How to estimate value of a rig (to sell)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zerachielias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zerachielias
Member since 2003 • 239 Posts

Anyone know where I can find out how much I could sell my desktop for? I have a laptop now that beats the desktop in every way (- hdd speed), so I don't really need it around anymore, but I don't know how much I should ask for the pc. I hate seeing something sitting around when someone could use it.

If it helps, it's a hp m8400f with a Corsair 650W PSU and a 512mb Sapphire 4870, everything else is how it came from hp.

zxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 zxl
Member since 2004 • 138 Posts
Without monitor. I'd try to sell it for about 350-450$.
swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

Anyone know where I can find out how much I could sell my desktop for? I have a laptop now that beats the desktop in every way (- hdd speed), so I don't really need it around anymore, but I don't know how much I should ask for the pc. I hate seeing something sitting around when someone could use it.

If it helps, it's a hp m8400f with a Corsair 650W PSU and a 512mb Sapphire 4870, everything else is how it came from hp.

Zerachielias
Q : "How to estimate" A : That is a tricky question, the simple awnser is that you find out what simular used PC's sells @. The more advanced awnser is that each part has it's re-sell value, when newer tech arrice PC hardware quicky drop in re-sell value. If the whole PC is dissansambled the worth would rise, but older parts is more harder to sell. Both the TX650 and HD4870 has some time on their neck, the PSU is worth about $45 the GPU perhaps about $100, so i'd say about $250 for the HP and another $150 on top of that with GPU and PSU.
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

In my experience you will have to cut your own throat to get rid of it and even then it might never sell anyway.

Start by doing an inventory of what you have and then compare it to what those parts are currently listed for in similar auctions. Then lower your asking price by about 1/3 of whatever that total is.

Even after that, you probably wont be able to give it away for anything close to what it is actually worth. Ive had an E8400/4GB/gtx285 barebones kit listed for roughly half of what its actually worth for almost 2 months on craigslist and i have yet to even get an email or a phone call even asking to haggle the price down. Nothing.

Just gonna delete the posting and make a backup rig eventually. Fairly confident its never going to sell and if it ever does it'll take so long the price wont even be worth doing it for.

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
It is hard to re-sell a machine that isn't used anymore. I would just part it out personally or offer it to a friend or something. Nobody really shops around for used machines unless they are Mac's which do tend to retain their value because people want them.
Zerachielias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zerachielias
Member since 2003 • 239 Posts

Thanks everyone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f
deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f
Member since 2004 • 1036 Posts

Used computers are hard as **** to sell so I wish you good luck. I just scrap my old pc's for parts on my new ones, then sell the leftovers on ebay. Ram seems to sell pretty good and so do video cards, just don't expect to get anywhere near what you payed for them new.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
i will also recommend to sell it by parts since selling the whole think even at $250-300 will be very hard For instance i'm sure someone will buy that 4870 for $80-85 That corsair PSU its great and it also will find a buyer for $60-70 Also is it a phenom quad core your having on that HP? if it so then surelly someone would buy it for $50-60 There thats about $180-200 right there and you can sell a few more stuff like maybe Ram ( it would be easy to sell 4gb for a low $25-30 price)