different accounts for each user, if Steam is installed by some user, and you try to open it with another user, it will log you in with the 1st user credentials automatically, and it wont even remember more credentials.