Guild Wars 2 vs SWOR

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lellz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Lellz
Member since 2009 • 44 Posts

So how do you think it will turn out ?

Personally I think Guild Wars 2 will take this battle.. and even the war ( against WOW )

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

So how do you think it will turn out ?

Personally I think Guild Wars 2 will take this battle.. and even the war ( against WOW )

Lellz

Both are gonna do extremely well....

For some reason I see ToR lasting longer....

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

I'll take GW 2, but I'll keep an eye out for Star Wars

TheMistique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheMistique
Member since 2008 • 1421 Posts
gw2 looks like its a lot more polished and a lot more fun. TOR looks like it has a massive fanbase and bioware is tight too
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I honestly don't know what to expect from Guild Wars 2, but I'm pretty damn excited it's coming out.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts
personally im far more interested in GW2. as for which will be more popular..hard to say. the star wars licence didnt save galaxies from oblivion. its also going up against the juggernaut known as WOW. if it goes F2P then i could see it getting very popular but as a sub based MMO i have my doubts. i expect high sales but lower player retention in the med to long term. GW 2, like guild wars, will be the MMO for people who hate MMOs so its in its own niche. but GW1s achilles was getting a stream of content. the inital plan of releasing more content every 6 months quickly fell apart. i think GW2 will have plenty of content to start with (as did GW P) but they really need a tighter schedule for content this time round. the new content doesnt have to be big as a full GW1 game (every GW1 game is huge) but there needs to be stuff to keep people coming back. its going to be interesting to see how it pans out though.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

personally im far more interested in GW2. as for which will be more popular..hard to say. the star wars licence didnt save galaxies from oblivion. its also going up against the juggernaut known as WOW. if it goes F2P then i could see it getting very popular but as a sub based MMO i have my doubts. i expect high sales but lower player retention in the med to long term. GW 2, like guild wars, will be the MMO for people who hate MMOs so its in its own niche. but GW1s achilles was getting a stream of content. the inital plan of releasing more content every 6 months quickly fell apart. i think GW2 will have plenty of content to start with (as did GW P) but they really need a tighter schedule for content this time round. the new content doesnt have to be big as a full GW1 game (every GW1 game is huge) but there needs to be stuff to keep people coming back. its going to be interesting to see how it pans out though. osan0

Very good points.

I think it will also depend on the timeframe where each game will be released too....

JAYSC81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JAYSC81
Member since 2007 • 296 Posts

I will be buying both one F2P and other will replace WoW atleast hope but atleast have GW2 back it up.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Guild Wars 2 will win but against WoW, I find that impossible. But from all the MMORPGS that will be released this year GW2 will be the only one succesful.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside

I will be buying both one F2P and other will replace WoW atleast hope but atleast have GW2 back it up.

JAYSC81
They will do great, but neither of them will replace WoW....
XxChicagoTedXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 XxChicagoTedXx
Member since 2009 • 407 Posts

I think SWTOR will do better. First it has Bioware behind it, their track record is perfect, meaning it will probably also be amazing. Second, from what I have been hearing people say, this game is basically getting all the SWG players that played before it got all screwed up with those patches. I also see this game getting a huge marketing campaign behind it. Too bad it still won't beat WoW. I predict 5 million buy it 3 million keep with it.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#12 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

Before last yea'rs E3 I was really excited about ToR and could care less about GW2. After that, it completely flipped.

Personally ToR looks like it is going to be a sci-fi WoW clone with a better story. I mean come on, the graphics look really cartoony, even more so than WoW. I love Bioware, their games are some of my favorites of all time, but I think this one is trying to appeal too much to the WoW casuals. I could be completely wrong, but I am less and less impressed, the more I read. Plus you have the high likelihood that you will have nothing but a bunch of Sith Warriors/Jedi Knights running around and no one playing the other classes.

