BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Looking at the specs and comparisons, it seems the only difference is the i7 4790 has a higher clock speed at 3.6GHz base and 4.0GHz turbo.

So with that in mind is there a point going the i7 4790 route? Also they will be bringing out the unlocked "K" versions at the end of the year apparently, no option for it now.

Would there be a point waiting? Or just go the i7 4770K route?

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Pff yea wait for a ridiculously overpriced locked CPU. Seriously, just get a 4770K, delid it if you got the bawls, if not then just OC it to 4.0-4.2 and call it a day :).

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

not worth waiting for. just a 100Mhz speed bump wich doesn't really make a difference. you could just OC 4770K if you want.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BattleSpectre

@PfizersaurusRex said:

Pff yea wait for a ridiculously overpriced locked CPU. Seriously, just get a 4770K, delid it if got the bawls, if not then OC it to 4.0-4.2 and call it a day :).

I meant wait for the i7 4790 unlocked "K" models to release, which should be about 6 months later from estimations. But yeah i7 4770K with a nice overclock should do, unless you're a serious overclocker the i7 4790k should be an animal.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

@PfizersaurusRex said:

Pff yea wait for a ridiculously overpriced locked CPU. Seriously, just get a 4770K, delid it if got the bawls, if not then OC it to 4.0-4.2 and call it a day :).

I meant wait for the i7 4790 unlocked "K" models to release, which should be about 6 months later from estimations. But yeah i7 4770K with a nice overclock should do, unless you're a serious overclocker the i7 4790k should be an animal.

You can't expect that 4790K will be a better clocker if they use the same kind of paste between the CPU die and the heatspreader, which they probably will.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

4790 and 4670... Released because Intel couldn't get the die shrink to 14nm fast enough?

maynardburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 maynardburger
Member since 2005 • 187 Posts

You can probably safely overclock the 4770k to match the 4790 even with a stock CPU cooler.

This will be something that is used in already over-priced pre-built machines in order to claim the latest greatest and greatest to ignorant customers.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Personally, I don't think it will be big enough of a difference. Either CPU should be able to rip through any games provided you have a good GPU to go along with it.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#9  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

i have a 4770k so i can suggest it. I wouldn't bothering de-lidding it, i never did to mine and just got a good cooler for it and i have it overclocked to 4.5ghz. But that speed was my limit and if i didn't have fear of breaking my cpu i probably would get greedy and try to delid it and bump the ghz up more, but really... a few hundred more mhz will not be noticeable for anything and plus it could kill a 350 dollar cpu.

Also i heard delidding it isn't very long term since the liquid metal you put in its place could eventually need replacing because it will settle and lose contact between the cpu and the heatspreader. I find it funny that regular computer users think they are smarter then intel engineers and think that taking apart the cpu and putting a temporary fix like that is a good idea.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@Old_Gooseberry said:

i have a 4770k so i can suggest it. I wouldn't bothering de-lidding it, i never did to mine and just got a good cooler for it and i have it overclocked to 4.5ghz. But that speed was my limit and if i didn't have fear of breaking my cpu i probably would get greedy and try to delid it and bump the ghz up more, but really... a few hundred more mhz will not be noticeable for anything and plus it could kill a 350 dollar cpu.

Also i heard delidding it isn't very long term since the liquid metal you put in its place could eventually need replacing because it will settle and lose contact between the cpu and the heatspreader. I find it funny that regular computer users think they are smarter then intel engineers and think that taking apart the cpu and putting a temporary fix like that is a good idea.

Delidded mine nearly a year ago and it's still good :)

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#11 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@Old_Gooseberry said:

Delidded mine nearly a year ago and it's still good :)

nice... maybe it was just a rumor or guess by people that it wouldn't last. I still fear doing it :)

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BattleSpectre

Do you guys recommend the Hyper 212 Evo cooler for a safe overlock to 4.5GHz on the 4770K? Reason I ask is because I have a spare 212 sitting around the house that I bought but never used. Or is there something better around that price tag?

