Is anyone else just a little disappointed with Fallout 4?

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

I think it's a great game, but I can't help, but be disappointed, especially with all of the hype. I figured that Bethesda was going to do what they do with all the Elder Scrolls games (they recreate each new game from the ground up) but this is almost like a rough carbon copy of Fallout 3. Sure the graphics are a bit better and the gameplay has improved, but it feels like I am playing just a rehash of Fallout 3. Same weapons, same items, same scenery, same menus, same enemies, and very similar sounds (except I really do like the music), and it takes place on the East coast, but that was already done in Fallout 3. Why not make it in Louisiana with mutated gators or something, why did we have to go back to the east coast? It just feels a little uninspired to me...

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I'm not disappointed, I knew it was going to be another Bethesda mess.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 PETERAKO
Member since 2007 • 2579 Posts

Yes. Its fallout. It should be more RPG and less FPS, but nope, all the kiddies wanted to pew pew pew. They could have gone soooo deep with RPG elements and how it could work with your NPC companions. And where is the story, the interesting characters and the choices to tackle a situation the way you want? I guess new vegas spoiled me. Also its embarasingly broken. I hoped this would change from the past, but they know at bethesda, they could rape us and we would be praising them for it. Why because its bethesda.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

It was better than I thought it would be. Anyone that is upset it doesn't have deep RPG elements has been blind for the past few fallout games(and elder scrolls games). What made you think they were suddenly going to change their ways?

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu: A little? More like a lot. I find it quite boring. Same shit as the last two. There is nothing that drives me to push on. Story is terrible. Quests are meh. Graphics are so bad that they actually hurt the gameplay and immersion. Sound effects are horrid. Sometimes it's hard to hear where enemies are even when wearing headphones. The game feels like an alpha/beta or a rush job. I'm gonna wait until there are some good mods before playing it again.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Bethesda disappointing fans? Never thought I'd see the day.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Can't say I'm disappointed as such, since it was painfully obvious what we were going to get. I am rather unhappy with Bethesda destroying the franchise, however.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Won't get it until it fixed, or fully modded!!!

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

best game bethesda has put out in a long time

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MlauTheDaft

@wis3boi said:

best game bethesda has put out in a long time

Which does'nt say much tbh... Bethesda has been getting away with sub par work and reliance on the modding community since Oblivion.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I wasn't a fan of 3 or new vegas. I liked this one but to be honest I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12806 Posts

Me, I quit after few hours, I think NV is better and I hated NV compared to F3 GOTY

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@saintsatan said:

Graphics are so bad that they actually hurt the gameplay and immersion.

lmao by this logic, games in the past never had good gameplay or immersion. That's not even mentioning that fallout 4's graphics really aren't that bad for a Bethesda game....

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

I bought the game without watching the trailer, any footage, or articles.

I'm disappointed

Avatar image for gogoplexiorayo2
Gogoplexiorayo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#15 Gogoplexiorayo2
Member since 2013 • 189 Posts

I have played the game for 10 hours. I think its modern trash. I will just stick to classics from 2007 and before and some new games like Alan Wake and Bioshock Infinite.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@Nick3306 said:
@saintsatan said:

Graphics are so bad that they actually hurt the gameplay and immersion.

lmao by this logic, games in the past never had good gameplay or immersion. That's not even mentioning that fallout 4's graphics really aren't that bad for a Bethesda game....

That's not a great comparison either. Most games looked great for their time. Fallout 4 doesn't. There's lots of jarring things like terrible textures that catch your eye and just pull you out of the experience. It's baffling that it looks so bad, it seems very rushed. Even Skyrim looks far better and that came out years ago.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts

It feels just like Fallout 3, which can be good if it had updated graphics and animation at least. As usual I'll have to mod the crap out of it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

And everyone gave me crap when I said it was the most over-rated game of the year....

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I'm not disappointed, I knew it was going to be another Bethesda mess.

Pretty much. Fallout 4 turned out to be exactly what I expected.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

My expectations were incredibly low so it's a bit difficult to be disappointed.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I think that in the end it was silly of me to think that they would do something similar to New Vegas. When I saw that they gave us a Skyrim-ish Fallout 3 I was disappointed. The game seems okay, the problem I have now is all the technical problems and little bugs it has. I think I will wait for a few more patches.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

I've had a lot of fun with it. It was pretty much what I expected, a new Bethesda game with all that that entails. While Witcher 3 really set a new high bar for quality in big open world RPG's, Bethesda's games, to me, are like the open world game equivalent to junk food. You know the quality is crummy and that it feels cheap and thrown together... but something it still hits the spot.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I really love Fallout 4 it has much more personality than 3 including New Vegas (which I loved too). No point getting hung up on graphics it's fucking Bethesda it's always going to look like shit till it's modded but the game is great.

I have a much better time customising my own character instead of watching Geralt going through the motions while we looked on in Witcher 3 which looked great but everywhere you go looks exactly the same unless it's snowing. Zero character in that gameworld and the levelling balance is atrociously bad you can outlevel the whole game as punishment for following the story.

I should probably point out before I'm accused of being a Bethesda fanboy that I absolutely loathe Skyrim with a vengeance, a completely souless experience, and I loved Morrowind. Oblivion was too bland and dull to actually have an opinion on.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58321 Posts

Played it.

Was taking my time, but it got really repetitive and the world is so damn ugly (and the visuals not so great, either) that I just finished the story.

Have not played it since; AC: Syndicate, Just Cause 3, and [god help me] Battlefront have taken up all my time.

It's been a great last two months of the year, gaming wise. Fallout 4 is great, but it's no Skyrim...or Oblivion...or Morrowind for that matter.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside

@mrbojangles25 said:

Played it.

