Have EA/Bioware thrown in the towel on ToR?

• 159 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

It appears there have been some pretty big layoffs at The Old Republic camp. Is there anyone around who still wants to claim the game is healthy and doing fine?

Poor Bioware. I only hope other developers actually take notice and begin to realize that nobody wants another cookie-cutter-me-too MMORPG. Are you paying attention Bethesda?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
They are adding content continuously. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/developer-diary-star-wars/730361 Hopefully not, I hate seeing PC developers go bad, I want PC games to thrive and be successful.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Remember folks: Flower boy only likes to play games from 1995!
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -wildflower-

Remember folks: Flower boy only likes to play games from 1995! biggest_loser

Wow, you're so clever. :roll:

Not that I would expect anything even marginally intelligent from you, of course.

supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 supras989
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts

He makes a good point, in 2012 the MMORPG is the new FPS, everybody is trying to pump one out, some look great but others look so same ol and just a waste of resources, my strong gut feeling is that TESO will fall on its face, I don't even think there are enough interested players around to populate all of the different MMOs coming out haha.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -wildflower-

....Hopefully not, I hate seeing PC developers go bad, I want PC games to thrive and be successful.FelipeInside

The problem is most people don't want to play a WoW knockoff when they can just play the real thing. I really don't see the point in companies trying to beat Blizzard at their own game. Developers need to differentiate themselves from WoW, not copy it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]....Hopefully not, I hate seeing PC developers go bad, I want PC games to thrive and be successful.-wildflower-

The problem is most people don't want to play a WoW knockoff when they can just play the real thing. I really don't see the point in companies trying to beat Blizzard at their own game. Developers need to differentiate themselves from WoW, not copy it.

I think companies aren't trying to beat Blizzard in the MMO scene, they know that's impossible, they are just trying to get a good share of the market to sustain profit. (which ToR so far is doing). The whole "this new MMO will beat WoW" is a thing made up by the gamers.
Darocy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Darocy
Member since 2011 • 141 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]....Hopefully not, I hate seeing PC developers go bad, I want PC games to thrive and be successful.-wildflower-

And a very bad copy is no copy at all - may the force be with you NOT.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]....Hopefully not, I hate seeing PC developers go bad, I want PC games to thrive and be successful.Darocy

And a very bad copy is no copy at all - may the force be with you NOT.

I agree that it does copy things from WoW (which MMO doesn't these days), but at the same time it tried to introduce new things as well.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

The MMO market has grown oversaturated ever since F2P gained traction as a business model. People are overwhelmed by the choices arrayed in front of them.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

The MMO market has grown oversaturated ever since F2P gained traction as a business model. People are overwhelmed by the choices arrayed in front of them.

The_Capitalist
Correct, and one poster here said something very interesting and true. I will quote supras989 "I don't even think there are enough interested players around to populate all of the different MMOs coming out haha." Not only that, but MMO players these days tend to move very quickly from new MMO to new MMO.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Remember folks: Flower boy only likes to play games from 1995! -wildflower-

Not that I would expect anything even marginally intelligent from you, of course.

There there. One day they'll remake Baldur's Gate for you son!
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Um, maybe for the story and environment? Believe it or not, the WoW universe and the Star Wars universe are vastly different. I'd be more than willing to give the game a try if it weren't $15/month. I'd never pay that much to play ANY game.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Remember folks: Flower boy only likes to play games from 1995! biggest_loser

Actually, they HAVE !!! Hahahahahahah. Flower Boy must be happy as hell. I'm still waiting for Baldurs 3....
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]....Hopefully not, I hate seeing PC developers go bad, I want PC games to thrive and be successful.Toxic-Seahorse

Um, maybe for the story and environment? Believe it or not, the WoW universe and the Star Wars universe are vastly different. I'd be more than willing to give the game a try if it weren't $15/month. I'd never pay that much to play ANY game.

Think of it as a service more than a game (like a Gym or Music Spotify). They also have a trial if you want to try it out.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

FelipeInside

Actually, they HAVE !!! Hahahahahahah. Flower Boy must be happy as hell. I'm still waiting for Baldurs 3....

Oh yees but it'll only suit his needs if it comes with the original pages of the manual, laminated and bound with nothing but cheese from the original Bioware fridge!
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"] There there. One day they'll remake Baldur's Gate for you son!

Oh yees but it'll only suit his needs if it comes with the original pages of the manual, laminated and bound with nothing but cheese from the original Bioware fridge!

The extended 1200 page manual that is...
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

FelipeInside

Think of it as a service more than a game (like a Gym or Music Spotify). They also have a trial if you want to try it out.

