HDMI cable recommendations?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

I know this might sound very strange, but after having problems with "cheap" cables, I was wondering if any of you guys have bought a series of HDMI cables that just have worked perfectly for at least a few months without audio / video hiccups and what not?

I know more than well that the one's that are upwards of $30+ (and even the freaky expensive ones) are pretty much pointless, but I think I could deal with spending $15-$20 each on some cables. But I figured I'd see if any particular brands / types of HDMI cables were really great to go with.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Price doesn't change a single thing,it's digital. Signal or no signal
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Price doesn't change a single thing,it's digital. Signal or no signalMonsieurX

The only thing I've noticed is cheaper cables are more suseptible to interference from other sources, like cell phones. The result is the picture drops out completely when I place my phone too close.

-Byshop

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Price doesn't change a single thing,it's digital. Signal or no signalMonsieurX

Exactly this. I laugh when Im at best buy and see a $200 monster hdmi cable in someones cart.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Get this!111 http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Digital-Audio-Ethernet-Connection/dp/B003CT2A6I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Get this!111 http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Digital-Audio-Ethernet-Connection/dp/B003CT2A6I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_topMonsieurX

brb robbing bank to buy 20 of these amazing cables

For reals though just go to Monoprice.com and grab some cables.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Get this!111 http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Digital-Audio-Ethernet-Connection/dp/B003CT2A6I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_topChubbyGuy40

Read some of the reviews for that cable :lol: On topic, I paid £5 for a 5m cable for connecting my AV receiver to my monitor and it's worked well for about a year now.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I know this might sound very strange, but after having problems with "cheap" cables, I was wondering if any of you guys have bought a series of HDMI cables that just have worked perfectly for at least a few months without audio / video hiccups and what not?

I know more than well that the one's that are upwards of $30+ (and even the freaky expensive ones) are pretty much pointless, but I think I could deal with spending $15-$20 each on some cables. But I figured I'd see if any particular brands / types of HDMI cables were really great to go with.

jesuschristmonk
I've had good experience with mediabridge, at least with what I am using it for. People will say this and that, in regards to it being digital, but fact of the matter there is more to it than that. For one, the heads on cheaper cables, well, feel cheap. They're often poorly constructed and heavy in all the wrong places. Then you take into account warranty coverage. To my knowledge part of the draw of a nicer cable is not only the better build and testing involved, but they also tend to have some type of relationship to warranty. For example, if I were to buy a Sony 4k tv for half a millin dollars, I would NOT buy a $3 no name brand cable. I'd look for a cable with some kind of guarantee on it.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kraken2109
[QUOTE="jesuschristmonk"]

Heirren
I've had good experience with mediabridge, at least with what I am using it for. People will say this and that, in regards to it being digital, but fact of the matter there is more to it than that. For one, the heads on cheaper cables, well, feel cheap. They're often poorly constructed and heavy in all the wrong places. Then you take into account warranty coverage. To my knowledge part of the draw of a nicer cable is not only the better build and testing involved, but they also tend to have some type of relationship to warranty. For example, if I were to buy a Sony 4k tv for half a millin dollars, I would NOT buy a $3 no name brand cable. I'd look for a cable with some kind of guarantee on it.

I'd rather by a £5 cable from amazon, if it dies within a year amazon will probably take it back, if not, replace it and you've spent £10 - not a big deal.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="jesuschristmonk"]

kraken2109

I'd rather by a £5 cable from amazon, if it dies within a year amazon will probably take it back, if not, replace it and you've spent £10 - not a big deal.

I'm not referring to the cable becoming damaged.  I'm referring to cables giving a guarantee on the product it is used for.  On an expensive product I want a good fit on the AV device or tv, and certainly don't want the cable weighting down the connection. 

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kraken2109

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Heirren"] I've had good experience with mediabridge, at least with what I am using it for. People will say this and that, in regards to it being digital, but fact of the matter there is more to it than that. For one, the heads on cheaper cables, well, feel cheap. They're often poorly constructed and heavy in all the wrong places. Then you take into account warranty coverage. To my knowledge part of the draw of a nicer cable is not only the better build and testing involved, but they also tend to have some type of relationship to warranty. For example, if I were to buy a Sony 4k tv for half a millin dollars, I would NOT buy a $3 no name brand cable. I'd look for a cable with some kind of guarantee on it.Heirren

I'm not referring to the cable becoming damaged.  I'm referring to cables giving a guarantee on the product it is used for.  On an expensive product I want a good fit on the AV device or tv, and certainly don't want the cable weighting down the connection. 

I have to say I've never had that problem or felt a cable was too heavy for the connection.
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

Bought a 20 meter HDMI cable for 25 bucks (20 euro) a couple of days ago at AlleKabels (a Dutch on-line shop which has literally any cable you can dream of) and it works perfectly fine, just like that 5 dollar 1.5 meter cable I have...

Both are sitting on a powered Marmitek HDMI splitter, cuz the digtal TV-decoder I have, courtesy of my provider, has only one HDMI outlet...

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006ZTGA4/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

40 cents, 2 meters, works perfectly

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

I've never had an issue with "cheap" cables. 

Mavlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mavlow
Member since 2007 • 223 Posts
I get all my cables from Monoprice...very cheap and good quality. check it out
sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Get this!111 http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Digital-Audio-Ethernet-Connection/dp/B003CT2A6I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_topkraken2109

Read some of the reviews for that cable :lol: On topic, I paid £5 for a 5m cable for connecting my AV receiver to my monitor and it's worked well for about a year now.

Just read those reviews, HAHAHA, brilliant. Yeah just buy a $5 cable, they all do the same thing.

quikdash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 quikdash6
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts

I've got about 4 of these now. At least one of them has been connected and working great for about 4 years. They feel nice and solid.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019EHU8G/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
I've only ever bought cheap cables (mainly from Argos here in the UK, I don't trust online) and they've always worked fine with no problems.
J_Edwards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 J_Edwards
Member since 2013 • 26 Posts
Is it possible that cheap cable have issues and the cable have more expensive is very good.....
_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Price doesn't change a single thing,it's digital. Signal or no signalByshop

The only thing I've noticed is cheaper cables are more suseptible to interference from other sources, like cell phones. The result is the picture drops out completely when I place my phone too close.

-Byshop

Ive never heard of that before. I must try.

quikdash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 quikdash6
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts
Is it possible that cheap cable have issues and the cable have more expensive is very good.....J_Edwards
The more expensive cable are indeed better most of the time, but still not worth the price they are sold for. With cheap HDMI cables you may get a dud here or there, but you could buy another 3 good ones to replace it and still spent less than those expensive cables.
costyssj4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 costyssj4
Member since 2005 • 473 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Price doesn't change a single thing,it's digital. Signal or no signal_SKatEDiRt_

Exactly this. I laugh when Im at best buy and see a $200 monster hdmi cable in someones cart.

It is different in some cases, for example some support fullHD 3D and some dont. Some support 4K resolution and some dont.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
[QUOTE="J_Edwards"]Is it possible that cheap cable have issues and the cable have more expensive is very good.....quikdash6
The more expensive cable are indeed better most of the time, but still not worth the price they are sold for. With cheap HDMI cables you may get a dud here or there, but you could buy another 3 good ones to replace it and still spent less than those expensive cables.

I've only ever bought cheap HDMI cables and I've never had any duds. Are you just assuming cheaper HDMI cables break more often because they're cheap or do you have personal experience of cheap HDMI cables breaking?