If Steam go bankrupt, what about my games=?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Walincas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Walincas
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

As the title asks, what will happen if steam make some bad business decisions and close down the company? or even if steam gets sold to a competitor in the future, who buys steam, and close it down, in order to eliminate competition?

Will all my games be lost, or can I still get the games from the develepors, without paying again?

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

This question has been asked over 9000 times before. A simple steam forum search would answer your question.

Valve said they would patch the games to not require steam to run anymore so you could download them and back them up.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Competition can't afford Steam because it's at the top. If Steam goes under then people will stop asking themselves such question. (because it's been asked so much it's pathetic)
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

If steam goes bye-bye so do your games. There is some statement made years ago that if that should happen they would release patches to all the games so you could continue to play them, but this is NOT in their EULA and they are under no legal obligation to do so. Also, if they went belly up you wouldn't be able to download your games anyways so you would have to have them all downloaded and backed up prior to their closing down...so if you missed that window prior to their closing too bad so sad.

I happen to really like steam and use them a lot, but we are using it under good faith. Legally we are simply renting games from steam and if the service is gone, so are our games. They are under no legal obligation to provide us our games if something was to happen to the service.

ATastyBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ATastyBurger
Member since 2008 • 416 Posts
Valve wouldn't screw their customers.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Renevent42
If they went belly up we wouldn't be their customers anymore.
hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

The service is too profitable to die, it made something like a billion dollars in revenue last year, and it's increasing every year. Valve also makes more money per employee than Google or Apple, so I doubt they will sell out. If worse comes to worst and Valve does go bankrupt a competitor will buy out Steam and continue the service, it's simply too big to just 'throw out', it will always exist in some form.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Seeing that Valve is the single most profitable company per employee in the world, I don't think you have to worry about them going out of business. Ever.

Unlike other services, Valve would be willing to adapt to new formats and new platforms. So if there is a new, better way of playing games, you can bet Valve will be all over it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
So do what any level-headed person would do and buy a 1TB portable hard drive and backup all your games on it. You are legally entitled to do this through Steam. Of course, the idea of such a profitable system going out of business is kind of silly.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Renevent42

There's been a million things in history that are too big/profitable/strong/ect to fail that have failed...Steam is no different. I don't think it will happen, and the chances are pretty slim, but it's a fact that Steam is subject to the same risks as any other company out there. I can think of a few different scenarios that could effect steam's chances of survivability...but it's the scenarios no one can think of that usually takes down a company.

Also, backing up your games to a 1TB HD would be useless if there was no steam to authenticate your game for the 1st time (all steam games require this). You would either have to resort to cracks or hope Gabe makes good on his promise...of course he is not legally obligated to do so.

Jane_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Jane_22
Member since 2011 • 678 Posts

Its like saying Google will shut down or Apple.

The day Steam will die, PC gaming will die with it

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts
they'll screw over at least 80% of the pc market if this happens. almost everyone i know that plays pc games rely on steam to buy a lot of their games.
Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#13 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

I cannot forsee steam failing in the next 10 years. In the event that they do, they have assured us that a patch will be released to allow us to use our games without steam.

Boomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Boomer
Member since 2002 • 122 Posts

Not a single thing would change if you have the games backed up since you can already play them without ever needing steam to authenticate the games. How do you think people downloading illegally play steam games. We would not get anymore great deals I guess that would change.

And no need to buy a hard drive just burn the game to a disk which is allowed for backup, they even have it built into Steam.

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Batang_X990

I cannot forsee steam failing in the next 10 years. In the event that they do, they have assured us that a patch will be released to allow us to use our games without steam.

Brendissimo35
thats a relief =] i wish steam never tanks though. it's one of the best things that pc has in the game department.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

We will probably lose all our steam games but on the bright side since since its all digital no physical damage can be done to your games so if a tsnumai or fire destroys all your things your steam games are safe.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Worrying about Valve going bankrupt is like worrying about Microsoft going bankrupt. It almost certainly won't happen.

In the phenomenally unlikely event it ever did happen, some other major company would surely take over Steam.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Steam going bankrupt.. Good joke, just because of the name alone steam would be bought by another company and the service would continue. I don't think we ever have to be worried.
yourmajesty90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 yourmajesty90
Member since 2006 • 1420 Posts

The question is how can Valve go bankrupt? If this gets replies, we will know the early symptoms of the bankruptcy.

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Batang_X990

Worrying about Valve going bankrupt is like worrying about Microsoft going bankrupt. It almost certainly won't happen.

In the phenomenally unlikely event it ever did happen, some other major company would surely take over Steam.

broken_bass_bin
activision :P?
LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

The question is how can Valve go bankrupt? If this gets replies, we will know the early symptoms of the bankruptcy.

yourmajesty90

They either devalue their own product in some way, e.g. it becomes less reliable, hugely less competitive in terms of price etc. or a competitor comes along that offers a far superior service (in the same way Steam currently blitzes GFW, for example) that developers are willing to integrate into their games.

That's usually how profitable companies rapidly go out of business.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

I use to hate steam, back in the day.. But Steam can be a powerful tool... Its a great interface, and they have fantastic deals, an their library of games expands every week!

I have grown to really love steam... I have a steam account worth close to $900, and prolly paid $250 for it.

Not to mention it is a superior management of resources and energy over retail copies... (which not having to pay for shipping, or the plastics for the cases, or the paper for the books, or plastics/films for the discs) they can afford to sell it for awesome deals like they do almost every week!

