How many games do you own that you haven't beat?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4402 Posts

Considering that I have a kid on the way, I can't really afford to go out and purchase anything new for the time being....that said: I got to thinking about how many games that I own (so I went through my pile and made sure my game collection list was complete) that I haven't beat.

After going through the list - which you can see here on my blog: http://www.gamespot.com/users/neatfeatguy/ - I have come to find out that I'm sitting on 15 different PC games that I haven't beat.

Seems like as good a time as ever to work on beating those games since I won't be playing Crysis or Left 4 Dead or any other new game coming out that I want.

So, how many other people out there have games that they haven't beat? How many? Which ones? Do you ever plan on beating them? Any reasons why you choose not to beat them?

Feel free to list them here if you want.

guylapierre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 guylapierre
Member since 2005 • 697 Posts
1- Ghost Recon Advanced Warfigher....I don't think hated a game as much as this one.
tsb247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 tsb247
Member since 2004 • 1373 Posts

More than I can count. By the time I'm on the verge of beating one game, another one comes out that I simply must play.

iplaydnd35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#4 iplaydnd35
Member since 2004 • 400 Posts
more than i would care to admit
iwokojance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 iwokojance
Member since 2005 • 1040 Posts

more than i would care to admitiplaydnd35

Me too. I actually collect pc games, so there are many I haven't even played.

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts

1- Ghost Recon Advanced Warfigher....I don't think hated a game as much as this one.guylapierre
Just played the demo, couldn't even beat that, :P oh man is it sadistic, and I LOVE IT! Only thing it needs is a quicksave and I would be on my way to the store.

And TC, You MUST finish Freelancer, okay, maybe not must but it's one of the best space sims, and definately the best of the "new" ones.

I have plenty of unfinished games, way too many to start listing. Few that bug me are Farcry and Gothic3, I have backups of the saved game files tho. I finish my old games every now and then, just finished CoD2 and Stalker, a while ago HaloCE.

ciobi82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 ciobi82
Member since 2006 • 31 Posts

1- Ghost Recon Advanced Warfigher....I don't think hated a game as much as this one.guylapierre

Same here,I hate that game!

And I have allot of strategy games that I haven't finished.They take to much time to finish and I don't have the patience.If I don't finish a game in 1-2weeks I pass to another.A man's gotta work to you now!:(

Avatar image for OPRFWrestler112
OPRFWrestler112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 OPRFWrestler112
Member since 2007 • 1570 Posts
Just one: Moedal of Honor Allied Assault. This game always crashes (even on lowest)on my laptop that can even run BF1942 at medium! I shall have the last laugh, however, when my new super PC beats the living hell out of MOH:AA. Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Too many to be listed.
waza000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 waza000
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts

i sold them at the pawnshop

but far cry .... i felt the story not attractive enough to keep me playing it ...

and stalker, pretty much for the same reason ... and multiplayer was too boring compared to most other games

lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts

Most of my games are unbeaten:cry: but I will have tomb raider anniversery done tonight:)

Ihavemanygames.

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

Considering that I have a kid on the way, I can't really afford to go out and purchase anything new for the time being....that said: I got to thinking about how many games that I own (so I went through my pile and made sure my game collection list was complete) that I haven't beat.

After going through the list - which you can see here on my blog: http://www.gamespot.com/users/neatfeatguy/ - I have come to find out that I'm sitting on 15 different PC games that I haven't beat.

Seems like as good a time as ever to work on beating those games since I won't be playing Crysis or Left 4 Dead or any other new game coming out that I want.

So, how many other people out there have games that they haven't beat? How many? Which ones? Do you ever plan on beating them? Any reasons why you choose not to beat them?

Feel free to list them here if you want.

neatfeatguy

Lol I actually have quite a few I haven't beaten yet. It's funny how I'll buy these games but never beat the single player.

Couldn't be bothered to list them now though...

kawaja231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kawaja231
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
LOL of the 60+ games I own it's easier to tell how many I have beaten. Let's see the games I've beaten are Jade Empire, KOTOR 1 and 2 and maybe one other. LMAO
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#14 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Most games I've beaten, ground control 2, dark reign and a few others I've not
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

I'm not going to count the few games that for whatever reason I cannot get to run properly. Well, let's see. I just started on Myst 3, so I haven't beaten that.

