Honestly, how is iBuyPower

This topic is locked from further discussion.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#1 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

I've heard everything from the worst horror stories to the best success stories about IBP. I need a cheaper gaming PC to play new games on medium settings. I absolutely am not going to build my own. For those who have had recent experience, what is your opinion?

I was completely turned off by IBP until I read this, so now I'm undecided again.

arya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 arya24
Member since 2009 • 393 Posts

they use refurb parts and dont know what customer service is. i suggest build ur own

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 krazyorange

they use refurb parts and dont know what customer service is. i suggest build ur own

arya24

I absolutely am not going to build my own.

krazyorange

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
Then ibuypower is probably your best alternative.
waqster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 waqster
Member since 2006 • 503 Posts

Why not build, whats wrong?

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Duckman5

Why not build, whats wrong?

waqster
I would like to know this also. It's cheaper and you get better parts.
Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts
As much as you may not want to build your own, I'm sure everyone here would recommend it.
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 krazyorange
I don't have the time or the desire. I'm simply asking for experience with IBP :)
daGAWDly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 daGAWDly1
Member since 2007 • 316 Posts

its not difficult at all, i think the most intimidating thing about looking at an open computer are the wires and sata/ide cables, u can probably get it together in one sitting, and probably the hardest part is learning about what things are compatible and picking out the right parts. what i did was take a crappy old computer sitting in my basement and take it apart and put it back together for fun after watching some youtube videos

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 krazyorange
I'm not going to build my own.
wealknea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wealknea
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
They use refurb parts and I would rather go with a smaller company instead of one that could care less about it customers. Alienware is the same way in that it just grew way to big and ever since then, their support has been diminishing with a whole bunch of negative reviews. Also, Ibuypower owns Cyberpower so reviews for cyberpower and ibuypower would go together. So anyways, I found this list with the companies that are the highest rated on the BBB. Stealth Machines AVA Direct Velocity Micro Realm Computers Digital Storm Vigor Gaming
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
My brother got a machine once from those guys, I was actually surprised by it when it came to the house. The thing actually lasted for about 3 years without any issues and they all hell broke loose once the PSU went and it pretty much just blew the thing apart. They do use a lot of generic non-branded parts like for RAM and PSU. The motherboard was an ASUS board on a socket 939 and a eVGA nvidia 7800GTX. Of course this thing was bought in like 03 or 04. Hard telling what they are like now.
simpsons1fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 simpsons1fan
Member since 2005 • 3056 Posts
If you wont even consider building you own, you dont even deserve help. This forum has been flooded lately with people asking about alienware, and not wanting to build their own...
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
i would say use them for laptops; as for desktops, build your own.
Lyron-Baktos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lyron-Baktos
Member since 2008 • 334 Posts

I would definetley say build it yourself, if that is absolutely out of the questions then my 2nd choice would be to find a local comuter repair shop (not just some guy on craigslist, but an actual shop that will warrenty their work, usually its for 90 days) and ask them how much they would charge to assemble a comuter for you from parts you brought in (should be around ~$120 depending on what they charge per hour, much more than that and its a rip off), then just pick out the parts you want. This way would would get quality parts that you want, and save a little $. This way you will also have lifetime warrentys on things like the mobo and graphics card depending on who you buy it from, if you buy pre-built usually you just get a 1yr warrenty.

cs45F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cs45F
Member since 2008 • 1147 Posts
Ok heres an actual answer to your question the company you listed is a decent one that will make a custom computer that has the parts you want at a lower price than you would pay for say a dell or hp but the only downside is you get that at the price of support its not really top notch if you want to go the prebuilt route go with ibuypower or avadirect.
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 krazyorange

So Ibuypower will give me exactly what it advertises? so it won't last as long as a dell, but I looked at Dell's site and the parts in a $600 IBP costs around $1300 on dell.

What about getting an IBP through newegg or another reseller? I've heard from other people that the tech support then defers to Newegg, and there's is quite a bit better. What would you think of this?

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts

either will give you Average 1680x1050 norm gaming rather then 1920x1200 enthusiast gaming for the price range you can make ur own like Cake-walk with all part selected but since you'r so determined to buy a 250GTS / 285GTX at price of TWO 4890 1GB up to you.

Try avadirect / Ibuypower / Cyberpowerpc : you will all the way get a rip-off but much less then HP / Dell you can rest assured that the Fissure in ur wallet will be less big

I saw a PC from ibuypower at 1279$ on newegg.com that ad one core i7 920 + 285GTX + 1TB HDD + 3x2GB DDR3 8500

Iv Done someting about 35% better at 1218$ : core i7 920 + Asus P6T X58 + PSU Of 750W / 3x2Gb 1600mhz OCZ GOLD + 1TB HDD + 4890 1GB Vapor X Sapphire + HAF 932 + DVd Drive + 2.1 speaker Logitech (25$) + FREE OS (window 7 RC 64 bits english)

But don't buy anything with AMD From Ibuypower they use Low end X4 which aren't that great : I seen a X4 925 in a build of 1200$ + Two 4770 512 meg

Two 4770 is something similar as HD4890 / 285GTx in performance but cost more
If you compare ibuypower to cyberpower pc it seem cyberpowe pc charge you less for overpriced material

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 krazyorange

That's way above my price range, which is -at most- $750. I have crappy monitors so I wouldn't ever play above 1280x1024.

