Is Nvidia SHEILD worth purchasing now?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 0

#1 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

With the price drop ($199), and now that the new update enabled the ability to stream Steam games from your PC from any location with wifi (much like the vita), is it worth getting one?

I must admit, I work overnight (12Hours a night) as a network analyst, and there's a lot of downtime, so I play my vita sometimes to stay awake lol. But the streaming quality is laggy from the PS4 & vita; I still have not figured out why. My connection is usually 60mbps/13mbs Up.

I would mostly use the Nvidia Shield to stream PC games. But i'm skeptical of the quality since the vita's streaming capability was so disappointing.

Just wondering if you guys think itll be worth a good purchase.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@remiks00 said:

With the price drop ($199), and now that the new update enabled the ability to stream Steam games from your PC from any location with wifi (much like the vita), is it worth getting one?

I must admit, I work overnight (12Hours a night) as a network analyst, and there's a lot of downtime, so I play my vita sometimes to stay awake lol. But the streaming quality is laggy from the PS4 & vita; I still have not figured out why. My connection is usually 60mbps/13mbs Up.

I would mostly use the Nvidia Shield to stream PC games. But i'm skeptical of the quality since the vita's streaming capability was so disappointing.

The streaming quality has nothing to do with how fast your internet is, it's to do with your local network speed.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3  Edited By The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

I bought one recently. It's great for classic games. Streaming is another good thing too. Haven't been able to get remote gamestream to work, though, for me.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

I have one as well and it's a fantastic little device. I mostly stream dishonored and Borderlands 2 on it. I also play a few android games as well. I've managed to get gamestream to work as well and it's pretty neat little feature. $199 is a really good price for it. Just be sure you have a modern modem that can support streaming or else it'll be laggy. Nvidia provides a list of routers that will work with the Shield, any of them would do nicely.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By remiks00

@FelipeInside said:

@remiks00 said:

The streaming quality has nothing to do with how fast your internet is, it's to do with your local network speed.

Yeah, I'm using a wired connection to the router ---> PS4 , so the maximum connection is 1GB (well actually 1000mb :P ), which is pretty standard. Unless you mean something else. Still laggy stream to the the vita...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside

@remiks00 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@remiks00 said:

Yeah, I'm using a wired connection to the router ---> PS4 , so the maximum connection is 1GB (well actually 1000mb :P ), which is pretty standard. Unless you mean something else. Still laggy stream to the the vita...

The PS4 is streaming wirelessly to the Vita, so it all depends on the speed/quality of your wireless network..... not the wired or internet speed.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 remiks00

@FelipeInside said:

@remiks00 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@remiks00 said:

The PS4 is streaming wirelessly to the Vita, so it all depends on the speed/quality of your wireless network..... not the wired or internet speed.

Well, I guess it's still inconclusive, because I'm using a dual band higher end netgear router. And it's still crap. Hell, even splashtop is laggy as hell. I can't for the life of me figure out the problem.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside

@remiks00 said:

@FelipeInside said:

Well, I guess it's still inconclusive, because I'm using a dual band higher end netgear router. And it's still crap. Hell, even splashtop is laggy as hell. I can't for the life of me figure out the problem.

- Is it just the PS4 to Vita streaming which is laggy? or is also other wireless devices? (like YouTube streaming onto a laptop etc)?

- Is the PS4 and Vita updated to latest firmware?

- How far away is the wireless router from where you're using the Vita? have you tried standing infront of the router?

I've heard that the PS4 to Vita Streaming does have a bit of lag originally, it's a new technology so it might not work 100% yet.