i7 2600K high temps

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

so it's been a week since i built this rig, and now i noticed that the temps of i7 2600K (stock clocks) are getting out of hand:

idle: 37C

load: 98C (yeah, i know...)

what might be causing it? using ASUS mATX board with Z77 chipset. also, i have GTX 560 SLI'd, and the other one is 75C under load, and the other one goes to 91C. funky rig...

e: stock CPU cooler. Fractal Define Mini case with stock fans.

Divedude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Divedude
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I built my new rig recently and put a Zalmans CNPS12X on mine and I am no where near these temps under load Might have a bad chip or you really need to get rid of that cooler. if you were to OC that chip you could barbecue on on it

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

Is there thermal paste applied? Only thing I can reall think of, or maybe there isn't good contact with the CPU (i.e. one of the clips isn't in right).

I would install an aftermarket cooler and see if that helps, I have the 2600K and it idles around 28 degrees celsius and when I game it usually only goes into the mid 40's to low 50's, and I've overclocked mine to 4.3 ghz.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

i remember my stock cooler for my 2600k sucked it also, but it usually stayed below 70c. Its so hard to know if you have a firm connection to the cpu with the crappy little turn pins they have on the heat sink... eventually i just decided to get a water cooler.

just get a Corsair hxx cooler, those things kick ass and even if your not overclocking they are totally worth it. u will have to take out the motherboard though to hook up the cooler though. watch a video on how to hook it up for some ideas where to position the fans and radiator and such, its so simple after watching a vid and seeing some pics of it.

its almost as if ur fan isnt working also... have u checked to see if its spinning?

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts
You have installed the stock cooler wrong, or the fan isn't running. No doubt about it. If the fan is running, you might not have the heatsink snapped in place properly. If you can't remedy the installation easily as it sits, you will have to take the cooler out, and put it back in. It has to be tight and flush. I have heard of people forgetting to remove the plastic cover over the bottom of the heatsink. I think the stock cooler comes with thermal paste on it, so you might have to clean that off withn a paper towel and put fresh on (any brand will do, but I use Zalman Super Thermal Grease ZM-STG1).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

you'd kinda rely on the fact that it sits correctly because of the way it locks to the mobo... anyway, i might try re-seating it. it only has the silicone paste that was pre-applied to the stock cooler. is that enough, or am i supposed to use more of it? i wouldn't like to get another cooler if the chip is faulty. it should stay below 70C even with stock cooler, right?

jpm27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 jpm27
Member since 2003 • 363 Posts

you'd kinda rely on the fact that it sits correctly because of the way it locks to the mobo... anyway, i might try re-seating it. it only has the silicone paste that was pre-applied to the stock cooler. is that enough, or am i supposed to use more of it? i wouldn't like to get another cooler if the chip is faulty. it should stay below 70C even with stock cooler, right?

groowagon

No, do not add any more paste to it. If anything, you should clean what's there off, and then apply new paste (as Blistrax mentioned). And yes, it should stay well under 70c. I have a 2700k that idles about 27-29c and hits load around 40c or so (granted I have an aftermarket cooler not the stock). Even with the stock cooler, you really shouldn't be anywhere near 70c. As others have mentioned, it seems that the cooler is not seated right.

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

groowagon
The paste that comes on it is fine for the initial installation. I was talking about if you have to take the cooler out, in which case you can't just stick it back in with the old paste and expect the paste to behave itself. If the chip was faulty, temperatures wouldn't enter into it---the PC wouldn't work. I think you're right about the temps.
Rhamsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rhamsus
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

so it's been a week since i built this rig, and now i noticed that the temps of i7 2600K (stock clocks) are getting out of hand:

idle: 37C

load: 98C (yeah, i know...)

what might be causing it? using ASUS mATX board with Z77 chipset. also, i have GTX 560 SLI'd, and the other one is 75C under load, and the other one goes to 91C. funky rig...

e: stock CPU cooler. Fractal Define Mini case with stock fans.

groowagon

The stock cooler simply is not up to the job. You really should look into an aftermarket setup.

42196.png

Here you can see at stock clock how the intel cooler stacks up. I use the H80 on an i7 3770k OC'd to 4.6k and idle at 29C.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5054/corsair-hydro-series-h60-h80-and-h100-reviewed/5

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts
My friend did this with his... He didn't push the pins in right. Make sure they are in locked posistion and that you hear a click. With a small pull you should tell if it's sercure or not on each pin.
Rhamsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rhamsus
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

My friend did this with his... He didn't push the pins in right. Make sure they are in locked posistion and that you hear a click. With a small pull you should tell if it's sercure or not on each pin.Truth_Hurts_U
On the stock cooler you want to make sure you see the black pin inserted in the semi opaque pins from the bottom of the mobo. Regardless tho, the stock cooler will not perform well enough over time. Sure the chip will work, but OC'ing and high load applications/games will kill the longevity of the chip.

Obiwan_1O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Obiwan_1O
Member since 2003 • 286 Posts

Is there thermal paste applied? Only thing I can reall think of, or maybe there isn't good contact with the CPU (i.e. one of the clips isn't in right).

I would install an aftermarket cooler and see if that helps, I have the 2600K and it idles around 28 degrees celsius and when I game it usually only goes into the mid 40's to low 50's, and I've overclocked mine to 4.3 ghz.

whitey_rolls

yeah if its a new build i would say the paste isnt on there properly

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

You've dun goof'd

Reseat.

streetridaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 streetridaz
Member since 2003 • 3276 Posts

you just need to reply paste and not use the stock paste on the stock cooler. If you wipe that off and reapply will will be much better. I don't break 50 degrees on a stock cooler overclocked to 4ghz on my work machine.

Kendog87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kendog87
Member since 2010 • 1111 Posts

Reseat the cooler.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

well this is somewhat embarrasing. i was just using "performance" settings from the BIOS. it apparently auto-clocks the CPU, and here i was thinking that it just affects the fan speeds... "problem" solved. thanks anyway, everyone!