• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pharomarc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 pharomarc
Member since 2003 • 276 Posts
If games like Halo 2 and Crysis are using DX9 why aren't they compatible with XP?
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#2 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
I have not seen anything to suggest that Crysis will be Vista only. And besides, Crysis is BOTH DX9 and DX10. As for Halo 2, Microsoft said so. Nuf said.
ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ForlornHope
Member since 2006 • 1809 Posts
cause MS are idiots that insist on addding a bunch of crap almsot nobody cares about.
Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Jack_Summersby
Member since 2005 • 1444 Posts

If games like Halo 2 and Crysis are using DX9 why aren't they compatible with XP?pharomarc

MS most certainly could have made Halo 2 work on XP AND Vista. But if they didn't want to implement Live and Tray&Play on XP, they still could have made the game run on XP in the traditional way, and on Vista in the "new and improved" way.

THIS WOULD HAVE INCREASED THEIR AUDIENCE IMMENSLEY.

So you see, all those who say "but XP couldn't do Tray&Play or Live FTW!!!" miss the point. Halo 2 Vista could have been developed and sold. For a little more $$$, MS could have ALSO developed Halo 2 XP (with less features) and made a TON more money.

Therefore, I conclude that Halo 2 is a Vista-exclusive exclusively to push Vista, NOT because Halo 2 inherently required Vista.

It's all about pushing the new OS and requisite hardware upgrades (e.g. graphics cards).

EDIT: Crysis is not Vista exclusive.

Treadstone71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Treadstone71
Member since 2002 • 169 Posts

Crysis is XP compatible.  As for Halo2...  well, MS has a perfectly good OS in WinXP SP2.  At the moment, there's very little reason for anyone to upgrade to Vista.  Not corporations, and particularly not gamers.  Outside of the (relatively) small technophile group that has to have the latest of everything that comes out the most likely scenario is that not many people will upgrade, at least not in the numbers that MS is wanting.

What to do, what to do...  Well, take what's ostensibly your most popular game and port it to the PC and then make sure it runs on Vista only.  Now your average gamer who loves Halo2 and wants the PC version has to upgrade to Vista.  It's not quite as simple as "problem solved", but by making Halo2 "Vista Only", MS has probably raked in at least a quarter million more sales of Vista than they would have otherwise...

If memory serves, the technical reason is that Halo2 takes advantage of Vista's "Tray and Play" capabilities - ie you can pop the DVD in for the first time and be up and playing the game within minutes of inserting the disc.  ie, somehow, you can play the game at the same time that it's installing...

Do we care?  No.  But MS cares about the quarter million extra Vista sales...  ;)

ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ForlornHope

Crysis is XP compatible. As for Halo2... well, MS has a perfectly good OS in WinXP SP2. At the moment, there's very little reason for anyone to upgrade to Vista. Not corporations, and particularly not gamers. Outside of the (relatively) small technophile group that has to have the latest of everything that comes out the most likely scenario is that not many people will upgrade, at least not in the numbers that MS is wanting.

What to do, what to do... Well, take what's ostensibly your most popular game and port it to the PC and then make sure it runs on Vista only. Now your average gamer who loves Halo2 and wants the PC version has to upgrade to Vista. It's not quite as simple as "problem solved", but by making Halo2 "Vista Only", MS has probably raked in at least a quarter million more sales of Vista than they would have otherwise...

If memory serves, the technical reason is that Halo2 takes advantage of Vista's "Tray and Play" capabilities - ie you can pop the DVD in for the first time and be up and playing the game within minutes of inserting the disc. ie, somehow, you can play the game at the same time that it's installing...

Do we care? No. But MS cares about the quarter million extra Vista sales... ;)

Treadstone71

anyone uprooting themselves from XP just for that really is just STUPID. WOW. i really cant put it any other way. 

