How is the LOTRO beta to anybody who's in it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I just got into the Lord of the Rings Online Beta and i'm downloading the client now, has anybody else already downloaded and played it? If so how is it?

I will post my thoughts on what i think of the game once ive played it.
Cheers.
Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

it takes ages before you get in it

not worth it for me

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
Same as every other MMORPG out, grindfest quests and mobs and level up to get new abilities, then repeat.
eric2006bc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 eric2006bc
Member since 2005 • 84 Posts
im also downloding the client right now cnat wait to start playing
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Same as every other MMORPG out, grindfest quests and mobs and level up to get new abilities, then repeat. vfibsux

Not really. Have you tried making a hobbit?

And I've never had as much fun exploring places in MMO's, because you get accomplishments/traits through them too.

The european beta community has been great and I feel proud for being part of it.
hamumu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 hamumu
Member since 2005 • 1967 Posts
It's a very solid mmorpg. While the variety of characters isn't the greatest, the art style and the quality of the engine make up for it.

DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
I like it alot. The quests are varied enough that it doesn't feel like grinding, infact, just killing monsters over and over barely gives you XP, so quests are the only way to level up. I like it alot.
eric2006bc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 eric2006bc
Member since 2005 • 84 Posts
i like this game it makes you feel like your re living the lotr  but i have to say i prefer WoW  but then again i didnt play this for very long as i had to go out so ill comment back tomorow when ive given it a better chance
WhiteGangster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WhiteGangster
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
This game is incredible! i say it definatly blows away WoW!
FacesMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FacesMan
Member since 2005 • 39 Posts

I really have a gut feeling this game will bomb but I have 3 more days before the open beta starts for me (didn't preorder) before I can actually say good or bad. I think they would have been better off just copying WoW's factions of good vs evil. Having Orcs & Uruk-hai etc as an actual playable race would have been better in my opinion. I know you can play as them in 'Monster Mode' but that seems completely pointless to me.

Again however, I shouldn't really rag on this game already as I still have 3 days before I can play it to give it an honest try.

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Frozzik
Member since 2006 • 3914 Posts
I played for a couple of weeks. I did really enjoy it and in many ways it is better than wow. For me though it lacks the fun factor wow offers and i did feel that you really need to be a fan of the LotR universe to fully appreciate this game. I still may buy it as it is definately worth playing.
Avatar image for smoothanddeadly
smoothanddeadly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 smoothanddeadly
Member since 2004 • 59 Posts

Last night I installed the client from the PC Gamer DVD for the open beta that starts April 6.  A word of advice for others like me: it took my broadband connection almost 2 hours to download and install 4770 file updates (that's not an exaggeration), so you should get that process started soon if you want to start to play on 4/6.

drdrillnfill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#13 drdrillnfill
Member since 2005 • 1756 Posts
I was an avid WoW player so I was a bit in question of what to expect out of this game.  Well after 3 days of playing it I can say that this game is going to be pretty darn good.  Personally, I think the graphics are better than WoW but the music wasnt as good.  The gameplay is very similar and easy to get used to if you were a WoW fan.  I pre-ordered this game and look forward to the full version at the end of this month.  If you are interested, I say download it and play the beta and see if its your type of game.  
Zero_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 Zero_Space
Member since 2007 • 659 Posts
The ability to play as monster characters in this game has me sold. And the environments and characters are simply breathtaking. I plan on getting the game, and I'm a long time wow player.
Terrorantula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 Terrorantula
Member since 2007 • 1795 Posts
It's basically WOW set in Middle Earth with even worse PVP.
Requem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Requem
Member since 2005 • 539 Posts
I was having fun with the game.Achivement and trait system is quite original and fun.But when I set my foot in the Bree Town that came.... The LAG.Big cities are sooo lagy that I quited the game.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

It's basically WOW set in Middle Earth with even worse PVP.Terrorantula

All games don't focus on PvP. I really don't care if MMO doesn't have PvP. PvP is always better in FPS after all.

Avatar image for the_real_jspark
the_real_jspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_real_jspark
Member since 2003 • 218 Posts
Hey i've been playing for a day, im on Gladden server char name is "Gimly". Add me

PROS: I saw a cool fight/display within the first couple minutes of playing the game which I havn't experienced in any other mmo. I felt very involved with the story very quickly which I havn't felt before in any other mmo's I played including WoW (which I have been playing since the start). Killing things seems more satisfying to me in this game then it does in WoW. Better graphics then WoW (but my crappy videocard cant take advantage of it). Nicer atmospheres then those found in WoW and other games. Unique things to the game that I havn't seen in other mmo's (I won't describe them all).

CONS: Higher system req's then WoW or other mmo's. Lots of loading screens.

That's all I can think of right now.
Zero_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 Zero_Space
Member since 2007 • 659 Posts

[QUOTE="Terrorantula"]It's basically WOW set in Middle Earth with even worse PVP.RK-Mara

All games don't focus on PvP. I really don't care if MMO doesn't have PvP. PvP is always better in FPS after all.

I agree. PvP isn't the end all be all of MMO gaming.
drdrillnfill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#20 drdrillnfill
Member since 2005 • 1756 Posts
might be something on your end of the spectrum because i have been in and out of bree several times with not even a hiccup.
MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts
If only turbine wasn't making it..
xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts
Very hand-holding and extremely easy if you ask me. It's got some nice LOTR lore and such, but it's almost too "safe" for me to stay very interested. Gameplay is like chutes and ladders to the next area for your level.