IL-2 Sturmovik the best?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for czechgangster44
czechgangster44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 czechgangster44
Member since 2008 • 419 Posts

i really want some class of old air combat game and this looks like a winner, but you guys are the best judges so, is it a good game? does it run well on vista?

all responses are very much liked.

-czechgangster

howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

I would also like to know. I would pick it up as it is only $20 for the 1946 version that has all 5 games, but I tried the demo and for some reason my joystick wouldn't work with it. It works fine with all my other sim and flying games.

Oh and CFS2 is a good WW2 flight sim, I like it alot. I think that and IL-2 Sturmovik are probably the best WW2 flight sims out there.

czechgangster44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 czechgangster44
thanks for adding to the list of people who want to know if the game is good.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts
Yes, it's definitely the best air combat sim out there. Most of the planes on the eastern front are represented, and some from the western front as well. It's not intended as an arcade-style flight game, however. If you ever plan on going online to play you'll need to just learn to play at full realistic settings with engine management, as this is what most servers run. Speaking of multiplayer, you'll be looking to Hyperlobby for all your online needs. And yes it's an active community, I have no problem finding servers at any time of the day or night. You'll definitely want a stick with a rudder twist axis if you don't have pedals, but get pedals if you can, it just makes the experience that much better. The maps are huge and beautiful, there are plenty of player-made campaigns on the web (and some damn good ones, too), as well as a dynamic campaign, so single-player options are pretty extensive. There isn't a WW2 combat flight sim, or a combat flight sim period that comes close to matching IL2 in popularity and execution. It's a no-brainer if you're looking for this kind of game, really.
czechgangster44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 czechgangster44
brokenrabbit, thank you sincerly for the indeth and proffesional insight. my father is a very adept flight sim user, playing the game X-plane, downloading real wheather and all, so i can get the equipment from him.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 br0kenrabbit
brokenrabbit, thank you sincerly for the indeth and proffesional insight. my father is a very adept flight sim user, playing the game X-plane, downloading real wheather and all, so i can get the equipment from him. czechgangster44
IL2 will take any equipment you want to throw at it. Throttle quadrants, TrackIR (headtracking), instrument clusters, whatever.
czechgangster44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 czechgangster44
sorry if i seem nit picky, but the amauter system we have is a standard joystick, pedals, for right left rudder movment, and that where it ends. should that do? i don't think i'm aware of any other kind of simulation device available on the market.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 br0kenrabbit
IL2:1946, which includes all the expansions, is only $10 on Steam.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 br0kenrabbit
sorry if i seem nit picky, but the amauter system we have is a standard joystick, pedals, for right left rudder movment, and that where it ends. should that do? i don't think i'm aware of any other kind of simulation device available on the market.czechgangster44
Yeah, that would work just fine. Use your mouse to look around the cockpit.
czechgangster44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 czechgangster44

okay. thank you, and i hope to have a just as good conversation with you some other time, over a different topic, goodbye, i'm retiring for the night to watch the big debate.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

IL-2 is very good, but not without flaws. The single player campaigns are pretty repetative and oftentimes the missions don't make a lot of sense. They're randomly generated, so you might get 4 "fly to your new base" missions in a row. Sound is poor and the game feels kind of empty. In randomly generated missions, you might be ordered to stop a Soviet armoured attack. That attack invariably consists of 4 tanks rumbling along in a diamond formation. 4 tanks doesn't really convey the feeling of the mass combat on the eastern front.

Thankfully, there are a lot of great user-made scenarios and campaigns that do a much better job.

Multiplayer is really where the game shines. You will hear a lot of complaining about the game's flight models and the lack of moddability, but that's actually the game's strength. The fact that it's very hard to crack into the game code and mod it means the planes will feel the same on any server.

For me, it's a toss-up between IL-2 and Battle of Britain: Wings of Victory. IL-2 has much better flight models and a wider selection of aircraft but BoB:WoV has massive air battles with 300+ planes in the air and feels like a much more immersive experience. No multiplayer though and the flight model is a bit dodgy. On the plus side, the AI in BoB is fantastic. AI in IL-2 is predictible and it cheats.

czechgangster44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 czechgangster44
if i understand correctly there are no mods for this game? also to hit two topics with one comment, is Lock On: Modern Air Combat worth a try, i found it for a good value so i'm wondering if it makes ense to pick it up along with IL-2 Sturmovik.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

Best Flight Sim Ever. Others can't even compare.

Random missions = Long Singleplayer (Huge replay value). Battlefield changes depending on how you do.

Active Multiplayer Base (use hyperlobby).

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bogaty

if i understand correctly there are no mods for this game? also to hit two topics with one comment, is Lock On: Modern Air Combat worth a try, i found it for a good value so i'm wondering if it makes ense to pick it up along with IL-2 Sturmovik.czechgangster44

There are lots of mods in the form of user made missions and aircraft skins, background screens, etc. However, the actual game code is lcoked so there are no mods which change the flight models, ballistics physics, damage modelling, and the like.

