How did you pick you username...

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Roguetrp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 Roguetrp
Member since 2006 • 219 Posts

Hey,

I would like to know how you picked you usernames and what inspired you to pick them. Was it a game caracter you liked or related to ect? If you could not have the one you are using, what was your backup name.

Gimme some feedback guys, I know it took me a while and I see some great ones in the forums.

venomblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 venomblack
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts
Well, as is pretty obvious from my avatar and my sig, I'm a big comic fan, especially Spiderman. My favorite villain of course being none other than Venom! I tossed black on the end of the name as venom was already taken. I pretty much use Venomblack as my username in most online games I play.
ChocoKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ChocoKat
Member since 2006 • 319 Posts
Chocokat is the greatest. Oh, and I love Hello Kitty!
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58500 Posts
Well I got it from Saturday Night Live, Will Ferral and Molly Shannon did this skit called Dog Show or something like that and the dogs were named Rocky Balboa and Mr Bojangles...I thought it was funny, so I picked it.  It wasnt until after I made my name that I found out Mr Bojangles was a gay african-american tap dancer from back in the day.  That'll teach me to ever be spontaneous again.
Roguetrp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Roguetrp
Member since 2006 • 219 Posts
@ Bojangles, Thats very funny. LOL
ChocoKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChocoKat

Well I got it from Saturday Night Live, Will Ferral and Molly Shannon did this skit called Dog Show or something like that and the dogs were named Rocky Balboa and Mr Bojangles...I thought it was funny, so I picked it.  It wasnt until after I made my name that I found out Mr Bojangles was a gay african-american tap dancer from back in the day.  That'll teach me to ever be spontaneous again. mrbojangles25

Actually, I find your comment of Bill "Bojangles" Robinson being gay quite offensive. Instead of spewing nonsense how about you do some research first. Here let me help you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Robinson

Also, check out the movie starring Gregory Hines.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]Well I got it from Saturday Night Live, Will Ferral and Molly Shannon did this skit called Dog Show or something like that and the dogs were named Rocky Balboa and Mr Bojangles...I thought it was funny, so I picked it.  It wasnt until after I made my name that I found out Mr Bojangles was a gay african-american tap dancer from back in the day.  That'll teach me to ever be spontaneous again. ChocoKat

Actually, I find your comment of Bill "Bojangles" Robinson being gay quite offensive. Instead of spewing nonsense how about you do some research first. Here let me help you.

Jeez, buddy, didnt mean to offend you.  And I wasnt using gay in the "oh, thats gay fashion, I thought he was actually gay Thanks for bringing that to my attention, and I didnt mean any offense to you or Bill "Bojangles" Robinson.  Its just that my grandpop found out my screenname and somehow said that Mr Bojangles was gay thats all.

Now lighten up and dont be so quick to get offended.  You make it sound like being gay is a bad thing.  Youre not a homophobe, are you?

handag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 handag
Member since 2006 • 449 Posts

was Tired and i diddnt bother making a fancy nick so i just entered 3 first letters in my last name and the 3 letters in my first name....

Easy

oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 oscar530
Member since 2005 • 4430 Posts
I just used the same name I use for all things which need accounts for
Vizhonary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Vizhonary
Member since 2003 • 138 Posts

My nick is descriptive, but it is very hard to find it available spelled properly so I spell it out phonetically... And I have never cared that better than half the english speaking world doesn't know how to pronounce it.

For those without any training at all in linguistics, it is pronounced Visionary. ZH in most languages is a phonetic for a soft G, long J or drawn Z, and it sounds like the S in the words meaSure or viSion.

ChocoKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChocoKat
[QUOTE="ChocoKat"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]Well I got it from Saturday Night Live, Will Ferral and Molly Shannon did this skit called Dog Show or something like that and the dogs were named Rocky Balboa and Mr Bojangles...I thought it was funny, so I picked it.  It wasnt until after I made my name that I found out Mr Bojangles was a gay african-american tap dancer from back in the day.  That'll teach me to ever be spontaneous again. mrbojangles25

Jeez, buddy, didnt mean to offend you.  And I wasnt using gay in the "oh, thats gay fashion, I thought he was actually gay Thanks for bringing that to my attention, and I didnt mean any offense to you or Bill "Bojangles" Robinson.  Its just that my grandpop found out my screenname and somehow said that Mr Bojangles was gay thats all.