I haven't beaten Oblivion (there isn't really any beating it, but I count completing every single quest in the game as close enough to beating it).

I have Enter the Matrix for PC from quite a time ago, I never beat that.

Diablo and Diablo 2 (LoD). I always get tired of playing before I can finish Diablo 2, and as for Diablo, I just don't like it.

I own all the Rollercoaster Tycoon games and expansions except for the expansions for RCT3, and I've beaten not one of them (that is, completed every single map in each game).

Every RTS game I own except for Red Alert 2 has never been beaten. Sometimes it's because I just lose interest, but sometimes it's because they're too difficult for me (I'm not a very good RTS player, but I enjoy them anyway).

I haven't ever beaten Doom 3 or Quake 4 legitimately, both because I just sort of lost interest (I enjoy them, but they're a little repetitive after a while, especially Doom 3 due to how long it is). I say legitimately because I've turned on god mode and just charged through to the end to see what happens. I'll have to really dedicate myself to beating them one day.

Call of Duty 2, Prey, and FEAR: Extraction Point have all gone unfinished because I just haven't gotten around to them.

I always lose interest before I get to the end of STALKER. Another one I'll have to really push myself on.

Serious Sam 2 is still unbeaten as of yet, but it's not a very good game in my eyes to begin with. It's very easy to get bored with it. So sad it isn't as satisfying as the first two games were.

I haven't finished Overlord yet, but I will eventually. I keep playing it on and off.

Haven't beaten Return to Castle Wolfenstein (again, legitimately) because I always thought it was a little frustrating and eventually rather difficult. Haven't beaten Will Rock because it sucks ass. Don't even get me started on Nitro Family. Biggest ripoff in the world.

I also have a slew of old DOS games I play on DOSBox that I haven't beaten (not counting that I beat most of them way back in the day). Keen 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, Xargon SW (shareware), Crytal Caves SW, Secret Agent SW, Duke Nukem SW, Duke Nukem II SW, Cosmo SW, Tyrian 2000, Hocus Pocus SW, Heros Sanguine Seven, Major Stryker, Bio Menace, Heartlight, Alien Carnage, Monster Bash SW, Wolfenstein 3D, and a few others (get all these and more for free at classicdosgames.com, though you will need DOSBox to run them).

Alnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Alnar
Member since 2006 • 145 Posts
I dont go playing every consecutive game that comes out, but if i do, i gotta beat it. Wont be satisfied until then. Unless its an RTS like Company of Heroes. I tend to play for the story and the cinematics..so, mostly, the games i stick to tend to be either from the FPS genre or RPG. Sometimes its racing (NFS Carbon etc).
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I try to beat every game i buy, but quake 4 has managed to elude me. it doesnt keep me entertained long enough to progress very far into it. im like...1/2 way through and ive had it for a year and a 1/2. :D
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#18 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
almost all of them.
xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts

I try to beat every game i buy, but quake 4 has managed to elude me. it doesnt keep me entertained long enough to progress very far into it. im like...1/2 way through and ive had it for a year and a 1/2. :Draven_squad

Same here. I like the game..it's a solid FPS campaign but just something about it...

And yes there are more games I own that I haven't beat than I'd like to admit. I could probably entertain myself for a good 2 months with the games I need to "finish".

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts

[QUOTE="raven_squad"]I try to beat every game i buy, but quake 4 has managed to elude me. it doesnt keep me entertained long enough to progress very far into it. im like...1/2 way through and ive had it for a year and a 1/2. :Dxcryonicx

Same here. I like the game..it's a solid FPS campaign but just something about it...

And yes there are more games I own that I haven't beat than I'd like to admit. I could probably entertain myself for a good 2 months with the games I need to "finish".

yeah. it is a decent game. it just doesnt provide enough motivation to see it out.

but, i found another game i never beat. painkiller. UGH! that game didnt interest me after 30 minutes of playing it. that ones a coaster for sure.