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
Crysis has mostly been on XP so far.. XD It should be one of the games to work really well in Vista though, since they're pushing it as a DX10 flagship title. It'd be hilarious if it sucked in Vista.
KingSigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 KingSigy
Member since 2003 • 634 Posts
Crysis is not a Vista exclusive, since even the systems at Crytek aren't running Vista. They certainly have Vista machines so that they can optimize the gameplay, but their main system still runs with XP. Crysis isn't going to jump ship until they absolutely must. Halo 2, on the other hand, is Microsoft's attempt at getting people to buy Vista. That is purely the reason why it is on Vista only.
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts
If games like Halo 2 and Crysis are using DX9 why aren't they compatible with XP?pharomarc
because they made halo 2 vista only so they can push this new windows live online service and crysis will work on XP
Unstoppable_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Unstoppable_1
Member since 2003 • 2005 Posts
Crysis will be Xp it's been said by the developers I believe. Halo 2 and Lost Planet are Vista only because Micro$oft loves to force consumers to buy into their new operating systems so they can rank in more $$$. It would perform better on Xp too which is the ironic thing. Don't buy into it Microsoft is evil.
Unstoppable_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Unstoppable_1

[QUOTE="pharomarc"]If games like Halo 2 and Crysis are using DX9 why aren't they compatible with XP?mastershake575
because they made halo 2 vista only so they can push this new windows live online service and crysis will work on XP

The live service dosen't even work right now. Plus you have to pay for it when most online pc games are free. I don't see Blizzard charging a dime for battle.net or the thousands of tournaments they host free of cost to those that join. That is a real company. Vivendi and Blizzard know how to do business without screwing the consumer. 

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Makari
The live service dosen't even work right now. Plus you have to pay for it when most online pc games are free. I don't see Blizzard charging a dime for battle.net or the thousands of tournaments they host free of cost to those that join. That is a real company. Vivendi and Blizzard know how to do business without screwing the consumer.Unstoppable_1
Link me to where you have to pay to use Windows Live. I'm sick of this.
Unstoppable_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Unstoppable_1
Hah you haven't heard? As for what I meant of course Live Gold will cost 50$ a year. You can use silver but don't bet on being able to play with others. Link in 5 mins.
Unstoppable_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Unstoppable_1

and I quote
"Since LIVE wasn't working, I had to make do with creating a temporary profile (any attempt to sign into my Xbox Live account was met with a "can't connect to LIVE" error message) that warned me that because I'm not on LIVE, I can't get any achievements. That sort of took the wind out of my sail, right after I felt kinda good about being able to play the game while it installed."

end quote 

Features that don't even work, unacceptable.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/halo-2/790581p1.html

As for the 50$ charge here it is.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/games-for-windows/games-for-windows-+-live-gold-to-cost-50-244045.php

Considering the game is 3 years old, the least they could of done was have live gold for free a couple of years. I mean it's a 3 year old game, we're paying a premium price, why not free online? They want more $$$. 56 billion dollars Mr. Gates, share the wealth.  

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Makari
Silver lets you play with others. Gold gives you the ability to play with 360 users. That means... Uno and Shadowrun. Whoopie! So now, where do you have to pay for silver?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58503 Posts

BEcause Halo 2 for the PC was a big fat global scam so Stan Marsh and the Scientologists can make one million dollars!

Seriously, though, Halo 2 is a scam...at its best its a testbed for all the features Microsoft wants to incorporate into their games but shouldnt for atleast five years.

ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ForlornHope

Silver lets you play with others. Gold gives you the ability to play with 360 users. That means... Uno and Shadowrun. Whoopie! So now, where do you have to pay for silver?Makari

Youc ant even VOIP with silver. Its a joke. 

mclazyj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

#18 mclazyj
Member since 2003 • 4391 Posts

From the Games for Windows Live page:

Silver Acct.

• Free
  • Single Gamertag
  • Common Gamer Profile
  • Common Gamer Score
  • Single Player Achievements
  • Private Chat via Text and Voice
  • Common Friends List and Online Presence
  • PC Only Multiplayer Including Browsing a List of Active Games

Gold Acct.