They are very profitable, this is the thing that matters if a company goes under, that and when (not if) the currency around the globe devalues into nothing, (but at that point gaming is something that is minor compared to other consequences.

Even if they were to go under, this is digital technology, meaning they could release patches not requiring Steam to run all of the games.. The question is, how honorable is a creature suffocating, trying to reach air, it will do what it can to survive (honorable or not, ethical or not) Companies going bankrupt are the same... Translation how much will their care for the pc gamer be, when they can no longer care for themselves, The patches can only be done if its done before the "going under" So they have to see it coming, lets hope when/if it happens, that they have the foresight and compassion to do so (legally obligated or not companys get around legal every hour of every day)!

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

In the long run, we are all dead.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you. In the short term of at least, nothing is going to take Valve down.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I'm certain they answered that question in the Steam Forums with saying that IF it ever happened then they would make sure all the games you've bought can be backed up, Possibly letting you put all the games on a external or internal hard drive with sufficient space. Of course I doubt Steam will be gone anytime soon as it is the leading Digital distribution system with it's revenue rocketing.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

As the title asks, what will happen if steam make some bad business decisions and close down the company? or even if steam gets sold to a competitor in the future, who buys steam, and close it down, in order to eliminate competition?

Will all my games be lost, or can I still get the games from the develepors, without paying again?

Walincas
By the time that happens: - We will be up to Windows 249 - You will be dead - The games will be so old that they won't work anyway with Windows 249
Walincas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Walincas

This question has been asked over 9000 times before. A simple steam forum search would answer your question.

Valve said they would patch the games to not require steam to run anymore so you could download them and back them up.

simardbrad

Roflmao.

So you want me to get the question from the only place in the world, that is really die hard wishing everything will be pretty pink :P

Why do even have a legal system? its very exspensive, lets just ask the criminals if they did the crime or not, that will be much cheaper than have to pay policemen, lawyers and judges!

To the rest of you guys who answered my questions, thanks alot, I see you guys have different opinions wether we will be able to continue playing or not and that worries me a little, cuz I placed a good amount of $

wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts
If steam goes bankrupt.... lol
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

simardbrad
Funny how nobody ever links to this supposed Valve policy. The likely event is that you will lose them, but you still have the cd keys, which might could get you the game from the publisher. Realistically though, Valve will probably last as long as any of the current big publishers.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

um, its nowhere near in trouble now or the forseeable future.. so yeah

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

[QUOTE="simardbrad"]

Walincas

Roflmao.

So you want me to get the question from the only place in the world, that is really die hard wishing everything will be pretty pink :P

Why do even have a legal system? its very exspensive, lets just ask the criminals if they did the crime or not, that will be much cheaper than have to pay policemen, lawyers and judges!

To the rest of you guys who answered my questions, thanks alot, I see you guys have different opinions wether we will be able to continue playing or not and that worries me a little, cuz I placed a good amount of $

wth are you talking about, why wouldnt you get the answer from the company who runs the damn service? Lets ask a bunch of internet trolls what they think first!
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="broken_bass_bin"]

Batang_X990

activision :P?

/glove slap shame on you for even conjuring up that thought! :D

covertgamer78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#32 covertgamer78
Member since 2005 • 1032 Posts
I don't see Steam folding anytime soon. With their sales, they will probably be in biz a long long time.
tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

If valve goes bankrupt and steam shuts down, honestly I would stop gaming on my pc

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

If valve goes bankrupt and steam shuts down, honestly I would stop gaming on my pc

tutt3r
WHAT???? And Blizzard? BioWare? They don't deserve? :)
Walincas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Walincas

[QUOTE="Walincas"]

[QUOTE="simardbrad"]

TerrorRizzing

Roflmao.

wth are you talking about, why wouldnt you get the answer from the company who runs the damn service? Lets ask a bunch of internet trolls what they think first!

I was trying to be ironic, but let me make it more clear.

I will not be asking the question to the ones who run the service, because they are earning money and will probably say what is in their interest.

The reason I was using the criminal as a metaphor, was for the fun of it. If we ask a criminal if he did the crime he got convicted for, he will probably tell you he is innocent- and the same goes for Steam.

That is why I will not ask the question to the guys who run the service.

sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts
Valve wouldn't screw their customers.ATastyBurger
*cough* half life, l4d2 *cough* Nah but seriously there is no other game company i would back as the most loyal to its customers
amekhov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 amekhov
Member since 2007 • 987 Posts

Valve going bankrupt is not farfetched at all; they are in one of the most volatile industries out there. Bankruptcy doesn't only occur due to low sales and things like that, there are a hundred variables.

scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#39 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
Steam would be bought by Activision before it ever had the chance to go bankrupt, and we'd all be charged for a "Premium Pass" ($7.99/mo) in order to access Steam sales where the highest discount is 10% off (and that discount is reserved for indie games) :|
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

if a hippo came into my room and crapped skittles in my face, what about my games?

my point is that its not likely to happen, in case anyone was wondering.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Steam isn't going anywhere. Why are you worried?

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

Im pretty sure this is in Steams FAQ. They say they will release a patch to disconnect all games from steam if this was ever to happen. Altho considering valve is the most profitable company in the world per employee I dont see that happening.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 1076751
Member since 2008 • 328 Posts

lol You should worry about world war III or the end of the internet first hahaha