HL2 Series is not a FPS!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Store24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Store24
Member since 2007 • 1146 Posts

It's a "First Person Grab and Throw-er"! Personally I think they just over use the gravity gun in the whole series. A little of it would be cool but it just goes on and on and gets really old. Theseries is basically a pig puzzle game where you grab and throw your way through the episodes. Grabenergey balls and throw them in holes to turn on power, grab gas cans and throw them at bad guys instead of just having a good grenade launcher like Opposing Force. Push cars over holes so spiders can't spawn out... On and on....

I miss the original Half Life games which were real shoots, no gravity guns!!

HavocEbonlore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 HavocEbonlore
Member since 2007 • 483 Posts
So I guess you think Doom 3 is a "First Person Flashlighter"? Phail.
Ghardon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Ghardon
Member since 2003 • 310 Posts

Well, this is certainly a unique take on HL2.

Personally, I didn't see it that way. I don't think that the grav gun was intended to replace tradtional shooting, but rather to augment it. It is still possible to complete the majority of non-puzzle parts of the game using only firearms, but I find that I enjoy having the option to use the grav gun in combat if I want to.

I'm also not entirely convinced that HL was any more a straight shooter than HL2; there was an awful lot of puzzle solving in there.

Avatar image for ixi311downerixi
ixi311downerixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 ixi311downerixi
Member since 2004 • 887 Posts

yea i miss Hl1 also

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
I never get tired of the gravity gun.
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
Well I'm not a huge fan of the gravity gun and I feel they overused it a bit, but it's still a FPS first and foremost. And like said already HL1 has some similar puzzles as well.
acsguitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 acsguitar
Member since 2005 • 1840 Posts

The gravity gun is my least favorite part of the series most definitely. So I feel ya.

Especially if you are currently playing EP1

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Last I checked the gravity gun.. IS still a gun that you must fire... You do not need to use that weapon every chance you get, so I think its a rediculous point.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Gravity... GUN.

Most of the action in all three of the HL2 games revolves around shooting... whether using bullets or physics objects.
jorgeluisbl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jorgeluisbl
Member since 2005 • 1479 Posts

I never get tired of the gravity gun.RK-Mara

Me neither, I think it's one of the coolest weapons ever made

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
At the very least its original. Most of the shooters these days feature either a lazer gun of some sort or an m16/ak47....now thats boooring.
fillup0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 fillup0
Member since 2005 • 398 Posts

I think they should have the gravity gun only come for puzzles and certain levels. HL2 is just too fancy with the gravity gun...

Haee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Haee
Member since 2006 • 1378 Posts

The gravity gun is probablyone of the finest aspects of Half Life 2 in my opinion.

And also has it ever crossed your mind that you can actually shoot things with the Gravity "GUN"?

Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Citan76
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts
If you don't enjoy shooting saw blades and cutting zombies in half with them or shooting propane tanks and setting them aflame then that is your problem. The puzzles in HL2 are easy and are hardly the majority of the game. You make me sad.
ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
I like the gravity gun but I can agree with you that they overused it in episode 1 but in episode 2 there was just the right amount of gravity gun.
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

Theseries is basically a pig puzzle game

Store24

LOLZ i don't know about everyone else but that made me laugh :D

DeathStar17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 DeathStar17
Member since 2005 • 4858 Posts
Gravity Gun is the single greatest weapon ever....
marcus4hire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 marcus4hire
Member since 2003 • 2684 Posts

Ah, the gravity gun is not overused. First time I played through I used it for a bit and then literally forgot about it. Made it through the game without needing it really.

But then I rememberedit when I was almost at the end. Not toworry, I just went back through and played itagain with the gravity gun.

Gravity gun FTW!

wizard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wizard90
Member since 2007 • 1464 Posts
I know! I get what they are trying to do, with making more ineresting enimies rather than mindless guards and more interesting gravity weapons rather than boring guns, but it really gets over the top sometimes, im not a huge fan of the gravity gun I dont like the sound it makes and it dosent have a very nice feel to it.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

half life 2 isn't a first person shooter, though - it is first person, and there are guns, but that doesn't make it a first person shooter

when i think of a first person shooter, i think of a game where the purpose and the point and the focus of the gameplay is the act of killing enemies, but in half life 2 - the actual gunplay is almost incidental... it's not the focus of the gameplay and, pound for pound, i'd say half life 2 probably has much less gunplay than almost any other pure fps out there...

but that aside, yeah, there is a lot of gravity gunning - personally, i think it'a fun tool... maybe they overdid it a bit, but i never felt it detracted from the experience

habitat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 habitat
Member since 2003 • 260 Posts
dude, i have no idea what you are talking about. i barley used the gravity gun in the HL2 series at all...its not like you're forced to use it throughout the entire game, what a pointless rant. just dont use the damn thing if you dont like it, if you have to use it for a couple puzzles here and there whats the big deal? even in multiplayer more people kill/get killed by guns than they do by flying objects. i just dont see the harm, its such a unique and interesting aspect in the series.
kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kyrieee
Member since 2007 • 978 Posts

half life 2 isn't a first person shooter, though - it is first person, and there are guns, but that doesn't make it a first person shooter

when i think of a first person shooter, i think of a game where the purpose and the point and the focus of the gameplay is the act of killing enemies, but in half life 2 - the actual gunplay is almost incidental... it's not the focus of the gameplay and, pound for pound, i'd say half life 2 probably has much less gunplay than almost any other pure fps out there...

but that aside, yeah, there is a lot of gravity gunning - personally, i think it'a fun tool... maybe they overdid it a bit, but i never felt it detracted from the experience

mfsa

The gameplay is very focused on shooting. The game does more than that, it tells you a story, but the player's involvement in the game is pretty limited to shooting.