EricScionti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 EricScionti
Member since 2007 • 114 Posts
So is it possible to get this game set up on hyperlobby with the Steam version? I've been having troubles locating the game in my directory and getting online.
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bogaty
It is. One problem some people have is that they select IL-2 on hyperlobby which is actually the old, first version of the game. You want to select Forgotten Battles on Hyperlobby and then point to the file called il2fb.exe in your game directory.
tcarruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tcarruth
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts

Its a great, great game but not for anyone who is remotely casual. If you want to appreciate it, buy a TrackIR and go online and learn just how bad you are at virtual flying. Seriously, the online learning curve is the steepest I have ever encountered. I've heard people say things like this about COD4, trust me there is no comparison.

czechgangster44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 czechgangster44

I have purchased the game, and it's as definitly as good as you all say it was going to be. I have completly stayed away from the multiplayer because I realize the learing curve that exists, and in my busy schedual i favor a quick fragging in BF2, over a quick period of being licked by everyother ace in the community. Iguess it's something i gotta grow into, or wait until i have enough time for.

Now for one last question; Is their some site that has instructional videos or pictures+writing to explain the flight manuvers to unskilled twit like me? I understand the moves like the barrel role and and the corkscrew(the one used to slow down so that you don't over shoot a enemy aircraft) but i still seem to be geeting bested in a Mig, when fighting a few bi-planes. I will scoure You-Tube, but i think that it will only go skin deep, and i'm looking for a more militarily tried and try manual type anyway.

I know i keep dragging this discussion on and on, but everytime a new question pops into my head, so please bear with me.

-Peace

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bogaty

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php

http://www.airwarfare.com/phpBB2/index.php

Check this page and if you'll scroll down, you'll see 6 part series on tactics for flying in IL-2.

MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts
Me personally, I enjoyed Jane's USAF more than IL-2 but mostly because I'm more into the modern jets then the WW2 fighters. Still an amazing game though.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#21 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Try Crimson Skies - very easy to get into! And it has a lot of personality!
albertafox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 albertafox
Member since 2004 • 165 Posts

Best WW2 sim yes. Others are close but usually are missing the combined package that IL2 1946 offers.

Some of the other games do offer some amazing experiences and should be played also.(like BOB2)

Four years playing IL2 and it still teaches me something everytime I play.

There is also the UBI.com forums with links to great resources.

If you get hooked on it, there are some amazing things that can be done to improve your immersion into the game.

3rd Party programs for Instrument panel/gauges on a second monitor, Adjusting axis bands for your input devices,

Voice activation, touch screen....

There is also a vast assortment of missions that are designed by the public to assist in each step of learning.

For example: Learning take off - starting with a wide open field - then a shorter runway, then cluttered runway then finally the

aircraft carrier take off...

IL2 in-game setup will only accept four devices for inputs unless your use something like Saiteks(or other) macro software and bind keys.

I use Saiteks x52pro hotas, two throttle quadrents, pro flight pedals, command pad, TrackIR, A&B simpit with second monitor displaying gauges.

(TrackIR is probably the second most useful item besides a HOTAS. Also works with many non-flight games like Arma, Insurgency, Trackmania,

GTR series, and functions like key/mouse binds to head movements)

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts
Il2 1946 is the best WW2 combat sim...definitly get it...then there's Falcon 4.0 Allied Force (modern), Lock On: Modern Air Combat (modern), FSX (best sim available), and a new release called DCS: Black Shark...Those are the best atm.
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bogaty

IL2 in-game setup will only accept four devices for inputs unless your use something like Saiteks(or other) macro software and bind keys.

I use Saiteks x52pro hotas, two throttle quadrents, pro flight pedals, command pad, TrackIR, A&B simpit with second monitor displaying gauges.

albertafox

Damn....Nice set up. How long does it take you to unhook yourself should you need to answer the phone or the door? I thought I was bad with the headphones, mic, and track IR.

NB, never answer the door with your trackIR hat and sensors still on. Tends to frighten the natives.

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LTZH
If I got the TrackIR my GF would leave me. It would look really bad with all the other expensive stuff I have in my room.
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bogaty
I'd say it's a fair trade. Once you've used a TrackIR, you'll wonder how the hell you were ever able to fly without one. Besides, they're very small and look almost like a webcam. Maybe she won't even notice....
LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LTZH
I'd say it's a fair trade. Once you've used a TrackIR, you'll wonder how the hell you were ever able to fly without one. Besides, they're very small and look almost like a webcam. Maybe she won't even notice....bogaty
Your tempting me...BAH! screw the gf, I want to flight sim!
TheWizard_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheWizard_1
Member since 2009 • 63 Posts
Yes,it's a very good game,though the single-player isn't much good,online is where this game shines IMHO,since Campaign Missions can be repetitive and the AI cheats,it can fly old biplanes straight up for several hundred meters without losing much Energy,as if there planes are using some special Boost...