intel just wiped amds butt for them

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

newbpwnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 newbpwnage
Member since 2007 • 2409 Posts

http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Wipes+Out+AMDs+2006+Marketshare+Gains+in+One+Quarter/article7051.htm

Intel picks up 6% marketshare during one quarter in the overall PC market

The price war that is waging between Intel and AMD paid off handsomely for Intel in the first quarter, according to the latest numbers from Mercury Research. Intel managed to capture 80.5 percent of the PC processor market for Q1 2007.

The strong performance by Intel in Q1 represents a whopping six percentage point increase from the 74.4 percent share that the company held during Q4 2006. The increases per segment come in at eight percent for the desktop market, four percent for the notebook market and seven percent for the server market.

Last year, AMD was quick to point out its strong growth in all computing segments. For the third quarter, AMD's share of the desktop, notebook and server markets stood at 26.5 percent, 18.3 percent and 24.4 percent respectively. The company's overall marketshare for Q3 2006 came in at 23.3 percent. For Q4 2006, that share rose to 25.3 percent.

Intel erased all of AMD's 2006 gains and pushed the company back under the 20 percent threshold. Analysts for JP Morgan reported that "Intel's superior products and aggressive pricing took their toll on AMD. We expect AMD to lose additional share during (the second quarter)."

AMD has responded to the best of its ability to Intel's strong Core 2-based product family and the company's steady stream of price cuts. By going toe-to-toe with Intel, however, AMD has seen its average selling prices (ASPs) fall along with unit sales.

The company also made a critical error by oversupplying OEMs with processors when they couldn't deliver on sales forecasts while at the same time leaving channel partners out to dry with processor supply. "We made a strategic risk on how we shifted our capacity to serve our customers and unfortunately some of our customers were not able to meet those very aggressive growth areas that they had so when we shifted that, we were not able to recover as fast this quarter as we would have liked," said AMD CEO Hector Ruiz in early March.

The increased pricing pressure, disappointing sales from OEM and the strong performance of dual-core and quad-core processors from Intel has taken its toll on AMD. The company posted a $611 million USD net loss in Q1 2007 and announced that it would restructure its business to cut costs.

Shegevara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Shegevara
Member since 2005 • 2124 Posts
no AMD quads makes intel quads and better intel duals very expensive. Please AMD, release this barcelona or you will be selling those X2s to the USD cents if your main weapon is price cuts
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Just look at Intel's Barcelona killer! http://www.theonion.com/content/node/52114
bike749

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bike749
Member since 2005 • 829 Posts
AMD 65 NM GOING TO BEAT INTEL 65 NM THAT INTEL 45 NM WELL AMD GOING TO BEAT INTEL 45 NM LOL
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Staryoshi87
But lets think about this....ATI's awesome card? Great! Oh wait, preliminary benches show otherwise? Dang. I'm not expecting much from Barcelona. I'mma hit up some sort of Peryn-like card in 2 years. My E6600 will go for quite some time.
Shegevara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shegevara

AMD 65 NM GOING TO BEAT INTEL 65 NM THAT INTEL 45 NM WELL AMD GOING TO BEAT INTEL 45 NM LOLbike749

no, there are no doubts. Intel will beat the barcelona. But i hope amd has something to answer the intel. And there will be again more than 1 year 

portej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 portej
Member since 2004 • 645 Posts

Just look at Intel's Barcelona killer! http://www.theonion.com/content/node/52114Staryoshi87

Mildy amusing picture, 6.5/10

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Staryoshi87

[QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]Just look at Intel's Barcelona killer! http://www.theonion.com/content/node/52114portej

Mildy amusing picture, 6.5/10

It was the only intel related onion article I could find offhand.

Avatar image for deactivated-591d19704318a
deactivated-591d19704318a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-591d19704318a
Member since 2003 • 123 Posts

i'd like to thank the economy for bringing the price of the e6700 duo core to $329...   XD

bike749

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bike749
I MEAN AMD STILL ON 90 NM AND INTEL NEW 65 NM FASTER NOW LET THINK ABOUT AMD 65 NM
CHAOSWEAV3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CHAOSWEAV3R
Member since 2006 • 8293 Posts
Let's go AMD.
Avatar image for 353535355353535

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 353535355353535
Member since 2005 • 4424 Posts
lets hope that this isn't the end of AMD, cuz if it is, no more competition for Intel, and they can charge the hell out of us for their Processors
j3ninja10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 j3ninja10
Member since 2007 • 1434 Posts

i'd like to thank the economy for bringing the price of the e6700 duo core to $329... XD

250Ridah

get the e6600 and overclock just a bit and same some money 

bike749

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bike749
INTEL THINK THEY GOING TO WIN THIS WAR THEY BETTER DO THERE HOMEWORK PLUS AMD STILL ON 90 NM.
Shegevara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shegevara

INTEL THINK THEY GOING TO WIN THIS WAR THEY BETTER DO THERE HOMEWORK PLUS AMD STILL ON 90 NM.bike749

Intel thinks, that they are going to win this war (i dunno what war?). They should rather do their homework plus AMD is still on 90nm.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
It took Intel 3 years to catch up and beat AMD. It better not take AMD nearly as long or they're in deep *bleep*.
sepheronX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 sepheronX
Member since 2005 • 1388 Posts

dunno bout you guys, but here is my assumption.