• All of Silver
  • $49.95 for one year membership
  • Multiplayer Matchmaking With Friends
  • TrueSkill Matchmaking
  • Multiplayer Achievements
  • Cross Platform Gameplay

Also, the guy that said Lost Planet is only for Vista, I am not so sure considering the demo runs on XP.  Not well, but it does run on XP.

ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ForlornHope

Silver Acct.

• Free
  • Single Gamertag
  • Common Gamer Profile
  • Common Gamer Score

Gold Acct.

• All of Silver
  • TrueSkill Matchmaking

Also, the guy that said Lost Planet is only for Vista, I am not so sure considering the demo runs on XP. Not well, but it does run on XP.

mclazyj

PRIVATE CHAT WITH FREINDS!! Not in game voip! 

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Makari
[QUOTE="mclazyj"]

Silver Acct.

• Free
  • Single Gamertag
  • Common Gamer Profile
  • Common Gamer Score

Gold Acct.

• All of Silver
  • TrueSkill Matchmaking

Also, the guy that said Lost Planet is only for Vista, I am not so sure considering the demo runs on XP. Not well, but it does run on XP.

ForlornHope

...Huh. I just realized it doesn't mention VOIP on Gold, either. Does that mean they are just leaving it up to the developers to implement their own VOIP, unless they do cross-platform and need to follow MS's to chat with 360 users?
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
cause MS are idiots that insist on addding a bunch of crap almsot nobody cares about.ForlornHope
Agreed.
Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ein-7919
Member since 2003 • 3490 Posts
[QUOTE="mclazyj"]

Silver Acct.

• Free
  • Single Gamertag
  • Common Gamer Profile
  • Common Gamer Score

Gold Acct.

• All of Silver
  • TrueSkill Matchmaking

ForlornHope

Step 1: Chill out with the caps.  Mclazyj didn't even mention anything about VoIP...just the differences between Silver and Gold packages.

Step 2: It's kinda hard for MS to put in-game VoIP into games that it doesn't develop.  What you are talking about is a VoIP service that is run outside of the game (which is something that we've been told Gold will have...I believe the statement was XFire-like abilities).  Don't go blaming MS for something they can't control.  And seriously, out-of-game VoIP services like Vent and TeamSpeak are basically "private chat [channels] via text and voice."

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
I really find it hard to believe MS released Halo 2 to "push Vista sales".  They would have made WAAAAAY more money making it XP compatible.  Halo 2 is simply a game used to showcase various Vista features.  For the people who have Vista already...it's a nice way to showcase and display some of the newer features. 
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BounceDK
Halo 2 is simply a game used to showcase various Vista features. For the people who have Vista already...it's a nice way to showcase and display some of the newer features. dnuggs40
What can it showcase when it's even running on an old dx version (dx9b)? I'm lost.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dnuggs40

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]Halo 2 is simply a game used to showcase various Vista features. For the people who have Vista already...it's a nice way to showcase and display some of the newer features. BounceDK
What can it showcase when it's even running on an old dx version (dx9b)? I'm lost.

Tray and play, live, achievements, and I am sure others...

"I'm lost"

Yup...

BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BounceDK

[QUOTE="BounceDK"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"]Halo 2 is simply a game used to showcase various Vista features. For the people who have Vista already...it's a nice way to showcase and display some of the newer features. dnuggs40

"I'm lost"

Yup...

So basically useless stuff just like the OS itself. Lovely.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

Games for Windows Live -- only for Windows Vista.

Halo 2 Vista -- Games for Windows Live title.

It kinda works out if you have a brain.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Deihmos

[QUOTE="BounceDK"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"]Halo 2 is simply a game used to showcase various Vista features. For the people who have Vista already...it's a nice way to showcase and display some of the newer features. dnuggs40

"I'm lost"

Yup...