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

Do you guys recommend the Hyper 212 Evo cooler for a safe overlock to 4.5GHz on the 4770K? Reason I ask is because I have a spare 212 sitting around the house that I bought but never used. Or is there something better around that price tag?

People who use a 212 evo with good thermal paste get in the 4.3-4.5ghz range on a 4770K

maynardburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By maynardburger
Member since 2005 • 187 Posts

@Old_Gooseberry said:

Its not a temporary fix at all. Its improving the CPU build. Its not about being smarter than Intel engineers, its fixing a weak point in the build. They may be smart, but it doesn't mean they are always going to use the very best parts possible. This is likely something they did to keep production costs down. It really only matters to hardcore overclockers, which are a fairly small minority of consumers, so its not worth the extra cost when its fine for running at lower speeds.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BattleSpectre

@mastershake575 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

People who use a 212 evo with good thermal paste get in the 4.3-4.5ghz range on a 4770K

Cheers, thanks for that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@horgen said:

4790 and 4670... Released because Intel couldn't get the die shrink to 14nm fast enough?

no, but because the new shrinked Broadwells require a new 9 series chipset...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 horgen  Moderator

@groowagon Bios updating 8 serier wont work?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@horgen said:

no official word on that as far as i know, but since there are some voltage differences with new Broadwells i think there are many 8 models that are beyond BIOS update fix.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator

@groowagon said:

@horgen said:

no official word on that as far as i know, but since there are some voltage differences with new Broadwells i think there are many 8 models that are beyond BIOS update fix.

Ah... A lot lower voltage in general for Broadwell?

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

@mastershake575 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Cheers, thanks for that.

I can second it. I am using a 212 and am sitting comfortably at 4.3Ghz at 56C-64C while gaming and at 87C while running Prime95.

EDIT: Keep in mind that mine is Ivybridge so mine runs hotter than some other people's CPUs.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

@mastershake575 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Cheers, thanks for that.

Just watch the temps when testing for stability, otherwise it should be fine.
In Prime95 I got up to 88c with 4.4 and 4.5. I'm not really comfortable with those types of temps. :P

But in gaming, unless you live somewhere hot or your case sucks (with air flow), you probably won't even hit 70c.
I'm lucky if I hit 60c in gaming.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BattleSpectre

@kitty said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@mastershake575 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Cheers, thanks for that.

In Prime95 I got up to 88c with 4.4 and 4.5. I'm not really comfortable with those types of temps. :P

But in gaming, unless you live somewhere hot or your case sucks (with air flow), you probably won't even hit 70c.

Good thing it's pretty much Winter in Australia right now. In Summer it can get as hot as 44 degrees Celsius with 100% humidity. Let's just say I'd be picking up the remains of the CPU lol.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

@kitty said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@mastershake575 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Cheers, thanks for that.

Good thing it's pretty much Winter in Australia right now. In Summer it can get as hot as 44 degrees Celsius with 100% humidity. Let's just say I'd be picking up the remains of the CPU lol.

In that case, I'd put it back at stock settings during that season. But I'd probably die with those temps :P

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@BattleSpectre said:

Switch to phase-cooling. Basically have an extremely effective freezer element cooling down liquid which in turn cool down your CPU. :P

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BattleSpectre

@horgen said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Switch to phase-cooling. Basically have an extremely effective freezer element cooling down liquid which in turn cool down your CPU. :P

I have a better idea, it requires Ice, a lot of fvcking Ice!

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 soolkiki

@horgen said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Do you even know how high of clocks the people on this forum would have if we could do that all the time!?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 horgen  Moderator

@soolkiki said:

@horgen said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Do you even know how high of clocks the people on this forum would have if we could do that all the time!?

I would push mine over 5GHz, that's for sure. And if I could I would expand it to cover my GPU as well... And get one of those really OC friendly baddies :P

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 soolkiki

@horgen said:

@soolkiki said:

@horgen said:

@BattleSpectre said:

I would push mine over 5GHz, that's for sure. And if I could I would expand it to cover my GPU as well... And get one of those really OC friendly baddies :P

Hell yeah! Just to say that we could! haha