Now lighten up and dont be so quick to get offended.  You make it sound like being gay is a bad thing.  Youre not a homophobe, are you?

No, not a homophobe. I am just telling you the facts. Now, go show your grandfather. Hell, he probably wouldn't care anyway.

sepheronX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sepheronX
Member since 2005 • 1388 Posts
back about 8 years ago, I was playing an online game (forgot the name) and I set my name as sephiroth, but it was taken, so I changed it around and made sepheron.  But I didn't find sepheron catchy, so I made it as sepheron5, which lasted me for a long time till recently (5 years ago) I changed it to sepheronx (x being seperate from sepheron).  But what I never noticed was sepheron was a spice......
zayl99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 zayl99
Member since 2007 • 614 Posts
Umm... worng forum? Anyway mine is a character from the Diablo books plus a 99.
FragMonkey09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FragMonkey09
Member since 2005 • 1543 Posts
Hm neat post, keep em coming... As for me, one of the major reason I got into gaming was because of Unreal Tournament 2003, and as you consecutiviley get kills in the game, an announcer yells out things like "Doublekill!" or "Triple Kill" and at one point, I got so many kills withing a short period of time that the announcer screamed out "FRAGMONKEY!!" And I thought "OMG that is my name now!"
zbiggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 zbiggie
Member since 2004 • 363 Posts
well my first names always been to hard for people to say Zbigniew, so everyone called me Zbig, and when i was in elementry people just started calling me zbiggie, after B.I.G's song biggie and since then i have used that as a nickname for everything and if you steal it ill hunt u down and kill you

just joking, but seriously dont take my name
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
khindjal infantry from emperor: battle for dune, added 1 for fun
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#17 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts
Got mine from A Few Dollars More, Monco being Eastwood's character and means ''someone who limps''.
Mercenary_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mercenary_Q
Member since 2007 • 169 Posts
I jsut finish playing Devil May Cry 3 and my favorite letter is Q
Dragonsss2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dragonsss2
Member since 2005 • 252 Posts
Well I chose mine because I like dragons and sss2 are my initials. But I wish I could change my usename. The username I currently go by on almost every other site is ManOWar2
liquidzero123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 liquidzero123
Member since 2004 • 7111 Posts

Actually, mine was never supposed to be what it is. When I created my account it was a spur of the moment thing because my former friend had an account with this site and after watching my first On the Spot I decided to sign up. You may find this hard to believe, but for some stupid reason I mixed up my password and username, so my username was actually supposed to be my password. It was obviously too late to do anything about it when I realised, but there's alot worse a name I could've ended up with for my username... so it turned out ok.

So no, my name has nothing to do with Liquid Snake!

Painkill3r90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Painkill3r90
Member since 2006 • 40 Posts
i just thought Painkill3r sounded nice (this was before painkiller game) sometimes i use Kaerlic, but now i´m trying to think new name (have been thinking for 3 days:cry: )
liquidzero123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 liquidzero123
Member since 2004 • 7111 Posts

i just thought Painkill3r sounded nice (this was before painkiller game) sometimes i use Kaerlic, but now i´m trying to think new name (have been thinking for 3 days:cry: )
Painkill3r90

Unfortunately Gamespot won't allow you to change your name for any other reason apart from the ones in the box to the right, here http://uk.gamespot.com/misc/helpcenter.html

A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts
A-S_FM

Anti-Social_FatMan

my internet handle since before i was born
Shegevara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#24 Shegevara
Member since 2005 • 2124 Posts
Well it's kinda strange with me. Shegevara.. yea, it was when i watched a movie on discovery, heard the word like something like shegueara to me. Well, i did a little costumize that, until it came shegevara. Then i saw the real name was Che gueara.. well, i tried to change but, who cares, friends get used to me calling me sheg, and didn't change it.
Painkill3r90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Painkill3r90
Member since 2006 • 40 Posts
i know i cant  change my name in gamespot . i´m  going to change the name i use in online games 
ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
Hmm, my nick just came to me while I was staring at the GTA2 Network screen. I think I might have had that voice in my head saying "Shawtgawn!".
gunnersfan_us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gunnersfan_us
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts
Well, mine is quite the story... not too strange, not too interesting but a story nontheless. Back in the day, say, when Unreal Tournament was all the rage I would use handles that had political meaning or a commentary on society. Example, I would use Philip_Morris and when I got a frag the fragged would see on their screen "You were killed by Philip Morris." Of course PM is the parent company of Marlboro cigarettes. Boy, taking the time to think about what to write is bringing back all sorts of memories. For instance I would use the name of the sitting Attorney General. Janet Reno was a good one. I would play UT as a female soldier with a custom skin. Most servers would show the default player model of male soldier when it could not display the users skin. So, runnin' and gunnin' and gettin' frags would prompt the male voice reaction like "Take that sucker!" You can imagine seeing your opponet, a male soldier and hearing a male voice only to get killed by Janet_Reno, who looks kinda manish:D

