is D&D gaming dead

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-61d91d42c39df
deactivated-61d91d42c39df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-61d91d42c39df
Member since 2002 • 2741 Posts

the last half-decent D&D game we got was neverwinter nights 2, and that was in 2006.

daggerdale was a terrible action game

will we ever see the quality of baldurs gate/icewind dale type D&D rpg's again.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

probably not any time soon. The developers would rather target masses than niche audiences

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

the last half-decent D&D game we got was neverwinter nights 2, and that was in 2006.

daggerdale was a terrible action game

Deano
The D&D mmo isn't too shabby. I kind of like it a lot actually.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
Well there's always the tabletop game. ;) 5.0 is being rumored! :o The last great D&D RPG in my eyes was the original Neverwinter Nights. Timeless classic.
robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

Right now D&D gaming is pretty deadish. But there are stuff to do nevertheless, like playing the Temple of Elemental Evil mod Circle of Eight.

Link: http://www.moddb.com/mods/circle-of-eight-modpack

Lamb_Jalfrezi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Lamb_Jalfrezi
Member since 2002 • 178 Posts
Move away from the PC and sit down with some friends for some old-school pen and paper D&D action.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Too complex for today's generation of gamers.
spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts
Too complex for today's generation of gamers. Elann2008
More like too slow. I honestly can understand that gamers that have been playing The Witcher & Dragon Age and count those as the "prime" RPGs would find Neverwinter Nights extremely slow and drawn out. Because that's pretty much what it is in the beginning when you only have the starting feats and a dagger/ray spell :P But you don't really have to understand the rolling and stat system to play it, although it helps when deciding if an item is an upgrade or not etc. A new proper NWN game would make me so happy and excited, but I don't think it's going to happen :( On the other hand, NWN2 did quite well despite being a technical mess at launch.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Too complex for today's generation of gamers. spittis
More like too slow. I honestly can understand that gamers that have been playing The Witcher & Dragon Age and count those as the "prime" RPGs would find Neverwinter Nights extremely slow and drawn out. Because that's pretty much what it is in the beginning when you only have the starting feats and a dagger/ray spell :P But you don't really have to understand the rolling and stat system to play it, although it helps when deciding if an item is an upgrade or not etc. A new proper NWN game would make me so happy and excited, but I don't think it's going to happen :( On the other hand, NWN2 did quite well despite being a technical mess at launch.

"I can only cast a spell once per day?" *throws keyboard out the window* lol :P just sayin
robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Too complex for today's generation of gamers. spittis

I agree, i think most "new" RPG fans would consider those games too slow, and for that reason the big companies won't put money in trying to make a game like Planescape Torment (despite the fact that it is still considered one of the best game ever made, likewise with BG and Fallout). It's just to risky and has small chances of success, especially when people (me for one) are gonna compare them to the great classics.

It's sad really, but you find the same trend in other media like film and books. Faster and easier is the name of the game. Luckily the smaller indie devs and modders still dare to make games with slower paste an a more complex skill system and\or story. So no need to be bitter....yet :)

Everything old gets its renaissance, just look at the adventure genre. So maybe...Baldurs Gate 3? :)

Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jabby250
Member since 2011 • 524 Posts

Well, there's the new DnD Online expansion pack and F2P MMO, Neverwinter, but I suppose that's not what you had in mind.

Yes, it's a bit of a shame since Dungeons & Dragons has a lot of interesting settings and good lore. If the game rules translated into video game format are too slow, can't they just modify them? I think KotOR was based on a modified version of DnD.

edit: the DnD MMO also doesn't follow the tabletop rules too strictly.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

Good story telling and a deep storyline doesn't sell anymore. We will probably never see anything like Mask of the Betrayer(best RPG experince for me) again.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Story telling is pretty much all that get's made anymore...what's not being made (at least as much by the big boys) is deep and complicated systems, turn based combat, and a focus on interactive/atmospheric worlds. Instead most RPG's that come out are basically interactive story-time and relationship managers.

The first D&D based games I played (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Eye of the Beholder, Dark Queen of Krynn, ect) didn't have such heavy handed focus on story telling. Honestly I would give anything for a new Temple of Elemental Evil or something similar. Yes, all those games have story but it wasn't so heavy handed and it was more about exploring a world with a party of your choosing, and making your own way through it.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Well there's always the tabletop game. ;) 5.0 is being rumored! :o The last great D&D RPG in my eyes was the original Neverwinter Nights. Timeless classic.CaptainAhab13

No longer a rumor.

New D&D

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Go check out Dungeons of Dredmore and other Rougelikes (it's a genre). That's the genre for you.

They are alive and well.

Big budget games don't do that kind of gameplay because the audience is tiny. The indie game scene has picked up the slack as game development costs skyrocket while the hardcore RPG gamer market stays the same size.

