Heros of Might and Magic...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts
Guys Im looking to get into this series now that I have played the latest demo. My question how do the older games in the series stand up to the newest release? As a newcomer to the series, which game would be my best starting point?
Avatar image for WorldComingDown
WorldComingDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 WorldComingDown
Member since 2010 • 358 Posts

I think most people will recommend the Heroes of might and magic 3 complete pack and then you'll be set. That's the way I'd go personally. Get it over at GOG.com if you like digital download services.

bloodreaperfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 bloodreaperfx
Member since 2006 • 415 Posts
Guys Im looking to get into this series now that I have played the latest demo. My question how do the older games in the series stand up to the newest release? As a newcomer to the series, which game would be my best starting point?ShoTTyMcNaDeS
The game itself is pretty noob friendly when playing on low difficulties, it has a brief tutorial campaign and well...thats pretty much it. You can get into the series without any problems, but you'll probably wont have a clue about who is who and what happens until later in the game. As for the Heroes 3 suggestion....meh...some things have changed. Sure the core system remains the same but I see no reason to start with it. Unless you really want to follow the root of the series.
ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
So you are saying just get the newest one and enjoy the better visuals that come with it?
bloodreaperfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bloodreaperfx
Member since 2006 • 415 Posts
So you are saying just get the newest one and enjoy the better visuals that come with it?ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Its not only about the visuals, some game mechanics changed as well, since heroes 3. I'm saying that you can start the series with number 6 without problems.
ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
OK cool thanks!
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

I recommend starting with the original game, or at least Heroes 2. Those old games have a charm I just can't fully describe. The interface, graphics, sound, it just has such a magical, mystical feel to it, that I don't quite get with the newer games in the series. In some ways, the balance is better than Heroes 4-6. The AI doesn't cheat as much.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#8 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

3 is best in the series, try that

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

Heroes 2,3,5 and possibly 6, haven't played, are the ones worth getting into. Heroes 3 is the best between gameplay and graphics (h2 is my favourite but the graphics are really dated). H5 is alot like 3 except it does not explain the mechanics very well... visit a windmill and randomly get gold?

It's worth keeping in mind its a really niche game, people largely prefer the gameplay over graphics which is why the later ones are not good in many of the fans eyes.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
I bought HoMM 5 from Impulse for $4.99 and am LOVING IT!!! Once 6 drops in price a bit, I will most definitely be picking it up!! It is weird how all of these years I was so closed minded to the RTS genre and now some of my favorite games are HoMM 5, Dawn of War 2, SC2 and Command and Conquer.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
I bought HoMM 5 from Impulse for $4.99 and am LOVING IT!!! Once 6 drops in price a bit, I will most definitely be picking it up!! It is weird how all of these years I was so closed minded to the RTS genre and now some of my favorite games are HoMM 5, Dawn of War 2, SC2 and Command and Conquer. ShoTTyMcNaDeS
It's good to hear that you are enjoying the game. In case you have not bought the expansions, do try to get those too as the last expansion makes the game even better by adding alternative upgrades and and a orc faction with a much more unique ability.
grisibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 grisibur
Member since 2004 • 600 Posts

H5 is alot like 3 except it does not explain the mechanics very well... visit a windmill and randomly get gold?

timma25

So if a guy with 100 to 5000 soldiers (and / or angels, demons, dragons) pop up by your windmill and says hi, would you not give them something for not killing you and burning your windmill down for giggles? I would :(

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

..id get my powerfeet and show them who's boss.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Im enjoying six for what it is.Is it perfect nope..Id like them to change the castle design thats just lame..Why go with pictures rather than a build up thing like in civilization..WHo ever thought this was a good idea needs to get slapped..Seriously its just a bad idea..They need to go back to castle upgrading the right way..Im hearing they are working on it..Devs should pay attention to the fan base more often..

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
Most of the older ones are better then the new ones... 2,3,5 is "ok" while 4 is considered bad i find it ok also. 6th... meh...
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

I like Heroes 4. The best thing about it is that it has the best music in the series, and some of the best music in gaming history. The main complaint I have seen about the game is that people don't like the fact that heroes play such a big and direct role in the combat. I never had much problem with that, and I still could enjoy the game. The campaigns were very challenging, but they were beatable. The adventure map has a great variety of different locations to visit for various bonuses. If you can get passed the fact that they went a different direction with the heroes, I think this is a great game.