Now I use Venus_Wong. ????? Once again, interesting story. Many years back I was tired of playing as John_Aschroft (grin) and one day I was watching a Jet Li movie marathon on Action channel on cable. After a couple movies I kept noticing a name in the ending credits. Venus Wong. Wong has much meaning for me from my days in college. Kinda like Wayne from Wayne's World saying "Schwing!" And so, ever since, Venus_Wong. That's what I use when I play online. I mostly play Battlefield 2142 and once in a while CoD2.
belboz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 belboz
Member since 2003 • 1548 Posts
Mine is picked from the name of the great wizard in the early Infocom text-based adventure games.
Yup; I played those in the mid-late 80's.
Marlins4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Marlins4life
Member since 2006 • 66 Posts
Caz im a Florida Marlins fan4life
Twelfth_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Twelfth_Man
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I picked my name based on a tradition of my college, Texas A&M.
gunnersfan_us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gunnersfan_us
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts
Well, it would help if I read the topic correctly. My user name for gamespot is just that I'm a fan of Arsenal of the English Premier League. They are also known as the gunners and fans are called gooners. 
Whermacht02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Whermacht02
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts

I chose mine after watching Saving Private Ryan, when Rieben tells the captain about that german soldier that killed the medic "you are going to let him go so the Whermacht can pick him up??". I liked it. But the thing is that Whermacht was already taken, so I had to add 02 at the end... Whermacht is ussually my name in games (I used it in UT, Quake3, Doom3). I tried to use it for my BF2 account, but it wasnt available... I ended choosing the call sign of the Lance from Mechwarrior 3. The ".one" is the callsign of the player, the leadet of Damocles Lance... damocles.one

Tyelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tyelly
Member since 2006 • 66 Posts
Tyelly... well it all started in grade 3... My best friend and I were making up nicknames... and he called me Tyelly... Ever since then people call me Tyelly, I use it on all my games as a profile name, my liscence plate is Tyelly, Xbox live/nex/MSN all Tyelly... I even write my name Tyelly now (instead of Tye) for pretty much everything.
Airek49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Airek49
Member since 2003 • 1081 Posts
This is my in-game name. My real name is Eric. It all started back when I played Everquest. I had a Halfling Rogue by the name of Airek. I continued on to name all of my alts different variations of Eric (Airiq, Airick, Aireck, Airik, etc).
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Just killed the first two Hellknights in Doom 3 which came through the portal just before i created my GS account, so the game name and the name of my favourite Doom 3 enemy kind of stuck.
Somebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Somebean
Member since 2005 • 108 Posts
Well I've used Bean ever since i got into online gaming, its a nickname of mine, and then since Bean is taken i just randomly put a some in front.
larkanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#37 larkanderson
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts
I picked this name after the coolest guy in the universe.
dar_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 dar_
Member since 2003 • 8762 Posts
I picked this name after the coolest guy in the universe.LarkAnderson
Weird, your username doesn't sound like my name at all.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
It is the name that I have used in many games. I just added some numbers onto it for some reason.:? I got the idea from Smokey The Bear(the forest fire prevention hero) and I decided to modify the name a bit to make it sound different.
Pete5506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#40 Pete5506
Member since 2006 • 10112 Posts
Well my name is peter, and my nick name is pete so I just always use that, and I was play some game and score 5506 points on it and thats how it happen
Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jack_Summersby
Member since 2005 • 1444 Posts
Jack Summersby is the name of the lead character in one of the crappiest movies ever (and maybe Richard Gere's worst roll):