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4550 Posts

More than I can count. By the time I'm on the verge of beating one game, another one comes out that I simply must play.

tsb247

I have the same problem, mang. Either a newer game distracts me, or I get tired of the other games and move on to something else whether it is a newer game or an older one.

lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
yay beat tob raider. What next should I play? Half life or go buy World in Conflict?
loismustdie47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 loismustdie47
Member since 2004 • 2368 Posts

quake 4 has managed to elude me. it doesnt keep me entertained long enough to progress very far into it. im like...1/2 way through and ive had it for a year and a 1/2. :Draven_squad

You think that's bad? I still have the pre-order receipt from Best Buy for that game. I just pre-ordered it to get the t-shirt that came with it and I just never felt the "need" to buy it, although I still keep the reciept in case I ever change my mind. Plus it'll be fun to see if they'll even take it now after however many years its been.

Personally I try to beat every game I buy just because if I don't I'll feel like I didn't get my money's worth except for some extreme circumstances such as Splinter Cell: DA which just kept crashing on my computer every couple of minutes, STALKER, in which I pissed off a faction and they would no longer let me live and I didn't feel like having to replay the 10-15 hours I'd already put into it, Midnight Club 2, which just got insanely difficult by the time I reached Paris and was no longer enjoyable, or Morrowind which I bought just before Oblivion came out but it frustrated me to no extent with a bunch of little nuances (Hooray for dumbing down Oblivion!)

Samulies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Samulies
Member since 2005 • 1658 Posts

Quake 4

Tribes Vengance

Black and White 2

Avatar image for -Grits_N_Gravy-
-Grits_N_Gravy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -Grits_N_Gravy-
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
gave up on Oblivion before you gots to enter the ginormous gate of hell, just got Supreme Commander and already gave up on the first Cybran mission, in Dawn Of War Dark Crusade i havent even beaten the main conquer the planet campaign thingy, might as well add Bioshock cause i got me a crappy ending:D
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

i was thinking of starting a thread like this recently, i have tons of unfinished (and in some cases, unplayed) games:

• s.t.a.l.k.e.r (finished, but i rushed through the ending and got the greed ending, feel i should replay)
  • company of heroes - campaign
  • doom 3
  • return to castle wolfenstein (i have owned that game since day 1 and always get annoyed when those hopping electricity guys show up and quit)
  • alien vs predator (i finished the marine and alien campaign, but i only managed a few levels into the predator)
  • kingpin (got as far as some flamethrower guy and quit forever!)
  • black and white (got as far as mission 3, i think)
  • warcraft 3 - campaign
  • boiling point (quit when stalker came out, but i was also pretty frustrated with many game mechanics)
  • baldur's gate 2 (i know, i'm a heretic - d20 games just annoy me, though i intend to get through it some rainy.... month)
  • farcry (hate those mutants)
  • the longest journey (find the protagonist fundamentally unlikable)
  • starship troopers (mediocre game i had to force myself to play, despite some fun early levels)
  • project igi (meh)
  • deus ex (i bought this game hoping i'd like it after loving shock 2 and liking the thief game, but i outright cannot stand deus ex... as much as i'd like to)
  • dark messiah (mediocre, buggy and annoying)
  • prince of persia warrior within (feels like the game equivalent of an angry teenager, no fun to play)
  • splinter cell double agent (performance issues spoilt it for me, now i have an 8800 i should give it another shot)
  • fallout tactics (don't really like it, but vow to finish it some day)
  • republic commando (just didn't really enjoy it)
  • divine divinity (very meh)
  • sacrifice (bought it solely on a freind's recommendation, cool - but not something i want to spend time with)

well, there it is - i knew i had a lot of games that needed finishing, but half of them don't deserve playing, let alone finishing... i guess we'll have another dry spell after christmas, i'll turn back to some of them then...

Ahurigaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ahurigaan
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts
I havent beat any of them, I keep shooting myself in the Foot on Level One.
loismustdie47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 loismustdie47
Member since 2004 • 2368 Posts
  • deus ex (i bought this game hoping i'd like it after loving shock 2 and liking the thief game, but i outright cannot stand deus ex... as much as i'd like to)

mfsa

Blasphemy! You, sir, should be shot!

Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#29 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts
I'd say over half of my 400+ games I have not beaten.. but I'm holding off buying more until I beat the ones I have.. just after I buy World in Conflict.. yes.. just one more game.. just one..
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

Don't remember, but 2 of the most famous ones are

Halo and Half Life 2

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 neatfeatguy

i was thinking of starting a thread like this recently, i have tons of unfinished (and in some cases, unplayed) games:

• s.t.a.l.k.e.r (finished, but i rushed through the ending and got the greed ending, feel i should replay)
  • company of heroes - campaign
  • doom 3
  • return to castle wolfenstein (i have owned that game since day 1 and always get annoyed when those hopping electricity guys show up and quit)
  • alien vs predator (i finished the marine and alien campaign, but i only managed a few levels into the predator)
  • kingpin (got as far as some flamethrower guy and quit forever!)
  • black and white (got as far as mission 3, i think)
  • warcraft 3 - campaign
  • boiling point (quit when stalker came out, but i was also pretty frustrated with many game mechanics)
  • baldur's gate 2 (i know, i'm a heretic - d20 games just annoy me, though i intend to get through it some rainy.... month)
  • farcry (hate those mutants)
  • the longest journey (find the protagonist fundamentally unlikable)
  • starship troopers (mediocre game i had to force myself to play, despite some fun early levels)
  • project igi (meh)
  • dark messiah (mediocre, buggy and annoying)
  • prince of persia warrior within (feels like the game equivalent of an angry teenager, no fun to play)
  • splinter cell double agent (performance issues spoilt it for me, now i have an 8800 i should give it another shot)
  • fallout tactics (don't really like it, but vow to finish it some day)
  • republic commando (just didn't really enjoy it)
  • divine divinity (very meh)
  • sacrifice (bought it solely on a freind's recommendation, cool - but not something i want to spend time with)

well, there it is - i knew i had a lot of games that needed finishing, but half of them don't deserve playing, let alone finishing... i guess we'll have another dry spell after christmas, i'll turn back to some of them then...

mfsa

After reading some of the posts from others, I don't feel so bad as to the 15 games that I own that I haven't beat.

Just a few comments on a couple of the games you listed -

• STALKER - replay, try to go for the real ending - since you have already beat it, don't think twice about peaking at a walkthrough for some help
  • Black and White - I'm surprised you even made it to level 3, that game greatly dissappointed me and I gave it to my little brother.
  • Warcraft 3 - I felt that this version of Warcraft was dumbed down and simplified compared to the second one and it was too easy - this game shouldn't take you too long
  • Project IGI - In my opinion, not a bad game, but could be much better - my little brother owns it and when I borrowed it, I couldn't get myself to finish the game. Just feels like something was missing from it....
  • FarCry - Worth taking the time to beat it, in my opinion.

I just felt like pointing out a few games on your list you should try to beat and a couple that I don't think are worth the time.

matthewjackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 matthewjackman
Member since 2006 • 407 Posts

I'll admit that as a kid living in Hong Kong I bought pirated PS1 games by the bucket load. Out of the hundereds of games I had (no exaggeration) I think I only finished Final Fantasy VIII and possibly one other.

Nowadays I pretty much finish every game as long as it isn't open ended.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
None of my games have never beat yet. I want to, but I dont have the time. work and work and more over time that's why.... I will beat one of my games one of these days.
Copaseticbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Copaseticbob
Member since 2006 • 109 Posts

Black & White 2 and Bioshock - I got to the point *spoiler* where you become a big daddy and have to protect the little sister, and just lost interest.....

bmaisey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bmaisey
Member since 2004 • 324 Posts

Hmm

out of 25 finishable games (so not battlefield 2, for example)

i have finished... 9 lol

thats finished to a reasonable degree, not 100% though.

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts
About 10% of my game collection.
Delius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Delius
Member since 2005 • 571 Posts
I'm also a collector and not so much a finisher, I've only finished maybe 10% of the games in my collection (I'd say about 10% more can't be beat being online shooters, mmo's etc). Oddly enough, there are a few (3 I think) that I've finished a few times.
skeeterbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 skeeterbutt
Member since 2004 • 190 Posts

Obilvion being the first, GTA San Andreas (damn helicopter flying) followed by GUN. I could not be the last mission in GUNand just got tired of trying. All others I finished and I've played many.