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts
It's become a very niche market, if a developer made a big budget D&D game, it would likely flop because like people above me said, it's too slow paced for most gamers today, even RPG players.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Well, there's the new DnD Online expansion pack and F2P MMO, Neverwinter, but I suppose that's not what you had in mind.

Yes, it's a bit of a shame since Dungeons & Dragons has a lot of interesting settings and good lore. If the game rules translated into video game format are too slow, can't they just modify them? I think KotOR was based on a modified version of DnD.

Jabby250

Dungeons and Dragons is a role playing system.. The lore and settings are completely independent of that..

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

D&D is alive and well, just not in video games. Play the game like it was meant to be played, with some friends on a table. Or better than that, play Pathfinder :)

Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jabby250
Member since 2011 • 524 Posts

[QUOTE="Jabby250"]

sSubZerOo

Dungeons and Dragons is a role playing system.. The lore and settings are completely independent of that..

What exactly are you trying to say? The Dungeons & Dragons ruleset is primarily used in... DnD campaign settings. Not certain where you're trying to get at. Dungeons & Dragons is = multiple settings.

Can the DnD ruleset be used independently of the available settings? Certainly, though I imagine anything unathourized by the publishers would cause copyright issues.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I've never played a "true DnD" game. I feel like it's not because I purposefully avoided the, but I joined PC gaming too late. I can see how they could be fun, but I could also see how they'd be too slow. It would almost depend on if "I'm in the mood" to play a DnD game.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CaptainAhab13

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]Well there's always the tabletop game. ;) 5.0 is being rumored! :o The last great D&D RPG in my eyes was the original Neverwinter Nights. Timeless classic.Johnny_Rock

No longer a rumor.

New D&D

\o/
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CaptainAhab13

I've never played a "true DnD" game. I feel like it's not because I purposefully avoided the, but I joined PC gaming too late. I can see how they could be fun, but I could also see how they'd be too slow. It would almost depend on if "I'm in the mood" to play a DnD game.

Cwagmire21
A "true" DnD game is played on the tabletop. Why not give it a whirl? Do you like telling stories with friends with a game attached?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]Well there's always the tabletop game. ;) 5.0 is being rumored! :o The last great D&D RPG in my eyes was the original Neverwinter Nights. Timeless classic.CaptainAhab13

No longer a rumor.

New D&D

\o/

lol whut. Cool beans.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Jabby250"]

Jabby250

What exactly are you trying to say? The Dungeons & Dragons ruleset is primarily used in... DnD campaign settings. Not certain where you're trying to get at. Dungeons & Dragons is = multiple settings.

Can the DnD ruleset be used independently of the available settings? Certainly, though I imagine anything unathourized by the publishers would cause copyright issues.

DnD settings can amount to ANYTHING from scifi to onwards.. In PnP its not slaved to a single setting what so ever.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#26 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

With so many people finding games like Mass Effect and Dragons Age complicated I would say, no. At least not from any of the bigger companies.
PurpleHaze89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PurpleHaze89
Member since 2008 • 807 Posts

You could try out NwN2 and some Persistant Worlds which actually require you to Role play an D&D Character (an Vharaun Drow Priest for example). It's kinda like an MMO in the D&D Setting with the Focus primary on Role playing. There are some very good PWs out there if youre into that kind of stuff.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Right now D&D gaming is pretty deadish. But there are stuff to do nevertheless, like playing the Temple of Elemental Evil mod Circle of Eight.

Link: http://www.moddb.com/mods/circle-of-eight-modpack

robertlie

Good suggestion right here. ToEE has a great combat system for d&d, not the real time bs. Another good d&d game is Knights of the Chalice. It's a turn based indie game which uses the 3.5 rules. Very well done tactical combat and AI. There's a demo, so you can try it out too.

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/

I'm actually about to start a full runthrough of the Gold Box games, myself. You can import characters from one game to another.

There's also Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, which has some good turn based combat.

Renevent42 is right, when i grew up in the 80's, d&d was not all about 'epic storytelling' (although PST is a great game), it was more about dungeon crawling, adventuring, and kicking some ass !!

And about p&p d&d... It's not that easy to find friends to actually play with. And playing with strangers seems a little odd and less than optimal.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#29 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

I predict we'll start seeing some lower budget indie games to cater to this niche. Doubt there will be too many more mainstream games, when you can make broader adventure RPGs that will cater to the gaming market in its entirety (consoles, pcs, etc)

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
I would love a New 2012 D&D style game but, it does seem pretty dead mainly cause of the niche audience like others have said this kind of makes me want to play some old D&D style games now actually..
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

I would love a New 2012 D&D style game but, it does seem pretty dead mainly cause of the niche audience like others have said this kind of makes me want to play some old D&D style games now actually..SaintJimmmy

Haha. A 2012 version would have a kiddy WoW artstyle, romances and button mashing for gameplay. I want an 80's style turn based d&d CRPG with updated graphics and animations.