This topic is locked from further discussion.

Marina-Tylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Marina-Tylo
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I never really cared about macs for the longest time and took the jump last year. I will never ever go back to Windows.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Ya disagree. Would not in a million years be willing to buy such overpriced hardware. Besides the awesome track pad, there isn't a Apple product I'd be willing to purchase for the sole reason apple only works with apple. Their iphone still needs itunes so does the ipad, and their laptops cost an arm, when I can go get a computer or laptop for the same price and literally have the thing run laps around it like it's the flash. I'd never be caught dead trying to run 5k resolutions on a 750ti. But hey apparently apple owners don't give too shits that it's a low end card of two years ago not even capable of doing video editing at that resolution let alone game, or do anything to do with graphical design. But still are willing to shill out 1000's of dollars.

Looks nice, Feels nice, and overpriced, do to nothing more then the name Apple. I'll stick to PC's that run windows and linux, where my money actually buys me something worth the price. My friend just got a the top of the line macbook, and I literally showed him the exact same model of computer spec wise for $857, when he payed $3100. Ya no fucking way I'm letting them **** me out of my money like that. Isn't worth it. All brand no substance and at an insanely marked up price.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Macs are fine for non-gaming use which is why we have a few Mac Minis at home.

But, I game frequently enough which is why a Mac can never replace my gaming PC and gaming laptop.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@ribstaylor1: Exactly which macbook did he get?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@marina-tylo said:

I never really cared about macs for the longest time and took the jump last year. I will never ever go back to Windows.

Obvious troll but I'll bite.

Tell me what features of Mac are so great that Windows doesn't have?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@marina-tylo said:

Glad to hear you have a great experience =)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

Nowadays, the only really good reason to prefer OSX over Windows is if the user has a preference for the OSX Finder.

Veteran Mac users are used to the Finder like Windows users are used to having a Start Menu.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@horgen: Pro, with all the bells and whistles, literally it's top end model can't get anything better from that line of laptops. I should have mentioned It's Canadian prices I refer too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Do you, umm...do you have any reason for loving your mac so much? Or do you just find Johnny Ive's voice so soothing?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5920bf77daa85

@ribstaylor1: care to post a link for this $857 Laptop with Macbook Pro specs?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

How many Macs did you buy?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

smells like spam post

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I love my anorak.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Well my boss is gonna buy me a mac for IOS development so I will see what is all the fuss about.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Hmmm...I need a computer, will I buy a Mac, or Windows PC? The Mac costs more, but doesn't do anything that a Windows PC can't do...but I have alot of money to burn....and I do want to fit in with all my hipster friends....MAC IT IS!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
@Gamerno6666 said:

Well my boss is gonna buy me a mac for IOS development so I will see what is all the fuss about.

Is it a desktop? I don't see the appeal of those unless you need OSX professionally. I don't find the operating system to be easier in any way, except maybe not needing a separate "uninstall" panel (you just delete apps like on a phone) and otherwise in some ways Windows is simpler.

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GoodKingMog
Member since 2015 • 167 Posts

@Cobra_nVidia said:
@Gamerno6666 said:

Is it a desktop? I don't see the appeal of those unless you need OSX professionally. I don't find the operating system to be easier in any way, except maybe not needing a separate "uninstall" panel (you just delete apps like on a phone) and otherwise in some ways Windows is simpler.

the statement that mactards use that "OSX is easier" is horse shit. OSX is no easier to use or understand than windows.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@Cobra_nVidia said:
@Gamerno6666 said:

Hope so.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

I would guess some people like the less clutter of the Finder. In Windows and most Linux GUIs, every app window is self-contained. That is, each app window has its own File Menu. With OSX, the File Menu only shows at the Menu bar with the active app (the OSX image had the screen-capture app active). My wife actually prefers the Finder although she also have a Windows laptop. I think liking the Finder is a legitimate enough reason.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Oooo the leopard dock was so pretty...

One thing I like about the OSX (which actually came with Mavericks...) is tabs. I use that alot.

I like the Macintosh top menu system mainly for nostalgia. I rarely run more than one window visible at a time, and find the tethered menu system of windows slightly easier - don't have to worry about which app the menu system I'm using is for.

