Halo 2 for Vista = 67% by PCG

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

YourOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 YourOldFriend
Member since 2005 • 4196 Posts

I just got my PCGamer and they reviewed Halo 2 for PC and gave it a 67% which equates to "above average," a major failure if you ask me. They listed

Pros:Epic Storyline, action-packed set-pieces, Live achievements (if you have Windows Live); a map editor

Cons: Abrupt ending, looks very dated, stiff mouse controls, easy AI, requires Vista, pricey ($50 for a 3 year old game)

Bottom Line: Proof-of-Concept for Live and tray/play functionality, but not worth $50 for most people.

Any thoughts on this? This may have been posted before since I tend to get my PCG late, which I apologize for if this is a repeat. I expected Halo 2 to be kind of a flop on PC unless they actually worked to get high res textures consistently throughout the game and improved lame console AI, but this is a bit lower than I expected. I think it had the potential to be an AA title on PC, but failed to put the right amount of work into it. 

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#2 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
That must be PC Gamer US? PC Gamer Uk gave it 65% I think.
Smithgdwg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Smithgdwg
Member since 2003 • 1886 Posts

It got what it deserved. And that is being generous.

I imagine Gamespot, being the Halo fanboys that they are, will give it at least an 85%. Probably more like a 90%.

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Sounds reasonable, lack of coop killed it for me

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts

Hopefully they make it moddable, so a mod team can come in and actually replace the crappy textures MS did with the PC port and put in some nice high-res ones.

The pricing of the game already pretty much kills it.  

whgresiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 whgresiak
Member since 2005 • 1889 Posts
You need to review it like it just came out. Don't think about the Xbox version, imagine that doesn't exist, then review it, see how it changes
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 onemic

You need to review it like it just came out. Don't think about the Xbox version, imagine that doesn't exist, then review it, see how it changeswhgresiak

it wouldn't really change a thing. The graphics are still extremely dated and the game is overpriced.  

SystemShock2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SystemShock2
Member since 2003 • 4172 Posts

You need to review it like it just came out. Don't think about the Xbox version, imagine that doesn't exist, then review it, see how it changeswhgresiak

Cons: Abrupt ending, looks very dated, stiff mouse controls, easy AI, requires Vista

those are all cons that don't make any difference for when i came out. i don't really think it would change much. It probably deserved a bit higher though, like a 75 or something.

Smithgdwg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Smithgdwg

I bet Halo 2 gets over-scored because it is an old game.

If this game came out right now, without its history on the X-Box, I really doubt it would get very good scores. I bet it would get critically panned. 3 year old graphics, crappy controls, a HEFTY price-tag, and a need to upgrade to Vista,......yuck. Shame on you Microsoft.

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
The price is definitely going to hurt sales and reviews.....    If they had simply charged $20 for it and offered it as a free download for Ultimate users.... It would be MUCH more succesful.  
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

[QUOTE="whgresiak"]You need to review it like it just came out. Don't think about the Xbox version, imagine that doesn't exist, then review it, see how it changesonemic

it wouldn't really change a thing. The graphics are still extremely dated and the game is overpriced.  

When was the last good PC FPS game really? UT 2004 or Battlefield or maybe Counter Strike? Come on there isn't that many great recent FPS games out there.

Also the reviewer based his review on the single player and that makes no sense.

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nitrous2O

The price is definitely going to hurt sales and reviews.....    If they had simply charged $20 for it and offered it as a free download for Ultimate users.... It would be MUCH more succesful.SuperBeast

Not a bad idea (this is an old game). It would immediately get additional Vista adopters for MS and get them Live exposure for the pc. It will all happen eventually anyway, just take longer.

underdark944

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 underdark944
Member since 2003 • 1368 Posts
[QUOTE="onemic"]

[QUOTE="whgresiak"]You need to review it like it just came out. Don't think about the Xbox version, imagine that doesn't exist, then review it, see how it changesDeihmos

When was the last good PC FPS game really? UT 2004 or Battlefield or maybe Counter Strike? Come on there isn't that many great recent FPS games out there.

Also the reviewer based his review on the single player and that makes no sense.