I find it weird that people spend money on DX 10 cards then prefer to stick with DX 9 on a 7 year old OS.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dnuggs40
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

[QUOTE="BounceDK"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"]Halo 2 is simply a game used to showcase various Vista features. For the people who have Vista already...it's a nice way to showcase and display some of the newer features. BounceDK

"I'm lost"

Yup...

So basically useless stuff just like the OS itself. Lovely.

That's your opinion (and thats fine and all), but maybe other people dont consider them useless.  Just a thought...

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Makari
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

[QUOTE="BounceDK"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"]Halo 2 is simply a game used to showcase various Vista features. For the people who have Vista already...it's a nice way to showcase and display some of the newer features. Deihmos

"I'm lost"

Yup...

I find it weird that people spend money on DX 10 cards then prefer to stick with DX 9 on a 7 year old OS.

i'd just consider it spending money on a really really powerful dx9 card :D kinda like buying a 9700 pro back in 2002 or a 9800 in 03, when dx9 wasn't really used to any effect in a big title until 2004 with Far Cry and HL2.
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BounceDK
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

[QUOTE="BounceDK"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"]Halo 2 is simply a game used to showcase various Vista features. For the people who have Vista already...it's a nice way to showcase and display some of the newer features. Deihmos

"I'm lost"

Yup...

I find it weird that people spend money on DX 10 cards then prefer to stick with DX 9 on a 7 year old OS.

Because they kick ass in dx9 too. I've never seen a guy who goes out and buys a brand new graphics card just to play dx10 games, that's pretty dumb if you ask me.
General_Gustaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 General_Gustaf
Member since 2004 • 279 Posts

Can anyone read? It clearly states:

Silver Acct.

If you have a 360, then you have a unified gamertag and you only have to pay for Gold on one. It's one and the same.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dnuggs40
[QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

[QUOTE="BounceDK"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"]Halo 2 is simply a game used to showcase various Vista features. For the people who have Vista already...it's a nice way to showcase and display some of the newer features. BounceDK

"I'm lost"

Yup...

Because they kick ass in dx9 too. I've never seen a guy who goes out and buys a brand new graphics card just to play dx10 games, that's pretty dumb if you ask me.

Thats a very good point. 

Smithgdwg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Smithgdwg
Member since 2003 • 1886 Posts

Crysis is XP compatible.  As for Halo2...  well, MS has a perfectly good OS in WinXP SP2.  At the moment, there's very little reason for anyone to upgrade to Vista.  Not corporations, and particularly not gamers.  Outside of the (relatively) small technophile group that has to have the latest of everything that comes out the most likely scenario is that not many people will upgrade, at least not in the numbers that MS is wanting.

What to do, what to do...  Well, take what's ostensibly your most popular game and port it to the PC and then make sure it runs on Vista only.  Now your average gamer who loves Halo2 and wants the PC version has to upgrade to Vista.  It's not quite as simple as "problem solved", but by making Halo2 "Vista Only", MS has probably raked in at least a quarter million more sales of Vista than they would have otherwise...

If memory serves, the technical reason is that Halo2 takes advantage of Vista's "Tray and Play" capabilities - ie you can pop the DVD in for the first time and be up and playing the game within minutes of inserting the disc.  ie, somehow, you can play the game at the same time that it's installing...

Do we care?  No.  But MS cares about the quarter million extra Vista sales...  ;)

Treadstone71

Boy, what a smart idea. So the first time you start playing the game it will be running a lot slower because it has to install at the same time.  Then people will think the game or their computer sucks, when in fact its just this crappy new feature that is worthless.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Deihmos
[QUOTE="Treadstone71"]

Crysis is XP compatible. As for Halo2... well, MS has a perfectly good OS in WinXP SP2. At the moment, there's very little reason for anyone to upgrade to Vista. Not corporations, and particularly not gamers. Outside of the (relatively) small technophile group that has to have the latest of everything that comes out the most likely scenario is that not many people will upgrade, at least not in the numbers that MS is wanting.