Intel's current Core 2 Duos suprisingly enough, overclocks really far without even much effort.  I have a feeling the Core architecture has a ton of more potential that is just locked away, waiting for AMD to release their last breath, then Intel will hit with Penryn that are such highly clocked, and including more cache and such, making them the winner again.  It is so simply to look at it too.

So far, we have heard nothing but talk from AMD.  They talk the talk, but do they walk the walk???

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

This is a great time to be alive ;) Every hit AMD takes makes me smile =D To hell with competition =P I just need AMD to cling onto their market share just enough to keep Intel's prices reasonable. Staryoshi87

That would be forever. You think Intel is going to keep prices low if it's the only company on the market? 

jjjhsmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jjjhsmith
Member since 2003 • 799 Posts

INTEL THINK THEY GOING TO WIN THIS WAR THEY BETTER DO THERE HOMEWORK PLUS AMD STILL ON 90 NM.bike749

jfelisario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jfelisario
Member since 2006 • 2753 Posts

[QUOTE="bike749"]INTEL THINK THEY GOING TO WIN THIS WAR THEY BETTER DO THERE HOMEWORK PLUS AMD STILL ON 90 NM.jjjhsmith

This post delivers.... 

MrMcPeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrMcPeach
Member since 2004 • 365 Posts

This is a great time to be alive ;) Every hit AMD takes makes me smile =D To hell with competition =P I just need AMD to cling onto their market share just enough to keep Intel's prices reasonable. Staryoshi87

Your statement makes no sense. If AMD clings on to its small market share yet there is no competition then Intels prices will not be reasonable because there vwil be no competition to make it necessary for them to be reasonable.  I'd rather see AMD increase mkt share so the 2 companies are a little bit better matched to compete evenly with each other competition wise.  Unfortunately this won't hapen any time soon.  As for smiling every time AMD takes a hit, I expect you smile every time Walmart shuts down another local business thats been in your community for years too.  You should WANT to see healthy competition.

Jsung8070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Jsung8070
Member since 2007 • 305 Posts

come on amd!

lets go lets go!(?) they better as hell not lose.

Raven55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Raven55
Member since 2003 • 215 Posts
MrMcPeach (and some others) are right. If Amd goes under there will be no insentive for Intel to lower their prices or develope new products in any hurry. Compitition is a good thing, but some of you cant see the woods because of the trees.
bike749

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bike749
amd 65 nm going to make intel cry like a little baby LMAO
Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts

I MEAN AMD STILL ON 90 NM AND INTEL NEW 65 NM FASTER NOW LET THINK ABOUT AMD 65 NMbike749

amd 65 nm going to make intel cry like a little baby LMAO

I think you need to stop, before you make a bigger tool out of yourself. :|

AMD's 65nm is, in a word, dissapointing. AMD can't even hit 3GHz with its die shrink due to too much leakage of the transistor. That's just to put it into simple terms. I could go deeper into the problem regarding AMD's lousy 65nm process.
Gate leakage is a huge problem at the transistor level. It's because of the 65nm process that AMD is struggling to release Barcelona. I bet that yeilds are just too low or optimal clock speeds cannot be reached with Barcalona. If AMD releases Barcelona at say 2GHz, Intel will just crush it with a 3.3+GHz Penryn.

Intel's 45nm process contains high-k metal gates for the transistor. These stop leakage and will most likely allow incredibly high clock speeds or incredible power mangament (or both), which is invaluable in the laptop/server markets (a lot of money). There's also the fact that Intel will increase wafer sizes to increase its yeild rates, which should allow them to offer processors at a lower cost.

AMD is struggling on all fronts. Research, output and finance. They will never be at Intel's level, and that's the sad truth. If you think I'm bashing AMD, I ain't. I'm merely stating fact. AMD does not have the money and resources to keep up with Intel.
AMD shouldn't have gotten on its high horse during the Athlon 64 days. They lowered their guard and relaxed, turning their back on a giant. Hell, they ignored the Pentium-M and Core Duo, which was the predecessor of the Core 2 arch! If you look back at past benchmarks, the Pentium-M and Core Duo already beat the Turion-64/X2 and even kept up with the Athlon 64 X2 and Pentium D, despite being clocked significantly slower, possessing a slower FSB and a smaller amount of cache.

