Hard off vs soft off

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StarWatchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StarWatchers
Member since 2006 • 143 Posts

Hello guys and gals.

I'm here to find out how many people actually close down there computers normaly. I have always held down the power button for 10 seconds and let it shut off, I always figure that if I had any problems myself could just correct them. When Im at other peoples computers who always turn them off by shutting down windows and wait until the machines shuts down normaly, they sometimes give me a negative or worried look when the computer is turned off my usual way.. Now Personaly I have never had a problem arise from my machine when I do this in the last 3 years so I assume nothing could happen or if anything does I have the knowledge to correct the mistakes.

So how do you guys do it?

nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 nimatoad2000
Member since 2004 • 7505 Posts
you should always shutdown from your operating system, if you just press the button, you might corrupt a file in progress, any program in progress, lose any info you didnt save, fry a piece of your hardware.. exc... DONT DO IT.
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts
You should soft off, this allows Windows to cleanup when you're shutting down. Once Windows is done cleaning up and making sure all your hardware and software is ready for shut down it issues the power off command to your motherboard (essentially what holding down the buttons does). What I generally do is just hit the power button on the case once, this issues a shutdown command to Windows. I turn off my monitor and speakers and walk away and let Windows do its thing. Like nimatoad2000 said, you're likely to have corrupted some files, especially if your filesystem is NTFS (which it should be if you're on XP or higher) which uses file caching. That's why Windows runs chkdsk when you shut off like that, to check for corrupted files.
IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts
The way my computer works is if you tap the power button just tap it does exactly the same as windows... Logs off quits programs etc...
StarWatchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 StarWatchers
Member since 2006 • 143 Posts

But I have had no problems in years... everything works just as the day i bought it. havent fried anything or lost any infomation from shutting down this way... windows doesnt even want to check the disks anymore. I get the "windows didnt turn off properly" display a few times, start up normaly and everything is back to working the way it is.

I don't think it's luck that nothing has happened to my machine that maybe too many people are paranoid about damaging computers. same thing about viruses as well, I have a firewall but not an anti-virus, I think the less informed people need these anti virus software that costs alot but personaly the only time your attacked these days is if you keep clicking ok and accept dodgy emails, websites and other files that you shouldnt be sayings yes too.

I know what your thinking that im an idiot but I do actually like my computer and take it apart /clean it out once a month..

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts
[QUOTE="StarWatchers"]

But I have had no problems in years... everything works just as the day i bought it. havent fried anything or lost any infomation from shutting down this way... windows doesnt even want to check the disks anymore. I get the "windows didnt turn off properly" display a few times, start up normaly and everything is back to working the way it is.

I don't think it's luck that nothing has happened to my machine that maybe too many people are paranoid about damaging computers. same thing about viruses as well, I have a firewall but not an anti-virus, I think the less informed people need these anti virus software that costs alot but personaly the only time your attacked these days is if you keep clicking ok and accept dodgy emails, websites and other files that you shouldnt be sayings yes too.

I know what your thinking that im an idiot but I do actually like my computer and take it apart /clean it out once a month..

So, what makes you inclined to turn it off like that as opposed to using the Windows shut down? Just curious, it doesn't really take much longer. I do it to let Windows finish up whatever its doing.