Avatar image for jacobhazard1704
jacobhazard1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jacobhazard1704
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts
i have a really bad habit of getting close to the end of a game and just not finishing it for one reason or another. Doom 3 i got to the last level TWICE and stopped playing it. I also have never beaten a racing game, ever. they start off great, i have fun and its exciting, but after a while they get so boring, and if i hit like a car or side rail or something it makes me want to punch a baby. im very picky with games and tend to replay my favorites. ive beaten baldur's gate 2 at least a dozen times or so.
karmageddon2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 karmageddon2k4
Member since 2004 • 919 Posts

[QUOTE="iplaydnd35"]more than i would care to admitiwokojance

Me too. I actually collect pc games, so there are many I haven't even played.

Same. I collect games in general so i have a ton i need to beat. Only time i get to somewhat catch up is in the summers when not too many games come out.

weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts
2-3 games that I haven't beaten I'd say. However, I don't consider a game "beat" until it is completed on all skill levels. Until that point it is still breathing and twitching.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

First of all, congradulations on the upcomming new member of your family. As a father myself, I can tell you are about to experience the greatest joy in your life.

As for your question, ya, ever since I have been a father I finish less and less games. I don't know why, but I seem to loose interest in games as of late. I don't know if it's just the lack of time due to responsibilities, or maybe I am just getting older and games are appealing less and less to me. I seem to spend more time discussing and awaiting games lately. Though maybe the types of games being released are not my **** The last game I was really into but didn't finish was Gothic 3. I got to the very end, but never ended up finishing it. I might go back to it, but for now I am not really interested in playing it.

I am hoping Hellgate: London will be as good as I hear it is, and reignite my passion for gamming.

weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

First of all, congradulations on the upcomming new member of your family. As a father myself, I can tell you are about to experience the greatest joy in your life.

As for your question, ya, ever since I have been a father I finish less and less games. I don't know why, but I seem to loose interest in games as of late. I don't know if it's just the lack of time due to responsibilities, or maybe I am just getting older and games are appealing less and less to me. I seem to spend more time discussing and awaiting games lately. Though maybe the types of games being released are not my **** The last game I was really into but didn't finish was Gothic 3. I got to the very end, but never ended up finishing it. I might go back to it, but for now I am not really interested in playing it.

I am hoping Hellgate: London will be as good as I hear it is, and reignite my passion for gamming.

dnuggs40

I'm betting it is the quality of games. Today's games are shallow garbage compared to 10 years ago. Once in a while a gem comes out that truly reaches out and grabs you by the groin, but other than that the games today are minor diversions.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

"I'm betting it is the quality of games. Today's games are shallow garbage compared to 10 years ago. Once in a while a gem comes out that truly reaches out and grabs you by the groin, but other than that the games today are minor diversions. "

Maybe, I hate to say something is not up to par in terms of quality becuase I don't like it. But speaking on a personal level, something is deffinetly changed (either myself or the games themselves). Honestly, I have to say I think the change is with me.

But ya, I see your point. Where are the games like Planescape and BG I & II? Seems like the really well made and deep games are way too few and far in between.

On a positive note, I think we are starting to see a reemergence of these types of games comming from the European market. Hopefully they clean up their act with their poor reputaion for bugs and poor release.

jeffcenate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jeffcenate
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

ive got about 45 PC games and having seen this thread it got me to checking the list and i found something pretty funny. the only games ive actualy finished are the RPG's. by far the majority of games ive played ive never finished. i seem to get to the last campaign or level, or just general end game moping up and walk away.

the only game i regret not finishing though is Homeworld II. that game is for me the best example of a great storyline since FF VII and im sad to say that despite that i couldnt stay hooked on the game play itself. other games like Rome: total war, once i break the back of the work and the game falls into the 'crush one pissant province at a time till the game says 'you win'' senario i totaly loose interest and given the total crappyness of most game endings i just cant muster the will to drudge through those boring end games just to see a list of how many billions of pixles ive managed to 'kill'.

then again i grew up with games like Pac-Man and defender and river raid (Lord i loved River Raid) where there was no end (Or it was all but so impossable to reach as to be the same thing) just a high score,so i guess just quiting a game for me isnt the end of the universe as it is with younger generations. the end of a game for me is basicaly getting to put a cuss word as the top slot in the high score list :D

Defender810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Defender810
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Quite a few...i love it when i complete great games though, like HL2 and mafia :)
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 neatfeatguy

"I'm betting it is the quality of games. Today's games are shallow garbage compared to 10 years ago. Once in a while a gem comes out that truly reaches out and grabs you by the groin, but other than that the games today are minor diversions. "

Maybe, I hate to say something is not up to par in terms of quality becuase I don't like it. But speaking on a personal level, something is deffinetly changed (either myself or the games themselves). Honestly, I have to say I think the change is with me.