As for GW its exactly the opposite, the gameplay videos look amazing, and the info they are putting out seems like they are taking the good stuff from the first, implementing a better questing/event system, and making it truly MMO. The E3 video with the dragon last year was especially spectacular. Not to mention the graphics look really good as well. Now, the only problem i forsee here is if they don't SEVERELY drop the level of instancing. The cities, and raids/dungeons as well as PvP zones are fine, but if the out door areas have multiple shards on the same server I'm not interested. They haven't answered that one fully yet so time will tell.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside

Before last yea'rs E3 I was really excited about ToR and could care less about GW2. After that, it completely flipped.

Personally ToR looks like it is going to be a sci-fi WoW clone with a better story. I mean come on, the graphics look really cartoony, even more so than WoW. I love Bioware, their games are some of my favorites of all time, but I think this one is trying to appeal too much to the WoW casuals. I could be completely wrong, but I am less and less impressed, the more I read. Plus you have the high likelihood that you will have nothing but a bunch of Sith Warriors/Jedi Knights running around and no one playing the other classes.

As for GW its exactly the opposite, the gameplay videos look amazing, and the info they are putting out seems like they are taking the good stuff from the first, implementing a better questing/event system, and making it truly MMO. The E3 video with the dragon last year was especially spectacular. Not to mention the graphics look really good as well. Now, the only problem i forsee here is if they don't SEVERELY drop the level of instancing. The cities, and raids/dungeons as well as PvP zones are fine, but if the out door areas have multiple shards on the same server I'm not interested. They haven't answered that one fully yet so time will tell.

SerOlmy

I get what you mean, but remember BioWare has been using those kind of graphics for quite some time now (KOTOR1+2, Jade Empire)... and the other advantage is that more people can play ToR, since you don't need a stronger computer....

Also, I think lots of people will be playing other clases as well.... I've heard lots of interest in some of the other clases....

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SerOlmy
Actually I think KotOR2 looked better graphically than ToR does, at least from the shots and videos I have seen. The character models look like something out of the Clone Wars cartoons IMO. I could take it with WoW, but I'm not sure about ToR. As long as they implement the events well and make PvP worth doing, and most importantly have tons of endgame I think it will do well. I'm a sci-fi nerd, and although SW isn't really sci-fi, it's way better than WoW in my book. Guess what I'm saying is I can see myself playing it, especially because it will appeal to my friends who are casuals, but GW2 looks more appealing right now.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside

Actually I think KotOR2 looked better graphically than ToR does, at least from the shots and videos I have seen. The character models look like something out of the Clone Wars cartoons IMO. I could take it with WoW, but I'm not sure about ToR. As long as they implement the events well and make PvP worth doing, and most importantly have tons of endgame I think it will do well. I'm a sci-fi nerd, and although SW isn't really sci-fi, it's way better than WoW in my book. Guess what I'm saying is I can see myself playing it, especially because it will appeal to my friends who are casuals, but GW2 looks more appealing right now.SerOlmy

Yes, I get what you mean comparing it to KOTOR, but if you download and watch the HD videos of ToR, the graphics are pretty cool...... (I just wish they add more animations, as in trees moving, etc)

I too wanted ToR to look like Crysis... but I am going to give them a chance...

SW isn't Sci-Fi....? Whaaaaaaatttttt?

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SerOlmy

I'm not asking for Crysis or even Rift/GW2 level of visuals. But something approaching Dragon Age in terms of visual quality would be nice. As for the animations and such I think that is just that it is still in alpha. Once they get closer to beta/release it should be better. If not and animations on environmental objects are missing as you mention I will lose a lot of respect for Bioware.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

I'm not asking for Crysis or even Rift/GW2 level of visuals. But something approaching Dragon Age in terms of visual quality would be nice. As for the animations and such I think that is just that it is still in alpha. Once they get closer to beta/release it should be better. If not and animations on environmental objects are missing as you mention I will lose a lot of respect for Bioware.

