how many of you downgraded from vista to windows xp?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SciDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SciDev
Member since 2005 • 210 Posts

i recently upgraded but have been plagued by compatibility issues. i was wondering how many of you have had to revert back to windows xp

Erandel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Erandel
Member since 2004 • 1164 Posts

No, as I don't have Vista yet, but its seems as though your not alone according to a CNET article - many people have found their PC isn't compatible with various peripherals / software / games. In fact, Dell have started resupplying XP machines because of ths issue.

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
I could have had Vista for free as I'm a Computer Science student but I decided to go with XP.
jjfz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 jjfz
Member since 2004 • 336 Posts
most people never upgraded even if they had free upgrades available. Usually driver problems like said by Erandel. Also, there's no point other than the eye candies. I don't think there's any graphic cards that support Dx10 nor any games.
Phelaidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Phelaidar
Member since 2005 • 1533 Posts

I have XP and Vista installed.

XP is better, no question.

And about DX10... I honestly think it's going to suffer a lot for being Vista exclusive.

Nvidia and ATI already have DX10 cards ready, but since not to many people are using Vista, I guess there won't be too many DX10-only games.

merjout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 merjout
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts
I have Vista and I can never go back to Xp. Xp looks so old now compared to vista.
JakeArmstrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 JakeArmstrong
Member since 2006 • 558 Posts
I have Vista and besides an onboard ASUS soundcard not working issue I couldn't be happier. Everything in Vista just feels "right". Besides, things will become more compatible once the operating system has been out for longer.
L8erSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 L8erSquare
Member since 2007 • 2599 Posts
Theres no need to upgrade to vista just yet xp works fine and with these problems going around about the vista acting funny its better to say with the XP for now till they fix vista.
ActionRPG_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ActionRPG_Boy
Member since 2004 • 253 Posts

I recently built a new gaming PC and had wanted to try out Vista. But in the end, I still chose XP so that all my present games will be compatible, and also because there aren't any DX10 games available now. Even when Crysis or Hellgate: London ships, I'll still hang back to see if they're fully compatible and bug-free before I upgrade...

For me, no DX10 games = no reason for Vista!

Tribalice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tribalice
Member since 2005 • 140 Posts

I prefer Vista, looks better, sounds better, it's easir to use,( compativility is not a problems as It came with a new pc(birthday and graduation presents)

BLiTZv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BLiTZv3
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts
Dual BOOT, XP and Vista, use vista for net surfing. XP for gaming.
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

Dual BOOT, XP and Vista, use vista for net surfing. XP for gaming.BLiTZv3

This is pretty much what I'll probably do. Until SP1 comes out, I don't think much is going to change. 

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58322 Posts

Dual BOOT, XP and Vista, use vista for net surfing. XP for gaming.BLiTZv3

Out of curiosity, how do you dual boot?  Do you make two partitions and then install one version of each OS onto the partition?  Also, how do you choose which OS will boot?

BLiTZv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BLiTZv3
Another thing, Vista also got problem with Creative Audigy 2. And I know my 6600GT is old but WTF!? Game freezes every now and then on Vista (I got 2 GB ram), that stupid nv4_disp.dll infinite loop, It doesnt happen in XP, why Vista? I changed lots of driver, still the problem exist.
BLiTZv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BLiTZv3

[QUOTE="BLiTZv3"]Dual BOOT, XP and Vista, use vista for net surfing. XP for gaming.mrbojangles25

Out of curiosity, how do you dual boot? Do you make two partitions and then install one version of each OS onto the partition? Also, how do you choose which OS will boot?

I got 3 partitions on my 250gb sata, I have Xp on C drive before Vista came. Installed Vista after that on drive D. New installation off course. Well, after you install Vista on the second partition, Vista automatically make it dual boot, so you wont face any problem. And as for dual boot screen, you'll have Vista selected by default, but switch to whatever windows you want.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

[QUOTE="BLiTZv3"]Dual BOOT, XP and Vista, use vista for net surfing. XP for gaming.mrbojangles25

Out of curiosity, how do you dual boot? Do you make two partitions and then install one version of each OS onto the partition? Also, how do you choose which OS will boot?

I myself use seperate hdd's, and press F4(my mobo setting to change hdd's) if I want to select my Linux boot or Windows 2000. Normally, I just have it load up XP Pro. Although, Linux has "Grub", which handles dual booting very nicely and very easily.