What to do, what to do... Well, take what's ostensibly your most popular game and port it to the PC and then make sure it runs on Vista only. Now your average gamer who loves Halo2 and wants the PC version has to upgrade to Vista. It's not quite as simple as "problem solved", but by making Halo2 "Vista Only", MS has probably raked in at least a quarter million more sales of Vista than they would have otherwise...

If memory serves, the technical reason is that Halo2 takes advantage of Vista's "Tray and Play" capabilities - ie you can pop the DVD in for the first time and be up and playing the game within minutes of inserting the disc. ie, somehow, you can play the game at the same time that it's installing...

Do we care? No. But MS cares about the quarter million extra Vista sales... ;)

Smithgdwg

Boy, what a smart idea. So the first time you start playing the game it will be running a lot slower because it has to install at the same time. Then people will think the game or their computer sucks, when in fact its just this crappy new feature that is worthless.

Actually it did not make a difference while I was playing and it installed in the background. I think it was running off the CD while the game copied to the hard drive plus it did not take long at all. I have a dual core so maybe that is what made the difference.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a crappy feature because you do have the option to do a regular install. Those who cannot wait to play can pop the disc in and start playing within seconds.

Erlkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Erlkoenig
Member since 2006 • 715 Posts

So, if I understand this right: Halo2 needs Live, and Live only only runs on Vista.

The question is: why can't Games for Windows Live run on XP?

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Makari

So, if I understand this right: Halo2 needs Live, and Live only only runs on Vista.

The question is: why can't Games for Windows Live run on XP?

Erlkoenig
that's probably pure marketing on MS's part, yeah. they could likely get games for windows live working on OSX if they wanted to. :P
l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts

Crysis will be Xp it's been said by the developers I believe. Halo 2 and Lost Planet are Vista only because Micro$oft loves to force consumers to buy into their new operating systems so they can rank in more $$$. It would perform better on Xp too which is the ironic thing. Don't buy into it Microsoft is evil.Unstoppable_1

First let me say I agreed that Microdorks made it Vista only to try and sell Vista. Whats funny to me though is I have Vista and I still won't be getting Halo 2. I just aint interested in a 3 year old game. Especially when we have ALOT of WAY better FPSers on the PC anyways.

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 l-_-l
Hah you haven't heard? As for what I meant of course Live Gold will cost 50$ a year. You can use silver but don't bet on being able to play with others. Link in 5 mins.Unstoppable_1
You will still be able to play others without getting gold. Gold makes it so you can play against Xbox360 owners, not that any PC gamer I know would care to play 360 owners. I for one could care less to play against 360 owners.
l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 l-_-l

[QUOTE="Makari"]Silver lets you play with others. Gold gives you the ability to play with 360 users. That means... Uno and Shadowrun. Whoopie! So now, where do you have to pay for silver?ForlornHope

Thats what public channels in teamspeak is for. :P
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Makari

[QUOTE="Makari"]Silver lets you play with others. Gold gives you the ability to play with 360 users. That means... Uno and Shadowrun. Whoopie! So now, where do you have to pay for silver?ForlornHope

Here we go, since all you guys seem to have vanished from the other thread:
[QUOTE="mismajor99"]VOIP for instance, is a GOLD "privilege" under MS's train of thought, not a silver one, but we PC Gamers have had this for a very long time.Makari
Likewise on this, for how much screaming you've done about it. Do some research and make sure what you say is actually true before you say it, please. Here's a quote from an extremely negative article on ExtremeTech from almost two weeks ago (May 10th) that generally sums up my concerns:
Our Microsoft PR contact, who has been a good sport about this article, tells us that both the free Silver and paid Gold accounts for Live on the PC will have voice chat in games. There will be no difference at all in voice functions between free and paid accounts.ExtremeTech
Emphasis mine, but thank you so very much for doing your research before talking.

ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ForlornHope

[QUOTE="ForlornHope"]cause MS are idiots that insist on addding a bunch of crap almsot nobody cares about.BounceDK
Agreed.

woo :) 

ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ForlornHope
[QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

"I'm lost"

Yup...

