Hey guys could use some expert speaker help asap

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Just bought a new video card..Had a huge problem 3 days ago..My widows all of a suddon was acting funny..It had lines in the video..Had the 8800 was a great card as long as it lasted..Think the hard drive an video card went at same time..Well it took me 2 days to reinstall vista..Good thing i had two hard drives..Had to put vista into my new hard drive which is1000 mb..Any how every thing finallybooted up..Now as i was installing stuff..Last night i heard a pop..Had to reboot the system an so i did..Every thing worked well after that..Figured out i had to install windows in my secondary drive an so forth..Well now that every thing is up an running..The sound isnt working..

Ive got the x540 5.1 surround sound speakers..They worked great before..Now there not working at all..Ive tried googling an tried every thing..Even tried microsoft making sure the drivers are up to date..Im determined to get the speakers up an running again..Now ive checked the sound area..It says its not plugged in..How ever with that said it is plugged in..Ive got the green wire connected to the green button in the back like ive always had...Tried taking every thing off an putting the wires back in...Now im hoping that pop didnt blow any thing..The lady in logitech doesnt think it did..There still not working..Also if your wondering about my video card i upgraded to..The x250 1 gig of ram..Wanted a better card atm how ever im only running a 550 power supply..My next rig im going to buy a 800...

Any advice would be much appreciated..Please help im not sure what else to do..Nor what else to figure out...Your the experts around here with hardware an software..Im just a novice in this area..Im lucky i got this far on my own lol..Installing a video card was the easy part..

omnimodis78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2 omnimodis78
Member since 2008 • 48 Posts

It's hard to narrow down any such issues by reading your post - try to summarize a little bit and make things shorter, and I assure you that more people will respond. That said, I have a few questions (and please don't get offended, I know these are basic, but I know from experience that sometimes it's good to look at things from a basic point of view):

1. When you power on your controller, does it light up? If so, when you press the 3D matrix button, does the green light come on for that also?

2. The popping sound, did it come from the speakers or did you hear a pop coming from your computer case?

3. When you turn on the speakers, do you hear a very quiet (normal) pop sound from the subwoofer? Put your ear right there and check?

4. Are you 100% sure that everything is connected correctly? If in doubt, disconnect everything and do it again.

5. Please clarify if you're using a soundcard or onboard sound. Does windows recognize an audio device? Is it installed correctly?

I look forward to your reply!

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
That pop was a capacitor blowing. Chances are the power supply in your speakers is bust, unless you want to open it up and add a new capaciter yourself you'll have to get a new pair. Check this by using another sound output device such as headphones straight out of the PC, if this works it's the speakers that are the issue.
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gladestone1

Its the same as before when it worked..Hooked the same way nothing was changed..Im guessing its my capacitor like the other fellah said..It came from the sub woofer it sound like a pong very loud..Was praying it wasnt my video card cause its brand new..How ever just tested the witcher on it an it runs find..My brother told me to try an leave it off unplugged for a half hour tried that nothing..Still not working..Ah well good thing it only cost me 50 bucks for these..Ill just have to wait an buy new speakers..Sucks not having any thing to listen though..Not sure there is any thing i can do atm..

omnimodis78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#5 omnimodis78
Member since 2008 • 48 Posts

For sure it was a fuse! I had the same thing happen to my Logitech Z-5500 but fortunatelly it was still under warranty and I actually got a replacement system (I actually ordered the replacement fuse but they all kept popping so Logitech decided to just replace the whole system). Sorry about your luck, such things happen it just sucks when it's you... :(

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gladestone1

Ya it does suck..Ah well these where only 80 bucks..Ill have to just wait next month an buy a new pair..Three things went on me..The old hard drive, video card an speakers all in one day..Well my 8800 was old any how..So picked up the nvidea 250 1 gig of ram video card..Im using a tigabite for a secondary hd thank god i still have that as a back up..Even when i tried to reinstall windows in the old hd it was sticking nothing worked..So i just tried the secondary drive an it worked...Well ill have to upgrade a few things this year any how..Im buying a new power supply some time during the year..My 550 is just getting old..Ill upgrade to a 1200 watt one..An grab a new hd sooner or later..Ill buy another tigabyte as a back up..The more room ive got for games the better these days...

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 rastan
Member since 2003 • 1405 Posts

Sounds like you only blew the fuse. Why not get a new fuse 2 amp fuse first and see if it fixes it? Should only cost a couple of bucks. Here's a similiar posting:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/53163-6-logitech-5500-fuse-replacement

Bring the fuse with you to Radio Shack or Napa/Car part store and you should be able to get a replacement.