Yeah, I was thinking about the trial. I understand that it's something that is constantly updated and what not, I just can't justify spending that much money on a video game. Maybe for $10/month, but that would also be pushing it.
santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Is this really surprising? The game has launched and made it through the needed early game fixes. Sounds like the right time to size the team going forward towards content updates and expansion. A full dev staff simply isn't needed. :|

Thrown in the towel... please.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Um, maybe for the story and environment? Believe it or not, the WoW universe and the Star Wars universe are vastly different. I'd be more than willing to give the game a try if it weren't $15/month. I'd never pay that much to play ANY game.

Yeah, I was thinking about the trial. I understand that it's something that is constantly updated and what not, I just can't justify spending that much money on a video game. Maybe for $10/month, but that would also be pushing it.

Not trying to convince you but give the trial a go. As for the price, yes I agree cause it hurts my wallet too. But I tend to think of it like this. Most new games these days cost around $60 ($80-$100 here in Australia). They give you mostly 10 hours of SP play (apart from long RPGs). An MMO gives you unlimited play for the whole month for $15, which is a Big Mac Meal you eat in 15 minutes if you think about it...
jhalter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jhalter1
Member since 2011 • 302 Posts

It appears there have been some pretty big layoffs at The Old Republic camp. Is there anyone around who still wants to claim the game is healthy and doing fine?

Poor Bioware. I only hope other developers actually take notice and begin to realize that nobody wants another cookie-cutter-me-too MMORPG. Are you paying attention Bethesda?

-wildflower-
Bioware/EA deserves it. They put out a pile of crap.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#24 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

So tired of simpletons calling every MMO a WoW clone, get a new schtick please.

This is coming from someone who thinks TOR is a failure of a game, but it has nothing to do with being a WoW clone. It did plenty different enough to separate itself from WoW, it just is not a great game.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

The best part about this is how the Doctors try to spin the layoffs into a feel-good story.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -wildflower-

.... It did plenty different enough to separate itself from WoW, it just is not a great game.

vfibsux

Such as?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

.... It did plenty different enough to separate itself from WoW, it just is not a great game.

-wildflower-

Such as?

Oh c'mon. The Companion System. The Story system. The way the story works with groups (each persond deciding) Flashpoints. Space Combat, which although linear is still a nice break from the normal planet combat (and I believe they are planning to introduce PvP and Co-op PvE in Space) The Legacy System. and more that I can't remember right now.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

Also, it's the Austin Texas Studio that created ToR, and all their employees are hired mostly as contract jobs. I was looking at the artist positions and unlike the canada studio, they don't offer any actual permanent positions. So maybe thats why, contracts are up at the studio.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts
Remember folks: Flower boy only likes to play games from 1995! biggest_loser
The same year he was born in, you mean?
kyle_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kyle_360
Member since 2009 • 530 Posts

patch update 1.3 is due out soon, with alot of changes that will make thhe game better and attract more players, like group finder, and server change

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

Doesn't surprise me - if you heap a bunch of fluff on the same used, recycled $&%# that's been done over and over again - the end results are not going to be pretty. This game killed itself due to its severe lack ambition - it's probably the most gigantic oxymoron in existence within the gaming industry. Its lucky its as successful as it is.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Bethesda is smart, it won't follow the same path as Bioware did with ToR, they're making a singleplayer game that will be sold as a MMO with heavily instanced zones...wait what? They should can it before they lose more money, as for ToR, don't really care, it's a boring singleplayer game and a terrible MMO that lacks polish for even the most basic things.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]Bethesda is smart, it won't follow the same path as Bioware did with ToR, they're making a singleplayer game that will be sold as a MMO with heavily instanced zones...wait what? They should can it before they lose more money, as for ToR, don't really care, it's a boring singleplayer game and a terrible MMO that lacks polish for even the most basic things.

ToR is more of an Online Co-Op game than an MMO. If you play it thinking that it's heaps better than playing it thinking it's a full blown MMO.
jhalter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jhalter1
Member since 2011 • 302 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="DanielDust"]Bethesda is smart, it won't follow the same path as Bioware did with ToR, they're making a singleplayer game that will be sold as a MMO with heavily instanced zones...wait what? They should can it before they lose more money, as for ToR, don't really care, it's a boring singleplayer game and a terrible MMO that lacks polish for even the most basic things.

ToR is more of an Online Co-Op game than an MMO. If you play it thinking that it's heaps better than playing it thinking it's a full blown MMO.

I agree with that. Although paying $15 a month for a decent co-op game doesnt seem worth it.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Maroxad  Online
Member since 2007 • 23970 Posts

Sucks, especially in this economy.

