How do I put games on a netbook if it doesn't have a cd drive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sparda012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 sparda012
Member since 2006 • 2045 Posts

topic

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
You either download them or you don't play them on netbook. Although it's quite easy to transfer an ISO of a game disc to a netbook, I'm not sure about the legality of making images of discs you own.
andy_lyall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 andy_lyall
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts
You could buy yourself a usb dvd drive and install the games when you're at home so you don't need to take it around with you. You'd have to crack your games then though which isn't exactly legal either.
Erandel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Erandel
Member since 2004 • 1164 Posts

This should be in the hardware forum, but does it have a USB port on it? if so you may be able to get an external CD/DVD drive.

If not, then it doesn't sound like the right platform for gaming.

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
Making an image of something you own is legal as long as you don't share or upload it anywhere, buy like a 8GB USB stick and make ISO images of whatever game you are trying to play and download daemon tools if your netbook uses Windows and mount them and install, of course the game will ask for the CD in which case I'll leave that between you and the internet to figure out how to get around.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
You could use an external disk drive or use an image from a USB/external hard drive. But remember netbooks arn't designed for games so don't expect to play anything new.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="markop2003"]You could use an external disk drive or use an image from a USB/external hard drive. But remember netbooks arn't designed for games so don't expect to play anything new.

World of Goo's a blast (for a while).
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
True they aren't power horses but my Dell Mini 9 can play most anything from around 200-2001 and under. Of course it has to have the GMA950 modified to run at a faster clock speed but it is great of playing old classics on the go and it is a good option for a hackintosh which is what I did with it.
diskonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 diskonline
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
if you don't have a cd/dvd driver, don't expect to play the game totally legally. Just make an image youself and transfer it through Lan or Usb disk. Then download a crack and delect the image. As long as your license key (S/N) is legal, the material you use to install the game would not be such an important issue.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
You could buy a USB DVD Drive...that would be the EASY way and the most EXPENSIVE way.... If you have a friend who is a bit good with networks, you can network the netbook with another PC and share that PC's DVD drive over to the netbook.... Ur netbook isn't going to play many modern games though....
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

If you have a friend who is a bit good with networks, you can network the netbook with another PC and share that PC's DVD drive over to the netbook.FelipeInside

^^^ this. Its the cheapest solution.

You don't really need any heavy networking knowledge. Just share the drive like you would any folder and run the game's install.exe remotely.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] If you have a friend who is a bit good with networks, you can network the netbook with another PC and share that PC's DVD drive over to the netbook.XaosII

^^^ this. Its the cheapest solution.

You don't really need any heavy networking knowledge. Just share the drive like you would any folder and run the game's install.exe remotely.

This hasn't worked for me with most games as the netbook reads the networked drive not as a true drive but as a folder and refuses to install copy-protected games.
diskonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 diskonline
This way is obviously not going to work most of the time....even the game can be installed through the Lan cable, you still can't pass the copy-protected system before game start. you'll have to crack the game anyway, or make an image...it's nothing different....
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
This way is obviously not going to work most of the time....even the game can be installed through the Lan cable, you still can't pass the copy-protected system before game start. you'll have to crack the game anyway, or make an image...it's nothing different....diskonline
Well yeah....of course you will have to use a NO-CD Crack file, but the install should work over the network....
Arronaxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Arronaxxx
Member since 2003 • 306 Posts

I usually make a disc image using Nero, copy it to the netbook using 4GB USB flash drive, then emulate it using Daemon TOOLS. There's nothing illegal about making copies of your own games as long as you don't distribute it. And you don't need no-cd cracks, because emulator works as if the real cd was in a drive.

wigginender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wigginender
Member since 2003 • 644 Posts

Actually in some countries it is illegal to backup (copy) your own music, movies or games, but if only you will know, who cares.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jimmyjammer69
You could always use direct2drive etc. Quake Live is free to download and play and runs beautifully on netbooks :)
WDT-BlackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WDT-BlackKat
Member since 2008 • 1779 Posts

topic

sparda012
By replacing the netbook with a real computer.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="sparda012"]

topic

WDT-BlackKat
By replacing the netbook with a real computer.