Make a little research there's alot more than you think. 3 years have passed since 2004.

eitremn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 eitremn
Member since 2004 • 806 Posts
for $20 i'd consider buying this to try it out.  for $50, not a chance in hell would i buy it.  not to mention it makes you upgrade to vista which is otherwise unnecessary at this point in time.
d12malu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 d12malu
Member since 2002 • 1023 Posts
Bungie is being led off a cliff, thanks to Microsoft. They should have stayed independent.
Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dracunos
Member since 2004 • 1154 Posts

They give the most generic of shooters like.. 70s, as long as they aren't actually flawed. The flaws they listed didn't seem that bad relatively. I think a 70 would have been a much better rating.. 70 is respectable, for a game that could be that bad considering so many people liked it (not just fanboys and such). It feels like they felt a 70, but they wanted to be all PC-based and anti-console like their fanbase and drop a few points just to make sure it wasn't in the 70's.

But I've never played it, I just couldn't imagine it being worse than games they've rated in the 60's for. I guess the price is pretty rediculous, though.. 

YourOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 YourOldFriend
Dracunos:

I'm going to have to disagree. GTA 3 and on have all been ports from consoles and have all been given AAA 90%+. If you look back only 2-3 issues in the letters, PCG editors actually admit that the console/pc war is very tongue in cheek and not taken that seriously by those in the business, so I doubt it has to do with bias.

If Hired Gun (the devlopers of the port, not Bungie, the designers of the original xbox version) had given more focus to upgrading to high res textures, controls that were on par with other PC shooters (I assume this means mouse smoothing and sensitivity possibilities), and cared about consumers by not forcing the Vista bandwagon on us, then I'm sure the game would have gotten closer to 80% or higher. Every score by every reviewer is reflective of not only the time put into a project, but the ideas and content that coincide with what users want. It's not about the dev, it's about the players.

axeman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 axeman87
Member since 2006 • 999 Posts
Not surprising really. I rented out Halo2 and played it on my X360 and it does look dated. I didn't enjoy it half as much as I remember. Just shows how quick technology moves.When it did come out I loved it, but I never saw the point in putting that game on as an exclussive Vista game, couldn't they find something a bit newer? I mean, you can rent out an Xbox1 and the game for a week for less than the game costs on PC. Crazy.
Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dracunos
Dracunos:

I'm going to have to disagree. GTA 3 and on have all been ports from consoles and have all been given AAA 90%+. If you look back only 2-3 issues in the letters, PCG editors actually admit that the console/pc war is very tongue in cheek and not taken that seriously by those in the business, so I doubt it has to do with bias.

YourOldFriend

I can't disagree or agree or anything on the subject, since it's just random opinion, but I can say that I  believe Grand Theft Auto is a pretty fricken terrible game to compare it to : p

Considering GTA was a PC game, and is as much 'pcgame-ish' as it is console-gameish, despite the fact that nowadays it's usually ported from consoles.. It doesn't have that same anti-console feel to it a lot of PC gamers have. In my mind, it will always be a mainly PC game, with a few thrown at the console children because it's mindless enough for them to enjoy it too : p no offense.

Halo is far, far different. It's what started the more popular versions of gamers today, and the limitless number of retarded and obnoxious arguments about how consoles are obviously way way better than PC games because look at halo it does this and this and i luv it. It's like a symbol of the console fanboy's anti-pc arguments that they repeat over and over despite numbers and obviousness that denies said arguments. The fact is, it's wasn't nearly as great as the console gamers thought it to be (although I could see why they'd think it was, considering the crappy FPSes they had available before then). I mean, consider that when Gears of War came out, and the console people started talking again about how great it was- the PC gamers really didn't have (relatively as much) of an 'omg you're rediculous that game's not even that great u retarded console person!', because Gears of War actually is pretty decent. At least decent enough, or unique enough, that it's slightly harder to argue against than Halo..

Basically, my point of that (I don't personally hate consoles or anything) is that Halo is just that game that PC gamers more often dislike, and it's like always the 'example' when childish PC gamers want to talk about how much better their PC games are.. This reply has gone on a bit longer than I had hoped, but I'm basically just trying to explain my reasoning for why I would guess Halo far over GTA, or other ports, that's all.. @_@

I do respect their reviews, however, and I love the magazine.. It's just.. Three little points of difference- basically the same rating if you were to consider buying a game that got a 70 or a 73% rating.. But 67.. Just feels off, I dunno 

YourOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 YourOldFriend

Drac-

I can't really argue with what you said, Halo is that game that XB players love to love and everyone else loves to hate. I think I understand where you're coming from, it's the first digit that matters a lot more than the second, that sound about right? 

Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dracunos

Drac-

I can't really argue with what you said, Halo is that game that XB players love to love and everyone else loves to hate. I think I understand where you're coming from, it's the first digit that matters a lot more than the second, that sound about right?

YourOldFriend

Sure, you can say it in three little puny WIMPY lines like that if you want. I however.. Am too manly and powerful for such a thing. Three lines.. Pff 

ppau08223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ppau08223
Member since 2006 • 705 Posts
there is no way im paying 50 bucks for that pile of ****
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts

Things I liked about the game:
-Tray and Play
-Map editor
-Music

Things I didn't like:
-Graphics
-Ending
-Mouse controls
-Level design
-Controls
-Vista requirement
-Price

Allan225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Allan225
Member since 2007 • 308 Posts
Now just think of how long we are going to have yo wait for Halo 3.  But personally I do not think Halo 2 is all that great.
Allan225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Allan225
Member since 2007 • 308 Posts
One more question who do you think will dominate PC or 360?
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"]

[QUOTE="whgresiak"]You need to review it like it just came out. Don't think about the Xbox version, imagine that doesn't exist, then review it, see how it changesDeihmos

You forgot three little games called HL2, far cry, and FEAR.  

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Deihmos
[QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="onemic"]

[QUOTE="whgresiak"]You need to review it like it just came out. Don't think about the Xbox version, imagine that doesn't exist, then review it, see how it changesonemic

HL2 is good but it's a single player and I played it a long time ago. Fear and Far Cry are mediocore multiplayer games. The single player is ok but they both suck bad online. Far Cry multiplayer was actually much better on the Xbox.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="onemic"]

HL2 is good but it's a single player and I played it a long time ago. Fear and Far Cry are mediocore multiplayer games. The single player is ok but they both suck bad online. Far Cry multiplayer was actually much better on the Xbox.

Far cry? Yes. FEAR? Hell no.

Also HL2 comes with CSS and HL2: DM so I don't know what you're talking about HL2 being SP only....

Also, since when did an average or even no MP automatically mean the whole game is bad? Is bioshock going to be mediocre just because it doesn't have MP? I don't think so.  

overberger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 overberger
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts
Go to Circuit City and get a copy..decide for yourself. I did yesterday and have to agree. t's nice but no HL2. It's nice to have something that runs correctly under Vista, though !
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

A game this old doesn't deserve to ask full price, let alone force you to swap to Vista.

I recently bought Quake 4, Doom 3 and UT2004 each for £6 in sales all run great on XP and have better graphics and are fun online.  There's no way a game that is as old/older than some of these can ask for full price - drop the price to budget and drop the Vista requirement, then you might get a success on the PC.

It's just too cynical to release this on PC now while at the same time promoting Halo 3 for 360.

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts
It was bound to happen. Bungie just can't make a good PC port. Halo 1 combat evolved recived low scores, Halo2 on PC is reciving low scores and future PC port of Halo3 will recive poor scores. If you want play Halo buy xbox/x360 in other case pass it.
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nitrous2O

It was bound to happen. Bungie just can't make a good PC port. Halo 1 combat evolved recived low scores, Halo2 on PC is reciving low scores and future PC port of Halo3 will recive poor scores. If you want play Halo buy xbox/x360 in other case pass it.shinian

Which is ironic considering Halo started out on the PC, until Bungie was bought by MS. Actually, it may have started out on the Mac even before the PC --- don't remember. It's usually some other devs doing the PC ports, but I agree, the PC versions could use more attention!!

lol_waffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lol_waffles
Member since 2006 • 1826 Posts
A 67% sounds reasonable for a port of an almost 3 year old console game. I'll be upgrading to Vista soon, so I might get it.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
No co-op?!  FK... just like the first Halo on PC.  I like how devs REMOVE features when porting games to PC.  That sure makes a lot of sense.
jorgeluisbl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jorgeluisbl
Member since 2005 • 1479 Posts

It got what it deserved. And that is being generous.

I imagine Gamespot, being the Halo fanboys that they are, will give it at least an 85%. Probably more like a 90%.