Given I will play at that resolution, what would the minimum system I would need to get be if I wanted to play new games for the next year. Also, medium settings are fine with me.

Thanks!

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 marcthpro

then you should wait Hd5870 lauch : LordEc911 said it lauch at end of September : hopefully it True
750$ ? ouch.. any pre-build with that have crappy video card such as 9500GT (troublesome)...

100-200$ for a good video card in own-build : for 750$ ud have something at last potential such as HD4870 / 4890 1GB or Nvidia Solution : gtx 260 216 core / 275GTX a cpu from modern gaming costt from 50-200$ : a motherboard 50-200$ : ram 30-40$ : case 30-40$ / Psu 50-100$ 550-750W :

There some combo on newegg that provide example : 200$ cpu + 170$ mobo for 300$ (70-80$ Saving)
while the OS is FREE to 100$ (Free = Window 7 RC This offer don't last long. in about one week no one can download window 7 RC That is duration 2010 May / June

But since you'r so determinate to buy either a 250GTS 1GB / 9500GT there no stopping you. you just get any pc with average video card : enjoy
we can ask people to look around here on Ava direct / cyberpower pc / Ibuypower / newegg.com to see pre-build that at last Defeat HP / Dell

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 krazyorange

That's the whole thing, I want a computer I have to do absolutely nothing to when I take it out of the box. No mods, nothing.

What do you know about the GT220? It's on this rig, which has caught my attention.

Also, this computer is good looking, but someone in the user reviews said it was only a 300w PSU. Is this really that big of a deal? And why?

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Duckman5

Just get this. It's cheap and has what you need.

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 marcthpro

yeah that ibuypower with X2 550 BE + OC Is suposse to work good according here it would own Q6600 OC
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3572&p=9

pureskull123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 pureskull123
Member since 2007 • 350 Posts

"DELL AND ALIENWARE AND GOOD COMPANYS"

dont listen to retarded comments like this.

look for urself, Vigor gaming is overpriced company btw.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I wouldn't trust iBuyPower based off of the reviews. I bought my computer from Velocity Micro in march of 2007 and i havn't had any problems. They have some of the best support there is and when you call them you talk to an American, not some Indian person you can't understand. Their comptuers are all made by hand and they use good parts. I spent many hours comparing prices off of Newegg to the computers that they built and they were very reasonably priced. Mine cost $1414 and it still plays every game on max/high except for Crysis and a few RTS games.

WDT-BlackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WDT-BlackKat
Member since 2008 • 1779 Posts
[QUOTE="simpsons1fan"]If you wont even consider building you own, you dont even deserve help. This forum has been flooded lately with people asking about alienware, and not wanting to build their own...

+1
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 krazyorange
[QUOTE="WDT-BlackKat"][QUOTE="simpsons1fan"]If you wont even consider building you own, you dont even deserve help. This forum has been flooded lately with people asking about alienware, and not wanting to build their own...

+1

Well I'm not asking about alienware, nor am I flooding this forum. If you don't want to help, then don't post. That simple.
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 krazyorange
To everyone else who helped: thanks! It was a big help and I'm much closer to making a decision.
Katakalypto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Katakalypto
Member since 2009 • 220 Posts

I've heard good things about them,although I've never used them myself.

I would reconsider building a pc if I were you.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I'm not going to build my own.krazyorange
Stop being a little girl and do it.(I built my own pc when I was 11-12) It only takes one hour. And yes they are alright...

daGAWDly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 daGAWDly1
Member since 2007 • 316 Posts

you could always get your dad or somthing to do it ooorr u can stop being a wussy :P ive seen a video of a 12 year old putting his own computer together

Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
[QUOTE="simpsons1fan"]If you wont even consider building you own, you dont even deserve help. This forum has been flooded lately with people asking about alienware, and not wanting to build their own...

Wow that's harsh, If he wants to buy prebuilt, let him, there is nothing wrong with it. Anyway, Ive heard nothing but good from CyberPowerPC, which is owned by IBP so I've heard, I imagine the same quality goes for both companies.
RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts
I think you'd be better off buying a pre built from newegg. It's a great site
SgtMoreless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SgtMoreless
Member since 2009 • 311 Posts

i would say use them for laptops; as for desktops, build your own.paullywog

Wrong. Build your own desktops and build your own laptops. I saved around $500 on my laptop and can play cod waw on high settings for a little over $1000. Crysis on Medium to high settings with steady frames of 30+.

NauthiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 NauthiX
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts

i would say use them for laptops; as for desktops, build your own.paullywog

exactly this.

though... who buys laptops for gaming??

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 krazyorange

I'm not daunted by the task of building my own computer. I have built one in the past, and I've installed/fixed components for over ten years. The point is that I have x amount of dollars and that's it. If I make one miscalculation or error, that's it: game over. I'm still recovering from spine surgery and my classes start in a month, so I have no more savings, no more loans, no more collateral, et cetera. I have the PC Gamer do-it-yourself guide from a year ago or so, but I'm simply not willing to take the risk. While I appreciate (immensely!) all the help you guys have provided, I still refuse to build my own.

So next time read what I said: "I'm not building my own." I even had to repeat myself multiple times. JigglyWiggly, why don't you stop being a girl and learn to read. It might help you later on in life.....although the change of you actually achieving a life is fairly slim. And by "fairly slim," I clearly mean "impossible." How's your parents' basement going for you?

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

I'm not daunted by the task of building my own computer. I have built one in the past, and I've installed/fixed components for over ten years. The point is that I have x amount of dollars and that's it. If I make one miscalculation or error, that's it: game over. I'm still recovering from spine surgery and my classes start in a month, so I have no more savings, no more loans, no more collateral, et cetera. I have the PC Gamer do-it-yourself guide from a year ago or so, but I'm simply not willing to take the risk. While I appreciate (immensely!) all the help you guys have provided, I still refuse to build my own.

krazyorange
I don't see why you'ld need a guide i built one at 14 just by using the motherboard manual, they're much better guides than anything else i've seen. By the looks of it you really don't have the free money to spend on a PC at this moment in time, save it then when you get better get a job and you'll be able to afford a good new PC.
SgtMoreless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SgtMoreless
Member since 2009 • 311 Posts

So next time read what I said: "I'm not building my own." I even had to repeat myself multiple times. JigglyWiggly, why don't you stop being a girl and learn to read. It might help you later on in life.....although the change of you actually achieving a life is fairly slim. And by "fairly slim," I clearly mean "impossible." How's your parents' basement going for you?

krazyorange

10 years of trouble shooting. Book on how to build. Miscalculation? lol

Whatever, waste your money. You clearly dont have enough...what with your surgery. Dont you think you should maybe cut a few corners and SAVE YOURSELF SOME MONEY BY BUILDING YOUR OWN!?!?!?!

you clearly have the knowledge...

lol it's like you just walked into church and told everyone you need to be saved but dont know where to start. Everyone is forcing there beliefs upon you.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 krazyorange

Everyone is forcing there beliefs upon you.

SgtMoreless

Way to sum up your own idiocy. I clearly stated that I'm not going to build my own computer under any circumstances, stated my [completely-valid] reasons, yet every other comment suggested that I build my own. Why do people reply if they aren't going to read the first post and offer constructive assistance? Please, by all means continue acting childish. But I'm done.

AVADirect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AVADirect
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Hello Krazyorange.

Here's is a PC spec'd out under the budget you set for yourself:

· ANTEC, Three Hundred Black Mid-Tower Case, ATX, No PSU

· ANTEC, Basiq BP550Plus, 550W, 24-pin ATX12V EPS12V, One 6-pin + One 8-pin PCIe

· ASUS, P5QL Pro, LGA775, Intel® P43, 1600MHz (O.C.) FSB, DDR2-1066 16GB /4, PCIe x16, SATA 3 Gb/s /6, HDA, GbLAN, ATX, Retail

· INTEL, CoreTM 2 Duo E7500 Dual-Core, 2.93GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2 Cache, 45nm, 65W, EM64T EIST XD, Retail

· KINGSTON, 4GB (2 x 2GB) ValueRAM PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz CL5 SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC

· EVGA, GeForce® GTS 250 Superclocked 771MHz, 512MB GDDR3 2246MHz, PCIe 2.0 x16 SLI, DVI /2, HDTV-Out, Retail

· WESTERN DIGITAL, 500GB WD Caviar® BlackTM (WD5001AALS), SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 32MB Cache

· RAID, No RAID, Independent HDD Drives

· SONY, AD-7241S Black 24x DVD±R/RW Dual-Layer Burner w/ Lightscribe, SATA, OEM

· ALPS, DF354H Black Internal 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive

· NONE, No Operating System (Choose OS or subject to Limited Support)

· WARRANTY, Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, 3 Year Labor Warranty)

Notice that there is no OS included with this quote. You can easily use your previous operating system with this one, as long as it's retail and not OEM. Regardless, if you can find it in yourself to spend another $100-$120 foranOS with thissystem it will be well worth it.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,

Joseph Mundy

joseph.mundy@avadirect.com