I LOVE PC Gaming, do you?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Subcritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Subcritical
Member since 2004 • 2286 Posts

Do you love your PC too? :D

I'm sick of Xbox console gamers coming into this forum.  PC gaming is better in my opinion.  Why?

I love building my own gaming rig.  Its cheap, the hardware is awesome, and I love reading about new technology.

Using a mouse/keyboard, and having the ability to use just about any input device is great too.

I hate playing on the couch.  I'm hardcore, and I want the hardcore PC action right in my face.  10" away from my retina's.  But you can play on your couch if you wish.  It is an option with PC gaming.

I love the mod community.  They bring so many good things to video gaming.

I like the cheaper prices for games too.

Patches more often than not are a good thing.  Refinement yields better performance.

And how about when Epic released their extended map pack for UT 2003?  Free.  Gotta love it.  No online service to subscribe too.

Ah, there are so many things I love about PC gaming.  Don't you agree?

Let's have a PC love fest.  I'm tired of nitwits coming in here and spewing drivel.

PC is just fine by me.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Yes, I 'love' PC gaming. Well, I really like it anyway.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#3 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Why else would I be here? Well I can tell you it's not for the cookies 8)

All the points you listed a pretty good summary too
Platearmor_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Platearmor_6
Member since 2004 • 2817 Posts
I do find building your own rig makes you a little more attached to it rather than buying a box and pluging it in. But its the mods that make PC gaming better for me.
harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts
I do love my PC, I use for other things other than gaming, but it is really fast and I like keeping up with the games and technology. Of course, I love PC gaming also.
Fraser_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Fraser_b
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I much rather PCs over any console simply because of the keyboard and mouse.  The fact that you can also upgrade your PC when something goes out of date or whatever is also pretty sweet, if you have money which i dont.
the_hsoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_hsoj
Member since 2006 • 1289 Posts

nutcrackr

speak for yourself

those cookies are good mmm..

anyway i like pc gaming and all other types gaming except for gameboy gaming*shudders*

Avatar image for deactivated-5c20477a5e387
deactivated-5c20477a5e387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 deactivated-5c20477a5e387
Member since 2003 • 4291 Posts
I used to LOVE PC gaming, but now I just like it. Having more fun with my 360 at the moment and my most anticipated game right is a 360 game(Mass Effect).
inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts

I used to LOVE PC gaming, but now I just like it. Having more fun with my 360 at the moment and my most anticipated game right is a 360 game(Mass Effect)._Memento_

oh noes its teh xbox ppls.  get the gun

LordEvergreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LordEvergreat
Member since 2005 • 494 Posts

I love building my own gaming rig.  Its cheap, the hardware is awesome, and I love reading about new technology.

Subcritical

What the hell are you on? But apart from that yes I love pc gaming lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c20477a5e387
deactivated-5c20477a5e387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5c20477a5e387
Member since 2003 • 4291 Posts

[QUOTE="_Memento_"]I used to LOVE PC gaming, but now I just like it. Having more fun with my 360 at the moment and my most anticipated game right is a 360 game(Mass Effect).inyourface_12

oh noes its teh xbox ppls. get the gun

-_-
I am a PC Gamer as well, and many of my most favorite games are all on PC. But right now it's just not doing that great.
Subcritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Subcritical
Member since 2004 • 2286 Posts
[QUOTE="Subcritical"]

LordEvergreat

I just spent $1500.00 on upgrading my PC.  The last time I performed a major upgrade was 4 years ago.  Presently, this PC is more powerful than "next-gen" consoles. (8800GTX, 1gig RAM, Intel Duo 6600 oveclocked to 6800spec) So if this current rig lasts 4 years: 1500/4= $375.00 a year.  That's a pretty cheap hobby IMHO.  Also my PC does far, far more than a console. 

Console's end up costing jsut as much inf not more because game prices are higher.  Most don't consider that when they argue that console gaming is cheaper. 

Arcadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Arcadius
Member since 2002 • 959 Posts
[QUOTE="Subcritical"]

LordEvergreat

I think he meant BUILDING your own from BUYING your own. And yes, my ever changing PC, ADELA, agrees with me that gaming is best on her. :lol:
neonsuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 neonsuperstar
Member since 2003 • 441 Posts
I love building my own gaming rig.  Its cheap, the hardware is awesome, and I love reading about new technology.Subcritical
You're kidding right? Cheap? A rig to run today's games at high costs an arm and a leg. But i do agree, it keeps us more involved in the technology scene, even if we can merely drool at the latest hardware...
Pete5506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#15 Pete5506
Member since 2006 • 10112 Posts
PC gaming is the king
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
[QUOTE="Subcritical"]I love building my own gaming rig. Its cheap, the hardware is awesome, and I love reading about new technology.neonsuperstar
You're kidding right? Cheap? A rig to run today's games at high costs an arm and a leg. But i do agree, it keeps us more involved in the technology scene, even if we can merely drool at the latest hardware...