I may find SWTOR to be a uninspired and poorly designed game. But this really sucks for the people who lost their jobs. I hope that those affected can find new jobs. I also hope, SWTOR's development isn't too set back by this.

I also hope this is a message, that tacking on a story, especially one as poorly written as SWTOR's is not a good idea for an mmo. And make the game less derivative.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

There's only so long an extremely linear game that's very similar gameplay wise to every other mmorpg with the only difference being that...it's more linear and has more of a personal story (lol) than others can go on pretending to be healthy and doing fine. The reports are saying that most servers are on light, which means less than 100 players in a server. By comparisson, I see over 2k players on a niche pirvate server of a niche sandbox mmorpg I play....

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FelipeInside

There's only so long an extremely linear game that's very similar gameplay wise to every other mmorpg with the only difference being that...it's more linear and has more of a personal story (lol) than others can go on pretending to be healthy and doing fine. The reports are saying that most servers are on light, which means less than 100 players in a server. By comparisson, I see over 2k players on a niche pirvate server of a niche sandbox mmorpg I play....

QQabitmoar
How do you know light means 100 players? Are u in charge of BioWare servers? And what's wrong with personal story in an MMO?
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

FelipeInside
How do you know light means 100 players? Are u in charge of BioWare servers? And what's wrong with personal story in an MMO?

Story is fine, the problem is your character, when he/she speaks 5h!7 hits the fan...it's a complete disaster instead of making a scripted dialogue for everyone they wanted to go the Bioware way and give choice and they're choices are exactly like a Malkavian in Vampire TMB, except in Vampire it was funny and unique because the character is crazy, in SWtOR the character is terrible because it wants to be serious. "Help me with this dreadful task young traveler and I shall spoil you with mighty rewards" - in a cool, awesome, patient voice "1. I like to eat ponies." - in a dreadful pubescent girl/boy voice "2. I will kill you and all your family you piece of Rancor waste" - in a psychotic and annoying voice "3. I will help you, but promise me candy" - in an almost half decent voice The writing of personal character speeches is the worst I've seen in a game ever, it goes way beyond the terrible Oblivion and the voice doesn't "drag it down" either, it's on the same level of terrible.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Maroxad  Online
Member since 2007 • 23970 Posts

And what's wrong with personal story in an MMO? FelipeInside

The problem with a "personal" story is that it doenst really fit in well with the whole massively multiplayer part.

You know, you saving the whole world, killing the big bad (which could have been fine and all had it not been cliche, cheesy and overdone as ****). You are the choosen one... along with the other few thousand chosen ones in this very station, all who have the exact same destiny as you.

Story and mmo just dont mix well.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

[QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

FelipeInside

From reports. My friend who unsubbed said there were less than 50 people in his server most of the time and the indication was 'Light'.

On the story thing, I think it's just stupid in an MMO. You are playing the same personal story, watching the same cutscenes, killing the same bad guy every other play does. But isn't the same true for single player games? Yes, but in single player games you don't actually see the other dudes running around playing the same perosnal story you are, the big evil dude you just killed respawning a few minutes later.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a rich *baground* story and lore in an MMORPG. But when it comes to perosnal story, it seems kinda stupid to me how you are the chosen one etc etc and there are hundreds more 'chosen ones' running around you at the same time. I think MMORPGs should have a rich baground story and lore, as for a personal story, they should provide the tools to create your story yourself through interacting with other players. For example, I've mostly played on private servers in Lineage 2, and I've got countless stories of politics, wars, betrayals, drama etc.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -wildflower-

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]Your name certainly suits you. Baldur's Gate? You really have no idea what you're grunting on about but, again, I'm not surprised.

Son? I probably have moles on my sack older than you.Lonelynight

I don't think you should even bother with talking to biggest loser, he's a sacking pile of sh!t.

You know what's funny, certain people are allowed to troll these boards with impunity yet others are banned and moderated for the tiniest infractions. Just look at this thread. How many DB's have simply attacked me without adding anything, not a single word or thought, to the topic (biggest_loser, SkyTard20, ect.). If Gamespot had any standards I'd be inclined to think there were double standards at play.

Back on topic: I wonder how long before EA throws in the towel on Bioware completely and the good Doctors go the way of Westwood, Bullfrog, and Origin? I guess they could always make Facebook games. Oh, wait...

It seems like people don't even want to play Bioware's crappy games when they're free.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19592 Posts

Back on topic: I wonder how long before EA throws in the towel on Bioware completely and the good Doctors go the way of Westwood, Bullfrog, and Origin? I guess they could always make Facebook games. Oh, wait...