Was taking my time, but it got really repetitive and the world is so damn ugly (and the visuals not so great, either) that I just finished the story.

Have not played it since; AC: Syndicate, Just Cause 3, and [god help me] Battlefront have taken up all my time.

It's been a great last two months of the year, gaming wise. Fallout 4 is great, but it's no Skyrim...or Oblivion...or Morrowind for that matter.

Can you complete the whole main story without doing side quests and needing to level up?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58321 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Played it.

Can you complete the whole main story without doing side quests and needing to level up?

hmmm not sure. Probably? I mean the game mostly scales to your level iirc; there are some tougher enemies, but for the most part, provided you keep a variety of weapons (damage types, that is), you won't have difficulty.

I do remember leveling was INSANELY easy, though. I think I was level 25+ by the time I finished and I did not feel like it took a lot of time.

pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts

Man I just remembered why I don't go on these forums anymore, everybody whines and complains like crazy. I thought it was great, OP you should go back and play fallout 3 and see how much has changed. The improved shooting mechanics alone give the series a fresh feel let alone the new world, awesome crafting system, and settlement builder.

And I love how everyone always say that Bethesda's engine is crappy and wants their games to be like the Witcher 3 and GTA 5. The only thing is those games aren't nearly as dense with interacteable items and areas. And those engines aren't specially built to be modded easily. I think it would be easy for a studio like Bethesda to make an open world as nice as those games if they didn't have to worry about mods or a populated, interacteable world, but then it would just be another generic open world a la Ubisoft games and not what made the series great. Just goes to show no matter what devs do, the PC community will always complain, and then they turn around and cry about games not being made for them anymore.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

Yeah, the game sucks! Am I a member of the cool gang now?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@kriggy said:

Yeah, the game sucks! Am I a member of the cool gang now?

yes

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_:

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside

@pl4yer_f0und said:

if they didn't have to worry about mods or a populated, interacteable world, but then it would just be another generic open world a la Ubisoft games

Ehh. Worlds like The Witcher 3, GTA and the Assassins Creed Series are anything but generic. They are very detailed with lots of things happening.

You can like Bethesda games but the fact is that they need to create a new, better and more stable engine. It's long overdue. They can't keep falling back on the excuse "oh, but our world has interactive items and we support mods".

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#32 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I enjoyed it more than FO3 and Skyrim by a marginal degree, but its nowhere near as good as New Vegas in many important aspects.

I thought the downtown area of Boston in FO4 was incredible, I love how dense the map is in general, the actual area of the game map is kinda small but man it is just packed with stuff to explore.

The main quest still sucked though, companions are so glitchy they aren't worth bringing along and its really not an RPG any more. The character progression is about as deep as most modern open world action games.

I think if you play it like State of Decay its a pretty fun time, building settlements and exploring for rare resources.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I'm disappointed they got rid of the stats and traits system, but I'm very happy with the game overall.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

@pl4yer_f0und said:

Just goes to show no matter what devs do, the PC community will always complain, and then they turn around and cry about games not being made for them anymore.

Nice generalization there. I wonder what your thoughts are on people who want their role-playing games to be, well, actual role-playing games?

Bethesda should give up all pretenses, stop marketing their games as RPGs, and call them what they actually are, action-adventure games. People would probably give them a lot less crap if they did. Just sayin'.....

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FelipeInside

@-wildflower- said:
@pl4yer_f0und said:

Just goes to show no matter what devs do, the PC community will always complain, and then they turn around and cry about games not being made for them anymore.

Nice generalization there. I wonder what your thoughts are on people who want their role-playing games to be, well, actual role-playing games?

Bethesda should give up all pretenses, stop marketing their games as RPGs, and call them what they actually are, action-adventure games. People would probably give them a lot less crap if they did. Just sayin'.....

Well it depends what each person calls RPG.

Role Playing Game to me is when you can create a character, which has an inventory, with modded weapons, with different quest trails and with choice on how to talk to people and overcome said quests in an open world.

Fallout 4 has all these features does it not? (I agree it's more an action game than anything else. I call it an action RPG)

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

honestly, i think it was quite apparent from the moment the first in-game footage was released. the poor graphics revealed that it will use the same engine, and will likely play the same than Fallout 3. the more they released videos, the more it was confirmed.

"too early to judge, wait till the release" they said.... i can goddamn tell what i see in the videos.... wich is; nothing really new.

THAT SAID, i still enjoyed playing it once again. those minor additions and tweaks to gameplay were enough to keep the old horse running, but it's still an old horse.

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

Didn't buy it. Honestly I thought something was wrong with me because I thought Skyrim was a snorefest. Good to see some people agree with me

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

I am too busy playing The Witcher 3 to be disappointed.

I only tried a little bit of Fallout 4 so far and it just feels like more of the same with outdated graphics.

I think in a year or so I will go back to play it when there are more mods.

Mods should fix a lot of the issues and increase the visuals like with Skyrim.

JamesGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 JamesGoblin
Member since 2015 • 114 Posts

I knew exactly what to expect from Bethesda, and I'm happy with the delivery. Their standard launch quality stuff :P

pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts

@-wildflower- said:
@pl4yer_f0und said:

Well I think these games are still role-playing games. You're still playing out a role in the world through your decisions in attributes, perks, dialogue, etc. The game doesn't force to make as many decisions as before since you can't allocate skills, but you still get to choose how you're character is going to play. And, also, I don't know how Bethesda would stop marketing their games as RPGs as I don't think they ever used the word 'RPG' in their marketing. I think the fanbase is more responsible for labeling what the game is, and, to be honest, what the game is labelled shouldn't detract from the experience.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MlauTheDaft

I think Fallout should now be classified as an RPS, because it feels a lot like Borderlands with less interesting visuals.