But ya, I see your point. Where are the games like Planescape and BG I & II? Seems like the really well made and deep games are way too few and far in between.

On a positive note, I think we are starting to see a reemergence of these types of games comming from the European market. Hopefully they clean up their act with their poor reputaion for bugs and poor release.

dnuggs40

There's something to be said about how games have changed - it's not just you that has changed, but it also the games. Perhaps a combo of what you feel and how games have changed are what's making you not want to play as much.

I used to play the crap out of an online MUD called Gemstone III and I followed with it when the staff upgraded the game to Gemstone IV; I played this MUD off and on for over 12 years. I used to sit and play that online MUD for hours on end some days. I guess it was my fascination with fantasy type atmospheres that kept me wanting more and also the huge amount of people that I befriended. It was a mix of the community, game play value and imagination of mine that kept me wanting more.

Once the game play changed, a good amout of people I came to know in the game started leaving - so pretty soon the game play changed and the community changed....eventually my imagination wasn't once what it used to be when playing. So I changed and so did the game - sad to say that I haven't had interest in playing anymore over the past 2 years. My account has been closed and I no longer keep in touch with the few remaining people I grew to know in the game....I don't even know if they still play.

I also remember how much I enjoyed good story lines in games and that the graphics never really mattered to me. But I will say that it is nice to look at pretty graphics. Unfortunately, that's what it seems to have come down to in the past7-10 years...way too much focus on how to make a game look pretty instead of finding ways to make games enjoyable with a good story or good game play or good replayability (is that a word...? Eh, it is now).

Don't get me wrong, there are a few really good games that stand out from others, for example here are a few of my choices:

• Morrowind
  • Advent Rising
  • DeusEx
  • Fallout
  • Freelancer
  • Gothic series (I have yet to beat the third one, but I'm working on it!)
  • Baldur's Gate II
  • Starcraft

Those are games off my list that I greatly enjoy and ones that I go back to play again and again...there are a few more I could have added, but they don't quite compare to those I listed. So, out of a my 90 or so games that I own, only about 10% of them are truely great games. The others are anywhere from decent to down right dull.

I notice that sometimes I feel like I need to game, but when I fire a game up on my PC....I just don't have the motivation to actually play. I think I'm slowly falling out of enjoying gaming as much as I used to, but I will never quit gaming. I'll just slow down in it a bit, unless something out there truely sparks life back into my once out of control gaming habit.

Protoford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Protoford
Member since 2007 • 372 Posts
Never got around to finishing ultima ix, first 'cause I didn't have enough computing power, now 'cause I'm enjoying latest games.
Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts

I agree. It had good graphics, but the squad controll sucked and i could never figure out that UAV.

Whermacht02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 Whermacht02
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts

I have quite a few games that I didnt manage to finish

- Temple Of Elemental Evil: I was never able to understan that game. Seems like D&D games are not for me.

- Stalker: I got it, but only installed it once to check it out. Never really started to play it

- Warcraft 3 TFT: I had to reinstall my computer and lost my saves. I was like halway through the undead campaign

- Cuban Missile Crisis (aka The Day After): The game is EXTREMELY difficult

- X3: It has a steep learning curve

- Space Force Rogue Universe: The game look promising, but I didnt like the AI on it

- UFO Extraterrestrials: I got hooked with other games

- Painkiller: Got boring after the first few levels, though it looks really nice!!

- Bet On Soldier: Its an awful game

- Company Of Heroes: Too much micromanagement for my taste

- CnC Generals Zero Hour: Just installed it for the new units and multiplayer

- Starcraft: Yeah, dont ask about this one. The first time I played the game was in 2004

- GRAW

Well... those are the ones that come to my mind now... Im sure Im missing a few ones