It seems like people don't even want to play Bioware's crappy games when they're free.

-wildflower-

I don't know, man - Bioware's upcoming Command and Conquer game might keep them afloat until Mass Effect 4.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

QQabitmoar

From reports. My friend who unsubbed said there were less than 50 people in his server most of the time and the indication was 'Light'.

On the story thing, I think it's just stupid in an MMO. You are playing the same personal story, watching the same cutscenes, killing the same bad guy every other play does. But isn't the same true for single player games? Yes, but in single player games you don't actually see the other dudes running around playing the same perosnal story you are, the big evil dude you just killed respawning a few minutes later.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a rich *baground* story and lore in an MMORPG. But when it comes to perosnal story, it seems kinda stupid to me how you are the chosen one etc etc and there are hundreds more 'chosen ones' running around you at the same time. I think MMORPGs should have a rich baground story and lore, as for a personal story, they should provide the tools to create your story yourself through interacting with other players. For example, I've mostly played on private servers in Lineage 2, and I've got countless stories of politics, wars, betrayals, drama etc.

Yes it sort of looks weird doesn't it, that's why I said that ToR works better as an Online Co-Op Game rather than an MMO
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

Planeforger

I don't know, man - Bioware's upcoming Command and Conquer game might keep them afloat until Mass Effect 4.

If you think they are going to throw in the towel you are delusional. There are currently 1.7 million subscribers which is profit with those numbers. A lot of other MMOs wished they had over 500,000. Now in the future it might go F2P, it might not....doesn't meant it has failed, I just personally think the subscription model is becoming obsolete and is being replaced with F2P, microtransactions and things like the Real Money Auction House in Diablo 3.
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

YOU LIEK MASS EFFECT? LOL!

YOU LIEK KOTOR? ROFL!

YOU LIEK BIOWAER GAEMS?

you must be michael bbay fanboi.

speciael aeffect? jeawhu i no wat dey r michael bbay use em.

game has cutscene so is michael bay inspired.

wildflower is a joke.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -wildflower-

If you think they are going to throw in the towel you are delusional. There are currently 1.7 million subscribers which is profit with those numbers. A lot of other MMOs wished they had over 500,000. Now in the future it might go F2P, it might not....doesn't meant it has failed, I just personally think the subscription model is becoming obsolete and is being replaced with F2P, microtransactions and things like the Real Money Auction House in Diablo 3.FelipeInside

There are not 1.7 million subscribers (if there ever were). Even EA admits this, I'm not sure why you can't. Who is the delusional one again? The game is failing and it's rate of attrition is horrendous.

You may think the current 1.3 million subscribes EA claims to have is something to brag about, and for any other medium to small budget MMORPG it might be, but, when you factor in that the game cost upward of $200 million to produce, still has to payout for infrastructure, employees, marketing, etc., and the game has lost 25% of its subscribers in the past few months, while it was expanding into new territories, the picture isn't quite so pretty. In fact, it looks pretty bleak.

The subscriber model can still work but probably not on something as lackluster and lacking in ambition as ToR.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 -wildflower-

YOU LIEK KOTOR? ROFL!

YOU LIEK BIOWAER GAEMS?

wildflower is a joke.

SkyWard20

Oh, little peanut, you're going to have to try harder than that. Maybe you should go watch some anime or buy a new cosplay outfit and calm down.

Poor, Mr. Woo...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FelipeInside

YOU LIEK KOTOR? ROFL!

YOU LIEK BIOWAER GAEMS?

wildflower is a joke.

SkyWard20
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=learn+to+write+english&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]If you think they are going to throw in the towel you are delusional. There are currently 1.7 million subscribers which is profit with those numbers. A lot of other MMOs wished they had over 500,000. Now in the future it might go F2P, it might not....doesn't meant it has failed, I just personally think the subscription model is becoming obsolete and is being replaced with F2P, microtransactions and things like the Real Money Auction House in Diablo 3.-wildflower-

There are not 1.7 million subscribers (if there ever were). Even EA admits this, I'm not sure why you can't. Who is the delusional one again? The game is failing and it's rate of attrition is horrendous.

You may think the current 1.3 million subscribes EA claims to have is something to brag about, and for any other medium to small budget MMORPG it might be, but, when you factor in that the game cost upward of $200 million to produce, still has to payout for infrastructure, employees, marketing, etc., and the game has lost 25% of its subscribers in the past few months, while it was expanding into new territories, the picture isn't quite so pretty. In fact, it looks pretty bleak.

The subscriber model can still work but probably not on something as lackluster and lacking in ambition as ToR.

Great reading, out of all my post all you read was 1.7 million subscribers. Congratz.