Help with config'n boot manager? (dualbooting xp and 7)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

5ssj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 5ssj
Member since 2004 • 328 Posts

Hello people

i was tryna dual-boot xp & 7.....i had 7 installed first so i installed xp later (i do know now its better to install xp 1st, but hey i didnt know b4)

anyways i couldn't get in to w7, so i kinda played arnd with this bootrec option in cmd.exe (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392)

and now im back in 7, but i dont get bootmgr wen i restart, it goes directly to w7

anyone have any solutions to fix this w/o using 3rd party softwares?

thanks in advance

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

Try this....

Put your XP installation disk in and restart your computer and boot from the XP installation disk. Run a repair. That should fix your problem if I remember correctly.

When you want to dual boot (triple boot, quadrupedal boot, etc....Yes, I knew a guy that had ever single Windows version from 3.1 up to Vista all on one hard drive - it took a bit of creative work to get them all to get along, but he showed me) , always install the older operating system first. This way the new OS will notice you have an older version on and not overwrite the option to choose which OS to boot from. You'll be presented with an option when you start your computer. The option will say Start Windows 7 or Start Older Windows Versions (or something along those lines).

5ssj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 5ssj
if i did that, wudnt xp rewrite the boot record? and therefore i will be back to where i was in the begining, when i was goin straight into xp, no option to choose w7...
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

Indeed. Don't run a repair from XP since it will destroy the windows 7 boot record.

Windows provides a command tool (Bcdedit.exe) to configure the boot manager since the boot.ini from previous window versions is no longer available. It's not easy to use so I recommend using a program like EasyBCD that provide a graphics interface to do the same thing.

5ssj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 5ssj
yea i heard of that program but i want to leave that as my last resort...i'd like to do it myself if possible anyone familiar with the bcdedit.exe, that can help me configure this?
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 neatfeatguy
if i did that, wudnt xp rewrite the boot record? and therefore i will be back to where i was in the begining, when i was goin straight into xp, no option to choose w7...5ssj
I was kind of out of it yesterday, I meant to put in the Win 7 disk and run a repair. I've done something similar before, had Vista installed and then installed XP. I would only boot into XP, no option to pick which OS I wanted to load. Just running a repair from the Vista disk solved the problem. It should work the same with Win 7.
5ssj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 5ssj
by "repair", do you mean reinstall w7 without formating the drive?
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 neatfeatguy

by "repair", do you mean reinstall w7 without formating the drive?5ssj

Vista, when you're going through the installer there's a Repair option you can click on (seen in picture below)

I don't have Win 7, but perhaps there is something similar.

5ssj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 5ssj
its the exact same thing......but in w7 theres a lot more options wen i click it ( like check for hdd errors, cmd.exe, etc, etc).....wat i want to know is what you want me to do...wen u click repair in vista, what does it do? does it reinstall vista?
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 neatfeatguy
its the exact same thing......but in w7 theres a lot more options wen i click it ( like check for hdd errors, cmd.exe, etc, etc).....wat i want to know is what you want me to do...wen u click repair in vista, what does it do? does it reinstall vista?5ssj
It just repairs any missing files, like it would for any repair. So the boot record is recreated and things should be working as they always should have been if you were to load XP first then Vista (or Win 7).
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

He doesn't need to repair. His windows 7 is working. It's the windows XP partition that is not (because it was installed afterwards).

I listed the bcedit commands. Why not using a third party program? I am a application engineer and even I use that program rather than the command line tool.

Here is some more help on the bcdedit command

5ssj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 5ssj

He doesn't need to repair. His windows 7 is working. It's the windows XP partition that is not (because it was installed afterwards).

I listed the bcedit commands. Why not using a third party program? I am a application engineer and even I use that program rather than the command line tool.

Here is some more help on the bcdedit command

Gog
exactly what i was looking for, thank you very much, it works now :)