Summersby
Ragnarok101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ragnarok101
Member since 2004 • 2465 Posts
mine is a little hidden, between the lines kinda name, im a big ...might a restate that...the craziest psychopathically fanatic of FFVI (FFIII SNES) since forever still am today and i name it after the best esper available in the game...i didnt spell properly cuz i was getting to much flack for it, and my pic is kefka..so i guess you could piece them together
queenfan66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 queenfan66
Member since 2006 • 2737 Posts
well i like queen aka a fan and so and 66........i dont know,  but put that together and you get queenfan66!
In_Vino_Verita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 In_Vino_Verita
Member since 2007 • 1702 Posts
Mine is just a phrase i heard. It means " In wine there is truth."
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mrbojangles25

Well, mine is quite the story... not too strange, not too interesting but a story nontheless. Back in the day, say, when Unreal Tournament was all the rage I would use handles that had political meaning or a commentary on society. Example, I would use Philip_Morris and when I got a frag the fragged would see on their screen "You were killed by Philip Morris." Of course PM is the parent company of Marlboro cigarettes. Boy, taking the time to think about what to write is bringing back all sorts of memories. For instance I would use the name of the sitting Attorney General. Janet Reno was a good one. I would play UT as a female soldier with a custom skin. Most servers would show the default player model of male soldier when it could not display the users skin. So, runnin' and gunnin' and gettin' frags would prompt the male voice reaction like "Take that sucker!" You can imagine seeing your opponet, a male soldier and hearing a male voice only to get killed by Janet_Reno, who looks kinda manish:D

Now I use Venus_Wong. ????? Once again, interesting story. Many years back I was tired of playing as John_Aschroft (grin) and one day I was watching a Jet Li movie marathon on Action channel on cable. After a couple movies I kept noticing a name in the ending credits. Venus Wong. Wong has much meaning for me from my days in college. Kinda like Wayne from Wayne's World saying "Schwing!" And so, ever since, Venus_Wong. That's what I use when I play online. I mostly play Battlefield 2142 and once in a while CoD2.
gunnersfan_us

Hahaha I use poltical and media names too.  In Counterstrike my name is Bill O'Reilly, so when I win the match or get a lot of kills I can annoy people and yell "The spin stops here, beeyatches!"

1Lonehawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 1Lonehawk
Member since 2005 • 873 Posts
I started using Lonehawk back when I was first exploring online stuff like BBS's and Netphone chatrooms back in the 386 days (somewhere around '92-'93) on a friends comp. I used to be known as a bit of a "lone wolf" back then. My formal initials in german are H.A.W.K. So I just sort of merged the two parts of my persona into an online handle. Been using it ever since for all online chat/game/forums etc. I'm kinda sentimentally attached to it now since I've been using it for so long. :)

The only reason I use any variations is if "Lonehawk" itself is already taken, so the variations themselves have no meaning really, just functional equivalents. So far, only here and on poker stars did someone else have it. Everywhere else i'm registered/signed up with I have just "Lonehawk.".....afaik that is. :oops:

It's kinda funny/ironic that hawks are my favorite birds but that had nothing to do with me making my handle way back when. :)
visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#47 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts
Tiberian Sun was the first game I played online back in 98 or 99.  I think it was Christmas 98.  Anywas I took my name from the visceroids if you didnt already figure that out.  I have stuck with name for the people that know me.  I know of a few people that have copied my name.  Apparently one of the new Power Ranger's name is Visceron...   I don't know how they came up with that.  Found that out by searching for my name.
portujoel5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 portujoel5
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts
my name is Joel.
Number 5 is always around me (might be paranoia)
when I was little, I was very very white, and had light hair. My fathers are kinda brown, dunno how it's called, tropical people, that is. So, my father told my mother one day that I looked like a portuguese kid. They made a joke out of it. But then, one day, my grandmother was at a little shop near my house with my mom, and she saw the owner of the store, a portugues man, and told my mother I looked like that man. "is he the father?" she asked, and that was the second joke about me being portuguese, and know people call me portu, so... that's all
THERSOfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 THERSOfi
Member since 2005 • 1214 Posts
I have had THERSOfi since year 2000ish. It all started in a game of UT. I was thinking a name, and I randomly typed in a group of letters at fast as I could... then I switched some letters around and... THERSOfi was the finished product. I put the f and the i in lower case because it reminded me of microsoft for some strange reason.And its been my name ever since. And alot of people say my name wrong it's (THERE-SOF-EYE) :P
Nonfaith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 Nonfaith
Member since 2005 • 638 Posts
I was in a christian chat room on AOL back in the day and picked a handle that was sure to annoy people. It stuck.