i hate to admit this about the new mac pro

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

Gentlemen.

I know that saying anything Apple positive is a sure-fire way to get persecuted in a PC gaming forum - I accept that, because Apple caters to n00bs and offers super-weak value. But I wanted to show you something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mrvglps408#t=42s

Now, I'm probably like you - just fine with a normal PC case, building it myself, speccing it myself - etc.

But check it out - if you were a wealthy n00b with a penchant for PC gaming, shit, this is an option for the oligarchs. Very expensive and poor value of course because it is Apple, but jesus, it would handle anything.

When I saw him put the Apple Mac Pro next to his Falcon Northwest gaming PC I was blown away (4m20s). I am not a wealthy person but I know how they think. Something powerful and small like that might appeal.

of course someone could build a small pc which was also fast, but what kind of specs would be needed to blow this mac pro out of the water? obviously the xeon is expensive and there for workstation type loads so i'd accept a non-K Core i7 as a suitable replacement for gaming. kind of unfair to the high apple price tag but we are gamers here.

something weird: I cannot find out what a FirePro D300 or FirePro D500 is. I think they are rebranded from other cards or something.

anyway. inb4 apple sucks with a statement from crownkingarthur - 'apple sucks'.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Or you know, just post this

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7603/mac-pro-review-late-2013

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CrownKingArthur

@JigglyWiggly_: i am afraid that "Topics linking to websites, images, videos or other material without any original commentary from the topic creator" would fall under spam.

so, i have added my own original commentary in the hopes a discussion might eventuate .... and to conform to gamespot's protocols.

but thanks for the link though, it seems the d300 gpu is entirely custom. i don't know what it's 7xxx / Rx equivalent is.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Apple Sux, lol....sorry, just had to.

I agree with you actually, I'm a PC guy but I admit Apple does make some nice things.

The Mac Pro has always been a monster of a machine, but it's really not aimed at gaming, it's aimed at high end audio/video editing, CAD and Photoshop etc.

It's still a tad too expensive.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

FirePro is a workstation GPU... it won't be running games very well... It's made for CAD programs... Funny thing is, Photoshop benefits from CUDA, which is Nvidia, and these are AMD workstation GPUs, so MACs which were known for photoshop users (photo editing), won't see a great performance when rendering very large images. Then again, the everyday user will also benefit from cheaper/gaming oriented GPUs rather than workstations. IF you don't use CAD programs where you create something immense with, then a FirePro is not needed. This is mostly for video editors.

3000$ and 4000$ is a complete waste. Just make a Mini-ITX based PC with components you want if you want to have a mini PC and you've got something equal or more powerful than that trashcan.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CrownKingArthur

@FelipeInside: haha, you got me again.

@trastamad03: yes that is quite a funny and ironic point you mention regarding photoshop, cuda and so on.

oh yeah totally from the get go i admit this is poor value, but might be appealing to wealthy folks such as oil tycoons or somalian pirates. i just had a look at some benchmarks within Jiggly Wiggly's link, the gaming performance was not great.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

A workstation? Eww

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

I don't really see the appeal in the design.

I wonder how much people are going to rave about it's size, once they have hardware spread all over their desk because they cannot put it inside their computer.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Just an addition......

Isn't Stream AMD's equivalent to Nvidia's CUDA? I think Adobe supports both if I recall reading the box for Photoshop correctly.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

I don't even think it is a stretch to say without even opening the link I can build a better PC for less. Anyone who has actually looked into this.....am I wrong?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

CPU is better than FX8350 if you compare it and at the same level of i7 3770K.

GPU is a bit slower than 280X, and those 12/16Gb of RAM is pointless for gaming.

So yeah I can built a beast 1000-1200$ gaming rig that will throw away that 3000-4000$ Mac piece a sh^t.

Yes it's small, but I can built mini ITX that will be strong enough and close to that garbage for less than 1000$

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2B6qS

my bad it went 3$ above 1000 =(

:D

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Or you know, just post this

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7603/mac-pro-review-late-2013

@CrownKingArthur said:

@JigglyWiggly_: i am afraid that "Topics linking to websites, images, videos or other material without any original commentary from the topic creator" would fall under spam.

so, i have added my own original commentary in the hopes a discussion might eventuate .... and to conform to gamespot's protocols.

but thanks for the link though, it seems the d300 gpu is entirely custom. i don't know what it's 7xxx / Rx equivalent is.

The link could have been included anyway, but yes it does help a great deal to avoid a possible lock/deletion of thread to include more than a few words and a link.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

Cool looking case, but that is very expensive just for that.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

apple is garbage now and always will be garbage. I CANNOT WAIT TO THROW MY POS IPHONE AWAY. ****!!!!!!!!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside

@CrownKingArthur said:

Just do this:

http://www.geek.com/apple/this-mac-pro-inspired-pc-really-is-built-out-of-a-trash-can-1582256/

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CrownKingArthur

@FelipeInside: haha, what a cool little build. the finish looks really professional as well.

good shit man.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

The Mac Pro is a workstation that isn't meant for gaming. You could very easily and cheaply build something that would blow the Mac Pro out of the water in terms of gaming performance. That being said, it is an impressive piece of engineering. They managed to pack a lot of powerful hardware into a tiny package.

Also, ignore the haters. There's nothing wrong with Apple. They're a high-end boutique manufacturer basically that caters to people who have money and want a no hassle experience, kind of like an Alienware of Falcon NW for the non-gaming crowd. The design and build quality of their stuff is impeccable.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

@bigfootpart2 said:
. They're a high-end boutique manufacturer basically that caters to people who have money and want a no hassle experience,

And have no clue what they are getting sold, lol....