If I uninstall iTunes and reinstall it, will my library still exist?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts

Yes, I am aware that my question is a bit n00bish and it pertains to software and not hardware, but I'm really curious and I didn't feel like going over to iLounge.

So does anyone know?

Thebettafish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Thebettafish
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts

Short answer: Yes

Long Answer: There is some risk of losing some of your music if you do not have it all managed by iTunes. For me, iTunes automatically takes any song I import and copies it to the iTunes directory. If this is the case, in the event that your iTunes library data file gets deleted, all you would have to do is reimport the folder iTuens Music which will never get deleted upon uninstall. If you want consolidate your library (put all songs in the database into the iTunes Music folder) click on File > Library > Consolidate. On older versions of iTunes it's Advanced > Consolidate Library.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to uninstall and reinstall? You should just be able to upgrade.

-Betta

atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 atm0073
If the iTunes library data file gets deleted when I uninstall, then I guess that isn't an option :(... I am aware of the option to copy my music to an iTunes designated folder, but never wanted to use the option because I was afraid of HDD space and didn't feel like going over to delete all my downloads once they were copied to the folder. Is there any way to copy all my music to a single folder through iTunes? 'Cause a lot of my music is scattered around in different folders and readding them to an entirely new iTunes library would be impossible. The main reasons I want to reinstall are the facts that I'm having major album art issues (iTunes sometimes doesn't recognize my album art and even deletes it on its own), and for some reason, every time I open up iTunes, its settings reset (the window you see when you first install iTunes comes up every time).
atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 atm0073
Oh sorry I sort of misunderstood what you said; the answer to my question about being able to copy all of my music to a single folder would be to "consolidate my library" right?
atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 atm0073
And what exactly do you mean when you say there's a risk of losing music that "isn't entirely managed by iTunes"? All my music was put into iTunes via drag-and-drop, and it's in the library, so will I be able to keep all of it there?
Thebettafish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Thebettafish
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts

And what exactly do you mean when you say there's a risk of losing music that "isn't entirely managed by iTunes"? All my music was put into iTunes via drag-and-drop, and it's in the library, so will I be able to keep all of it there?atm0073

If you consolidate your library, it will copy all music to the iTunes Music folder. If your iTunes library file gets deleted (which it shouldn't) all the music will be there, it just has to recreate it by readding the files to it. In your case though, it doesn't sound as iTunes is broken, but the iTunes library is. Consolidate your library like I suggested, and then delete the iTunes library file (it's called itunes.itl or something, should be in the folder iTunes Music). Delete it, reopen iTunes, do File > Add folder to Library and click on the iTunes Music folder.

-Betta

atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 atm0073

[QUOTE="atm0073"]And what exactly do you mean when you say there's a risk of losing music that "isn't entirely managed by iTunes"? All my music was put into iTunes via drag-and-drop, and it's in the library, so will I be able to keep all of it there?Thebettafish

If you consolidate your library, it will copy all music to the iTunes Music folder. If your iTunes library file gets deleted (which it shouldn't) all the music will be there, it just has to recreate it by readding the files to it. In your case though, it doesn't sound as iTunes is broken, but the iTunes library is. Consolidate your library like I suggested, and then delete the iTunes library file (it's called itunes.itl or something, should be in the folder iTunes Music). Delete it, reopen iTunes, do File > Add folder to Library and click on the iTunes Music folder.

-Betta

Muchos gracias