I'm TOO SCARED to play Doom 3!!! - HELP!

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

no-scoped_jfk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 no-scoped_jfk
Member since 2007 • 417 Posts
Ok, i play Doom 3 every six months because it freaks the crap out of me. I dont think im even passed the 3rd level yet. So i was wondering, does this game scare you? Should i jsut sell this game cause im not enjoying it and put it towards my future 360? Or should i keep it until i lose my fear? Help guys, i want to play this but just cant/
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

Oh man you aren't the only one! Don't worry, you won't be considered a pansy, because this game has scared the crap out of MANY people, don't sell the game, just keep the lights on and the doors open when you play the game, but damnit, that's just when it becomes "too much" because the atmosphere in doom 3 is awesome, and from that post (and with the amount of people who have been scared by the game, even if you are joking, I actually believe you.) I can definetly tell it's done it's job.

When you are done with those games, get F.E.A.R. and Condemned Criminal Origins, those have a low price tag, and are bound to scare the shlt out of you!

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

Doom 3 didn't scare me, but it did shock me. I make a distinction between the reflex reaction of shock, and the emotion of fear. A pretty big one.

Doom 3 is great for shocks, though. If you're struggling to get through the entire game, my advice would be to sit down and play the opening 90 minutes. Then, a little later, play it again. Then again. After you've seen that all doom has to offer is enemies jumping out of the darkness - enemies that aren't really any different than any other FPS enemies - it's hard to even be shocked.

By the time you're well accustomed to the shock mentality the game adopts, you will not only be able to begin predicting when enemies are going to come at you, you will be fairly unfazed when they actually do.

This may not seem like helpful advice - but the best way to overcome a fear is, apparently, to face it. So just play the game.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
LOL, i just played it during the day :shock: Then i got bored because every level looks the same and it's too damn dark so i sold it.
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts
Lol, most horror movies are just a bunch of crap popping out of the dark or out of nowhere, and Doom 3 has a lot, but I know what the guy meant by 'scared', but anyway, mfsa is right, it's just 'shocking, and jumpyness', but the atmosphere, which is bieng cramped up into dark places, can also creep a person out.
Karl319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Karl319
Member since 2005 • 4390 Posts
Too scared for Doom 3? Uh, alright. I don't see what's to be afraid of in Doom 3, sure a screamer is never pleasant but ... ah well. Keep trying.
Avatar image for Divine_Dragon02
Divine_Dragon02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Divine_Dragon02
Member since 2006 • 54 Posts

I play Doom 3 in two ways. I sometimes play it late at night, with my headphones set to high volume. I get really tense and freaked out when something jumps out at me (i find the experiance really enjoyable).

OR

I invite a friend around, we hype up on coke and sugar, and then take turns charging through the levels while we both sorta scream at the monitor like maniacs.
When your doing that, its hard to feel scared.

Avatar image for Red_Knight_Alex
Red_Knight_Alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Red_Knight_Alex
Member since 2007 • 81 Posts

Doom 3 is scary in my opinion. Sometimes I will not play it because I know it's scary. And different people get scared at different things. Just because one things scares another person doesn't mean the other will.

At some points I know I'm getting myself scarred, from looking at the atmosphere, the dark corners, and the knowledge that it is made to be scary. If I tried hard enough I could probably convince myself that there was nothing scary about the game (which, of course, it is and cannot hurt you) and go through it like a regular FPS but I want to be scared. That's part of the game!

My advice is to remember that it's not real (easier said than done), turn on all of the lights you can without distorting the screen, and keep yourself calm. Deep breaths and ten minute breaks to reconnect with the world will help.

Don't let it get to you! They'll win!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It is a very atmospheric game no doubt and does quite a bit to try and scare the player. I know that when I first played it it scared me as well, both through shock and fear. If you have trouble getting through the game download the duct-tape mod that sticks a flashlight onto your shotgun and machinegun, it works wonders at giving you the ability to see and be prepared at the same time. I never used it myself because I enjoy being freaked out... which is probably why I enjoy playing the game in the dark with the volume cranked.

Realising that it is little more than just a bunch of over-developed Satanic imagery combined with monster-closets you may find it start to lose its edge just a little.
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

It is a very atmospheric game no doubt and does quite a bit to try and scare the player. I know that when I first played it it scared me as well, both through shock and fear. If you have trouble getting through the game download the duct-tape mod that sticks a flashlight onto your shotgun and machinegun, it works wonders at giving you the ability to see and be prepared at the same time. I never used it myself because I enjoy being freaked out... which is probably why I enjoy playing the game in the dark with the volume cranked.