AMD should've rushed back to the drawing board as soon as Pentium-M came out. It was only a matter of time until Intel would implement a similar arch into their desktop/server profile.
Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts

[QUOTE="bike749"]INTEL THINK THEY GOING TO WIN THIS WAR THEY BETTER DO THERE HOMEWORK PLUS AMD STILL ON 90 NM.jjjhsmith

ROFL, perfect post.

Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts

[QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]This is a great time to be alive ;) Every hit AMD takes makes me smile =D To hell with competition =P I just need AMD to cling onto their market share just enough to keep Intel's prices reasonable. MrMcPeach

Your statement makes no sense. If AMD clings on to its small market share yet there is no competition then Intels prices will not be reasonable because there vwil be no competition to make it necessary for them to be reasonable. I'd rather see AMD increase mkt share so the 2 companies are a little bit better matched to compete evenly with each other competition wise. Unfortunately this won't hapen any time soon. As for smiling every time AMD takes a hit, I expect you smile every time Walmart shuts down another local business thats been in your community for years too. You should WANT to see healthy competition.

Fanboys hate competition. ;)

I agree with you, though. I really hope AMD returns fire. The current prices are so low it's unbelievable. 

jfelisario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jfelisario
[QUOTE="MrMcPeach"]

[QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]This is a great time to be alive ;) Every hit AMD takes makes me smile =D To hell with competition =P I just need AMD to cling onto their market share just enough to keep Intel's prices reasonable. Staryoshi87

Your statement makes no sense. If AMD clings on to its small market share yet there is no competition then Intels prices will not be reasonable because there vwil be no competition to make it necessary for them to be reasonable. I'd rather see AMD increase mkt share so the 2 companies are a little bit better matched to compete evenly with each other competition wise. Unfortunately this won't hapen any time soon. As for smiling every time AMD takes a hit, I expect you smile every time Walmart shuts down another local business thats been in your community for years too. You should WANT to see healthy competition.

Walmarts are the best, actually. And AMD has a small percentage as it is, and intel is keeping their prices competitive. As long as AMD clings on and presents almost-threats, I'll be happy.

The thing is, they are looking to shrink their market share if the pressure is kept on them, especially with the likes of Intel ramping up penryn efforts for a possible q3 2007 launch, and double up on ATI getting inevitably jumped by Nvidia when the R600 comes out and Nvidia responds accordingly to that. It looks like they will be put down to a no-threat and that's not good, so i'm hoping, for the sake of the spirit of competition that they pull themselves out of the hole they are in and make a comeback. 

Raven55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Raven55
If you're a Business Major, you must be flunking. You sound like one of those people who were defecating all over Intel a few months ago before C2D came out. And now that it's popular, you've jumped on the old bandwagon.
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DeeJayInphinity

You have to realize that Intel's price cuts aren't to promote healthy competition. It's a direct approach to getting rid of competition that has smaller pockets than you do. A business major should know that by now

Just imagine Intel on it's own. It's going to be like the old days.. crappy and out-dated ~$1,000 chips.

jfelisario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jfelisario

You have to realize that Intel's price cuts aren't to promote healthy competition. It's a direct approach to getting rid of competition that has smaller pockets than you do. A business major should know that by now

Just imagine Intel on it's own. It's going to be like the old days.. crappy and out-dated ~$1,000 chips.

DeeJayInphinity

Big Blue comes back to save the day and AMD hehe, bail em out of their debt, I can imagine a huge corporate structure overhaul if that ever happened.

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

I said I wanted AMD to cling on to its tiny existence, not be run out of business.

Staryoshi87

You keep saying that you're a business major, yet I've seen very little business sense out of you. As was previously stated, if AMD loses more market share, Intel is going to be much less inclined to cut their prices again, and even less inclined to push the envelope in terms of more efficient, better performing processors. I don't care whether or not you like AMD as a company, but the simple fact remains is that they are all that is standing between Intel and a monopoly. And the more market share AMD loses, the closer they get. Use a little of that economic theory they may or may not be teaching you at your overpriced education center, and just think about the implications of that. Microsoft got out of hand with two competitors, and Intel is poised to do that even better with just one competitor.

Raven55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Raven55
QFT
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DeeJayInphinity
[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"]

jfelisario

Big Blue comes back to save the day and AMD hehe, bail em out of their debt, I can imagine a huge corporate structure overhaul if that ever happened.

I'd love to see the day Intel extends their hands out to AMD. :lol:

I'm absoutely sure that will never happen, but Intel could at least try to not look like a monopoly. Getting sued for that stuff is never good, as a few companies may already know. ;) 

jfelisario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jfelisario
[QUOTE="jfelisario"][QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"]

DeeJayInphinity

I'd love to see the day Intel extends their hands out to AMD. :lol:

I'm absoutely sure that will never happen, but Intel could at least try to not look like a monopoly. Getting sued for that stuff is never good, as a few companies may already know. ;)

Big Blue = IBM, lol kids these days....... i feel ancient :P they've done it before in the past, bailing AMD that is.

DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DeeJayInphinity

Big Blue = IBM, lol kids these days....... i feel ancient :P they've done it before in the past, bailing AMD that is.

jfelisario

Relax, I know what Big Blue reffers to. :\

DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DeeJayInphinity

[QUOTE="Raven55"]If you're a Business Major, you must be flunking. You sound like one of those people who were defecating all over Intel a few months ago before C2D came out. And now that it's popular, you've jumped on the old bandwagon.Staryoshi87

I've been with intel since Pentium 75. If AMD ever released some OMG cpu I'd buy it, but otherwise they can take the bargain bin market. I have a personal vendetta against AMD that transcends all logic, so don't tell me that I shouldn't hate AMD, because I will continue to do so. Step off.

AMD has released a bunch of "OMG" processors in the past, it's just now that Intel has released something superior to AMD's best offering. We're already aware that your attatchment to a business lacks any logic, you didn't have to tell us that. 

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts

You know if AMD goes down it's taken ati with them :(:(:(

But AMD has never had much market share,it doesn't stop them from releasing better cpu's than intel,i have faith in amd that they will be able too outperform intel in at least performance in nothing else with their upcoming quadcore cpu. 

Shegevara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Shegevara
it's cool, it's cool. Amd will bring up a better CPU than current intel cpus. Hence the word CURRENT. Intel is already developing a slightly better CPU.
sykonfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sykonfc
Member since 2004 • 607 Posts
[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"][QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]

[QUOTE="Raven55"]If you're a Business Major, you must be flunking. You sound like one of those people who were defecating all over Intel a few months ago before C2D came out. And now that it's popular, you've jumped on the old bandwagon.Staryoshi87

I've been with intel since Pentium 75. If AMD ever released some OMG cpu I'd buy it, but otherwise they can take the bargain bin market. I have a personal vendetta against AMD that transcends all logic, so don't tell me that I shouldn't hate AMD, because I will continue to do so. Step off.

AMD has released a bunch of "OMG" processors in the past, it's just now that Intel has released something superior to AMD's best offering. We're already aware that your attatchment to a business lacks any logic, you didn't have to tell us that.

They don't have any "OMG" processors now. The present is what matters. I think it's ignorant to buy AMD products because they're the underdog. Buy the best product out there, and let the market sort it out. If AMD can't put up, then they'll fade into oblivion. Competition often breeds great products/prices, but perhaps it's time for a new competitor to enter the arena. The golden statue started to crumble when they bought ATI.

Come back here in a year and tell me how much you hate AMD when Intel is charging several thousand dollars for low-end CPUs because AMD was decimated. Until you realize that AMD vs. Intel is the best thing that ever happened to the microprocessor market then we'll always be here to call you a fool. We're not telling you, specifically, to buy AMD products. We're telling you, that relishing in your own vendetta against AMD when they our struck by Intel is foolhardy.

LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LordEC911
Member since 2004 • 9972 Posts

So what is Barcelona then, if not the future best product on the market?
A native quadcore chip, with a new architecture that should push it ahead of Core2's performance, it has many innovations(something that cannot be said for most Intel products) and will have a very well designed/engineered calculations/algorithms for drastically reducing power consumption.

While AMD might be behind in nm, since they don't have the money/assests that Intel does, AMD is way ahead on architecture/core design.  We won't be seeing a native quadcore from Intel until, at least, 2H '08. 

ATLReppa770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ATLReppa770
Member since 2005 • 4208 Posts

i'd like to thank the economy for bringing the price of the e6700 duo core to $329... XD

250Ridah

What do you care? You have an Intel e6700. 

jfelisario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jfelisario

So what is Barcelona then, if not the future best product on the market?
A native quadcore chip, with a new architecture that should push it ahead of Core2's performance, it has many innovations(something that cannot be said for most Intel products) and will have a very well designed/engineered calculations/algorithms for drastically reducing power consumption.

While AMD might be behind in nm, since they don't have the money/assests that Intel does, AMD is way ahead on architecture/core design. We won't be seeing a native quadcore from Intel until, at least, 2H '08.

LordEC911

Hey lord, where've you been lately? You've been missing in action in the forums hehe, welcome back. Anyways, all news points out to a spectacular comeback with the barcelona, but AMD has to do more than that to deal with their mounting debt, and its hard to do so as Intel is seemingly going for the jugular with the price war, and the news of penryn being moved forward to a possible q3 2007 launch won't bode well for AMD in regards to the mobile chip sector, so they need to deal with that as well.