How does the Mac App Store compare to iOS App Store or other stores?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

I recently bought a new MBP 13' that was discounted and tax-free. It's my first Mac computer in 10 years and so far I've been pleased except for the App Store. I noticed that many of the apps available on iPhone were not available on the App Store. Which took me by surprise, but I realized that macOS and iOS are separate. They don't have anything like Microsoft's planned universal apps thing. That means the Mac App Store availability of apps had always been reliant on the install base, and you know, not many people have Macs compared to Windows PCs.

I, however, may be leaping to wrong conclusions about the App Store on Mac. I just haven't found the commonly used apps for Macs which I can imagine are a bit different than phones.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Kjranu

I must be the only Mac owner here. :P

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Kjranu said:

I recently bought a new MBP 13' that was discounted and tax-free. It's my first Mac computer in 10 years and so far I've been pleased except for the App Store. I noticed that many of the apps available on iPhone were not available on the App Store. Which took me by surprise, but I realized that macOS and iOS are separate. They don't have anything like Microsoft's planned universal apps thing. That means the Mac App Store availability of apps had always been reliant on the install base, and you know, not many people have Macs compared to Windows PCs.

I, however, may be leaping to wrong conclusions about the App Store on Mac. I just haven't found the commonly used apps for Macs which I can imagine are a bit different than phones.

You are correct. They are different stores and the Mac Store has a lot less apps than the iOS store.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@Kjranu said:

I mean it's a PC gaming forum. You're not going to get very many Mac people on here as it's not the optimal OS for PC games.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside

@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@Kjranu said:

I mean it's a PC gaming forum. You're not going to get very many Mac people on here as it's not the optimal OS for PC games.

Not really.

The title of the forum is

• PC/Mac/Linux Society
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse

@FelipeInside said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@Kjranu said:

Not really.

• PC/Mac/Linux Society

I'm well aware what the title of the section is. That doesn't change the reality of the PC gaming demographic. I never said this forum wasn't for MAC, I said not many people have one on here because this is primarily a gaming forum and Macs aren't typically used for gaming. I count OSX and linux systems as personal computers as well because they are, maybe that's where you got confused?

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kjranu

@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@Kjranu said:

Not really.

• PC/Mac/Linux Society

I'm well aware what the title of the section is. That doesn't change the reality of the PC gaming demographic. I never said this forum wasn't for MAC, I said not many people have one on here because this is primarily a gaming forum and Macs aren't typically used for gaming. I count OSX and linux systems as personal computers as well because they are, maybe that's where you got confused?

Optimal or not. People do game on Macs and Linuxes, but that wasn't really the subject of this thread. Which is as you can read, apps comparison between stores.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Toxic-Seahorse

@Kjranu said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@Kjranu said:

Not really.

• PC/Mac/Linux Society

Optimal or not. People do game on Macs and Linuxes, but that wasn't really the subject of this thread. Which is as you can read, apps comparison between stores.

Dude, you made a post about not getting a response and how you "must be the only mac owner here". My post was simply a reason as to why that might be. If anything, you started the discussion. Chill out.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kjranu

@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@Kjranu said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:

Not really.

• PC/Mac/Linux Society

Dude, you made a post about not getting a response and how you "must be the only mac owner here". My post was simply a reason as to why that might be. If anything, you started the discussion. Chill out.

I made a joke and you took it seriously but whatever.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kjranu

Anyway, I downloaded the Steam app for my new MBP13 and was hoping to run 3Dmark. What a flop that was. I wanted to see how well the MBP would do with the Iris graphics which I know is pretty low end but would be fun to record the numbers. It turns out 3Dmark has yet to support macOS while it is available on iOS... just lol. It goes to show that market share is paramount, and how unwise it was to separate macOS and iOS.

Windows 8 was poorly implemented, granted, but Windows 10 and universal apps will make them far more appealing once it's fully implemented. Microsoft is in a really good position right now, making Apple look antiquated.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

@Kjranu said:

Anyway, I downloaded the Steam app for my new MBP13 and was hoping to run 3Dmark. What a flop that was. I wanted to see how well the MBP would do with the Iris graphics which I know is pretty low end but would be fun to record the numbers. It turns out 3Dmark has yet to support macOS while it is available on iOS... just lol. It goes to show that market share is paramount, and how unwise it was to separate macOS and iOS.

Windows 8 was poorly implemented, granted, but Windows 10 and universal apps will make them far more appealing once it's fully implemented. Microsoft is in a really good position right now, making Apple look antiquated.

Don't go off 3DMark too much. Just because the Mac might get a low score on that program doesn't mean it can't run some games well.

But obviously yes, the MBP isn't a gaming computer.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kjranu

@FelipeInside said:
@Kjranu said:

Don't go off 3DMark too much. Just because the Mac might get a low score on that program doesn't mean it can't run some games well.

If the rumors of 1070m/1080m performing close to their desktop counterparts are true... Apple could have them as an upgrade option for the new line of MBPs this fall with the updated Kaby Lake processors. The MBPs could become monsters. It probably won't be cheap, though. Still have to pay a premium for MacOS and craftsmanship.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside

@Kjranu said:
@FelipeInside said:

If the rumors of 1070m/1080m performing close to their desktop counterparts are true... Apple could have them as an upgrade option for the new line of MBPs this fall with the updated Kaby Lake processors. The MBPs could become monsters. It probably won't be cheap, though. Still have to pay a premium for MacOS and craftsmanship.

Apple won't do that. Macbooks are already overpriced, imagine putting a 1080m on top of that premium.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kjranu

@FelipeInside:

@FelipeInside said:
@Kjranu said:
@FelipeInside said:

Apple won't do that. Macbooks are already overpriced, imagine putting a 1080m on top of that premium.

The base Macbook Pro is equipped with a powerful duo-core at 2.7GHz Intel CPU but is hampered by integrated graphics. They already allow us to customize the CPU to a higher tier one, can upgrade the RAM to 16GB. I doubt it would be much of a challenge for Apple to also allow us a GPU upgrade. It's only a process of adding an option on their website and adding capacity at their manufacturing factories. The thing that remains is the will to do it, and they don't care enough to do that it seems.

Anyway, I'm only speculating. Apple has yet to announce their new line of hardware since they're waiting for Kaby Lake deployment this fall. Which, incidentally, coincides with the release of next-generation mobile GPUs, rumored to be the largest leap in the history of MGPUs. Their iMacs also use mobile GPUs. I believe if Apple wants to remain exciting, ahead of the curve then they will utilize latest mobile GPUs from nVidia than continue to limit them with integrated graphics.