Realising that it is little more than just a bunch of over-developed Satanic imagery combined with monster-closets you may find it start to lose its edge just a little.foxhound_fox

Yeah, the flashlight mod makes the game less scary, download it, see if that helps. I have to admit that that game freaked me out. I couldn't play it alone back in the day. Played on a TV with surround sound all the way up, in the dark... Almost want to install it again.

wheezal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wheezal
Member since 2004 • 3066 Posts

i say attack your fear head on.

here's how i played Doom 3. all the lights out, pitch black mang! and the volume turned up nice and high on my 7.1 speaker system. an X-fi sound card does the rest.

man talk aboot spooooky!

if you can get through that, then you'll have strengthened your resolve against hellish monsters springing forth from the abyss to consume your soul. if that sort of thing scares ya. :)

milan444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 milan444
Member since 2006 • 488 Posts
its just a game man dont be a nerd... how the hell can a game scare you that much.... Its scary a little bit...but not a much as u say...
giantraddish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 giantraddish
Member since 2002 • 307 Posts

Yep it's a good game for stuff leaping out of the shadows at ya. My recomendation is to play it in small doses. After a while I got the rythm of the boobie traps and expected most of them. "If I pick up this item someone is gonna spawn behind me..." "when I step through this door someone is gonna drop from the ceiling..."

Also once I got further in the game my irritation about the overuse of darkness rose to a high enough level that it overshadow my nervousness.

I think Doom 3 is one of many games that are still being written by technologists, not by story tellers. Alfred Hitchcock said that there is a pattern to scaring an audience. You build up tension, you scare them, then you let them off the hook for a while. If you don't give the audience the cool down period the experience stops being fun. Highly refined games like Half-Life 2 understand this and do things like alternate intense combat sequences with safe(r) puzzle solving sequences. Games written by technological wizards, but story telling newbs, tend to run more: tension - tension - tension - BOO! - tension - tension - tension - BOO!

weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

Doom 3 didn't scare me, but it did shock me. I make a distinction between the reflex reaction of shock, and the emotion of fear. A pretty big one.

Doom 3 is great for shocks, though. If you're struggling to get through the entire game, my advice would be to sit down and play the opening 90 minutes. Then, a little later, play it again. Then again. After you've seen that all doom has to offer is enemies jumping out of the darkness - enemies that aren't really any different than any other FPS enemies - it's hard to even be shocked.

By the time you're well accustomed to the shock mentality the game adopts, you will not only be able to begin predicting when enemies are going to come at you, you will be fairly unfazed when they actually do.

This may not seem like helpful advice - but the best way to overcome a fear is, apparently, to face it. So just play the game.

mfsa

The difference is jumping when debris flies out of the corner at your face and looking down a long, dark hallway and saying "OK, I better save and find something else to do for now...". There hasn't been a horror movie made that has scared me since I was 12, but Doom 3 scared the crap out of me a few times.

Disco_Joe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Disco_Joe
Member since 2004 • 110 Posts
I never get used to scary games. The only horror games I've managed to ever play through are Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil 1 on the DS. Any scarier than that and I just get too anxious. Doom 3 scares the hell out of me, and FEAR is just too eerie.
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts
suck it up, doom 3 isnt scary at all
weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

suck it up, doom 3 isnt scary at allREforever101

fear is an emotion based on perception; not your opinion

spam-Robot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 spam-Robot
Member since 2007 • 653 Posts
Doom 3 was not scary in any way, in fact, the only game I was ever truly scared of playing was the original silent hill, but that was like 8 years ago, when I was 7.
Chadcicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chadcicle
Member since 2007 • 159 Posts
I don't consider Doom 3 a scary game. I do consider it a startling game. It did make me jump out of my seat at almost every single turn.
quietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 quietguy
Member since 2003 • 1218 Posts
Why be scared of Doom 3 when you have GOD MODE! :D
johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
there awhere some moments when a monster popped out and gave me a quite a scare but its wasn't so scary that i couldn't play it my advice turn off the shadows.
giantraddish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 giantraddish
Member since 2002 • 307 Posts

suck it up, doom 3 isnt scary at allREforever101

Obviously there is nothing to be "really" scared about in Doom 3 or any other video game (or movie, or book...). Some people have the imagination and ability to immerse themselves in fictional content enough to be scared or sad or angry. Other people don't and will never get as full an experience out of a game as the imagineers.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
put on god mode. that'll make it instantly unscary. or give yourself full health and full ammo, weapons every once in a while
wood_duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wood_duck
Member since 2007 • 990 Posts

