I want some games like Saints Row series

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 xxninja666xx
Member since 2011 • 737 Posts

Yea, before you start posting all kinds of games with GTA-like sandbox mechanics, read this post with understandement because despite the title I'm looking for a different kind of game. I'm looking for a game like Saints Row, but not in aspect of gameplay mechanics. What I like about SR is its wacky, politically incorrect dark humor and I want games with a lot of jokes like this. Games that parody everything, everyone and even more in an obscene yet hilarious way, causing player to laugh non-stop. The game has to be an action game, a shooter/FPS or an RPG. Sandbox type gameplay appreciated but not necessary. I'm itching for this kind of game from the time I saw gameplays of Saints Row the Third and realized I won't be able to run it (because of s**tty optimization, as always), so please help me out.

What I've already played from this kind:

-Saints Row 2

-Postal 2

-Duke Nukem series

-Shadow Warrior

-Serious Sam series

My specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+

3 Gigs of RAM

GF 8600GT 256MB

Windows Vista 32-bit

alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

True Crime, either L.A or NYC. Driving is so brrzzzzzzzz.. but combat is somewhat fun.

It's not as bad as ppl say, but they changed the franchise name in sleeping dogs for a reason.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xxninja666xx
Read the OP, please. I said I didn't want similarities in mechanics but in humor.
alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 alan_carter

There should be some humour if u look for it.. just don't be picky cos ur specs don't give room to much.

Try Serious Sam, lot of humour in it

JC_AEK4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 JC_AEK4ever
Member since 2006 • 374 Posts

Noone Lives Forever 1 and 2

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xxninja666xx

Oh, I forgot to add Serious Sam to the list, sorry. I'll edit it right away. As for True Crime, I've played NYC and there wasn't any humor in it, just totally serious police story about a guy seeking for revenge.

@JC_AEK4ever

NOLF looks good, but is there really lots of humor and jokes? I'm not sure so I'm asking.

alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 alan_carter

Total Overdose. Mechanics are lolish but u can see the mexican hate towards gringos from miles.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xxninja666xx
In Total Overdose there wasn't much humor really. Just the special moves were funny (guy shooting from 2 guitars made me lol hard), but generally the game wasn't really fun.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

just cause 1 & 2 im serious

JC_AEK4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JC_AEK4ever

@JC_AEK4ever

NOLF looks good, but is there really lots of humor and jokes? I'm not sure so I'm asking.

xxninja666xx
"No One Lives Forever takes the impressive enemy artificial intelligence of Half-Life, the stealth features of Thief: The Dark Project, and the gadgetry of the console shooter GoldenEye 007 and then combines them all with a unique, colorful '60s setting and a great sense of humor. The resulting game's unrelenting inventiveness shows in virtually every aspect of its design." From gamespot's PC review.
xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xxninja666xx
I recall playing Just Cause 1, but can you tell me where can I find the humor part in the game? You can do incredible stunts like in Saints Row but nothing more tbh. Don't know how it is done in Just Cause 2. As I said before, what I liked about SR series is their totally crazy, racist, politically incorrect humor and lots of fun and wacky stuff to do and I want a game focused on the humor aspect.
alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 alan_carter

Try any game from Leisure suit larry franchise. There's lot of humour in boobies and seduction by a mini condom sized larry.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xxninja666xx
@alan_carter I don't like point n' click adventure games. @JC_AEK4ever Ok, so the humor part is present in the game. I'll consider getting it. For now the search still remains.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
Psychonauts. Brilliant humor, voice acting, level design, pacing, physics, art direction, you name it.
xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xxninja666xx
I remember playing it but didn't like it. Maybe I'll give it a second chance, though.
thphaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 thphaca
Member since 2005 • 202 Posts

Try something from the Postal series. I haven't looked at the recent Postal 3, but I remember the original Postal was kind of funny. It got terrible reviews, but it might be up your alley. You could of course kills strangers, but you could also piss on them and burn them if I recall correctly.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xxninja666xx
I've played Postal 2, Postal 1 didn't have humor at all and Postal 3 is called a turd in all possible reviews (even those made by Postal fans), what's more to say?
True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

Read the OP, please. I said I didn't want similarities in mechanics but in humor.xxninja666xx

Not really his fault. You should have said you wanted humourous / satiric games instead of 'games like SR3'. You could try the Magicka games, they are quite comedic