SerOlmy
Yes, something towards Dragon Age would of been nice, but let's not fall in the trap of judging a game by it's graphics (like I did when I see Minecraft, lol....) And yes, the animations need to be improved....I still can't believe Trees in WoW don't move...
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
one of the areas where guildwars2 seems to be far ahead from swtor is combat. from all the class reveals and the combat articles the combat in guild wars2 seems to be engaging, particularly when you are with a bunch of buddies. in swtor, the combat looks very slow and uninteresting. the other thing is that arenanet are implementing systems that will encourage people to join in events and help each other out, for both fun and loot. in swtor, that area doesn't seem to have been explored much. if you want a story-heavy game that revolves around your character, what benefit do you have for bringing friends along? in guildwars2 you've got events like the shatterer (dragon from e3 or gamescom, cant remember) and realm-v-realm battles that involve hundreds of players. swtor just doesn't look that massively up to this point. lastly, we can expect itemization and looting to be similar to guildwars for gw2. not the best system, i agree, but it has its advantages and people have been known to like it. in swtor, i dont think we know much about items, crafting, and loot. i think guildwars2 will be better than swtor. compared to wow? considering bioware have said they need just 500k regular subs to generate a profit i don't think anybody cares. it's just a matter of preference.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Kh1ndjal"]one of the areas where guildwars2 seems to be far ahead from swtor is combat. from all the class reveals and the combat articles the combat in guild wars2 seems to be engaging, particularly when you are with a bunch of buddies. in swtor, the combat looks very slow and uninteresting. the other thing is that arenanet are implementing systems that will encourage people to join in events and help each other out, for both fun and loot. in swtor, that area doesn't seem to have been explored much. if you want a story-heavy game that revolves around your character, what benefit do you have for bringing friends along? in guildwars2 you've got events like the shatterer (dragon from e3 or gamescom, cant remember) and realm-v-realm battles that involve hundreds of players. swtor just doesn't look that massively up to this point. lastly, we can expect itemization and looting to be similar to guildwars for gw2. not the best system, i agree, but it has its advantages and people have been known to like it. in swtor, i dont think we know much about items, crafting, and loot. i think guildwars2 will be better than swtor. compared to wow? considering bioware have said they need just 500k regular subs to generate a profit i don't think anybody cares. it's just a matter of preference.

Basically you are saying GW2 will be better than ToR cause we don't know much about ToR....?
Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
i rly hate guild wars (the first one ) prolly the worst purchase in my life , but guild wars 2 looks not that bad ! anyway i think swtor will do better and be a better game in general than guild wars 2 , no doubt .
Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts
I think that GW2 will come out on top. They have really gone away with many traditional ways we think about playing MMO's and have crafted a new system which looks to become even better. I think GW2 the game I'm most excited for this year.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

I'm biased, I'll pick anything that's not Star Wars, cause I hate the whole franchise. So for this thread, I'll pick GW2.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I really still hate the fact that The Old Republic is going to be an MMO, mainly because that ruins the immersion and story for me. Seriously, how is the story of this game going to work when there are 10,000 other jedis running around?

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

I really still hate the fact that The Old Republic is going to be an MMO, mainly because that ruins the immersion and story for me. Seriously, how is the story of this game going to work when there are 10,000 other jedis running around?

PurpleMan5000
And then another 50,000 bounty hunters, 100,000 troopers! -_-. I can't wait for TOR thought it was really fun and can't wait for it to be released ^_^.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

As a Star Wars fan and Bioware remains my favorite RPG developer, I'm more then excited to play The Old Republic. 8)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"]

gunmaster55555
And then another 50,000 bounty hunters, 100,000 troopers! -_-. I can't wait for TOR thought it was really fun and can't wait for it to be released ^_^.

Well there's the challenge for BioWare.... create a SP player experience (and sort of) in an MMO environment. I think that if they pull it off, it's gonna be a revolution in MMO gaming...
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I eagerly look forward to both, and they arent competitors....GW2 is free and more action based, ToR is pay to play and a little more in line with other MMOs.

Ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ownsin
Member since 2007 • 1331 Posts
Guild Wars 2 wins this...