Exactly. Even in a non native dx10 enviroment the cards would still have kick ass performance. 

ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ForlornHope
[QUOTE="ForlornHope"]

[QUOTE="Makari"]Silver lets you play with others. Gold gives you the ability to play with 360 users. That means... Uno and Shadowrun. Whoopie! So now, where do you have to pay for silver?Makari

[QUOTE="mismajor99"]VOIP for instance, is a GOLD "privilege" under MS's train of thought, not a silver one, but we PC Gamers have had this for a very long time.Makari
Likewise on this, for how much screaming you've done about it. Do some research and make sure what you say is actually true before you say it, please. Here's a quote from an extremely negative article on ExtremeTech from almost two weeks ago (May 10th) that generally sums up my concerns:
Our Microsoft PR contact, who has been a good sport about this article, tells us that both the free Silver and paid Gold accounts for Live on the PC will have voice chat in games. There will be no difference at all in voice functions between free and paid accounts.ExtremeTech
Emphasis mine, but thank you so very much for doing your research before talking.

What part of PRIVATE CHAT WITH FREINDS dont you understand? They DONT mean in game voip. 

Avatar image for deactivated-63cd1530c7768
deactivated-63cd1530c7768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#45 deactivated-63cd1530c7768
Member since 2003 • 917 Posts

Microsoft $uck$! CryTech shows him!

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Makari
[QUOTE="Makari"][QUOTE="ForlornHope"]

What part of PRIVATE CHAT WITH FREINDS dont you understand? They DONT mean in game voip.

lol, i can tell you actually read the link, yeah? the MS quote about there being no difference was in response to this, in the paragraph before: "Voice in games is for Gold members only... The problem is, PC gamers have had a lot of this stuff free for years. We've had integrated voice chat in games for nearly a decade, and it's been free in most games." READ. please. microsoft is trying to tell you something, if you'll listen. and if you use some critical thinking and check the 'no differences with voice' line, even if they don't touch VOIP in the games, that means they're NOT locking it down for gold members only and leaving it up to the devs. either way, according to the people actually making the program, it's not for gold members only. if gold can do it, silver can too.
ammusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ammusk
Member since 2004 • 218 Posts

xp has no dx 10 because of how the way xp works with graphics ... dx 10 was built from the ground up for vista

if microsoft wanted xp to have dx 10 they'd ave to release many patches for the core graphics which would be too much of a problem apparently 

so thats the main reason why xp have no dx 10 

ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ForlornHope
[QUOTE="ForlornHope"][QUOTE="Makari"][QUOTE="ForlornHope"]

[QUOTE="Makari"]Silver lets you play with others. Gold gives you the ability to play with 360 users. That means... Uno and Shadowrun. Whoopie! So now, where do you have to pay for silver?Makari

lol, i can tell you actually read the link, yeah? the MS quote about there being no difference was in response to this, in the paragraph before: "Voice in games is for Gold members only... The problem is, PC gamers have had a lot of this stuff free for years. We've had integrated voice chat in games for nearly a decade, and it's been free in most games." READ. please. microsoft is trying to tell you something, if you'll listen. and if you use some critical thinking and check the 'no differences with voice' line, even if they don't touch VOIP in the games, that means they're NOT locking it down for gold members only and leaving it up to the devs. either way, according to the people actually making the program, it's not for gold members only. if gold can do it, silver can too.

dont care its still something games have done for years for free anyways. 

llakallaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 llakallaka
Member since 2006 • 1230 Posts
1. MS thinks we are as dumb as to buy Vista only for a not worthy 50 $ 3-years old game...
2. Crysis IS FOR XP.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Makari
dont care its still something games have done for years for free anyways.ForlornHope
and MS continues to do it for 'free' (if having to own vista counts as free), despite what you spent the last week trying to tell people. at least now we actually know for sure! :) so now we have to wonder who thinks it's worth paying $50 a year to be able to get mtachmaking, multiplayer achievements and playing against 360 users. tough sell..