The atmosphere is what makes doom so good IMO, you have to play it late at night all by yourself and man does it get instense just hearing those imps scream.

eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 eggdog1234
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts
I'm a huge horror movie / book fan and there have only been a few movies or books that really scared me. Doom3, however totaly scared me, by scared I mean jumpy and tense. I really liked the game and the game play. But I could only play through one and half times, after that it just wasn't fun anymore. The flow of the game was just not elegant or something. Too much jumping out of the shadows. Even when I knew it would happen it still got me. F.E.A.R. was similar, but more elegant in flow (for me), in that the game was tense but not unplayable. In other words F.E.A.R was creepy and Doom3 was tense.
bachilders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 bachilders
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts
you are such a wussy little pansy, but it scares me too :(
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

[QUOTE="REforever101"]suck it up, doom 3 isnt scary at allgiantraddish

Obviously there is nothing to be "really" scared about in Doom 3 or any other video game (or movie, or book...). Some people have the imagination and ability to immerse themselves in fictional content enough to be scared or sad or angry. Other people don't and will never get as full an experience out of a game as the imagineers.

Wow I've never heard it said better. You win sir! :)

Edgemaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Edgemaster666
Member since 2005 • 1686 Posts
Play FEAR, that game has an awesome atmosphere. More shocks that actual fear though, like a guy above posted. On my second run through I just ran through all of it having fun shooting, because I knew what to expect. The gunplay in that game is just awesome too.
geo888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 geo888
Member since 2006 • 351 Posts
just make fun of the games problems. i think thats why i never get scared from a game when i play it with a friend. were usually laughing while we play it.
mac631

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 mac631
Member since 2006 • 168 Posts

I played D3 and was shocked by the hellish creature all the time while FEAR I can't even press W. LOL.

Alexcr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Alexcr14
Member since 2003 • 35 Posts

I hear ya man. That was a game that I will not soon forget.

I chose to play at night with all of the lights off, and it was not easy for me to do. Here's how you do it...resolve to complete one level a night, and then just chug through it. Some nights are easier than others8)

You'll finish eventually...and then you can buy the expansion pack :twisted:

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

The early levels are the scariest since you don't have access to the more powerful weapons or huge machine gun and shotgun shell supplies, but once you do, you should feel much saferand you're more inclined to say "Come out you ******* coward!!!"rather than "Please don't come out to get me! Please!!!"

Take things slowly. It's all right to save after each room. Just stay for ten seconds and if you don't hear anything out of the ordinary, you should be okay.

Stop walking into items that are out of the way. Chances are, it's a trap.

Wait at spots with decent lighting when there are enemies nearby.

Grab some duct tape. I used one that adds a light to all weapons aside from grenades, fists, and chainsaw. Not having to switch back and forth between your flashlight and weaon helps you calm down since you're always ready to fire when needed.

If you're still a bit unnerved, try running and gunning your way while doing a battlecry. Sure, it's not exactly the smartest idea to run into the unknown, but at least you'll get it over and done with.

lead_healer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 lead_healer
Member since 2007 • 108 Posts
Doom 3 scarred the crap out of me. Playing it with a good set of headphones or 5.1 surround sound is key though. The lighting is absolutely awesome in that game. It never gave me nightmares, but I did continually jump and shout "Ahhh @$@#( zombies!" while playing it.
purple_MAN1832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 purple_MAN1832
Member since 2004 • 2125 Posts

You can always play through with god mode :P

The game scared me for a while...till I realized where to expect enemies and was able to predict when I would be attacked.

mac631

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 mac631
Member since 2006 • 168 Posts

Doom III can be predictable easily by hearing the hellish screaming and sound, dark and quiet area.