at your sig how do you have 16 gb of ram?
User10293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 User10293
Member since 2004 • 600 Posts
[QUOTE="Subcritical"]I love building my own gaming rig. Its cheap, the hardware is awesome, and I love reading about new technology.neonsuperstar

It's not expensive at all unless you need top of the line parts. If you stick with a midrange computer(which can play all games at high settings) then the costs go way down and it will only be a little more expensive than consoles.
rshake20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rshake20
Member since 2006 • 347 Posts
I love pc gaming.I just bought a few pc games last week.I started playing pc games 5 years ago and I have to say that pc games are great.
correiamicael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 correiamicael
Member since 2003 • 288 Posts
I have had my 360 for 2 monthes now and my Wii for 4 monthes now and their great, BUT noting can take my PC's spot.
commander1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 commander1122
Member since 2005 • 1165 Posts
y a PC game is the best ~~!!!!!!
commander1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 commander1122
Member since 2005 • 1165 Posts
y a PC game is the best ~~!!!!!!
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
Of course, PC gaming is the best.
death5ter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 death5ter
Member since 2005 • 1001 Posts

Yes! and actually PC Gaming showed me the way of knowing and understanding the PC World, from softwares to my own Hardware...

drblood1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 drblood1
Member since 2006 • 273 Posts
yeah i love pc gaming it owns all systems systems cant upgrade pcs can and we don need to buy new systems every year and can u say spam?
dimasdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dimasdw
Member since 2003 • 34 Posts
yes i lke PC gaming ..
PC gaming is cheap ? i think that is relative .
Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#26 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts
[QUOTE="neonsuperstar"][QUOTE="Subcritical"]I love building my own gaming rig. Its cheap, the hardware is awesome, and I love reading about new technology.achilles614

at your sig how do you have 16 gb of ram?

Its a joke he made.. I think he is getting tired of explaining that sig to peepz, though he may enjoy the extra attention it brings :P

Here is an inflation chart along with commentary on prices of consoles through the years:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060516-6843.html

The Neo-Geo was the most expensive: around $999 (adjusted for inflation)

Here is yet another article done by someone who compares the prices of the Wii, X-box 360, and PS3.. with an economic look at which one is better bang for your buck ;)

http://www.50pixelsofevil.com/Console-Wars-Price-Factor

Original article on the history of console pricing:

http://curmudgeongamer.com/2006/05/history-of-console-prices-or-500-aint.html

Now with these three links.. is a comp more expensive? Or about the same? Considering you CAN get games for free.. (Example: RTCW:ET)

soad_kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 soad_kickass
Member since 2006 • 212 Posts
Luv it very much..
laineter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 laineter
Member since 2006 • 815 Posts
Yeh of course I really love pc gaming and I love all the games here especially World of Warcraft. :D
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
I built my rig because of the FPS, but now i'm getting into other genres as well.
lukedogg69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lukedogg69
Member since 2003 • 138 Posts
Free games, free music, free movies, BETTER games, mods, the list goes on. A $600 pc, especially if you build it yourself for cheaper, has much more value than any console. You dont need an 8800 to play the newest games anyway, mid range 8 series and whatever ati/amd makes will be able to handle anything.
LazeRaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LazeRaider
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
PC gaming is the best by Far.  It has great games out now, and not to mention that there constantly coming out with new games with better technology attached to it!  Its a never ending cycle, plus u dont have put up with the whole buying of a new system every 3 to 4 years!  Which is GREAT!!!! 
Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#33 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts
i wish it was cheaperR-Dot-Yung

I wish I didn't have to pay 3,100 in car repairs for a 2yr old vehicle.. damn sports cars!
ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ElectricNZ
Member since 2007 • 2457 Posts
Free games, free music, free movies, BETTER games, mods, the list goes on. A $600 pc, especially if you build it yourself for cheaper, has much more value than any console. You dont need an 8800 to play the newest games anyway, mid range 8 series and whatever ati/amd makes will be able to handle anything.lukedogg69
mudman91878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mudman91878
Member since 2003 • 740 Posts
I never really understood the argument that PC gaming is so much more expensive than console gaming.  Sure, if you ONLY compare the cost of a console vs. the cost of a PC then it would appear that console gaming is cheaper.  However, that's a very shallow comparison. 

We PC people buy a PC, but it does a lot more than just play games.  All those people who buy consoles and then get on here and talk about how much cheaper it is...well....what do you think they are typing on?  If you buy a console you're pretty much forced to buy a PC to do internet stuff with.  All of the sudden it's not so cheap.  Also, what about that HDTV?  I'm pretty sure most of the monitors we play are are a lot, on average, cheaper than the HDTV's that the console guys are playing on.