It's not that bad :P I had a blast playing Thief 2 while waiting at the dentist's last week.
SuperGamer911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SuperGamer911
Member since 2008 • 253 Posts

No offense, but why did you get a netbook in the first place? You could have gotten a Laptop for about $100- $200 more.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

There are three practical methods.

-Digital distribution such as Steam.

-Ripping a disk image and loading it in a program like daemon tools.

-No-CD cracks.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jimmyjammer69

No offense, but why did you get a netbook in the first place? You could have gotten a Laptop for about $100- $200 more.

SuperGamer911
Netbooks are a great second computer. They're very small and extremely light. As far as I'm concerned, they're the first properly portable computer.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

People don't buy netbooks to play games. Netbooks are lightweight, highly power efficient (I get up to 5h out of mine) and do pretty much everything you need from a laptop.

But as gamers it's our instinct to try to play games on them :P

Ca9ine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ca9ine
Member since 2009 • 75 Posts
[QUOTE="SuperGamer911"]

jimmyjammer69
Netbooks are a great second computer. They're very small and extremely light. As far as I'm concerned, they're the first properly portable computer.

Agreed. +1 I'm looking to buy me an Acer One 160gb soonish. Getting very cheap. Adminstering my websites and trolling others is just as good to do on a netbook as on a 1337 rig. Chatting, surfing and webstuff; netbook = perfect.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="SuperGamer911"]

Ca9ine

Agreed. +1 I'm looking to buy me an Acer One 160gb soonish. Getting very cheap. Adminstering my websites and trolling others is just as good to do on a netbook as on a 1337 rig. Chatting, surfing and webstuff; netbook = perfect.

Besides which, with the new generation of netbooks (like the Asus N10J with 9300m GT or the upcoming nvidia ion netbooks), modern gaming is becoming a realistic option.

WDT-BlackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WDT-BlackKat
Member since 2008 • 1779 Posts

[QUOTE="Ca9ine"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"] Netbooks are a great second computer. They're very small and extremely light. As far as I'm concerned, they're the first properly portable computer.jimmyjammer69

Besides which, with the new generation of netbooks (like the Asus N10J with 9300m GT or the upcoming nvidia ion netbooks), modern gaming is becoming a realistic option.

Gaming on a 9300 GPU is NOT realistic at all unless you're one of those peverse fans of Runescape.
Avatar image for dan-rofl-copter
dan-rofl-copter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dan-rofl-copter
Member since 2008 • 2702 Posts

Daemon tools would be my suggestion.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

[QUOTE="Ca9ine"] Agreed. +1 I'm looking to buy me an Acer One 160gb soonish. Getting very cheap. Adminstering my websites and trolling others is just as good to do on a netbook as on a 1337 rig. Chatting, surfing and webstuff; netbook = perfect.WDT-BlackKat

That's definitely an exaggeration. If you google this particular netbook, you'll see people happily running a very playable COD5 (albeit with dipped detail) Gaming on a 9300 GPU is NOT realistic at all unless you're one of those peverse fans of Runescape.

That's definitely an exaggeration. COD5 is very playable as is Bioshock and even Left4Dead. For such a tiny machine, this thing's a beast - especially for it's sub £500 price tag.

*edit* I've just found out it has HDMI out and can easily playback 1080p with CPU load under 50%. I think I've sold my self on this little fella :)

Greyskies87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Greyskies87
Member since 2007 • 123 Posts
I bought I ASUS EEEPC a few weeks ago to use while I travel. I chose a netbook over a laptop because I wanted something really small and with great battery life. I sometime have to program machines at work when I travel and I may be out in the boonies with no available power outlet and I need the battery to last. Sure you arent going to be able to play new games, but thats what I have a desktop for. I have Fallout 1,2, C&C 1st Decade and a few other games loaded on it. I used a 8GB flash drive to transfer ISOs to my netbook and then use Dameon tools. The police arent going to come after you for that, its just like ripping an Audio CD to iTunes.
skylersspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 skylersspace
As long as you own it, and are using it for your own personal use, it is generaly legal