But it can be a real shock for the players.

cmdrmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 cmdrmonkey
Member since 2004 • 994 Posts
I found Doom 3 pretty frightening at first. But by the time I reached the later portions of the game, I could always predict when something was going to pop out of the dark or teleport in behind me. Something I found helpful was binding the chainsaw to one of the extra buttons on my mouse so I could get to it quickly when I was ambushed. You feel less like a victim and more like a badass when something jumps out at you and you hack it to bits with a chainsaw.
Spunky1119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Spunky1119
Member since 2005 • 93 Posts
Doom 3 used to scare me until I played F.E.A.R. After you play F.E.A.R...Doom isnt crap.
omarsimpson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 omarsimpson
Member since 2005 • 55 Posts

Doom 3 was a bit scary (shocking) at times. My rule is never to part with a game. I have all the gamesI have every played and paid for. Sometimes I feel nostalgic and load Doom in dos, or original Diablo and just have fun. Keep the game, try it again in a year or so.

mis3ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mis3ry
Member since 2004 • 5664 Posts
It won't install on my new computer for some reason. I wanted to play it :(
Lecithin67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lecithin67
Member since 2006 • 49 Posts
Its funny cuz my younger brother plays it all the time. Its odd cuz I swear he messes with the zombie guys by waiting until the last second to run away, but never shooting them...
snobas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 snobas
Member since 2007 • 287 Posts
Doom 3 didn't scared me or shocked me... AvP 2 scared me ****
blue_sparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blue_sparks
Member since 2006 • 205 Posts

Doom 3 didn't scared me or shocked me... AvP 2 scared me ****snobas

...and AVP original scared me ****less even more than that. Doom 3 scared the crap out of me for the first few levels, but then I got used to it. Of course, things got less scary when I got my shotgun :)

This sounds really retarded, but if you have trouble with scary games, try turning off the sound.

inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
come on. doom3 wasnt even that scary
lead_healer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 lead_healer
Member since 2007 • 108 Posts

You guys play Doom with the sound off or something? :P

I only found the human campaigns scary in AVP. Predator and aliens had too good of vision.

0alex0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 0alex0
Member since 2003 • 317 Posts
I too am too scared to play Doom 3. I made it to the part where you have to go get the scientist (very beginning) then things started jumping out of no where, and I quit. I have played that far on several occasions and just can't get my self to pass it :(. I really want to play it, but too much of a pansy when it comes to scary stuff (besides haunted houses for some reason).
nightharvest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nightharvest
Member since 2005 • 1782 Posts

I remember seeing a video on Youtube of some poor soul playing DOOM 3 in a dark room, and screaming his head of everytime an altered beast burst onto the screen.

Being scared is good. It releases adrenalin and eats off kilojoules like nothing else. And in the end, we can all gaurantee you'll walk away from the PC alive. Go on, be frightened and enjoy the experience.

8)

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#48 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts

I am so glad someone bought this up. I have just installed Doom 3 again, and although I want to play, I find myself being scared.

I don't mind the big monsters or the zombies. It's the small spiders that scare me. I have arachnophobia, I don't think I will ever play Dark Messiah.

So anyway, I guess it's a little comforting to know that there are other people scared as well, even if they are for different reason. I just wish I could get over this phobia and play this great game.

Like someone in this thread said, I am going to walk away from PC alive, so I should experience some harmless fear every now and then. Also with Xfire enabled, I could talk to friends every now and then, that's a huge help.

Well, I hope to get through this game one way or another. It's really a shame that I can't enjoy it like other people.

vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts
No game has scared me in my entire life but the Alone in the Dark games, I've been playing since 5.
Angurvadal_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Angurvadal_88
Member since 2005 • 704 Posts

DooM 3 was sick back in the day, but the only game that TRULY FRIGHTENED me was Silent Hill 1 and 2. Jesus Christ. You know what the WORST THING WAS ABOUT THAT GAME? GOING THROUGH A DOOR INSIDE A BUILDING (apartment/school/hospital/hotel). Gather round, and listen to me tale (read the below with a serious state of mind).

When the door resists opening, and a subtitle appears reading "The lock appears to be broken," you suddenly feel RELIEVED. You then continue to walk further down the silent corridor, find another door, hesitate for a moment, then press the button on the controller.

You hold your breath for a split second.

The door UNLOCKS. The blood drains from your face. You are now confronted with a black loading screen with a calm, steady motion of white footprints.

The screen fades.

You are standing alone in a previously unexplored room. The radio suddenly and unexpectandly screeches in protest.

You hear a groan.

YOU SH** YOURSELF, DROP THE CONTROLLER, SPRINT OUT OF THE ROOM, AND ASK YOUR ELDER BROTHER TO PLAY THE GAME FOR YOU.

I hope you enjoyed me tale! Hahaha I enjoyed it. Sorry, I just had to share this with everyone :D That's actually seriously true though (apart from the sh***ing part), an experience from when I was younger, and it probably would still happen if I played the game again (which I seriously doubt I'll ever do).