IMO...the cost difference is not close enough that it's not worth discussing.

Now, if you want another reason why PC gaming is better...just look at all the PC only features that have been copied and added to consoles.

Patches
Mods (supposedly they're coming for UT3)

If console gaming was better then they wouldn't be copying features from the PC that have been around for over a decade.
ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ElectricNZ
Or you could look at it this way, every console user uses some PC, every modern household needs a PC, why not just get a better PC in the first place instead of getting some crap console so you can just do everything on one machine.
vorlon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37 vorlon92
Member since 2006 • 378 Posts
I despise PC gaming...you people are all crazy.  I only have all of these PC games because I have a problem with collecting things, one of which is PC games.  I do not enjoy them at all and do not have, nor ever will have, any interest in playing PC games.  Although I tend to be a perfectionist and get paranoid that some of these games I am collecting may not be authentic, which then requires me installing them all just to make sure that what I am collecting works...that part is extremely tedious.  Next I begin to wonder if these are incomplete products, so I have to attempt to finish them all to evaluate the end product and the possible impact on the value of my collection (this is where the true agony begins).  Sometimes in the process of ensuring the quality of my collection I can't proceed because I need a better PC to test some of these newer titles with high system requirements, which necessitates upgrading my PC (which I also detest).  Once I have upgraded I can then get back to the joyless task of playing all these games for quality assurance purposes.  This vicious cycle is what my collecting addiction subjects me to, I wish I actually enjoyed playing these games.  I hate PC gaming and PCs. 
acesion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 acesion
Member since 2003 • 1938 Posts
Honestly I have a topped out rig, and consider it the biggest waste of money I ever spent. Droping 3 G's on a gaming rig which (ATM) doent come close to the graphics the Consoles support, also having to deal with overhead problem, driver issues and incompataility errors(vista) are just really getting to me. If I didnt use my computer for graphic design I would have really hated my self for waisting so much money, yet in a way i did because my old PC did everything that my current does. Photoshop ran the same, and so did Maya and 3ds max. I'm hoping Crysis really is worth it, but when I have 2 quadcores and dual SLI 8800GTX's nd have stuttering issues with Rainbowsix, it just pisses me off. That added to the fact that Oblivion controls for PC are clunkier then ever(The Mods are awesome, but the controls are terrible and really pull you out of the expreience when you have to press ctrl C to cast a spell).
acesion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 acesion
One think however that I do love about the PC is the RTS games, IMO the only games worth playing on a PC. Company of Heros and Medieval 2 are totaly awesome.
acesion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 acesion
I never really understood the argument that PC gaming is so much more expensive than console gaming.  Sure, if you ONLY compare the cost of a console vs. the cost of a PC then it would appear that console gaming is cheaper.  However, that's a very shallow comparison. 

We PC people buy a PC, but it does a lot more than just play games.  All those people who buy consoles and then get on here and talk about how much cheaper it is...well....what do you think they are typing on?  If you buy a console you're pretty much forced to buy a PC to do internet stuff with.  All of the sudden it's not so cheap.  Also, what about that HDTV?  I'm pretty sure most of the monitors we play are are a lot, on average, cheaper than the HDTV's that the console guys are playing on.

IMO...the cost difference is not close enough that it's not worth discussing.

Now, if you want another reason why PC gaming is better...just look at all the PC only features that have been copied and added to consoles.

Patches
Mods (supposedly they're coming for UT3)

If console gaming was better then they wouldn't be copying features from the PC that have been around for over a decade.
mudman91878
Just a note you cant really compare PC monitors to HDTV's because of the Way HDTV's process images my 2 30inch Ultrasharps dont look nearly as good as my 72inch HDTV, because HDTV's have higher definition as far as color bands and the Blacks are blacker and the whites are whiter on a HDTV.
ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ElectricNZ
I despise PC gaming...you people are all crazy. I only have all of these PC games because I have a problem with collecting things, one of which is PC games. I do not enjoy them at all and do not have, nor ever will have, any interest in playing PC games. Although I tend to be a perfectionist and get paranoid that some of these games I am collecting may not be authentic, which then requires me installing them all just to make sure that what I am collecting works...that part is extremely tedious. Next I begin to wonder if these are incomplete products, so I have to attempt to finish them all to evaluate the end product and the possible impact on the value of my collection (this is where the true agony begins). Sometimes in the process of ensuring the quality of my collection I can't proceed because I need a better PC to test some of these newer titles with high system requirements, which necessitates upgrading my PC (which I also detest). Once I have upgraded I can then get back to the joyless task of playing all these games for quality assurance purposes. This vicious cycle is what my collecting addiction subject me to, I wish I actually enjoyed playing these games. I hate Pc gaming and PCs. vorlon92
seriously, wtf?
Avatar image for mejia13fernando
mejia13fernando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 mejia13fernando
Member since 2005 • 1225 Posts