Judza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Judza
Member since 2004 • 4637 Posts

I came here thinking that the arguments were gonna be good. But instead all I find is another person who's got a beef with the gravity gun. Don't go relabeling the game genre just because you don't like the gravity gun.

According to wiki - First-person shooter Article, I would say Half Life 2 fits the description of an FPS.

- Game world is from a visual perspective of the player
- Tests skills with aiming guns and other projectile weapons etc.

I'm sorry OP, but you fail.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#24 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
So I guess you think Doom 3 is a "First Person Flashlighter"? Phail.HavocEbonlore
:lol: good one :)
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

mfsa

I guess by your logic Bioshock must be a underwater simulation.

dbzfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 dbzfreak
Member since 2003 • 6223 Posts

I came here thinking that the arguments were gonna be good. But instead all I find is another person who's got a beef with the gravity gun. Don't go relabeling the game genre just because you don't like the gravity gun.

According to wiki - First-person shooter Article, I would say Half Life 2 fits the description of an FPS.

- Game world is from a visual perspective of the player
- Tests skills with aiming guns and other projectile weapons etc.

I'm sorry OP, but you fail.

Judza
That pretty much sums it up.
XturnalS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 XturnalS
Member since 2004 • 5020 Posts

lolz u fail!!!! Grav gun is the single greatest gun in the history of gaming...EVER!!!!!

I just got done replaying the ravenholm section of HL2 which is just a showcase for the grav gun and man-o-man shooting huge saw blades at zombies and cutting them in half never gets old!!!

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#28 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Overclocked gravity gun (blue color) > * That thing becomes like god giving you the finger and taking a dump in your mouth. :o
Store24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Store24
Member since 2007 • 1146 Posts

lolz u fail!!!! Grav gun is the single greatest gun in the history of gaming...EVER!!!!!

I just got done replaying the ravenholm section of HL2 which is just a showcase for the grav gun and man-o-man shooting huge saw blades at zombies and cutting them in half never gets old!!!

XturnalS

To each their own. The ravenholm part of HL2 I found so boring I never even finished the game. I hated that part, the saw blades were so stupid and the fact that they stopped giving you ammoat that point to force you to use the GG just pissed me off!

Now I'm playing EP1 and you don't even get a gun other than the GG until like an hour into the game, and even then you just keep facing those spiders that keep spawning no mater how many you kill until you use the GG to block the holes. Again even though they give you a pistol and shotgun the design the game again to for you to use the GG. They should just change the name of the series to "Gravity Gun Run". :roll:

Zemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zemus
Member since 2003 • 9304 Posts

So you whine and complain about a few puzzles?

You probably spend 85+% of HL2/Ep1/Ep2 without even using the Gravity Gun unless you CHOOSE to. You seriously need to rethink the use of it. If you are just choosing to use it then thats your fault if your bored of it.

and to the reply complaining that ravenholm is all GG and no Ammo ROFL why not try SEARCHING FOR AMMO. There is LOTS. I barely even used the GG in Ravenholm except for the graveyard because it lets you have fun with it, and thats what? 1 area of Ravenholm out of............50? I mean geez grow up man.

Do I enjoy the Gravity Gun? Of course I do, Do I HAVE to use it? No. But If I seriously walk into a room with 3-4 barrels ill choose to save my ammo eventhough in the next 2 rooms ill probably get another 36 Shotgun shells or a couple clips for the machine gun, Why? BECAUSE ITS FUN.

Ghardon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ghardon
Member since 2003 • 310 Posts

... What?

Ravenholm probably has more shotgun and magnum ammo than anywhere else in the game, for one.

Secondly, most of the challenging combat in that section required you to do some pretty quick shooting (fast zombies, poison headcrabs). Frankly, the only way I can see you getting through Ravenholm without a lot of shooting is on easy mode, if you're lucky enough to find a lot of physics objects on the roof - not likely. And really, if you can't make it through there without running out of ammo (especially considering the sheer number of explosive barrels around) you have got to be pretty bad at ammo conservation.

I'm tempted to call you a troll and leave this thread to die, but this is sort of fun. :)

Pessu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pessu
Member since 2007 • 944 Posts
Do you know what fps stands for? A game where you shoot and its from the first person perspective. So yeah hl2 is a fps no matter how you spin it. Gravity gun is a gun too.