Also, Curse of Monkey Island ftw

Rusteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Rusteater
Member since 2004 • 4080 Posts

Macs are awesome for Facebook

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

i love how apple-hipsters said that OSX is so much better because it won't clutter itself over time like Windows, that would result in lower performance. absolute bullshit. i have first-hand experience of disasterously clutterered OSX's after few years of use.

@Rusteater said:

Macs are awesome for Facebook

this.

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

If you like hitting expensive equipment with sledge hammers, then sure, macs are good.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@groowagon said:

i love how apple-hipsters said that OSX is so much better because it won't clutter itself over time like Windows, that would result in lower performance. absolute bullshit. i have first-hand experience of disasterously clutterered OSX's after few years of use.

Having enough apps open will bog down a computer due to RAM constraints. It may appear it's the number of windows because each app has its own. The windows by themselves probably wouldn't bog a computer down unless you have a ridiculously unrealistic number open. That is true regardless of platform.

I haven't really seen that argument in OSX vs Windows arguments. Most arguments boiled down to the Finder, the Taskbar vs the Dock, consistent look across applications, etc.

What you're referring to is enough apps can be installed and uninstalled in Windows. But, the Registry can become cluttered and residual files remain after the uninstall.

With OSX and earlier Mac OSes, uninstalling an app usually involved dragging the app folder to the Trash Can. The OSX Control Panel doesn't even have an Uninstall Program section.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Having enough apps open will bog down a computer due to RAM constraints.

Now I don't have benchies for a lot of programs but I do have some older browser benchies for Win7 vs OSX:

:)

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Overprice devices make "some" people think they are so great... really?

Well, I love my $249 laptop... and it has Windows Vista. yeah, it's old and still works.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Good for you.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@Coseniath said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Having enough apps open will bog down a computer due to RAM constraints.

Now I don't have benchies for a lot of programs but I do have some older browser benchies for Win7 vs OSX:

:)

Ya. But, those are just browsers. How about doing what my kid use to do: A gazillion Web sites on Chrome plus Photoshop, Premiere, and a few other apps......all on a Celeron dualcore PC with 4 Gb of RAM.

Then, she had the nerve to say her PC is slow.

Now, she has a much better PC than mine. The 8 Gb RAM seems to hold up much better.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Coseniath
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Ya. But, those are just browsers. How about doing what my kid use to do: A gazillion Web sites on Chrome plus Photoshop, Premiere, and a few other apps......all on a Celeron dualcore PC with 4 Gb of RAM.

Now, she has a much better PC than mine. The 8 Gb RAM seems to hold up much better.

Yeah and even in those same browsers, OSX loses all RAM tests against Windows. (and generally loses 31 out of 35 browser tests)

So OSX cannot beat a single test with 40 tabs open in the 5 most popular browsers, will manage RAM better when more programs will be opened? I don't think so...

And wait a min. You said your daughter has better PC than yours. You have FX8350 with GTX770 4GB. What's your daughter's PC? i7 with Titan? lol

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@Coseniath said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Yeah and even in those same browsers, OSX loses all RAM tests against Windows. (and generally loses 31 out of 35 browser tests)

So OSX cannot beat a single test with 40 tabs open in the 5 most popular browsers, will manage RAM better when more programs will be opened? I don't think so...

And wait a min. You said your daughter has better PC than yours. You have FX8350 with GTX770 4GB. What's your daughter's PC? i7 with Titan? lol

I assembled my kid her first "gaming" PC: i5 4670k/8 Gb DDR3/MSI R9 290x.

I kinda wanted to switch parts with her PC. But, she knows me too well. She specifically mentioned no parts swapping. She wants everything new for once.

I was tempted to switch video cards because my 4gb MSI GTX 770 looked practically identical to the MSI R9 290x. But, I gave my word. Now that I'm playing TW3, I'm kinda regretting it. He He.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Coseniath
@jun_aka_pekto said:

I assembled my kid her first "gaming" PC: i5 4670k/8 Gb DDR3/MSI R9 290x.

I kinda wanted to switch parts with her PC. But, she knows me too well. She specifically mentioned no parts swapping. She wants everything new for once.

I was tempted to switch video cards because my 4gb MSI GTX 770 looked practically identical to the MSI R9 290x. But, I gave my word. Now that I'm playing TW3, I'm kinda regretting it. He He.

Just change the stickers!!! :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

What do you even do different on your mac?

and what was your last PC?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jun_aka_pekto

@Coseniath said:

Just change the stickers!!! :P

She put in a new log-in password.