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xxninja666xx

[QUOTE="xxninja666xx"]Read the OP, please. I said I didn't want similarities in mechanics but in humor.True_Sounds

Not really his fault. You should have said you wanted humourous / satiric games instead of 'games like SR3'. You could try the Magicka games, they are quite comedic

I think it's rather his fault as he didn't read the op, which contained all the explanations including info that I want games in Saints Row's level of humor, parody and satire. As for Magicka, I don't really like hack n slash games when it comes to action RPGs, but I think I'll give Magicka a try and see how it's like.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts

[QUOTE="xxninja666xx"]Read the OP, please. I said I didn't want similarities in mechanics but in humor.True_Sounds

I second Magicka, I laughed quite a bit at the tongue-in-cheek humor it offered as well as just some of the monster noises(no spoilers), and of course things that happen accidentally as a result of the gameplay like casting a fireball on ice causing your friend playing COOP with you to drown in the ice cold water :P
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts
All of the four fallout games might fit depending on your sense of humor Fallout tend to have a strong humorous undertone, it's not as blatant or over the top as SR so it comes down to preference. The first two games are very old isometric RPG's while the last two are third person RPG / Shooter hybrids.
xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xxninja666xx
I've beaten Fallout 3 and New Vegas - never managed to complete the first two games. However I found some game fitting my criteria by myself - Bad Day LA. The game looks sick and its also has this vulgar, intolerant type of dark humor I love.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#23 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Old World Blues DLC for Fallout New Vegas is the funniest game ive played in years and years (also has the best diaologue writing since Planscape Torment).

Also make sure to keep an eye on SLEEPING DOGS! It comes out next month and from the looks of it, its definatly got alot of humor in it.

kathato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kathato
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Maybe here are some similar games for your: http://www.similargames.org/game/saints-row

Also with the same humor ;-)

JC_AEK4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JC_AEK4ever

Maybe here are some similar games for your: http://www.similargames.org/game/saints-row

Also with the same humor ;-)

kathato
Have you played any of these games? Max Payne 3, LA Noire and GTA 3 and 4? Really?
4-Legged-Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 4-Legged-Shark
Member since 2010 • 1031 Posts

Political incorrectness is something most developers seem to shy away from. It's a shame because I love it so dearly. I know you said in your OP not to reccomend games based on GTA-like mechanics, so I wont... but you never said not to reccomend GTA. I'm sure you have played them all already, but the politically incorrect humor to be found in the GTA games always entertains me. Apart from GTA and the other games mentioned in this thread, there is some odd humor to be found in Dead Rising (1 more so than 2) although most of that is just zany japanese humor- but some of it is clever satire, and some of it is just downright wrong.

takeiteazy3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 takeiteazy3
Member since 2008 • 743 Posts
Upgrade your PC
xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xxninja666xx

Political incorrectness is something most developers seem to shy away from. It's a shame because I love it so dearly. I know you said in your OP not to reccomend games based on GTA-like mechanics, so I wont... but you never said not to reccomend GTA. I'm sure you have played them all already, but the politically incorrect humor to be found in the GTA games always entertains me. Apart from GTA and the other games mentioned in this thread, there is some odd humor to be found in Dead Rising (1 more so than 2) although most of that is just zany japanese humor- but some of it is clever satire, and some of it is just downright wrong.

4-Legged-Shark
Yea, I've already played all the GTA games except 4. I can say, they were really entertaining, but some of them were too serious. San Andreas and Vice City had a lot of humour, but GTA 3 or Liberty City Stories didn't have it much. About Dead Rising - I think it'll be a good idea to get that game instead of Bad Day LA cause from what I've seen from gameplays so far, it's quite a crazy and humorous game with a lot of killing with wacky weapons. @takeiteazy3 If you'll be covering the expenses, then why not? :P
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Mechanically? Red Faction Guerilla. -It's from the same developers as Saints Row, and I'd outright say it's one of the better action games this gen - honestly better then Saints Row 3. Why? The destruction and scale of combat is glorious, and far beyond the standard GTA templateish games. In tone and humour? Bulletstorm. -It's hilarious in a very, very low brow way, it's well written (for what it is) and it's outright outrageous, self aware and over the top. Imo in this regard it's better than Saints Row 3.