Vigore9754

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vigore9754
Member since 2004 • 185 Posts
I upgraded to vista and there's no way i'm going back to xp.  Vista runs twice as fast on my computer than xp did.
BLiTZv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BLiTZv3

I upgraded to vista and there's no way i'm going back to xp. Vista runs twice as fast on my computer than xp did.Vigore9754

Joking, right? What you have? 4GB?

merjout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 merjout

[QUOTE="Vigore9754"]I upgraded to vista and there's no way i'm going back to xp. Vista runs twice as fast on my computer than xp did.BLiTZv3

I have 2 gigs and vista runs a lot faster than XP. Don't ever  turn aero off it makes the world of difference. Everything I click pops up so quickly and my games run just as good and keeps getting better with new drivers. The most recent nvidia drivers are the best to date.

Phelaidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Phelaidar
Member since 2005 • 1533 Posts

I think you got a XP patch to make it look like Vista.

Everyone says Vista is slower, and that's a fact. 

BLiTZv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BLiTZv3
[QUOTE="BLiTZv3"]

[QUOTE="Vigore9754"]I upgraded to vista and there's no way i'm going back to xp. Vista runs twice as fast on my computer than xp did.merjout

I have 2 gigs and vista runs a lot faster than XP. Don't ever turn aero off it makes the world of difference. Everything I click pops up so quickly and my games run just as good and keeps getting better with new drivers. The most recent nvidia drivers are the best to date.

Nah, XP works great. Vista is slower than XP. All we can hope M$ fix these things on sp1. 

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Vista is slow. XP still do as much as Vista can. So why bother.
merjout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 merjout
I remember people said the same about win 98 when xp came out. Yes vista runs a lot faster on my core 2 duo with 2 gigs of ram and that is a fact. Those complaining that it is slower propabaly have P4 with 512MB of ram.
japanesegoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 japanesegoth
Member since 2004 • 2164 Posts
or how bout...why would you even buy vista when there's nothing wrong with xp?
tiki_rebb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tiki_rebb
Member since 2005 • 53 Posts
I haven't tried Vista yet, but from what I hear the XP to Vista transition is the real downgrade. 
Erlkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Erlkoenig
Member since 2006 • 715 Posts

I remember people said the same about win 98 when xp came out. Yes vista runs a lot faster on my core 2 duo with 2 gigs of ram and that is a fact. Those complaining that it is slower propabaly have P4 with 512MB of ram.merjout

Or maybe you're a computer noob and had 957613906 processes running on your old XP, I have seen that a lot on other people's machines. Your Vista is still relative clean and thus runs faster.

I tried Vista and got sick of it, too much holding hand by the OS slows my pace down. They unnecessarily shuffled things around just for the sake of being different/new.

Until DX10 games become mainstream I'll skip Vista. 

dyne12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dyne12
Member since 2003 • 68 Posts
I have been running vista biz since it was released (got it for free) and other then some issues right off the bat.  if u have a x-fi sound card then u can play any of your old games.  There are only a few smaller programs that don't run with vista and most can be fixed with a bit of modification to work.   but as far as upgrading if you get vista for free then u might as well upgrade if not it's not worth paying for at least not yet. 
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts

http://apcmag.com/5023/dual_booting_xp_with_vista

vista is definitely prettier, and it's a bit easier to use, but it is slower and some things still just don't work with vista. as john carmack said, there's not all that much wrong with xp, so there's really no rush to move to vista. i got a copy of vista with my laptop, but i had to install xp on it as well cuz certain programs i use weren't compatible with vista. so i'm dual-booting for the moment, but i hope to move away from xp as more and more softwares become compatible.

skbmassive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 skbmassive
Member since 2007 • 210 Posts

http://apcmag.com/5023/dual_booting_xp_with_vista

vista is definitely prettier, and it's a bit easier to use, but it is slower and some things still just don't work with vista. as john carmack said, there's not all that much wrong with xp, so there's really no rush to move to vista. i got a copy of vista with my laptop, but i had to install xp on it as well cuz certain programs i use weren't compatible with vista. so i'm dual-booting for the moment, but i hope to move away from xp as more and more softwares become compatible.

fireandcloud

I am sure windows 98 will run faster on my PC but who cares. Vista performs really fast on my PC and I have no problems. Not going back to XP.