nutcrackr
yea me too
lukedogg69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lukedogg69
Member since 2003 • 138 Posts
A pc can be used on a television, a console can be used on a pc monitor. They also make projectors for an even larger experience. Displays dont really factor in here. What the two devices are actually doing is what it is all about. $1 spent on a pc, when done correctly and MAYBE even through an expensive chain like Dell, is worth several dollars spent on a console.
VfighterX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 VfighterX
Member since 2005 • 256 Posts
Don't you guys love to decal your own cases or give them a nice coating?
8)
vorlon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#45 vorlon92
Member since 2006 • 378 Posts

Don't you guys love to decal your own cases or give them a nice coating?
8)
VfighterX

:>  pre-girlfriend/fiancee: yes I was almost that bad.  Now...not so much.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Seriously, PC gaming FTW
war3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 war3
Member since 2003 • 103 Posts
yea PC gaming is sweetness mainly cuz MP is so easy to use in lots of games
MtTheNothingtM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MtTheNothingtM
Member since 2006 • 29 Posts

Pc gaming is the true hardcore gamer way to go. Thanks Subcr.... for posting on my thread. If any readers here haven't checked it out and want to, click this---> http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24295718&page=0

I just wish people with consoles could see the comparision between PC and consoles. People with consoles most likely haven't seen a good computer or not a computer at all and assume that their console is all that. Don't belive in the hype. Thats being prejudice. You can't judge without knowing/seeing all the facts for yourself. I've seen both and yes, PC is just THAT good. I wouldn't trade it for a free subscription of xbox live. I dare all console owners who haven't seen a gaming rig to check one out. You will really be surprised. I know its expensive, but you have to admit that you've been fooled thinking that you had the greatest gaming console when you see the eye-candy that a top end computer can develop. Plus, computers do it better. lol, learn some truth before you judge, console owners. no offense

sykonfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sykonfc
Member since 2004 • 607 Posts
Two years ago I built a system with equipped with a GeForce 6800GT256, AMD Athlon 3500+, One gig of RAM, 480 watt PSU, and an ASUS mobo. All of it cost me nearly $1,200. And that was actually three years ago (2007 now, damn I totally forgot :D).

And I'm still using this rig, playing games such as F.E.A.R, FarCry, Company of Heros, Dawn of War, EVE Online, Guild Wars, at or near high graphics. You want proof of my rig's power? Then I'll prove it by e-mailing you benchmarks and videos of it in action.

I plan on upgrading my system next week (after two years of solid gaming), which will cost me $818 total (588 without the graphics card, depends on if I want one or not). This upgrade (PSU: 650 Watt Thermaltke, CPU: Athlon X2 4600+, GPU: Radeon X1950PRO 512, HDD: Western Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM) will give my rig another two or three years of kick ass gaming. Seriously, PC gaming IS cheap if you study what parts to buy and actually get off your ASS and build it yourself. Dell, AlienWare and Sony claim to be the hottest sh!t since slice bread, suckering ignorant people into buying $2,000-$4,500 computers that you could possibly build yourself for nearly $1,200. Get a grip people, you don't need bleeding edge technology to play next-gen games. My computer is proof of that, and I don't need shiny graphics that some you console freaks drool about time and time again to enjoy my game. Gameplay > Graphics. End of story.

Bash us PC gamers all you want, do it to your heart's content, but then tell me. What system are you currently using to reply to me? A typewriter? Ha, give me a break. PC's are a necessity.
mudman91878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mudman91878
Member since 2003 • 740 Posts
Honestly I have a topped out rig, and consider it the biggest waste of money I ever spent. Droping 3 G's on a gaming rig which (ATM) doent come close to the graphics the Consoles support, also having to deal with overhead problem, driver issues and incompataility errors(vista) are just really getting to me. If I didnt use my computer for graphic design I would have really hated my self for waisting so much money, yet in a way i did because my old PC did everything that my current does. Photoshop ran the same, and so did Maya and 3ds max. I'm hoping Crysis really is worth it, but when I have 2 quadcores and dual SLI 8800GTX's nd have stuttering issues with Rainbowsix, it just pisses me off. That added to the fact that Oblivion controls for PC are clunkier then ever(The Mods are awesome, but the controls are terrible and really pull you out of the expreience when you have to press ctrl C to cast a spell).acesion

One of two things has happened here.

1.  Whoever you paid to build this PC is an idiot and screwed something up.
2.  You're an idiot and screwed something up.

Learn about what you're buying before you bash it.