Smithgdwg

Yeah maybe. 

lol_waffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lol_waffles
Member since 2006 • 1826 Posts
No co-op?! FK... just like the first Halo on PC. I like how devs REMOVE features when porting games to PC. That sure makes a lot of sense.MyopicCanadian
Internet co-op is complicated. It would only work if two players connected to the same server that is not hosted by one of those two players. The reason for this is because, if one person connected to another person's computer to play, the enemy AI wouldn't sync.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#38 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]No co-op?! FK... just like the first Halo on PC. I like how devs REMOVE features when porting games to PC. That sure makes a lot of sense.lol_waffles
Internet co-op is complicated. It would only work if two players connected to the same server that is not hosted by one of those two players. The reason for this is because, if one person connected to another person's computer to play, the enemy AI wouldn't sync.

How does that make any sense at all?

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nitrous2O

[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]No co-op?! FK... just like the first Halo on PC. I like how devs REMOVE features when porting games to PC. That sure makes a lot of sense.lol_waffles

What about LAN co-op then? No, I think Microsoft really dropped the ball on this one! Removing features from a PC port of a 3 year old $50 game. :roll:

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Deihmos

[QUOTE="lol_waffles"][QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]No co-op?! FK... just like the first Halo on PC. I like how devs REMOVE features when porting games to PC. That sure makes a lot of sense.Nitrous2O

What about LAN co-op then? No, I think Microsoft really dropped the ball on this one! Removing features from a PC port of a 3 year old $50 game. :roll:

Who plays lan co-op? If any co-op was added it should be online co-op. It does have lan but not for the single player campaign.

spiltmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 spiltmilk
Member since 2007 • 278 Posts
[QUOTE="onemic"]

Stalker was released just 2 months ago, amazing game. HL2, Fear, Far Cry, geez, a little research goes a long way.

The review was accurate, Halo is vastly overratesd as it is, but then to charge $50, outdated graphics, an average sp campaign, it got what it deserved.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

That's why various Coop Games and Mods exist where someone can join another player's server just fine?

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nitrous2O

Who plays lan co-op? If any co-op was added it should be online co-op. It does have lan but not for the single player campaign.Deihmos

I really enjoy LAN coop in games!!! It's great for anyone that has multiple computers and more than one gamer in the house, or has friends that come over often. It can also be alot of fun at LAN parties.

Anyway, I would never say one type of coop is better than another (like internet vs. LAN), but it's too bad MS decided to drop a game mode from a game that orginally had it period :(

gabwa007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gabwa007
Member since 2003 • 615 Posts
Well i don t think it will be moddable like that but with Halo : Custom Edition, they remade every campaign map with new vehicles and textures, and release them as downloadable maps, u would then create a server and load the map with a console code.
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
PCGamer is my PC game review Bible.
Smithgdwg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Smithgdwg

[QUOTE="lol_waffles"][QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]No co-op?! FK... just like the first Halo on PC. I like how devs REMOVE features when porting games to PC. That sure makes a lot of sense.GodLovesDead

That's why various Coop Games and Mods exist where someone can join another player's server just fine?

Exactly, how do people play Half-Life Co-op then if it doesn't work?

llakallaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 llakallaka
Member since 2006 • 1230 Posts

nice...AT LEAST it went over 50 %...i thought worst...

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="onemic"]

LOL....You're a silly boy you are!!  

Farcry on PC was vastly superior, while the multiplayer wasn't that good across the board. Fear multiplayer is leaps and bounds greater than anything Halo has put on the board. Not to mention, it's free! Please, that's the most ridiculous statement I've read all day, even worse than the average System Wars comments. 

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#49 Cerza
Member since 2005 • 1946 Posts
I think a 67% was rather generous. Halo 2 has never been a good game in my mind. It was crap when it came out almost 3 years ago on the xbox, and it's crap now on the PC. My theory for the abrupt ending is that they did it because they didn't want to hear the complaints brought about by them making us play through the first couple levels again reverse order like they did with the original.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Deihmos
[QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="onemic"]

[QUOTE="whgresiak"]You need to review it like it just came out. Don't think about the Xbox version, imagine that doesn't exist, then review it, see how it changesmismajor99

LOL....You're a silly boy you are!!  

Farcry on PC was vastly superior, while the multiplayer wasn't that good across the board. Fear multiplayer is leaps and bounds greater than anything Halo has put on the board. Not to mention, it's free! Please, that's the most ridiculous statement I've read all day, even worse than the average System Wars comments. 

You are silly to think Fear has a great multiplayer. Battlefield is by far the best multiplayer game ever made. I can play it for years and I got bored of fear in no time. The game has no substance and even though it is free hardly anyone plays it.